Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,278 members, 7,822,377 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:39 AM

The 2015 Macabre Elections In Rivers State: Amaechi’s Magic Wand To The Rescue - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The 2015 Macabre Elections In Rivers State: Amaechi’s Magic Wand To The Rescue (1985 Views)

Jonathan To Observe General Elections In Zambia / Abba Kyari Meets Ambode After The Rescue Of Kidnapped Lagos Schoolgirls / How I Delivered Good Governance To Rivers State - Amaechi - Premium Times (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The 2015 Macabre Elections In Rivers State: Amaechi’s Magic Wand To The Rescue by Orikinla(m): 5:01pm On Apr 23, 2015
“As I was doing this piece, I was watching the AIT showing the celebration of the phantom victory of Chief Nyesome Wike and PDP members. I wondered if those participating in the celebration were aware of the reputation of Governor Amaechi as regards his political struggles and the usual outcome after he must have been written off by the uninformed. To me the PDP victory celebration is a celebration in the moon as it will take only few weeks for both Chief Wike and his PDP followers to face the reality that you cannot cover the sun with a finger”.

The 2015 Macabre Elections in Rivers State: Amaechi’s Magic Wand to the Rescue
•His battle to turn the table on Wike and PDP

~ By EZE CHUKWUEMEKA EZE

Preamble and political life
Trying to capture the picture of the sham that is called the 2015 general elections in Rivers State, South-South of Nigeria, I lacked the words to capture what happened but Dictonary.com came to my aid with the word ‘macabre’, which it defined as gruesome and horrifying; ghastly; horrible. The elections in Rivers State is the kind of stuff you read about in a James Hardly Chase novel and even the Africa Magic films could not have done anything near the horror that took place in Rivers State on March 28th and April 11th, 2015, during which 19 human beings were murdered like chicken and some beheaded.

As I was contemplating about these elections after watching several of the PDP victory celebrations on most of the television networks in Nigeria, my mind went back to one of the key actors (RT. HON. CHIBUIKE ROTIMI AMAECHI) in these actions who once stated that the 2015 elections in Rivers State is all about him and his feats in Rivers State. I started to wonder what type of chance this Amaechi and his party, APC, have against the type of seasoned bulldozers and betrayers, all conjuring and accomplished politicians that I saw backing Chief Nyesome Wike, the Governor-elect, according to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

In my wonderment, I researched on the mystery behind this man (CHIBUIKE ROTIMI AMAECHI) addressed in some quarters as the Lion of the Niger Delta Politics and came to the conclusion that it was too early for the PDP to start any form of celebration because their chief opponent in the person of Rt. Hon. Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi is a person that is gifted in turning the table when it seems highly impossible to do so. It is my findings about the past struggles and successes of this consummate politician that I intend to share with you. After the presentation, you can then understand why I said that it was too early for Chief Wike and his group to embark upon any form of celebration.
In my studies, Wikipedia, the free encyclopaedia, came to my aid with the appropriate word to describe this man whose impact in the politics of Nigeria is infectious: ‘Audacity’, which it described as boldness, bravery, courage and daring.

Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill, a British politician, was the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1940 to 1945 and from 1951 to 1955. Widely regarded as one of the greatest wartime leaders of the 20th century, Churchill was also an officer in the British Army, a historian, a writer, and an artist. He is the only British Prime Minister in history to have received the Nobel Prize in Literature, and was also the first person to be made an Honorary Citizen of the United States. According to this great man, “There is no limit to the ingenuity of man if it is properly and vigorously applied under conditions of peace and justice.” In another breath; he stated: “Battles are won by slaughter and manoeuvre. The greater the general, the more he contributes in manoeuvre, the less he demands in slaughter.” After tasting great wars and the results of diplomacy this great statesman declared and I quote, “To jaw-jaw is always better than to war-war.”

