Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,521 members, 7,826,961 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:00 AM

Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome (15999 Views)

Nigeria To Reduce Sulphur Content In Petrol, Diesel And Kerosene Effective July / Mercedes Diesel Engine Vs Petroleum Engine / Why Not Use Diesel Engine (passenger Cars) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by Nobody: 8:33pm On May 02, 2015
lomomike:

You backed off from the W12 rear SWB bench type you wanted to buy. Instead you got a V8 4.2 Tdi

Not really, Mike. This is a stop-gap car. I am still looking out for a 2007 Audi A8 6.0 W12. It just has to be the righ spec. smiley

1 Like

Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by kayoday(m): 6:50am On May 03, 2015
Which Station in Nigeria sells the best diesel for suited for diesel engine?.
I drive a 1999 C200 CDI and the problem I encounter most is bad injector nozzle or the nozzle rail switch, was told it being caused by bad diesel.
Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by Nobody: 5:30pm On May 03, 2015
My diesel-engined Audi specification:

Make: Audi.
Model: A4 2.5 TDI Quattro.
Model year: 2000.
Engine capacity: 2,496cc.
Configuration: V6 2xDOHC 24V.
Fuel delivery: Direct Injection.
Power: 180hp.
Torque: 370Nm.
Kerb Weight: 1,355kgs.
Drive: Permanent AWD, Torque-Sensing Centre Differential.
Transmission: 6-Speed Manual.
Maximum speed: 138mph / 224kph.
0-60mph: 8.1secs.
Fuel Capacity: 62 Litres.
Fuel Consumption: 35.6mpg.

Model: A8 4.2 TDI Quattro.
Model year: 2007.
Engine capacity: 4,134cc.
Configuration: V8 2xDOHC 32V.
Fuel delivery: Common Rail.
Power: 322hp.
Torque: 650Nm.
Kerb Weight: 1,945kgs.
Drive: Permanent AWD, Electronic-Controlled Centre And Rear Differential.
Transmission: 6-Speed Tiptronic.
Maximum speed: 155mph / 251kph.
0-60mph: 5.6secs.
Fuel Capacity: 90 Litres.
Fuel Consumption: 31mpg.
Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by Nobody: 5:46pm On May 03, 2015
Siena:
My diesel-engined Audi specification:

Model: A4 2.5 TDI Quattro.
Model year: 2000.
Engine capacity: 2,496cc.
Configuration: V6 2xDOHC 24V.
Fuel delivery: Direct Injection.
Power: 180hp.
Torque: 370Nm.
Kerb Weight: 1,355kgs.
Drive: Permanent AWD, Torque-Sensing Centre Differential.
Maximum speed: 138mph / 224kph.
0-60mph: 8.1secs.
Fuel Capacity: 62 Litres.
Fuel Consumption: 35.6mpg.

Model: A8 4.2 TDI Quattro.
Model year: 2007.
Engine capacity: 4,134cc.
Configuration: V8 2xDOHC 32V.
Fuel delivery: Common Rail.
Power: 322hp.
Torque: 650Nm.
Kerb Weight: 1,945kgs.
Drive: Permanent AWD, Electronic-Controlled Centre And Rear Differential.
Maximum speed: 155mph / 251kph.
0-60mph: 5.6secs.
Fuel Capacity: 90 Litres.
Fuel Consumption: 31mpg
Your A8 not bad MPG for a Big Heavy V8 in a heavy car having AWD system when compared to some petrol V8 RWD cars.
Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by Absoj(m): 7:32pm On May 03, 2015
kayoday:
Which Station in Nigeria sells the best diesel for suited for diesel engine?.
I drive a 1999 C200 CDI and the problem I encounter most is bad injector nozzle or the nozzle rail switch, was told it being caused by bad diesel.
NNPC Mega statns ain't bad. Our diesel engine(D4d) hilux are doing well with d AGO. But if not accessible, go to OANDO,Total., but buy in jerry cans and sieve/filter.

1 Like

Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by Nobody: 11:38pm On May 03, 2015
The diesel engine has advanced more in the last 15 years, more than their gasoline counterparts have in the last 30.

