Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,955 members, 7,817,803 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:59 PM

Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? (15996 Views)

Civil Servants And Their Attitude To Work!!!! / Get Professionally Certified In Any Course Of Your Choice In Dubai. / Fidelity Bank, Best Bank To Work For In Nigeria – Survey (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by oyin01(m): 2:52pm On Jul 29, 2015
Yes na. Come to Jos. That's one the good things about this town.. . Guys ride bicycles like anything to anywhere. ... I think Jos is the Yankee on Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by Patented: 2:54pm On Jul 29, 2015
@ Naijacutee i cycle weekends for leisure/excercise. though cycling can be dangerous on lagos roads. I generally do it early morning (am out by 6) and try to stick with roads that are not to busy
Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by feran15(m): 3:26pm On Jul 29, 2015
naijacutee:
Hi guys,

Sometimes I enjoy cycling to work to get some exercise and to avoid traffic. I live in the UK, and although this isn't very safe here (it's safer in the Scandinavia), I cycle on walking pavements since I would love to return home to my family in one piece. I'd like to know if there are any keen cyclists who out of choice cycle to work, or cycle for leisure in Nigeria. I'd really like to continue cycling when I inevitably move back to Nigeria especially as it is my only serious form of exercise, so it would be great to know what the current climate is like.

depends on where you move to, and how far your house is from work.
Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by Onegai(f): 3:31pm On Jul 29, 2015
naijacutee:
Hi guys,

Sometimes I enjoy cycling to work to get some exercise and to avoid traffic. I live in the UK, and although this isn't very safe here (it's safer in the Scandinavia), I cycle on walking pavements since I would love to return home to my family in one piece. I'd like to know if there are any keen cyclists who out of choice cycle to work, or cycle for leisure in Nigeria. I'd really like to continue cycling when I inevitably move back to Nigeria especially as it is my only serious form of exercise, so it would be great to know what the current climate is like.

Two of my brothers actually cycle for leisure and exercise. And there is a Cycle club on the island (they meet every Saturday morning and do a session down Lekki expressway).
Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by DarryOsh(m): 3:51pm On Jul 29, 2015
naijacutee:
Hi guys,

I know a lady who rides a bicycle to work in Ikeja, Lagos Nigeria. She is a middle-level manager in one of Nigeria's prestigious companies. She spent a good part of her life in the west, though. Also, her home is not too far from work. I think its kind of cool to see your boss ride a bicycle to work cool

3 Likes

Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:44pm On Jul 29, 2015
i know a guy who does that.
Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by codephela(m): 5:05pm On Jul 29, 2015
Ask Google!...*continues chewing popcorn*
Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by Gboliwe: 5:07pm On Jul 29, 2015
nerodenero:
I grew up in the South and it is almost abnormal to see adults cycling to work for whatever reasons. Besides, how can you do that when you live on the mainland and your work place is on the Island? Anyway, no matter the distance, it is just not a norm in this part of the world. We feel too big for no reason.

The same can't be said of the North precisely Zaria in Kaduna State. Some years back, I was stunned to see the number of adults cycling to work. I spent some years there but with time, the number of people cycling around reduced drastically.

The exact impression I got when I got to the south east from the north. In northern Nigeria, it's like an unwritten law for every home to have a bicycle. Adults ride to work, secondary school students ride to school. There's always a bicycle parking space.
Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by sunsewa: 5:21pm On Jul 29, 2015
yah,u can bike ur bicycle to work in Nigeria, is gaining back grounds this days,especially Lagos,Abuja,mostly where the roads are smooth, even portharcourt also is gradually joining the game,but risk involved are the reckless car drivers,especially siren blaring morons, but u can handle the risk by riding ur bike opposite facing coming vehicles in some roads.
Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by otiigba1(m): 5:33pm On Jul 29, 2015
naijacutee:
Hi guys,

ride bike in nigeria? Hian! Them weed smoking ogogoro drinking bus drivers and okada riders will run you over before you say jack!, do you think naija is like the UK? Were you will see people on Boris Bike grin grin
Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by uracocksucker: 5:33pm On Jul 29, 2015
naijacutee:
Hi guys,

you cycle on the pavements?? there is a cycling track in inner-city London and in gretaer london you have the road to cycle on, so the hell you cycling on pavements for?
Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:37pm On Jul 29, 2015
As fuel wahala started, I sold my range rover, invested some of the cash and bought a bicycle. Life has been much easier now as I ride from Kubwa to Asokoro for work on week days and ride to Gwarinpa on sundays. I'm as healthy as swollen tit.