PROFILING RT. HON. CHIBUIKE ROTIMI AMAECHI, CON

Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi was born in Ubima, Ikwerre Local Government Area of Rivers State, to the family of late Elder Fidelis Amaechi and Mrs Mary Amaechi. University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT) in Rivers State was where Amaechi laid the foundation of his political life, participating actively in student union politics, especially in the National Union of Rivers State Students (NURSS), of which he was President, and the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS). After graduation, he cut his teeth in politics as Secretary of the now defunct National Republican Convention (NRC) in Ikwerre Local Government Area of Rivers State from 1992 to 1994. He was Special Assistant to Dr. Peter Odili, the then Deputy Governor of Rivers State, and also a member of the Board of West Africa Glass Industry as well as Risonpalm Nigeria Limited. He was Secretary of the Caretaker Committee of the Rivers State Chapter of the disbanded Democratic Party of Nigeria (DPN) in 1996 during the transition programme of the General Sani Abacha junta.

In 1999, Amaechi contested and won a seat to become a member of the Rivers State House of Assembly to represent his constituency. He was subsequently elected Speaker of the House of Assembly as well as Chairman of Nigeria’s Conference of Speakers of State Assemblies. He was re-elected into the State House of Assembly in May 2003 and equally re-elected Speaker. A Master’s Degree holder, Amaechi’s assumption of office as Governor based on a Supreme Court judgement after PDP dumped him despite his convincingly winning the party’s gubernatorial ticket, remains a mystery to many political watchers in the country. By May 29th, 2015 Amaechi would have spent eight years as Governor of Rivers State. He is currently Chairman of the Nigeria Governors’ Forum (NGF). His unprecedented feats in the transformation of Rivers State have won him many international and local awards as well as the respect of great world and Nigerian leaders.

Amaechi was the rallying force behind mobilising the governors under PDP to support the presidential aspiration of Dr. Goodluck Jonathan during the PDP Presidential Primaries that produced Jonathan as the PDP flag-bearer and during the 2011 presidential election proper ensured that President Jonathan got over 2 million votes from Rivers State – the highest by any State in Nigeria. A misunderstood but an amiable personality; his forthrightness and boldness to stand by the truth attracts so much enemies to him, particularly those who cannot withstand his manner of approach to result-oriented feats. His numerous ‘sins’ will be highlighted later.

Chibuike Amaechi holds the National honour of the Commander of the Order of the Niger (CON), is a Christian Catholic and a Knight of St John. Amaechi was appointed the Director-General of the All Progressives Congress (APC) Presidential Campaign and led the party to win the March 28th Presidential election of Nigeria in which a sitting President was roundly defeated for the first time.
Unravelling the Mystery and Political Struggles of a Misunderstood Politician

Now that I have stated the political life of Rt. Hon. Chibuike Roimi Amaechi, let me now come to the main treatise of this study, which is to unravel the mystery and political struggles of this misunderstood politician in Nigeria and how it will affect the outcome of the 2015 macabre elections in Rivers State.

An outsider to the politics of Rivers State may conclude that the odds are against Governor Amaechi and APC as a political party to succeed in Rivers State. However, after closely watching and studying Rt. Hon. Amaechi, I have come to the conclusion that this man does not achieve his political feats on a platter of gold but through the hard way and most of the time through the law courts. It was the disillusionment I noticed in some Nigerians regarding what happened in Rivers State that informed this attempt to expose or rather unravel the hard road that Gov Amaechi must to go through in his political journey and I wish to declare that the 2015 macabre elections imbroglio cannot be an exemption.

AMAECHI’S POLITICAL STRUGGLES THROUGH THE COURTS

1. 1999 State House of Assembly Election

Signs of the mission of Governor Amaechi in the politics of Nigeria started when FEDECO, the then electoral umpire, announced Barr. Uche Okwukwu of the defunct APP winner of the State House of Assembly election of the Ikwerre Constituency in place of Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi of PDP. Amaechi contested this at the then Election Tribunal and the Court of Appeal and won and was subsequently sworn-in as the member of State House of Assembly representing Ikwerre Constituency. This began his political struggles through the courts. Reacting to this, Barr. Uche Okwukwu stated: “Yes, I contested against the present Governor, Rt. Hon. Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi. Like I said, the Court of Appeal said I didn’t win and I should not be in the Rivers State House of Assembly. So, as a lawyer, by my training, I have since accepted the verdict of the court, particularly, when you do not have the right to appeal beyond that point.”

