Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,661 members, 7,809,500 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:36 AM

Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? (23012 Views)

Interesting Facts About The Igbo People / The Igbo Calendar And Its Influences On Igbo People / Marriage between Yoruba And Igbo people On The Rise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by Omenani(m): 9:06pm On Nov 15, 2010
I do not think it is exaggerated. However, blacks in general have different hues. I have seen many light Igbos and I have seen many dark Igbos. It is in our genome that we possess different colorizations. Let us not forget that we Igbos have high incidences of Albinism as well.

An example I like to use is that my brother is light, my sister is dark, while I am stuck in the middle as it pertains to color. We all come from the same parents.

1 Like

Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by chyz(m): 10:24pm On Nov 15, 2010
Omenani:

I do not think it is exaggerated. However, blacks in general have different hues. I have seen many light Igbos and I have seen many dark Igbos. It is in our genome that we possess different colorizations. Let us not forget that we Igbos have high incidences of Albinism as well.

An example I like to use is that my brother is light, my sister is dark, while I am stuck in the middle as it pertains to color. We all come from the same parents.

My family is the same way.
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by pleep(m): 1:47am On Sep 14, 2011
@op your Igbo right? shouldn't you know yourself?

Well, out of the tribes in the S.E the Igbo's are defiantly the lightest skinned.
But often regular med-brown skin gets called 'light'

But as for the people that are unusually light, i think its  really cool when they come to America and everyone is confused thinking "your supposed to be jet black, your from Africa!" i think it even bothers some people.

teaches them not to pidgin-hole people i guess.

Anyway, its funny i have a relative that has the same problem as some of you guys mentioned earlier. If u see the way women shamelessly lust after him its ridiculous. Black women always lie and say they prefer darker skinned men, but i don't belive them. You guys just go insane for light african men.
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by Nobody: 2:24am On Sep 16, 2011
light skinned africans are the result of mixing. it doesn't make them any less african but they are.

my bf's mother is light skinned and his father dark in complexion. On his mother's side they are light due to a certain "ancestor" who himself was light skinned in complexion due to having African AND Arab blood.

you'll find light skinned africans in areas that historically speaking was involved in the slave trade or had
dealings with arabs hence difference in hair texture, religion and language. Igbos are no exception
but from my understanding MAJORITY of the Igbos are dark skinned.

1 Like

Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by saiyaman: 2:57am On Sep 16, 2011
MsDarkSkin:

light skinned africans are the result of mixing. it doesn't make them any less african but they are.

my bf's mother is light skinned and his father dark in complexion. On his mother's side they are light due to a certain "ancestor" who himself was light skinned in complexion due to having African AND Arab blood.

you'll find light skinned africans in areas that historically speaking was involved in the slave trade or had
dealings with arabs hence difference in hair texture, religion and language. Igbos are no exception

No not really, Hausa people have slight Arab ancestry and often darker than Southerners from the pictures I've seen, so it not left to admixture, climate, diet, and plenty of other things can cause melanin count to be higher and lower in some groups.

Monalisa Chinda is light and Igbo not because admixture but because somewhere along the line one of her ancestors adapted the trait for lighter skin. The San people are their color because something may have caused the need for that adaptation.

Quite a few Ethiopians are fair in complexion and time and time again there is no sign of admixture, so its not always being mixed,
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by Nobody: 6:34pm On Sep 16, 2011
saiyaman:

No not really, Hausa people have slight Arab ancestry and often darker than Southerners from the pictures I've seen, so it not left to admixture, climate, diet, and plenty of other things can cause melanin count to be higher and lower in some groups.

Monalisa Chinda is light and Igbo not because admixture but because somewhere along the line one of her ancestors adapted the trait for lighter skin. The San people are their color because something may have caused the need for that adaptation.

Quite a few Ethiopians are fair in complexion and time and time again there is no sign of admixture, so its not always being mixed,

actually it is due to mixture. all of the ppls you listed have a history of mingling with and intermixing with arab ppls or their descendants such as the fulani and the woodabi ppl. depending on whom you ask arabs themselves are mixed (a form of black) so therefore to some ppl it is not interracial but rather ethnic mixing  tongue.

either way the bloodline is not 100 percent pure however they (light skinned folks) are not any less african than you or i as the skin color is only chosen randomly from the gene pool as you stated. however i don't believe in evolution or 'adaptation' but rather in mixing.