20 years ago, a diesel engines, whilst being more frugal than gasoline equivalents, and generating massive torque from as low as 1,000rpm, delivered relatively low specific outputs, were inefficient, noisy, and pollutant levels were high. For a diesel engine to match a gasoline 1.6L in terms of power output, the diesel engine's capacity was between 2.3 and 2.5L. I am talking about diesel and gasoline engines in the same make and model of car. So these big capacity diesel engines produced on average 65hp.

Audi pioneered direct-injection turbo diesel motors back in 1988, and suddenly, the diesel option wasn't such a bad idea. This allowed the compression ratio to be lower, around the 19.0:1 ratio (indirect injection versions had CR as high as 25.0:1).

DI engines were more efficient, had a greater rpm limit - as high as 4700rpm. Previously some diesels had rpm limits as low as 3000rpm. An old Perkins diesel engine had rpm limits even lower, 2500rpm.

Today, there are quite a few variations of diesel engines. RPM limits are rising, though still lower than their gasoline engine equivalents. Power has increased, they are more efficient than ever, they run quieter and cleaner, and less importantly, their efficiency has allowed their capacities to be in line with their gasoline equivalents.

Interestingly, a 2.0 diesel engine is often quicker than a 2.0 gasoline engine from the same manufacturer, to the point gasoline equivalents are sometimes about 200cc larger, to widen the ever increasing gap. Role reversal here!

Because diesel engines have lower rev limits than their gasoline equivalents, their transmission and differential are geared much higher than the same in a gasoline set-up. This suits the low-speed torque characteristics of the diesel motor, and allows the vehicle it's installed in to have a reasonably high top speed.

However...the high-torque at low rpm of a diesel engine has its drawbacks - it is damaging to clutch, transmission and differential. A sudden torque spike from an aggressively-driven vehicle can strip the gears in the gearbox, or final drive. On bigger diesel engines, the input shaft has been known to twist, snap or strip the splines.

The low-speed, high torque characteristics of a diesel engine is particularly suited to automatic transmission. An automatic will also handle torque spikes better, and is kinder to the differential too.

2 Likes

Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by Years(m): 12:39am On May 04, 2015
(Interestingly, a 2.0 diesel engine is often quicker than a 2.0 gasoline engine from the same manufacturer,
Because diesel engines have lower rev limits than their gasoline equivalents, their transmission and differential are geared much higher than the same in a gasoline set-up. This suits the low-speed torque characteristics of the diesel motor, and allows the vehicle it's installed in to have a reasonably high top speed.)
This part I like.

1 Like

Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by 9icetoo(m): 12:46pm On May 04, 2015
The torque spikes is what I have learnt to live with. It makes me think the transmission is about to go bust. I just have to ease up on the throttle. Will probably go for a an auto diesel next time.

2 Likes

Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by Natty14(m): 1:33pm On Apr 16, 2016
oga Siena, i need to replace my vw T4 engine. It runs a 1.9tdi engine at the moment. Reason is that compression is low and d engine spills oil from all the orifices(dip stick, valve cover etc). Overheating is also a serious issue with the engine.

Now how can i convert this 1.9tdi to 2.5? the bus is used for commercials. It carries heavy loads to the uphill.
I need an info on what i can do now. still a novice.
Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by Nobody: 2:39pm On Apr 16, 2016
Model: A4 Quattro Sport.
Model Year: 2000.
Engine: 2.5 V6 TDI, 2 x DOHC 24V.
Power: 180hp / 370Nm.
Drive: Permanent AWD.

I have had no issues with this car, I replaced the timing belt, tensioners and water pump when I purchased it in March 2015. The plan is to yank out the V6 TDI, replacing it with a more manly 4.2 V8 32V from a 1998 Audi S8, built with a single turbo. Target power output is 650hp. It will be a stripped out race car, with a welded in Motorsport cage and plumbed-in fire extinguisher to satisfy the classes I intend to race in.

Best mileage around town has been 29 mpg, on a long run to the Scottish Highlands the car achieved a best of 40 mpg.

Model: A8 Quattro Sport.
Model Year: 2007.
Engine: 4.2 V8 TDI, 2 x DOHC 32V.
Power: 326hp / 650Nm.
Drive: Permanent AWD.