2. Fight over the Control of the Local Government Affairs Between the National Assembly and State House of Assembly

In 2003, Governor Amaechi came up with another feat through the courts. When the National Assembly moved to hijack the legislative functions of the State House of Assembly as enshrined in the constitution, he led his colleagues to take the matter to Nigeria’s Supreme Court and the court gave a judgment that the control and supervision of local government is the prerogative of the State House of Assembly.

3. PDP Leadership and its Undemocratic Suspension of Gov. Amaechi from the Party

When the PDP national leadership undemocratically decided to suspend Governor Amaechi from the party without any sound reason on 27th May, 2013 and was to follow it up with expulsion, he resorted to the courts once again to stop them from taking any further step on his case until he decided to join APC. The suspension of Amaechi from the party was agreed during an unscheduled and unusually early morning meeting of the National Working Committee (NWC) of the party at the residence of the then National Chairman, Alhaji Bamanga Tukur. The meeting commenced at 8:00 a.m. and came two days ahead of the regular meeting of the NWC, which normally holds on Wednesdays. It was also three days after Amaechi beat the odds with his re-election as chairman of the Nigeria Governors’ Forum (NGF). He had been allegedly opposed by the PDP Governors’ Forum (PDP-GF) ahead of the election.

Read the complete report on http://www.nigeriansreport.com/2015/04/the-2015-macabre-elections-in-rivers.html

Re: The 2015 Macabre Elections In Rivers State: Amaechi’s Magic Wand To The Rescue by Ossaifamous(m): 5:22pm On Apr 23, 2015
from this analysis, I can see truly it might be far from over
Re: The 2015 Macabre Elections In Rivers State: Amaechi’s Magic Wand To The Rescue by hadura29(m): 5:23pm On Apr 23, 2015
I have been in rivers and I have seen how their politics is being done. Truth be told Amaechi is a warrior... Win or lose, he is still my man..

Abeg wey my palm wine...

I dey come make I buy another one grin

3 Likes

Re: The 2015 Macabre Elections In Rivers State: Amaechi’s Magic Wand To The Rescue by Bayswater: 5:48pm On Apr 23, 2015
Ameachi as things stand today in the Niger Delta is a persona non grata. No amount of write-ups or propaganda can change that. If I were him, I'd move out of rivers state completely after May 29. One can just sense the danger around him, he has stepped on many toes.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 2015 Macabre Elections In Rivers State: Amaechi’s Magic Wand To The Rescue by 1wolex85: 5:56pm On Apr 23, 2015
Bayswater:
Ameachi as things stand today in the Niger Delta is a persona non grata. No amount of write-ups or propaganda can change that. If I were him, I'd move out of rivers state completely after May 29. One can just sense the danger around him, he has stepped on many toes.
were you not the same person yapping about how ajimobi could never win the oyo state elections? pseudo analysts like you just piss me off, all your predictions in the south west came to nothing now you want to talk about south south which you obviously know nothing about? I just dont get why people cant ignore when they know nothing about a topic and have been far more often than not wrong in their predictions, must you post? Abeg go and sleep jor..........

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 2015 Macabre Elections In Rivers State: Amaechi’s Magic Wand To The Rescue by Bayswater: 8:42pm On Apr 23, 2015
1wolex85:

were you not the same person yapping about how ajimobi could never win the oyo state elections? pseudo analysts like you just piss me off, all your predictions in the south west came to nothing now you want to talk about south south which you obviously know nothing about? I just dont get why people cant ignore when they know nothing about a topic and have been far more often than not wrong in their predictions, must you post? Abeg go and sleep jor..........

Ajimobi never won that election, let's just allow sleeping dogs lie. Ok?