2 Likes

Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by OCTAVO: 8:07pm On Jul 29, 2015
shadowgwalker:
As fuel wahala started, I sold my range rover, invested some of the cash and bought a bicycle. Life has been much easier now as I ride from Kubwa to Asokoro for work on week days and ride to Gwarinpa on sundays. I'm as healthy as swollen tit.
The last part of your post is funny though. grin
The thing nor make me believe say you sell range come buy bicycle.
Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by dennisbee(m): 10:06pm On Jul 29, 2015
I think one of the major reasons why it won't work is because, after the close of work you may not find your bicycle where you parked it. The real owners would disengage the lock and take their property. But atleast, you can always lock ur car at the parking lot and go into the office. You will always come back to meet it there. That is why we prefer using cars. Naija isn't safe!
Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:43pm On Jul 29, 2015
OCTAVO:

The last part of your post is funny though. grin
The thing nor make me believe say you sell range come buy bicycle.
for real, I did oh...but for other reasons and not cos of what I stated. I didn't mention I stil have a smaller car too.
Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:42am On Jul 30, 2015
naijacutee:
Hi guys,

Cycling on a pavement meant for pedestrian would get you arrested by the police nah
Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 6:36am On Jul 30, 2015
naijacutee:
Hi guys,

Cycle in Nigeria? O girl, no try am. Just respect yourself and go by car. Drivers in Nigeria are not smiling. Besides, we don't have sidewalks like you do in the UK. I love cities that are bicycle friendly.

1 Like

Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by flyforall: 6:37am On Jul 30, 2015
My fear for you is the crazy drivers who might want to do bumper to bumper with you or even push you off the road into gutter.
N.B: you will need a mountain bike cos of the roads
Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by Freshfish: 6:39am On Jul 30, 2015
Cycling is gaining ground very fast in lagos. I ride regularly on the streets of Lagos and commute from work also. Its not as risky as the guys who sit on the couch and judge make you believe. Hey death can come anytime and anywhere . You can stay in your house because accidents happen out there!

The keys to riding in Lagos are

1. Recon your route
2. Be well kitted and make yourself visible
3. Avoid riding alone

If you relocate to Lagos contact these three groups they will help you and also help link you up with riding contacts in any part of Nigeria.

http://cyclotron.org.ng/ccdi/

http://cycology.com.ng/

https://www.facebook.com/RoadRunnersCyclingAndRecreationalClub

Wish you all the best ....if you need further help on cycling in Naija ...PM me or freshfishstall@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by iwuchukwutony(m): 10:33am On Jul 30, 2015
why the question...
Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by ERONX(m): 11:21am On Jul 30, 2015
;Dif u try am 4 Naija na Igbogbi u go wake up
Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by DonX001: 11:42am On Jul 30, 2015
You can only try it in Lagos if you live and work in the same area WITHIN an estate in Lekki or somwhere really cool.

Any attempt to try it in any other place is a recipe for mortuary, Intensive Care Unit, or Igbobi Orthopaedic Hospital.