The A8 has been an absolute blast to drive. Whether it's driving in dense traffic, or blasting along twisty country lanes, my A8 has been awesome. The Quattro AWD provides tons of grip in the wet, I've never felt the tyres were pointing in any direction they weren't meant to be in, or the big car was losing control. And I drive my cars hard, whatever the weather.

The 6-speed Tiptronic is well suited to the big, torquey diesel engine. With 326hp, it is less powerful than my old Audi S8 Quattro, and my 2005 Audi A8 Quattro Sport 4.2 V8 40V. Both produced 360 and 340hp respectively from their 4.2 V8 40V gasoline engines. But the big 4.2 V8 TDI scores with its torque delivery. A whopping 650Nm at just 1600 rpm! My S8 Quattro and A8 Quattro 4.2 V8 both made 430Nm torque at 3750 and 3500 respectively.

A single trip to Germany through France with the A8 Quattro 4.2 V8 TDI returned 31.6 mpg over a distance of 916 miles. Not bad for such a potent engine, in a big AWD car that tips the scales at just under 2 tonnes.
Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by Nobody: 2:49pm On Apr 16, 2016
Natty14:
oga Siena, i need to replace my vw T4 engine. It runs a 1.9tdi engine at the moment. Reason is that compression is low and d engine spills oil from all the orifices(dip stick, valve cover etc). Overheating is also a serious issue with the engine.

Now how can i convert this 1.9tdi to 2.5? the bus is used for commercials. It carries heavy loads to the uphill.

If oil is coming from the dipstick, that means the contents of the dump are being pressurised. Compression is blowing past the piston rings.

Are you thinking of replacing the 1.9 TDI inline 4 for a 2.5 petrol or diesel (both inline 5 engines)?
Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by AreOnaKakanfo: 2:52pm On Apr 16, 2016
Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by Natty14(m): 6:38pm On Apr 16, 2016
Siena:

If oil is coming from the dipstick, that means the contents of the dump are being pressurised. Compression is blowing past the piston rings.

Are you thinking of replacing the 1.9 TDI inline 4 for a 2.5 petrol or diesel (both inline 5 engines)?

Yes, replacing 1.9tdi with 2.5 diesel. Is 1.9tdi okay for a commercial bus?

There's this term used by the engine dealers such as "half engine" or "half and top" ,. Which i understood to mean Engine minus Gearbox. Can i install a 2.5 diesel "half engine " on my 1.9tdi other half?
Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by Nobody: 7:33pm On Apr 16, 2016
Natty14:
Yes, replacing 1.9tdi with 2.5 diesel. Is 1.9tdi okay for a commercial bus?

There's this term used by the engine dealers such as "half engine" or "half and top" ,. Which i understood to mean Engine minus Gearbox. Can i install a 2.5 diesel "half engine " on my 1.9tdi other half?

A 1.9 TDI is a decent engine, being diesel, it has great pulling power, despite the small capacity. It's all about the torque it develops.

The 2.5 TDI 5 cylinder can be installed, but it involves a lot more than the obvious engine. Gearbox, driveshafts, wiring, ECU, exhaust, cooling system and a whole bunch of stuff will need to be replaced too, with no guarantees your mechanic will do a decent job. My advise would be to stick with the 1.9 TDI 4 cylinder engine.

Half engine refers to just the bottom end (engine minus the cylinder head). Since the condition of the cylinder head of your current engine is unknown, I would strongly recommend you go for a complete engine.

Good luck bro.
Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by LeJeun3: 8:40pm On Apr 16, 2016
Make I acquire a plot here.....

Been nursing a Diesel hunger for a while!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by Natty14(m): 9:43pm On Apr 16, 2016
Siena:

A 1.9 TDI is a decent engine, being diesel, it has great pulling power, despite the small capacity. It's all about the torque it develops.

The 2.5 TDI 5 cylinder can be installed, but it involves a lot more than the obvious engine. Gearbox, driveshafts, wiring, ECU, exhaust, cooling system and a whole bunch of stuff will need to be replaced too, with no guarantees your mechanic will do a decent job. My advise would be to stick with the 1.9 TDI 4 cylinder engine.