Coming to Amaechi, do you think PDP would have been able to rig as your likes would claim if Amaechi was that popular?
Re: The 2015 Macabre Elections In Rivers State: Amaechi’s Magic Wand To The Rescue by jaso1(m): 9:05pm On Apr 23, 2015
Bayswater:

Coming to Amaechi, do you think PDP would have been able to rig as your likes would claim if Amaechi was that popular?

You're a PDP product, pump up on emptiness!
You're among those who always bark that GEJ till life end, where is he now?
You relied on PDP nonsense and build your strength which you've started regretting. I know you're among poverty ridden nigerians that PDP government has rendered useless.
Goodluck for you and that will remained your problem if not check with carefulness.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 2015 Macabre Elections In Rivers State: Amaechi’s Magic Wand To The Rescue by Bayswater: 9:25pm On Apr 23, 2015
jaso1:

You're a PDP product, pump up on emptiness!
You're among those who always bark that GEJ till life end, where is he now?
You relied on PDP nonsense and build your strength which you've started regretting. I know you're among poverty ridden nigerians that PDP government has rendered useless.
Goodluck for you and that will remained your problem if not check with carefulness.

I was not born with a silver spoon but I've not known poverty for a single day, so stop talking like every soul on here is like you church rat.

The election was a contest where the best rigger won.

Unfortunately for you sad lot, GEJ has moved on to higher grounds. He's moved on to become an international peace icon, you hatred for him won't let you see that.
Re: The 2015 Macabre Elections In Rivers State: Amaechi’s Magic Wand To The Rescue by hardywaltz(m): 9:51pm On Apr 23, 2015
Op I very much doubt u know Amaechi
Re: The 2015 Macabre Elections In Rivers State: Amaechi’s Magic Wand To The Rescue by 1wolex85: 10:13pm On Apr 23, 2015
Bayswater:

Baba shut up! you know nothing about rivers neither do I, so quit talking like you are an authority on rivers politics because you are clearly not! Just to use your logic against you; do you think ajimobi would have been able to rig the election if he wasn't popular? There, gotcha!

2 Likes

Re: The 2015 Macabre Elections In Rivers State: Amaechi’s Magic Wand To The Rescue by KpStone(m): 10:54pm On Apr 23, 2015
Bayswater:

Ur mumu has open teeth.

Amaechi is Barcelona. Wike is Dolphins fc

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The 2015 Macabre Elections In Rivers State: Amaechi’s Magic Wand To The Rescue by Reminez(m): 11:07pm On Apr 23, 2015
Oga 1Wolex85, abeg free bathwater abi nah bayswater...You don finish the clueless mofo nah.

1 Like

Re: The 2015 Macabre Elections In Rivers State: Amaechi’s Magic Wand To The Rescue by tomakint: 11:13pm On Apr 23, 2015
After reading through thread.......

No be only Amaechi's Magic Wand why not Amaechi's Magic stick....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The 2015 Macabre Elections In Rivers State: Amaechi’s Magic Wand To The Rescue by Truckpusher(m): 11:23pm On Apr 23, 2015
Another thread for janjawiids to console themselves .

Even babaonechance is aware that Rivers State is a keg of gun powder,yet his deluded simpletons are coming up with an absolute balderdash .

Abeg,who get Nokia torch? grin

Bayswater just told them the truth and the demons are resorting to insults.

In Rivers State ,if we hear you shout 'A' before you'll complete the PC na your body go tell you.
Re: The 2015 Macabre Elections In Rivers State: Amaechi’s Magic Wand To The Rescue by okotv(m): 11:30pm On Apr 23, 2015
Truckpusher:

Even babaonechance is aware that Rivers State is a keg of gun powder,yet his deluded simpletons are coming up with an absolute balderdash .

