Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,415 members, 7,815,936 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:23 PM

List Of Yoruba Dialects - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / List Of Yoruba Dialects (90314 Views)

The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken / The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken / A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by GodMode: 3:31pm On Apr 22, 2015
$

4 Likes

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by rhonnie(f): 3:31pm On Apr 22, 2015
Bellfun:
Okun oooo...I rep Oweland! Kabba!

Same here. Okun ooooo

3 Likes

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by hope4nigeria(m): 3:33pm On Apr 22, 2015
gr8 IJESHA NI ERE

3 Likes

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by sneak3(m): 3:34pm On Apr 22, 2015
I am the areonakankafo of OKUN land...

3 Likes

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by moscobabs(m): 3:34pm On Apr 22, 2015
jomoh:

Stop deceiving yourselves. Oyo has intonation and some other word that are not in WAEC and NECO.
Can u mention one?

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by ojomark(m): 3:34pm On Apr 22, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Itshekiri name their twins Akowa and Toti, and Yorubas name Taiwo and Kehinde, obviously dissimilar names. How do both sound distantly related to you?

That 'Akowa' means 'the one that arrived first' in Yoruba, the 'Toti' probably means something too in archaic Yoruba...

4 Likes

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by onuwaje(m): 3:34pm On Apr 22, 2015
scholes0:

Oh my goodness.... English is a Germanic language together with Dutch, Frisian, Low German (all siblings) and children of Proto-Germanic, while French , Italian, Portuguese, Romanian and Spanish are all Romance languages (children of Latin) - the structure of English is Germanic, although with many borrowed words.

Itsekiri on the other hand has a Yoruba structure, the Yoruba element of Itsekiri is not borrowed.- Without Yoruba words, itsekiri would simply cease to exist. The division is political.

Count 1-10 in Itsekiri for a start.
Even that your Onuwaje name, I know what it means.
Tell me d meaning of my name let me prove ur sorry yoruba ass wrong grin

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by GodMode: 3:35pm On Apr 22, 2015
$
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by Simplefaithy(m): 3:35pm On Apr 22, 2015
folabayo1:
I rep osun cool
Igbomina grin
. ila-orangun or ifedayo??
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by princdebola201(m): 3:35pm On Apr 22, 2015
konkonbilo:
I rep awori-lagos
Kitigbe..??

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by Djbaka(m): 3:36pm On Apr 22, 2015
That Akoko is subdivided to at least another 18 different dialects. That place is the real 'Tower of Babel' undecided

4 Likes

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by omodapson(m): 3:36pm On Apr 22, 2015
gabriplane:
akowa means first to come which is thesame as taiwo which means first to taste life...

Beautiful. Nice interpretation.

2 Likes

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by onuwaje(m): 3:36pm On Apr 22, 2015
The Yoruba dialect continuum itself consists of several dialects. The various Yoruba dialects in the Yorubaland of Nigeria can be classified into three major dialect areas: Northwest, Central, and Southeast.[9] Of course, clear boundaries can never be drawn and peripheral areas of dialectal regions often have some similarities to adjoining dialects.

North-West Yoruba (NWY).
Abẹokuta, Ibadan, Ọyọ, Ogun and Lagos (Eko) areas
Central Yoruba (CY)
Igbomina, Yagba, Ilésà, Ifẹ, Ekiti, Akurẹ, Ẹfọn, and Ijẹbu areas.
South-East Yoruba (SEY)
Okitipupa, Ilaje, Ondo, Ọwọ, Ikarẹ, Ṣagamu, and parts of Ijẹbu.
North-West Yoruba is historically a part of the Ọyọ empire. In NWY dialects, Proto-Yoruba /gh/ (the velar fricative [ɣ]) and /gw/ have merged into /w/; the upper vowels /i ̣/ and /ụ/ were raised and merged with /i/ and /u/, just as their nasal counterparts, resulting in a vowel system with seven oral and three nasal vowels. Ethnographically, traditional government is based on a division of power between civil and war chiefs; lineage and descent are unilineal and agnatic.

South-East Yoruba was probably associated with the expansion of the Benin Empire after c. 1450 AD.[10] In contrast to NWY, lineage and descent are largely multilineal and cognatic, and the division of titles into war and civil is unknown. Linguistically, SEY has retained the /gh/ and /gw/ contrast, while it has lowered the nasal vowels /ịn/ and /ụn/ to /ẹn/ and /ọn/, respectively. SEY has collapsed the second and third person plural pronominal forms; thus, àn án wá can mean either 'you (pl.) came' or 'they came' in SEY dialects, whereas NWY for example has ẹ wá 'you (pl.) came' and wọ́n wá 'they came', respectively. The emergence of a plural of respect may have prevented coalescence of the two in NWY dialects.

Central Yoruba forms a transitional area in that the lexicon has much in common with NWY, whereas it shares many ethnographical features with SEY. Its vowel system is the least innovating (most stable) of the three dialect groups, having retained nine oral-vowel contrasts and six or seven nasal vowels, and an extensive vowel harmony system.

