Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,013 members, 7,838,552 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 03:58 AM

3 Reasons Why We Should Disagree With The Mtn/shoprite Protests - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 3 Reasons Why We Should Disagree With The Mtn/shoprite Protests (967 Views)

Exam Officers Disagree With ABU VC: Dino Melaye Didn't Fulfill Requirements - SR / Nigerian Senate May Expel DSTV, MTN, Shoprite Over Xenophobic Attacks / Kachikwu Vs Amaechi: I Disagree With Kachikwu, Retrieve Money First (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

3 Reasons Why We Should Disagree With The Mtn/shoprite Protests by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 8:58am On Apr 21, 2015
Yesterday, hundreds of Nigerians went to the offices of South African companies in different areas of Nigeria to protest against the xenophobia suffered by their fellow countrymen in South Africa. The Punch reports that the protesters went to MTN, Shoprite and MultiChoice offices in different states such as Edo and Abuja.

While the protests are of good intentions because they want to see the end of xenophobic attacks, they might not be effective and they might create some negative consequences. Below are reasons why one should disagree with the current protests at South African owned companies based in Nigeria-

1) They are protesting at the wrong places; A better and more effective place to protest would be at the South African Embassies or any South African government houses in Nigeria because the cries of the protest would go directly to the South African government. The change in South Africa that we Nigerians want can only come from the South African Government and not its companies. At best, the companies can put some pressure on the government. The south African businesses have already put out statements condemning the xenophobic attacks.

2) There could be unintended economic consequences; Should the South African companies assess the political risk as very high and shut down their operations in Nigeria due to the protest, many Nigerians would lose their jobs. MTN has already warned Nigeria of 6,000 job losses if they were any reprisal attacks on it offices. This is another reason to focus the protests on the South African government rather than at the businesses which could end up with we Nigerians shooting ourselves in the foot.

3) They are letting our ineffective politicians off the hook; If the xenophobic attacks in South Africa were towards British or American immigrants/tourist, the condemnation and corrective action on the part of the American or British government would be swift- within hours there would be evacuation plans, safe houses, shelter at embassies, harsh condemnation from the ambassador and also investigations from their own intelligence agencies. The Nigerian government has been slow to action on the harsh treatment of Nigerians in South Africa over the years. These xenophobic actions did not start this year and it has been a problem many Nigerians have battled with in South Africa for a long time.

There should also be protests geared towards the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and other international arms of the Nigerian government to pressure them to have effective programmes for the security Nigerian citizens abroad.

Source; http://allnaijablog.com/3-reasons-why-we-should-disagree-with-the-mtnshoprite-protests
Re: 3 Reasons Why We Should Disagree With The Mtn/shoprite Protests by Enoquin(f): 9:19am On Apr 21, 2015
I agree with your post. Blame emotions for the misdirected protests. I was surprised when I read about the protests but I was a bit happy too, Nigerians actually got up to do something even if it was at the wrong place.

So, instead of condemnation, they should be applauded with advices such as yours on how they could carry out such protests effectively.
Re: 3 Reasons Why We Should Disagree With The Mtn/shoprite Protests by phoenixchap: 9:22am On Apr 21, 2015
I'm not supporting reprisal attack on SA businesses in NIGERIA but if nothing is done on their(govt of SA) it's better they pack their business and leave Nigeria in peace. Ask what action was taken against Israeli when they picked on ghaza town.. we can't sponsor them to kill our own.

This your topic seems like u're from SA
Re: 3 Reasons Why We Should Disagree With The Mtn/shoprite Protests by Nobody: 9:29am On Apr 21, 2015
FUUUUCK IT, LETS GO DESTROY
Re: 3 Reasons Why We Should Disagree With The Mtn/shoprite Protests by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 10:45am On Apr 21, 2015
Enoquin:
I agree with your post. Blame emotions for the misdirected protests. I was surprised when I read about the protests but I was a bit happy too, Nigerians actually got up to do something even if it was at the wrong place.

So, instead of condemnation, they should be applauded with advices such as yours on how they could carry out such protests effectively.

Agreed. They have the right intentions to protest but we need more effective and sensible campaigns against this xenophobia
Re: 3 Reasons Why We Should Disagree With The Mtn/shoprite Protests by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 10:46am On Apr 21, 2015
phoenixchap:
I'm not supporting reprisal attack on SA businesses in NIGERIA but if nothing is done on their(govt of SA) it's better they pack their business and leave Nigeria in peace. Ask what action was taken against Israeli when they picked on ghaza town.. we can't sponsor them to kill our own.

This your topic seems like u're from SA

I'm repping green white green. I'm Nigerian.

#Naijaboy
Re: 3 Reasons Why We Should Disagree With The Mtn/shoprite Protests by cy4cent(f): 10:47am On Apr 21, 2015
@ OP, ain't we ashame that S.Africans are blackmailing us and the likes of you are busy campaigning for them

that we will lose 6,000 jobs so we shouldn't send a msg across that we are no fools, so other countries that might be planning such in the future would have a change of plan?

if you had a brother being attacked in S.A you won't be here posting this South African sponsored thread!!!