In Rivers State ,if we hear you shout 'A' before you'll complete the PC na your body go tell you.
What really was Ameachis sin that you folks just can't let go
Re: The 2015 Macabre Elections In Rivers State: Amaechi’s Magic Wand To The Rescue by Truckpusher(m): 11:37pm On Apr 23, 2015
okotv:
What really was Ameachis sin that you folks just can't let go
And when was it made mandatory that an outgoing Governor must impose his wills on the people? undecided

Boy, you're smarter than this abeg.
Re: The 2015 Macabre Elections In Rivers State: Amaechi’s Magic Wand To The Rescue by okotv(m): 11:40pm On Apr 23, 2015
Truckpusher:
And when was it made mandatory that an outgoing Governor must impose his wills on the people? undecided

Boy, you're smarter than this abeg.

while I don't agree he should impose his will on the people, the vibes from that state is too negative. Seems the rigging was blatant.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The 2015 Macabre Elections In Rivers State: Amaechi’s Magic Wand To The Rescue by Truckpusher(m): 11:46pm On Apr 23, 2015
okotv:
while I don't agree he should impose his will on the people, the vibes from that state is too negative. Seems the rigging was blatant.
More blatant than the one that landed us with babaonechance? undecided If hypocrisy was a disease most of you would have been dead and gone I swear
Re: The 2015 Macabre Elections In Rivers State: Amaechi’s Magic Wand To The Rescue by Nobody: 11:48pm On Apr 23, 2015
We have no qualms with Ameachi playing his game from Aso Rock; he may even choose to reside at the Oval Office. That's his business!

For ground here, na obscurity be hin name; let him enjoy his minute of fame with the North and SW. ..we no get issues with that! !!
Re: The 2015 Macabre Elections In Rivers State: Amaechi’s Magic Wand To The Rescue by okotv(m): 11:48pm On Apr 23, 2015
Truckpusher:
More blatant than the one that landed us with babaonechance? undecided If hypocrisy was a disease most of you would have been dead and gone I swear
I just like APC but I support NCP
Re: The 2015 Macabre Elections In Rivers State: Amaechi’s Magic Wand To The Rescue by santuse: 12:01am On Apr 24, 2015
Truckpusher:

who told you no APC in Rivers state keep deceiving yourself
Re: The 2015 Macabre Elections In Rivers State: Amaechi’s Magic Wand To The Rescue by Nobody: 12:13am On Apr 24, 2015
santuse:

who told you no APC in Rivers state keep deceiving yourself

But it's the truth na.....noisemakers!
Re: The 2015 Macabre Elections In Rivers State: Amaechi’s Magic Wand To The Rescue by Bayswater: 8:51pm On Apr 24, 2015
1wolex85:

Baba shut up! you know nothing about rivers neither do I, so quit talking like you are an authority on rivers politics because you are clearly not! Just to use your logic against you; do you think ajimobi would have been able to rig the election if he wasn't popular? There, gotcha!

I'd rather say you should shut your dirty mouth. I don't need to be an authority in Rivers Politics to know Rivers people will go with Wike and PDP. Common sense should tell you that Amaechi is the incumbent governor, and for him to be out-rigged definitely means he is not actually popular in his state. Hope you understand that, Mr Logic?

Nobody said Ajimobi is not popular in Oyo State, I don't understand where you got that from.
Re: The 2015 Macabre Elections In Rivers State: Amaechi’s Magic Wand To The Rescue by 1wolex85: 11:08pm On Apr 24, 2015
Bayswater:

I'd rather say you should shut your dirty mouth. I don't need to be an authority in Rivers Politics to know Rivers people will go with Wike and PDP. Common sense should tell you that Amaechi is the incumbent governor, and for him to be out-rigged definitely means he is not actually popular in his state. Hope you understand that, Mr Logic?

Nobody said Ajimobi is not popular in Oyo State, I don't understand where you got that from.

you are just tying yourself up in knots,you are not coherent and you are just all over the place! when you are in a good place and put on your thinking cap,you can talk to me.
Re: The 2015 Macabre Elections In Rivers State: Amaechi’s Magic Wand To The Rescue by Orikinla(m): 10:50am On Apr 27, 2015
1wolex85:

you are just tying yourself up in knots,you are not coherent and you are just all over the place! when you are in a good place and put on your thinking cap,you can talk to me.
grin grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Gov Rochas Okorocha & The Spibat Mansion / Nationalism In Africa Vs Europe. / PHOTOS: 4 Boko Haram Terrorists In Front Of Shettima

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.