Much of the mixing occurred prior to the act of recording or taking notes which is waaaaay down the line hence the acceptance of the different shades even prior to slavery which only became an issue once whites and arab traders capitalized on it to divide groups and make profit. African and Arab interaction is as old as time. This is noted even with the issue of slavery as Arabs took in African women for wives and the men for soldiers or servants and vice versa. Also many trans-Atlantic slaves were dedicated muslims and also ranged in different hues depending on where they came from - again places where there was more arab interaction/influence.

1 Like

Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by ezeagu(m): 6:45pm On Sep 16, 2011
MsDarkSkin:

Igbo people did not have dealings with Arabs, if they did, a portion would probably be Muslim like the rest of West Africa that became Islamic. Also, they would be recorded by Arabs and probably given a name like they gave Fulani. The light skin among some Igbo people is being attributed to UV rays and the shade from the Equatorial forest, although I don't know how true that is. There have been tests on all types of Igbo people and they all came out as fully sub-Saharan, whereas the Fulani come out 5% or above Asian.

1 Like

Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by Nobody: 8:08pm On Sep 16, 2011
and this lack of UV light explains the presence of Baggara Arab like folks in Nigeria's north east, cameroon's northern, and chad's north west regions too right?  tongue
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by ezeagu(m): 8:16pm On Sep 16, 2011
The point was that there are no Arabs living amongst the Igbo even till now.
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by ChinenyeN(m): 8:30pm On Sep 16, 2011
Some people would rather swear on their life that light skin is only as a result of mixture with foreigners, than to understand that melanin can come in all shades.
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by Nobody: 9:37pm On Sep 16, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Some people would rather swear on their life that light skin is only as a result of mixture with foreigners, than to understand that melanin can come in all shades.

and who are "some people"? referring by names is polite.

ezeagu:

The point was that there are no Arabs living amongst the Igbo even till now.

your opinion.
if you think being igbo means you know EVERYTHING about your past then thats your own issue.
i am jamaican/American and don't know everything about my past. im open to other ideas. based on my observations i see the resemblance between bi-racial blacks and lighter skinned africans. also i have noted that
igbos are believed to have originated in places that are predominately "arab" today and even back then.
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by saiyaman: 9:41pm On Sep 16, 2011
MsDarkSkin:

actually it is due to mixture. all of the ppls you listed have a history of mingling with and intermixing with arab ppls or their descendants such as the fulani and the woodabi ppl. depending on whom you ask arabs themselves are mixed (a form of black) so therefore to some ppl it is not interracial but rather ethnic mixing  tongue.

either way the bloodline is not 100 percent pure however they (light skinned folks) are not any less african than you or i as the skin color is only chosen randomly from the gene pool as you stated. however i don't believe in evolution or 'adaptation' but rather in mixing.

Much of the mixing occurred prior to the act of recording or taking notes which is waaaaay down the line hence the acceptance of the different shades even prior to slavery which only became an issue once whites and arab traders capitalized on it to divide groups and make profit. African and Arab interaction is as old as time. This is noted even with the issue of slavery as Arabs took in African women for wives and the men for soldiers or servants and vice versa. Also many trans-Atlantic slaves were dedicated muslims and also ranged in different hues depending on where they came from - again places where there was more arab interaction/influence.

Ethiopians are not mixed if anything Arabs came from out of the area and not into it,
Do you have any proof for the mixing or do you assume that every black African should be three shades midnight to be a true African, if people could leave out of Africa and become lighter it is very likely for those same conditions to occur in Africa. The South East has portions of it that is heavily forested, its possible that created the need for lighter skin to maximize the available light to create Vitamin D

The fact that Igbo people are not Muslim is the biggest flaw, how can most groups that have come in contact with Arabs become Muslim but the Igbo?
And what area are you assuming Igbo people to have previously lived in to even come in Contact with Arabs.
The fact you don't believe evolution occurs makes your theory pretty bogus  undecided
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by ezeagu(m): 9:45pm On Sep 16, 2011
MsDarkSkin:

your opinion.
if you think being igbo means you know EVERYTHING about your past then thats your own issue.
i am jamaican/American and don't know everything about my past. im open to other ideas. based on my observations i see the resemblance between bi-racial blacks and lighter skinned africans. also i have noted that
igbos are believed to have originated in places that are predominately "arab" today and even back then.