Pls help me look for itsekiri here
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by lordmario(m): 3:37pm On Apr 22, 2015
Abeg wetin we go call Akoko (ondo state) own o cos some of dia language be like chinese

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by isralkhaleed(m): 3:38pm On Apr 22, 2015
Hollaniyii:
Where is Ibadan on this list? shocked
Ibadan people are speaking Oyo dialect

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by logica(m): 3:38pm On Apr 22, 2015
Lagosianswag:
This list is not complete. Egun.
I am not convinced Egun is a Yoruba dialect. Dialects all share words and syntax. I have never heard any recognizable Yoruba words in spoken Egun.

Meanwhile, you forgot Lukumi.

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by Nobody: 3:41pm On Apr 22, 2015
GodMode:

Wetin I do naa gringringrin

All this misinformation is spoiling history...
grin grin grin grin cool
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by Adeyinka12(m): 3:42pm On Apr 22, 2015
all4naija:
Can you prove it?
check it out http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itsekiri_language .though i don't believe in theory but my people who relate with them told me they are yorubas
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by omodapson(m): 3:42pm On Apr 22, 2015
onuwaje:

Pls help me look for itsekiri here

I can't find Awori there too. Does it make it less a Yoruba dialect?

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by Jokay07(m): 3:42pm On Apr 22, 2015
khassy:
I no be Yoruba so how e take concern me now sadsadsadsadangryangry.sad
enta lagoon grin

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by Adeyinka12(m): 3:43pm On Apr 22, 2015
onuwaje:

That's ur opinion
man this is not apinion matter.they are yorubas

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by onuwaje(m): 3:44pm On Apr 22, 2015
omodapson:

I can't find Awori there too. Does it make it less a Yoruba dialect?
To me if it's not there then it's not
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by isralkhaleed(m): 3:44pm On Apr 22, 2015
moscobabs:
oyo ( is for both OYO and OSUN states )
not all Osun are speaking Oyo dialect and not all Oyo are speaking Oyo dialect
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by zwar: 3:45pm On Apr 22, 2015
[color=#006600][/color]
starlingslimnet:
I detest Yoruba as a whole...... FYI am a Yoruba guy just the whole Lang is bleeped up....

Meanwhile nobody should quote me

Confused dude...please guys contribute some funds to him to help his ignorance...he claims to be Yoruba but hates the language..Lol... grin

5 Likes

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by ZITRAN: 3:45pm On Apr 22, 2015
walexy30:
HERE IS THE LIST AND WHERE THE SPEAKERS CAN BE FOUND:

Egba- (OGUN STATE)

Oyo- (OYO STATE AND BENIN REPUBLIC)

Igbomina- (OSUN, KWARA, ONDO, KOGI STATES AND BENIN REPUBLIC)

Okun- (KOGI, ONDO, EKITI STATES)

Itshekiri- (DELTA AND RIVERS STATES)

Ijebu- (OGUN AND LAGOS)

Iseyin- (OYO STATE)

Owu- (OGUN AND OSUN STATE)

Anago- (BENIN REPUBLIC)

Ibolo- (OSUN AND KWARA STATES)

Awori- (LAGOS AND OGUN STATE)

Yewa- (OGUN STATE)

Ekiti- (EKITI AND KWARA STATES)

Ijesa- (OSUN STATE)

Ilorin- (KWARA STATE)

Akoko- (EDO AND ONDO STATES)

Ilaje- (ONDO STATE)

Ife- (OSUN STATE).

Please, there is one dialect I can't remember: They are very close to the ilaje's in Ondo State. If you know it, please, fill the gas.

THANKS.
Igbomina no be OSUN
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by logica(m): 3:45pm On Apr 22, 2015
Adeyinka12:
Look, it is their problem if they insist they are not Yorubas. The main thing is, they speak a Yoruba dialect. That needs no argument. It's like Aussies saying they are not British. No wahala; the language you speak nko?
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by gabriplane(m): 3:46pm On Apr 22, 2015
onuwaje:

Bros. Just because latin,spanish,french words re used in english language wud u say that english is a sibling of those languages?
brother I agree with you that itsekiri is not yoruba just like ijebu, egba, owu, ijesha, ekiti e.t.c are not yorubas but we all call ourselves yorubas because the yoruba language is our lingua franca....and our language makes us one..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by onuwaje(m): 3:47pm On Apr 22, 2015
Adeyinka12:
Bros.. we r nt.. because we ve similarity does nt mean itsekiri r yoruba.. we don't even dress d same
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by tochstorm(m): 3:48pm On Apr 22, 2015
if this thread was igbo................... .
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by Nobody: 3:48pm On Apr 22, 2015
OKE OGUN DIALECT IS ISEYIN

1 Like

Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by onuwaje(m): 3:49pm On Apr 22, 2015
gabriplane:
brother I agree with you that itsekiri is not yoruba just like ijebu, egba, owu, ijesha, ekiti e.t.c are not yorubas but we all call ourselves yorubas because the yoruba language is our lingua franca....and our language makes us one..
I wonder why dey fail to understand this
Re: List Of Yoruba Dialects by Nobody: 3:49pm On Apr 22, 2015
zwar:
[color=#006600][/color]

Confused dude...please guys contribute some funds to him to help his ignorance...he claims to be Yoruba but hates the language..Lol... grin
If you are a Yoruba you will understand

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Igbo Name For Fruits / Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? / Photo Of Ooni Of Ife's New Wife As Claimed By Women Of Rubies (But It Is Fake)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.