Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,773 members, 7,817,164 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:29 AM

Joel Osteen: Megachurch Televangelist Pastor Without Christ?! Scandal - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Joel Osteen: Megachurch Televangelist Pastor Without Christ?! Scandal (28156 Views)

Beauty Without Christ Is Ugliness - TB Joshua... / Creflo Dollar Vs Joel Osteen Vs Td Jakes Vs Joyce Meyer / T.d.jakes Vs Joel Osteen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Joel Osteen: Megachurch Televangelist Pastor Without Christ?! Scandal by huxley(m): 11:53am On Feb 02, 2009
In his sermons, Joel Osteen does not talk about God. Joel Osteen instead talks about almost everything except God. He has a television ministry, a massive church, $43 million a year in tithes and another $36 million a year in mailed in donations, but he won’t talk about God. He, like Pastor Kevin Gerald, talks about more pleasant topics, such as donating money to him and positive thinking. He has written two books, the second of which sold 3 million copies, but his books don’t really talk about God either. It’s just his bland and boring advice on how to live a happy life that has been thought of by other people first, “Think positively about yourself” and other such drivel. More here
Re: Joel Osteen: Megachurch Televangelist Pastor Without Christ?! Scandal by bindex(m): 12:06pm On Feb 02, 2009
huxley:

In his sermons, Joel Osteen does not talk about God. Joel Osteen instead talks about almost everything except God. He has a television ministry, a massive church, $43 million a year in tithes and another $36 million a year in mailed in donations, but he won’t talk about God. He, like Pastor Kevin Gerald, talks about more pleasant topics, such as donating money to him and positive thinking. He has written two books, the second of which sold 3 million copies, but his books don’t really talk about God either. It’s just his bland and boring advice on how to live a happy life that has been thought of by other people first, “Think positively about yourself” and other such drivel. More here

He doesn't need to talk about any God because he is God himself.
Re: Joel Osteen: Megachurch Televangelist Pastor Without Christ?! Scandal by Nobody: 4:44pm On Feb 02, 2009
sad to say i am with atheists on this one. Folks like Osteen are the reason you wake up on sunday and think u're better off reading your bible in ur small corner rather than going off to another 2hrs of psychotherapy now called "church".

1 Like

Re: Joel Osteen: Megachurch Televangelist Pastor Without Christ?! Scandal by Recognise: 5:00pm On Feb 02, 2009
deleted
Re: Joel Osteen: Megachurch Televangelist Pastor Without Christ?! Scandal by Ilelobola: 3:25pm On Feb 03, 2009
I enjoy listening to him but not as a Pastor but a Motivator as his speeches/sermons are definitely motivational.

I bought one of his books, "How to become a better u" or some similar title and I have not read it beyond a few pages of the 1st chapter as he isn't telling me anything new. I agree, he doesn't reference the bible but he's good- I think so anyway.

1 Like

Re: Joel Osteen: Megachurch Televangelist Pastor Without Christ?! Scandal by OBVIOUS(m): 1:41am On Feb 04, 2009
davidylan:

sad to say i am with atheists on this one. Folks like Osteen are the reason you wake up on sunday and think u're better off reading your bible in ur small corner rather than going off to another 2hrs of psychotherapy now called "church".

W O R D!!!
Re: Joel Osteen: Megachurch Televangelist Pastor Without Christ?! Scandal by Monicaa: 6:02am On Feb 04, 2009
He does talk about God but I agree not much emphasis but mostly on life in general.
Re: Joel Osteen: Megachurch Televangelist Pastor Without Christ?! Scandal by AKO1(m): 7:50am On Feb 04, 2009
He doesn't want to sound too 'spiritual' so that he won't turn off a lot of people.
Re: Joel Osteen: Megachurch Televangelist Pastor Without Christ?! Scandal by KunleOshob(m): 2:50pm On Feb 04, 2009
The man is just a crooked business man cum motivatinal speaker using the church as a platform to make some extra cash. As David rightly pointed out it is preachers like him that have brought christianity to disrepute and given non -believers ammunition to attack the faith. Preachers like him abound in a lot of the new generation churches we have in Nigeria.
Re: Joel Osteen: Megachurch Televangelist Pastor Without Christ?! Scandal by MrCrackles(m): 2:53pm On Feb 04, 2009
davidylan:

Gbam!!
grin
Re: Joel Osteen: Megachurch Televangelist Pastor Without Christ?! Scandal by oloriooko(m): 3:22pm On Feb 04, 2009
What is your gragra all about, bros?
If you talk about God, they will say you are a fanatic.
If you do not talk about God, they will say you are fake.
What do you really want?
I beg let's hear word ojare!
Re: Joel Osteen: Megachurch Televangelist Pastor Without Christ?! Scandal by toshmann(m): 5:30pm On Feb 04, 2009
na wa o. i hope what u guys say about this guy is not true
Re: Joel Osteen: Megachurch Televangelist Pastor Without Christ?! Scandal by Lady2(f): 8:00pm On Feb 04, 2009
ROTFLMBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

People are funny sha!!!
Re: Joel Osteen: Megachurch Televangelist Pastor Without Christ?! Scandal by dalaman: 10:09pm On Feb 04, 2009
KunleOshob:

The man is just a crooked business man cum motivatinal speaker using the church as a platform to make some extra cash. As David rightly pointed out it is preachers like him that have brought christianity to disrepute and given non -believers ammunition to attack the faith. Preachers like him abound in a lot of the new generation churches we have in Nigeria.

This is really true.
Re: Joel Osteen: Megachurch Televangelist Pastor Without Christ?! Scandal by Sissy3(f): 7:10am On Feb 05, 2009
i use to listen to him, but after his interview on Larry king, that he couldnt wholeheartedly say that those who doesnt believe in Jesus will riot in hell, in others words that "Jesus is the way, the truth, and life" i was highly surprised. like seriously someone who calls himself a pastor rumbling on such question, tells you something about him.

To me now he is more like a businessman disguised in a suit with a bible standing on podium.

only listen to him, when you are depressed, he will surely lift up your spirit with his words on how God wants you to be successful cheesy
Re: Joel Osteen: Megachurch Televangelist Pastor Without Christ?! Scandal by paulipopo(m): 9:34am On Feb 05, 2009
oloriooko:

What is your gragra all about, bros?
If you talk about God, they will say you are a fanatic.
If you do not talk about God, they will say you are fake.
What do you really want?
I beg let's hear word ojare!

And what is your point mr man?
Re: Joel Osteen: Megachurch Televangelist Pastor Without Christ?! Scandal by Tonyet1(m): 10:35am On Feb 05, 2009
oh God critics have finally seen another reason to speak vile of God's chosen again

well if they did same to Jesus why wont they his disciples
Re: Joel Osteen: Megachurch Televangelist Pastor Without Christ?! Scandal by netotse(m): 10:51am On Feb 05, 2009
men there are too many people like that nowadays o. . . i'm sure its called trying to be politically correct or somefink funny
Re: Joel Osteen: Megachurch Televangelist Pastor Without Christ?! Scandal by Nobody: 7:32pm On Feb 05, 2009
tonye-t:

oh God critics have finally seen another reason to speak vile of God's chosen again

I am 100% confident Osteen is his biological father's "chosen" and not God's. When i put him side by side with men like Paul, arrested on the way to damascus, flogged for preaching the gospel, shipwrecked for speaking the truth of Christ . . . when i compare him with Stephen who withstood death by stoning to continue preaching the message of the cross till his dying breath, when i compare him to James who would rather die by beheading rather than stop preaching Jesus . . . i cant imagine that Joel Osteen, who denies the Lord on CNN is among God's chosen.

tonye-t:

well if they did same to Jesus why wont they his disciples

Joel Osteen bears NOT ONE SINGLE fruit shown by the disciples of Christ. Christ preached to the point He was sold to death for 30 pieces of silver . . . Osteen goes on CNN to deny Christ as the WAY, THE TRUTH and THE LIFE!

1 Like

Re: Joel Osteen: Megachurch Televangelist Pastor Without Christ?! Scandal by Lady2(f): 12:22am On Feb 06, 2009
i use to listen to him, but after his interview on Larry king, that he couldnt wholeheartedly say that those who doesnt believe in Jesus will riot in hell

Can you wholeheartedly decide who will go to heaven and who won't? Because when Larry asked him that question that is what Larry was initially saying.
So are you or Joel the determiners of who will go to hell or heaven?
Re: Joel Osteen: Megachurch Televangelist Pastor Without Christ?! Scandal by Nobody: 1:18am On Feb 06, 2009
~Lady~:

Can you wholeheartedly decide who will go to heaven and who won't? Because when Larry asked him that question that is what Larry was initially saying.