It's not an opinion, there are certain signs that would have shown Arab contact, including genetics, yet there are none, even if there was one, it's not enough to have significantly affected over 20 million people because any contact would have been obviously so little as to have been 'forgotten' with no evidence. Even the Yoruba had the Arabic script and Islam and they are considered mostly darker compared to the Igbo. When the Igbo started encountering Europeans, they thought they were evil spirits.

If the lighter skin complexion is caused by Arabs that would mean that the majority of Africans are unevenly mixed with Arabs including the Xhosa who are even lighter than the Igbo and the Khoisan that have older roots, apparently.
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by Nobody: 10:44pm On Sep 16, 2011
saiyaman:

Ethiopians are not mixed if anything Arabs came from out of the area and not into it,
Do you have any proof for the mixing or do you assume that every black African should be three shades midnight to be a true African, if people could leave out of Africa and become lighter it is very likely for those same conditions to occur in Africa. The South East has portions of it that is heavily forested, its possible that created the need for lighter skin to maximize the available light to create Vitamin D

The fact that Igbo people are not Muslim is the biggest flaw, how can most groups that have come in contact with Arabs become Muslim but the Igbo?
And what area are you assuming Igbo people to have previously lived in to even come in Contact with Arabs.
The fact you don't believe evolution occurs makes your theory pretty bogus  undecided

ONE HAS TO BE MUSLIM TO BE OF ARAB DESCENT?! Ok oo. I must read up on TAINO indian customs and change my life style FAST!!! Since one must be of a certain religion to be a descendant of a group. tongue PULEEEZ!!

If you read what most Igbos say on here and off the forum you would understand how i came to my conclusions. Apparently they came from the east and according to this thread. . .

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-499496.0.html

· The Israeli Version
        One of the most popular versions of the migratory stories of origin of the Igbo people is the one that points to Israel. This assumption is based on the so-called similarities between the cultures of the Igbo and the ancient Hebrew. Some Igbo scholars consider themselves as off-shoots of the lost tribes of the Hebrews who migrated southwar.

this would GUARANTEE that they had contact with what we know as Arabs or Ha-mites.
My support or disbelief in evolution is MY opinion nothing BOGUS about it.  tongue

1 Like

Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by Nobody: 10:51pm On Sep 16, 2011
ezeagu:

It's not an opinion, there are certain signs that would have shown Arab contact, including genetics, yet there are none, even if there was one, it's not enough to have significantly affected over 20 million people because any contact would have been obviously so little as to have been 'forgotten' with no evidence. Even the Yoruba had the Arabic script and Islam and they are considered mostly darker compared to the Igbo. When the Igbo started encountering Europeans, they thought they were evil spirits.

If the lighter skin complexion is caused by Arabs that would mean that the majority of Africans are unevenly mixed with Arabs including the Xhosa who are even lighter than the Igbo and the Khoisan that have older roots, apparently.

I never said ALL Igbos are of Arab descent! or are you all implying that ALL Igbos are light?  grin
that is the group that I am referring to. Let's not forget also that the majority of ppl who were sold into slavery from nigeria were Igbos whose women were undoubtedly impregnated by white traders and slaver masters. Also it is little known history that a small number of Igbos are descendants of returned slaves. I forgot which "pro igbo" thread I saw it on here but it was very interesting.  smiley

if you look at Africa on a geographical scale and you look at the people/demographics of certain areas, those the hardest to come into contact with such as the bushes of DRC, Rwanda, CAR, Burundi; etc contain ppl who are soo black they are almost blue  tongue. if you find someone from the congolese (etc) bush who is light skinned 9 times out of 10 then have belgian blood in them from waaay down the line or they bleach. the areas of africa that were easiest to travel to have a significant number of mullatos or negroid-arab in them. this pertains to upper sub-saharan africa and southern tip of africa.

when my ancestors boarded the slave ships they were not called COLOREDS, they were called BLACK. This is how they were depicted:

http://www.google.com/search?q=african+slaves&hl=en&prmd=imvnsur&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=pMVzTuOGH9K1tgem0-nPDA&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CA0Q_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=677

all one shade. dark.  undecided the only issue i have to fit the puzzle together is if the arabs and igbos mixed, WHY werent some of my ancestors depicted as yellow? i really begs me to wonder unless there were certain areas in which slaves were taken. undecided undecided it's weird and i am still trying to figure it out. the good thing is that I am interested in it and willing to do the research. smiley
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by ChinenyeN(m): 11:16pm On Sep 16, 2011
MsDarkSkin:

and who are "some people"? referring by names is polite.
Not necessarily you, if that's what you're getting at. I'm just commenting on the people I've come across who've made similar (better yet, much worse) comments than you have, in this topic. Your comments reminded me of them.
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by saiyaman: 11:17pm On Sep 16, 2011
MsDarkSkin:

ONE HAS TO BE MUSLIM TO BE OF ARAB DESCENT?! Ok oo. I must read up on TAINO indian customs and change my life style FAST!!! Since one must be of a certain religion to be a descendant of a group. tongue PULEEEZ!!