Nigerians have been their own enemies since time immemorial, that you just reechoed !!!!!!

SMH....
Re: 3 Reasons Why We Should Disagree With The Mtn/shoprite Protests by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 10:55am On Apr 21, 2015
cy4cent:
@ OP, ain't we ashame that S.Africans are blackmailing us and the likes of you are busy campaigning for them

that we will lose 6,000 jobs so we shouldn't send a msg across that we are no fools, so other countries that might be planning such in the future would have a change of plan?

if you had a brother being attacked in S.A you won't be here posting this South African sponsored thread!!!

Nigerians have been their own enemies since time immemorial, that you just reechoed !!!!!!

SMH....

hehe

I think you are one of those guys that claim "APC sponsored lies" whenever anything positive is said about Buhari.

I didn't say that Nigerians should not protest. If you read before you commented, you would have noticed that I said that Nigerians should protest at the South African Embassy or government buildings in Nigeria as that would be more effective!
Re: 3 Reasons Why We Should Disagree With The Mtn/shoprite Protests by mikolo80: 2:04pm On Apr 21, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

1) They are protesting at the wrong places; A better and more effective place to protest would be at the South African Embassies or any South African government houses in Nigeria because the cries of the protest would go directly to the South African government. The change in South Africa that we Nigerians want can only come from the South African Government and not its companies. At best, the companies can put some pressure on the government. The south African businesses have already put out statements condemning the xenophobic attacks.

our police go teargas them
AllNaijaBlogger:

2) There could be unintended economic consequences; Should the South African companies assess the political risk as very high and shut down their operations in Nigeria due to the protest, many Nigerians would lose their jobs. MTN has already warned Nigeria of 6,000 job losses if they were any reprisal attacks on it offices. This is another reason to focus the protests on the South African government rather than at the businesses which could end up with we Nigerians shooting ourselves in the foot.

glo,consat and leventis don hammer be dat

AllNaijaBlogger:

3) They are letting our ineffective politicians off the hook; If the xenophobic attacks in South Africa were towards British or American immigrants/tourist, the condemnation and corrective action on the part of the American or British government would be swift- within hours there would be evacuation plans, safe houses, shelter at embassies, harsh condemnation from the ambassador and also investigations from their own intelligence agencies. The Nigerian government has been slow to action on the harsh treatment of Nigerians in South Africa over the years. These xenophobic actions did not start this year and it has been a problem many Nigerians have battled with in South Africa for a long time.

more teargas
AllNaijaBlogger:

There should also be protests geared towards the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and other international arms of the Nigerian government to pressure them to have effective programmes for the security Nigerian citizens abroad.

a shittload of teargas

Source; http://allnaijablog.com/3-reasons-why-we-should-disagree-with-the-mtnshoprite-protests[/quote] but we get your point
Re: 3 Reasons Why We Should Disagree With The Mtn/shoprite Protests by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 2:31am On Apr 22, 2015
mikolo80:

our police go teargas them

glo,consat and leventis don hammer be dat

more teargas

a shittload of teargas

Source; http://allnaijablog.com/3-reasons-why-we-should-disagree-with-the-mtnshoprite-protests but we get your point

Tear-gas?
Re: 3 Reasons Why We Should Disagree With The Mtn/shoprite Protests by mikolo80: 9:04am On Apr 22, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

Tear-gas?
yep
standard nigerian gestapoesque response
the protesters that is
Re: 3 Reasons Why We Should Disagree With The Mtn/shoprite Protests by nationwide1(m): 10:56am On Apr 22, 2015
cy4cent:

SMH....
It irks me when I hear Nigerians see loss of jobs as a good reason to stand and watch senseless killings and maiming of our people with hands folded.

My question to those people are :

1. If their relatives are affected, would they sing in such tunes?

2. Between jobs, death and permanent disability, which would they prefer?

The writer is likely a South African or a greedy employee of a South African firm.

2 Likes

Re: 3 Reasons Why We Should Disagree With The Mtn/shoprite Protests by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 1:26pm On Apr 22, 2015
nationwide1:
It irks me when I hear Nigerians see loss of jobs as a good reason to stand and watch senseless killings and maiming of our people with hands folded.

My question to those people are :

1. If their relatives are affected, would they sing in such tunes?

2. Between jobs, death and permanent disability, which would they prefer?

The writer is likely a South African or a greedy employee of a South African firm.

Perhaps, if you read the article before commenting without thinking, you would have realised that I CLEARLY STATED THAT THE PROTESTERS SHOULD HAVE PROTESTED IN FRONT OF THE SOUTH AFRICAN EMBASSY OT GOVT OFFICES IN NIGERIA.

Think before you talk. Thank God that the nairalanders that know me know that I do not work for an south African company.

(1) (Reply)

Don’t Merge NDDC With Ministry, N/ Delta Youths Warn Buhari / Increasing Fuel Costs: The Noblezone Teaches On Money! / Impeachment: Fayose Appeals To Buhari, CJN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.