The bible is very plain - He that believeth not is CONDEMNED ALREADY.

Go and argue with that verse and leave me in peace.
Re: Joel Osteen: Megachurch Televangelist Pastor Without Christ?! Scandal by Lady2(f): 1:45am On Feb 06, 2009
davidylan:

So those who never heard of Jesus but do good all their life, and believe that there is a God, but did not know that this God is Jesus, would be condemned? I didn't know God was so heartless.
What about the children? Should they be condemned too?

I don't know about you, but I don't serve a God that is heartless like that. I also know that I serve a God that is merciful and provides us with his grace, and grace is a gift, and not earned so stop thinking that because you believe in Jesus you have earned your grace.

Self-righteous christians annoy the hell out of me.

1 Like

Re: Joel Osteen: Megachurch Televangelist Pastor Without Christ?! Scandal by Nobody: 1:53am On Feb 06, 2009
~Lady~:

So those who never heard of Jesus but do good all their life, and believe that there is a God, but did not know that this God is Jesus, would be condemned? I didn't know God was so heartless.
What about the children? Should they be condemned too?

I don't know about you, but I don't serve a God that is heartless like that. I also know that I serve a God that is merciful and provides us with his grace, and grace is a gift, and not earned so stop thinking that because you believe in Jesus you have earned your grace.

Self-righteous christians annoy the hell out of me.

Again i merely point you to the bible and you come back with personal attacks. I didnt insert the words into the bible . . . you can expunge it from your copy if self-righteous Gods also annoy the hell out of you.

This is not about self righteousness (it is simply the easy way out for those who wish the bible could simply lower the bar for them) . . . read the first 4 books of St. John . . . if it annoys u chuck ur bible out of the window . . . i had no hand in publishing those words so pls steer clear of personal attacks.
Re: Joel Osteen: Megachurch Televangelist Pastor Without Christ?! Scandal by Nobody: 1:55am On Feb 06, 2009
John 3: 18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. 19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. 20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. 21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

If it annoys u pls take your case to Christ . . . i am merely quoting his words. Rationalise it to suit you if you wish but dont insult me . . . i'm not Jesus Christ's speech writer.
Re: Joel Osteen: Megachurch Televangelist Pastor Without Christ?! Scandal by Lady2(f): 1:57am On Feb 06, 2009
If it annoys u pls take your case to Christ . . . i am merely quoting his words. Rationalise it to suit you if you wish but dont insult me . . . i'm not Jesus Christ's speech writer.

Do not use the word of Christ to suit yourself please. Does that include those who have not heard the message of Christ?
Re: Joel Osteen: Megachurch Televangelist Pastor Without Christ?! Scandal by Nobody: 2:04am On Feb 06, 2009
~Lady~:

Do not use the word of Christ to suit yourself please. Does that include those who have not heard the message of Christ?

the bible is VERY CLEAR . . . he that believeth not

you cant believe in something you have not heard. Pure common sense. which is why the Lord said He would delay His coming until the gospel had reached the uttermost parts of the earth.
Re: Joel Osteen: Megachurch Televangelist Pastor Without Christ?! Scandal by Lady2(f): 2:06am On Feb 06, 2009
the bible is VERY CLEAR . . . he that believeth not

you cant believe in something you have not heard. Pure common sense. which is why the Lord said He would delay His coming until the gospel had reached the uttermost parts of the earth.

Ok now what about muslim children or non-christian children. should they be condemned too?
Re: Joel Osteen: Megachurch Televangelist Pastor Without Christ?! Scandal by Nobody: 2:15am On Feb 06, 2009
~Lady~:

Ok now what about muslim children or non-christian children. should they be condemned too?

take it up with Christ . . . my own is to remind the people of what the bible has to say. As long as you have heard the gospel at one point in your life . . . the decision is totally up to you. If you feel Christ cant be that "wicked" to mean what he said in John 3:18 then by all means throw away ur bible and wait for eternity . . .
Re: Joel Osteen: Megachurch Televangelist Pastor Without Christ?! Scandal by Lady2(f): 2:22am On Feb 06, 2009
take it up with Christ . . . my own is to remind the people of what the bible has to say. As long as you have heard the gospel at one point in your life . . . the decision is totally up to you. If you feel Christ cant be that "wicked" to mean what he said in John 3:18 then by all means throw away ur bible and wait for eternity . . .