If you read what most Igbos say on here and off the forum you would understand how i came to my conclusions. Apparently they came from the east and according to this thread. . .

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-499496.0.html

this would GUARANTEE that they had contact with what we know as Arabs or Ha-mites.
My support or disbelief in evolution is MY opinion nothing BOGUS about it.  tongue

No the fact of the matter is that when ever Africans came in contact with Arabs they often took up Islam which is why most of the ethnic groups across West Africa who are closest to the Sahara are Muslim (places of contact with Arabs). The reason why Somalis are muslim parts of Ethiopia and so on and so forth,

Focus West Africa and Tainos are two different things

Even though genetics which is more credible says otherwise, well ok lipsrsealed I guess a story is proof over DNA science, Even recording by Europeans remarked that some Igbo people had a yellowish color surely since they were rap.ping left and right they would not have noted this,

The origin of the Igbo people is as controversial as that of the Yoruba and the Bini. There are so many versions and it is very difficult to say which is the most acceptable.
The biggest tip off not to take anything as true and whole fact,
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by Nobody: 11:21pm On Sep 16, 2011
saiyaman:

No the fact of the matter is that when ever Africans came in contact with Arabs they often took up Islam which is why most of the ethnic groups across West Africa who are closest to the Sahara are Muslim (places of contact with Arabs). The reason why Somalis are muslim parts of Ethiopia and so on and so forth,

Focus West Africa and Tainos are two different things

Even though genetics which is more credible says otherwise, well ok lipsrsealed I guess a story is proof over DNA science,

focus nothing. let's not play dumb i was being sarcastic hence my explanation of mentioning tainos thereafter.  tongue
and I quote:

MsDarkSkin:

ONE HAS TO BE MUSLIM TO BE OF ARAB DESCENT?! Ok oo. I must read up on TAINO indian customs and change my life style FAST!!! [size=18pt]Since one must be of a certain religion to be a descendant of a group[/size]. tongue PULEEEZ!!

until igbos are DNA tested and/or i can see it documented or video'd on youtube grin i'll stick to my hypothesis.  smiley
as for the Europeans claiming Igbos had 'yellowish complexion' thing, paste your source please.

ChinenyeN:

Not necessarily you, if that's what you're getting at. I'm just commenting on the people I've come across who've made similar (better yet, much worse) comments than you have, in this topic. Your comments reminded me of them.

ok.
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by saiyaman: 11:42pm On Sep 16, 2011
MsDarkSkin:

focus nothing. let's not play dumb i was being sarcastic hence my explanation of mentioning tainos thereafter.  tongue
and I quote:

until igbos are DNA tested and/or i can see it documented or video'd on youtube  grin i'll stick to my hypothesis.  smiley
as for the Europeans claiming Igbos had 'yellowish complexion' thing, paste your source please.

ok.

Its called sarcasm

http://books.google.com/books?id=_lmFzFgsTZYC&pg=PA168#v=onepage&q&f=false

http://books.google.com/books?id=KGrKMP9AiGsC&pg=PA251&dq=igbo+light+skin&hl=en&ei=nM1zTurJMoKCtgex_Ly7DA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=8&ved=0CFIQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q=igbo%20light%20skin&f=false

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=bks&tbo=1&q=igbo+light+skin&btnG=#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&tbo=1&tbm=bks&source=hp&q=igbo+yellow+skin&pbx=1&oq=igbo+yellow+skin&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=227359l231100l0l231397l13l12l1l0l0l1l1074l5792l0.1.4.1.0.2.1.2l11l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=49f6548467eb52ff&biw=1366&bih=665

http://books.google.com/books?id=-WA7AQAAIAAJ&pg=PA315&dq=eboe+yellow+skin&hl=en&ei=cc9zTsmdI9C4tge56eiqDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CDsQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=eboe%20yellow%20skin&f=false

http://books.google.com/books?id=oZItAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA369&dq=eboe+yellow+skin&hl=en&ei=cc9zTsmdI9C4tge56eiqDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CEgQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=eboe%20yellow%20skin&f=false

http://books.google.com/books?id=QAfma-TdZpIC&pg=PA119&dq=eboe+yellow+skin&hl=en&ei=cc9zTsmdI9C4tge56eiqDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CFIQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=eboe%20yellow%20skin&f=false