Danfo drivers, trailers and okada riders will clear your doubts.
Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by Sessyjee(m): 5:26pm On Jul 30, 2015
redcliff:

Me too. I like the idea of cycling especially when i left Nigeria. I am hoping that i can cycle again if i get back there again and i fing dont care what people would think about me but one should understand that its almost very unsafe because there are alot of mad people on the road. If a trailer or bus can hit or fall on a car and kill the people in it, is someone safer with a bike? And the weather isnt so good for this also. You dressed up for work and ride under the really hot weather accompanied with dust and mud and you think you would have a swell day at work? Some comapnied abroad provide a bathroom for employees so in some cases its easier to just get to work, take your bath and continue your work but where can you see that in naija? The only way you would enjoy a bike ride is for sports alone.. and yea e-bikes are the newest things in bicycle history now!
Lol.. I once did a 40km journey here in Lagos(sport bike)... Pls kindly share more info about e-bikes are dey avaiable sir..
Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by redcliff: 6:09pm On Jul 30, 2015
Sessyjee:

Lol.. I once did a 40km journey here in Lagos(sport bike)... Pls kindly share more info about e-bikes are dey avaiable sir..

well, I dont see any nigerian spending $1500 dollars going to buy a bicycle because it enables you move faster depending on its capacity. I have seen e-bikes with speed of 70k per hour that's the top though. and at 1500, it should be one of the cheapest around. Its just a bicycle with rechargeable batteries that gives you the ease of soft pedaling and in the process moving faster. I don;t know what technology is behind that.
Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by igbakigba2t15: 9:30pm On Aug 03, 2015
Sometime last year, I visited a Police station in Lagos on a different mission but was stunned to see the many bicycles parked in the station. I confronted the DPO on this and he told me that they were confiscated from children who rode dangerously in the streets. So, I mellowed down. But now that riding bikes is gaining popularity in Nigeria especially Lagos, the State Govts thru FRSC/LASTMA can create a combined Bicycle/Pedestrian Lanes for bikers while enacting the appropriate laws. This move will lessen the pressure on fuel consumption in this country while providing a greener environment, amongst other benefits.

1 Like

Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:13pm On Aug 07, 2015
Baycrystal Email Marketing Deployment

Email marketing is a marketing channel used to send messages to an individual or group of people by email to enhance promotion of goods/services

We help you get your goods/services out to your targeted customers via email

A well designed and formatted message that says it all about your goods/services.

**Set up of Email marketing Platform
**Email Database List (i.e base on sex,companies,schools etc.....)
**Social media integration in your dispatched emails
**Managing of your Email platform(optional)

Email Database List
we provide the following emails based on
Businesses
Professionals
Nigerian Emails
Senior staff
Working class
etc...
For further enquiries visit www.eadesms.com call/whatsapp-08186219002 bbm:532fc7c5

Take a step today and attract the right audience to boost your business growth!!!
Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:14pm On Aug 07, 2015
Baycrystal Email Marketing Deployment

Email marketing is a marketing channel used to send messages to an individual or group of people by email to enhance promotion of goods/services

We help you get your goods/services out to your targeted customers via email

A well designed and formatted message that says it all about your goods/services.

**Set up of Email marketing Platform
**Email Database List (i.e base on sex,companies,schools etc.....)
**Social media integration in your dispatched emails .
**Managing of your Email platform(optional)

Email Database List
we provide the following emails based on
Businesses
Professionals
Nigerian Emails
Senior staff
Working class
etc...
For further enquiries visit www.eadesms.com call/whatsapp-08186219002 bbm:532fc7c5

Take a step today and attract the right audience to boost your business growth!!!
Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by homesodear: 4:50pm On Aug 09, 2015
Did you all know that generating a minimum of 4k every blessed day is easy and legitimate in our country Nigeria? Want to know how? Add me on whstsapp 08034917464
Re: Does Anyone Ride A Bicycle To Work Out Of Choice In Nigeria? by naijacutee(f): 1:33am On Sep 11, 2015
For all those deeply concerns about my run-ins with the police over cycling on the pavements in "London",

1. I never mentioned London in my post. If you consult a map, you'll see that the UK is not equal to London.
2. That being said, if there are no cycling paths in the city, it is not against the law for cyclists to use walking pavements if the city councils have not provided appropriate paths. Statistics like these: http://www.rospa.com/road-safety/advice/pedal-cyclists/facts-figures/ show that 17,480 were killed or injured on their bikes in the UK in 2014. I am not planning to join them.

Thank you for your concern.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Much Is Entry Level Pay At Oando / Why The Education You Received Might Fail You / FG February Salary 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.