Ahn ahn but you are a messenger of Christ abi, why can't you tell us what will happen to muslim children that die as muslims? shouldn't they be condemned too.

God can grant grace to whomever he wishes to, it is not up to you to do so, so don't act like you know who will and won't make it heaven, and then patting yourself on the back.

You believe in Christ and yet you do that which he doesn't like, will you make it to heaven?
Re: Joel Osteen: Megachurch Televangelist Pastor Without Christ?! Scandal by Nobody: 2:33am On Feb 06, 2009
~Lady~:

Ahn ahn but you are a messenger of Christ abi, why can't you tell us what will happen to muslim children that die as muslims? shouldn't they be condemned too.

If they heard the gospel before they died as muslims then NO they are going nowhere according to John 3:18.

~Lady~:

God can grant grace to whomever he wishes to, it is not up to you to do so, so don't act like you know who will and won't make it heaven, and then patting yourself on the back.

Again i repeat - i have done nothing but quoted the scriptures for you. Rather than personal attacks you are free to argue with Christ during ur prayer session.

~Lady~:

You believe in Christ and yet you do that which he doesn't like, will you make it to heaven?

If you didnt repent then sorry, no. the bible is clear. He that confesseth and forsaketh shall find mercy . . . again no be me write am. You cant do as you pls then bank on "grace" . . . grace does not abound to just anyone if not Christ would have no need for the cross.
Re: Joel Osteen: Megachurch Televangelist Pastor Without Christ?! Scandal by Sissy3(f): 5:25am On Feb 06, 2009
davidylan:

thank you Jare .
Re: Joel Osteen: Megachurch Televangelist Pastor Without Christ?! Scandal by Sissy3(f): 5:48am On Feb 06, 2009
~Lady~:

it serves me no need starting an argument or long explanation with you. all i have to say is that it is very surprising that someone who calls himself a pastor of Christ, cannot wholeheartedly state that Jesus is the only way to heaven, which is clearly stated throughout the bible. nobody determines who go to heaven, but at least tell it as it is written in the bible. Larry gave him a chance to clarify his message but he went on rumbling around the question, which i found very unusual of  any pastor and a christian pastor for that. and even when a listener called in to the show to ask him to clarify his statement he couldn't. it was after the interview that his church members and other followers was furious with his answers that he offered them this statement (below). again like i said, people should only listen to him only when they are depressed and want someone to give them earthly motivation.

here is his apology after the show

"Dear Friend,

Many of you have called, written or e-mailed regarding my recent appearance on Larry King Live.  I appreciate your comments and value your words of correction and encouragement.

It was never my desire or intention to leave any doubt as to what I believe and Whom I serve.  I believe with all my heart that it is only through Christ that we have hope in eternal life.  I regret and sincerely apologize that I was unclear on the very thing in which I have dedicated my life.

Jesus declared in John 14; I am the way, the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father but by me.   I believe that Jesus Christ alone is the only way to salvation.  However, it wasn’t until I had the opportunity to review the transcript of the interview that I realize I had not clearly stated that having a personal relationship with Jesus is the only way to heaven. It’s about the individual’s choice to follow Him.

God has given me a platform to present the Gospel to a very diverse audience.  In my desire not to alienate the people that Jesus came to save, I did not clearly communicate the convictions that I hold so precious.

I will use this as a learning experience and believe that God will ultimately use it for my good and His glory. I am comforted by the fact that He sees my heart and knows my intentions.  I am so thankful that I have friends, like you, who are willing to share their concerns with me.

Thank you again to those who have written. I hope that you accept my deepest apology and see it in your heart to extend to me grace and forgiveness.

As always, I covet your prayers and I am believing for God’s best in your life".

then again i wonder why it would take his members to write in to him, for him to admit that Jesus is the only to heaven.

the bible said it all, Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

Matthew 7:15

(1) (2) (Reply)

Beware Of The Leaven Of Daddy Freeze / Funeral Home Denies Involvement In Alleged Ressurection Of Man By A Pastor / Leke Adeboye & Wife, Rachel Celebrate 10th Wedding Anniversary (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.