I prefer science and figures, some like stories I guess,
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by pleep(m): 11:53pm On Sep 16, 2011
MsDarkSkin:

dealings with arabs hence difference in hair texture, religion and language.
How dare you, this is 100% trash.  What is so hard for people to accept about Africans being light skinned without being mixed with other fuckin races? You do not understand the slave trade, the people who the slavers violated were SLAVES not free people. So the Igbo who ended up becoming mixed all went to the Americas not back to Nigeria.

Look at the picture below. . this is a khoisan man, 100% pure African. How is it that almost all of them got to be light skinned, when they are some of the oldest people of Africa? just because you are mixed doesn't mean we all are. This is getting rediculous.

Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by pleep(m): 12:02am On Sep 17, 2011
people will always point to someone like Alek Wek or a south Sudanese person and say "this is the one and only pure african"  No the hell not, many light skinned people are even more pure than them.

The Nilotic people live the harshest conditions in Africa. There few trees in that region so they are exposed to direct sunlight everyday, the temperature is almost always above 100 degrees and there is barely any water. That is why they look the way they do.

People in other parts of Africa have adapted to their own particular climate. S.E Nigeria is heavily forested so there is enough shade for lighter skinned people to live normally.
Southern Africa is colder than other regions, thus the Khoisan have lighter skin. They also have narrow eyes like the Asians because they live near the Kalahari desert region. Ethiopia is mountainous, so it is more temperate than other parts of the continent so the people are thinner noses, straighter hair, etc.

1 Like

Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by saiyaman: 12:03am On Sep 17, 2011
pleep:

How dare you, this is 100% trash.  What is so hard for people to accept about Africans being light skinned without being mixed with other fuckin races? You do not understand the slave trade, the people who the slavers violated were SLAVES not free people. So the Igbo who ended up becoming mixed all went to the Americas not back to Nigeria.

Look at the picture below. . this is a khoisan man, 100% pure African. How is it that almost all of them got to be light skinned, when they are some of the oldest people of Africa? just because you are mixed doesn't mean we all are. This is getting rediculous.

I have no problem with having different theories of the reason why some Igbo people are light, but the problem is that she is not showing any facts to back up her claims.

At no point in Igbo history was there contact with Arab people nor are there any places for overlap to occur between the two groups.

In addition to that the Igbo practice their own religion until the British arrived, the trend through out Africa is that where Africans and Arabs came in contact they often took up Islam which is the case for much of the sahel of West Africa, why would the Igbo be any different?

The fact that in recording from Europeans they remarked that some Igbo were fair and yellow in appearance, if they were having se.x with Igbo women would they not already know the reason for their looks.

The fact that fair features have cropped up Igbo art for ages before Europeans set foot

And I say this as a Black American woman
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by Nobody: 12:07am On Sep 17, 2011
[size=18pt]*yawns*[/size]

it's just like pleep to come right on cue and express his over dramatic outrage.
abeg, try out for nollywood. you MUST come out on top.  tongue albinoism and lightskin are two COMPLETELY different things. futhermore alicia keys is biracial and older than me but because she is older, does that make her more "black than i"? grin grin

as for you saiyaman. i've already posted my link and stated that i know my belief may be flawed. i never insulted you nor said what i said was TRUTH, did i? so keep trying to find some sort of reason to continue your foolishness and trying to make some sort of alliance with pleep. this is not an argument but rather a chance to share views.

since some folks want to make it a personal thing, i think i'll continue this when the person i was talking to from the beginning returns. i will check out your links but other than that i heard you and am moving on.

update: LMAO grin informative sources. i still believe in what i've stated before.
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by pleep(m): 12:11am On Sep 17, 2011
MsDarkSkin:

since some folks want to make it a personal thing, i think i'll continue this when the person i was talking to from the beginning returns. i will check out your links but other than that i heard you and am moving on.
Yes, very personal my mother is light skinned (Annang) and you have offended me.

MsDarkSkin:

it's just like pleep to come right on cue and express his over dramatic outrage.
abeg, try out for nollywood. you MUST come out on top.  tongue

Haha, well it seems i am developing a reputation. Well, i want everyone to know that any self respecting Nigerian should take the insinuation that their people are mixed to a large degree as offensive. Even more so the suggestion that they were violated in their own country.

Its just not true, and there is no proof.
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by Nobody: 12:17am On Sep 17, 2011
pleep reading and comprehension must not be a stregnth of yours. at any rate you can twist up my statements.
i am used to your theatrics. im actually finding it entertaining! but please spare me  grin

as for your mother, sorry if i offended but my family aint exactly all dark either  tongue/ at least we here in the west (REAL african americans/caribbeans  grin) know what went down hence the different hues (mixing voluntarily and at times forced). unfortunately in africa somethings were left out of the history books or in local stories (in fact many africans dont even know about the slave trade much less white on black raape).

my baby sister is lighter than the cream colored walls in my house  grin am i moaning and groaning because she is mixed some where down the line? NO. i still see her as black and as i stated 3 TIMES before it doesn't make her any less black than me as we share the same blood line its just my "dice rolled on dark" grin. its just im all about digging deep not just settling for what i am taught. again if it offended you my bad but thats how it is.  tongue
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by saiyaman: 12:19am On Sep 17, 2011
MsDarkSkin:

abeg, try out for nollywood. you MUST come out on top.  tongue albinoism and lightskin are two COMPLETELY different things. futhermore alicia keys is biracial and older than me but because she is older, does that make her more "black than i"?  grin grin

as for you saiyaman. i've already posted my link and stated that i know my belief may be flawed. i never insulted you nor said what i said was TRUTH, did i? so keep trying to find some sort of reason to continue your foolishness and trying to make some sort of alliance with pleep. this is not an argument but rather a chance to share views.

update: LMAO  grin informative sources. i still believe in what i've stated before.

Um no offense but your source was Nairaland lol Wikipedia would have been even more scholarly  grin
What are you talking about, are you offended because I challenged your opinion? Is that not how people discuss things or would you prefer for all of to agree with your line of thinking even if it doesn't have much fact beyond "they have to be mixed"

Those sources come from writings of Europeans who actually went to the region which is a lot more credible in my opinion, they documented what they saw.
In addition to a Jamaican English dictionary and writings of the ethnic groups brought to the Caribbean.

Well we all have the right to believe in whatever we like even if its completely false and devoid of fact grin

I'd like you to bring out some sources not from Nairaland please grin grin
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by Nobody: 12:21am On Sep 17, 2011
saiyaman:

Um no offense but your source was Nairaland lol Wikipedia would have been even more scholarly  grin
What are you talking about, are you offended because I challenged your opinion? Is that not how people discuss things or would you prefer for all of to agree with your line of thinking even if it doesn't have much fact beyond "they have to be mixed"

Those sources come from writings of Europeans who actually went to the region which is a lot more credible in my opinion, they documented what they saw.

Well we all have the right to believe in whatever we like even if its completely false and devoid of fact grin

good for you but in case you didn't know i quoted someone who quoted from another source.
thank you though. like i said finding quotes about old patois is nice and educative however it doesn't change my opinion  tongue. glad you accept i have the right to it. alright then. ciao.

keep modifying your posts grin and thinking i am offended. when you tried to call my opinion bogus because you do not share it thats when i knew you were still on the other shitt. kinda tired as hell.
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by saiyaman: 12:23am On Sep 17, 2011
MsDarkSkin:

good for you but in case you didn't know i quoted someone who quoted from another source.
thank you though. like i said finding quotes about old patois is nice and educative however it doesn't change my opinion  tongue. glad you accept i have the right to it. alright then. ciao.

You didn't quote anything lol unless you typed up their quote in fine print lol
Like I said even a wrong ill informed opinion has a right to be an opinion lmao grin

I guess this is the part where you disappear as usual  grin

I modify my post to address stuff you said that I may have missed the first time around, and the reason I called your Theory bogus was because you have yet to cite any source other than your own opinion, I can think the sky is purple but until I back it up with facts that say yes it is purple then my opinion is moot grin
Why do I care if you are offended, if you have an argument you should defend it. Simple. 

If you are tired I suggest you go take a nap grin
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by saiyaman: 12:29am On Sep 17, 2011
Anyway does anyone with actual facts and documentation of some sort have anything to add to this conversation smiley
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by pleep(m): 12:31am On Sep 17, 2011
MsDarkSkin:

as for your mother, sorry if i offended but my family aint exactly all dark either  tongue/ at least we here in the west (REAL african americans/caribbeans  grin) know what went down hence the different hues (mixing voluntarily and at times forced). unfortunately in africa somethings were left out of the history books or in local stories (in fact many africans dont even know about the slave trade much less white on black raape).

my baby sister is lighter than the cream colored walls in my house  grin am i moaning and groaning because she is mixed some where down the line? NO. i still see her as black and as i stated 3 TIMES before it doesn't make her any less black than me as we share the same blood line its just my "dice rolled on dark"  grin. its just im all about digging deep not just settling for what i am taught. again if it offended you my bad but thats how it is.  tongue
Well, i'm not saying there is nothing wrong with having lighter skin.

Yes u guys are mixed, but we are not. My families village was in a remote area too far inland to be involved in the slave trade. The first time they saw white people was probably in the 1930's. And we have enough oral genealogy records to show that none of them was mixed.  And there are 1000's of other Nigerians in the same situation, so what your saying here doesn't make any sense to us.

Honestly, do you know how improbable it is that a slave trader would get the opportunity to impregnate a random Nigerian girl in a village? and how much more unlikely it would be that she would keep the child? back then we killed twins, not to talk of children of violation. . .

but, as for mixture um. . . yes it does make you less black. And its nothing to be proud of honestly.
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by Nobody: 12:33am On Sep 17, 2011
saiyaman:

You didn't quote anything lol unless you typed up their quote in fine print lol
Like I said even a wrong ill informed opinion has a right to be an opinion lmao grin

I guess this is the part where you disappear as usual  grin

right. and looking up slang to back up info is correct i guess.  tongue

ON A FORUM this is how you quote:
[/quote]

this isn't an essay. your posting links is another way to back up claims.
common sense.

disappear from ??
what you want a kumbayah?  grin  grin i should stick around here for?  
please! i DO have a movie to watch! Since you want to chit chat so damn bad,
you ever watch Guilty Pleasures, the nollywood movie? its rather old but funny!
watch it if you don't have anything else to do maybe then we can discuss something afterwards  tongue

[quote author=pleep link=topic=227222.msg9162770#msg9162770 date=1316215906]
Well, i'm not saying there is nothing wrong with having lighter skin.

Yes u guys are mixed, but we are not. My families village was in a remote area too far inland to be involved in the slave trade. The first time they saw white people was probably in the 1930's. And we have enough oral genealogy records to show that none of them was mixed.  And there are 1000's of other Nigerians in the same situation, so what your saying here doesn't make any sense to us.

Honestly, do you know how improbable it is that a slave trader would get the opportunity to impregnate a random Nigerian girl in a village? and how much more unlikely it would be that she would keep the child? back then we killed twins, not to talk of children of violation. . .

but, as for mixture um. . . yes it does make you less black. And its nothing to be proud of honestly.

@pleep clap for yourself  grin so now i am only talking about white ppl and lightskinned? i did mention arabs who have interacted with africans LONG before whites even knew a brown man existed much less black. i did state that.

and if being mixed is nothing to be proud of then. . .you are more racist than you claim i am.
killing twins is something to not be proud of not being racially diverse. tongue
Re: Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated? by saiyaman: 12:39am On Sep 17, 2011
MsDarkSkin:

right. and looking up slang to back up info is correct i guess.  tongue

ON A FORUM this is how you quote:

this isn't an essay. your posting links is another way to back up claims.
common sense.

disappear from ??
what you want a kumbayah?  grin  grin i should stick around here for?  
please! i DO have a movie to watch! Since you want to chit chat so damn bad,
you ever watch Guilty Pleasures, the nollywood movie? watch it if you don't have anything else to do
maybe then we can discuss something afterwards  tongue

Well its an official document and its a dictionary which are considered credible sources.

I'm asking[b] you[/b] who did you [/b]cite that backs up[b] your claim, is that clearer? And a source that does not come from Nairaland grin

Then go watch you movie, I'm not stopping you
I don't want to chat I'm only answering responses made to my post, if you don't want a response then don't quote me?!
Yeah I doubt we have the same taste in films, I'll pass grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

NGWA PEOPLE: Are They Really Cannibals? / Names Of Past And Present Attah Igala / DHA 2020: Ooni Of Ife Receives Imperial Royal Father Of The Year Awards In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 134
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.