Half engine refers to just the bottom end (engine minus the cylinder head). Since the condition of the linder head of your current engine is unknown, I would strongly recommend you go for a complete engine.

Good luck bro.

I ve always valued ur advice. i will stick with the 1.9tdi. How do i bargain for a good engine. I don't trust any mechanic here. when the dealers say"half and top" or half engine, the engine top is included, where as the geabox is removed. something like the engine block and the cylinder head... I av seen the engine, they aren't running or attached to any vehicle. Is there any hint on how to check a good engine for novice like me?
Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by Nobody: 10:12pm On Apr 16, 2016
Natty14:

I ve always valued ur advice. i will stick with the 1.9tdi. How do i bargain for a good engine. I don't trust any mechanic here. when the dealers say"half and top" or half engine, the engine top is included, where as the geabox is removed. something like the engine block and the cylinder head... I av seen the engine, they aren't running or attached to any vehicle. Is there any hint on how to check a good engine for novice like me?

It's always easier to check an engine while it is still in the scrap vehicle, and it can be started.

If it's been removed, all you can check are the following:

External condition 1: A Diesel engine of that year will be fairly oily. If it's suspiciously clean, then it's most likely been steam cleaned or pressure washed prior to you seeing it. You need to wonder why.

External condition 2: Check carefully for any visible cracks, or signs of welding on the cast iron block or aluminium cylinder head. If you see anything you're not 100% happy with, trust your gut instinct, and walk away. For every bad one you come across, there are better ones to be had.

General health: Before purchasing a used engine which can't be tested in the donor vehicle, it is wise to establish if it's mechanically sound. Get the seller to bolt a starter motor to the engine, and then they can crank it over using a battery and jumper cables. This way, oil pressure can be checked, as well as the cylinder compression. Any decent mechanic should be able to organise this.

Warranty: Does the seller offer any sort of warranty? Anything between 1 and 3 months warranty on a used engine is fair. It is essential you get the engine fitted ASAP after purchase, so if there are any issues, you've got time to chase up the seller for a refund or exchange.

Best of luck!

1 Like

Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by FLAKARIBE(m): 4:42am On Apr 17, 2016
@siena ..this part I like.
"The low-speed, high torque characteristics of a diesel engine is
particularly suited to automatic transmission. An automatic will also
handle torque spikes better, and is kinder to the differential too"

the way forward in the country is now using diesel powered cars and generators.
I still conducting my research and reading a lot on diesel engines. eg DPF - diesel particulate filters, urban vs mixed use, mpg- petrol vs diesel.
Can we have a list of standard auto diesel shops pls!!!! for routine service in Lagos.
Can someone also please crest a whatsap group and kindly add me.
Mine has to diesel auto yr 03-05 most def;
the hard part Benz vs BMW vs Audi.
Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by seyiaderinto(m): 10:23pm On Apr 18, 2016
Please can't we have a WhatsApp group for this chat

1 Like

Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by Nobody: 3:08am On Apr 19, 2016
ivoryhouse:

Tdi is a class of diesel engines, dont know about the vw though
Suspended the project but will resume real soon
pictures..
A really nice looking TDI Defender. Mehn! those tires can go anywhere especially those Ogun state roads. I see a Jeep Commander in the background. How do you source for the parts and also keep it from the hands of Kazeems?
Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by Ladipodeal: 6:51am On Apr 19, 2016
My nozzle in C200 CDI stuck and difficult to remove. Anybody with nozzle removal in Lagos?
Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by Nobody: 9:35am On Apr 19, 2016
Ladipodeal:
My nozzle in C200 CDI stuck and difficult to remove. Anybody with nozzle removal in Lagos?

Do you mean the injectors are seized in the cylinder head?
Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by Ladipodeal: 11:47am On Apr 19, 2016
Siena:

Do you mean the injectors are seized in the cylinder head?

Yes sir.
Appears the Rings at the tip of injector bad so the number 2 injector brings smoke and car trips off and difficult to start.
Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by Nobody: 1:39pm On Apr 19, 2016
Ladipodeal:

Yes sir.
Appears the Rings at the tip of injector bad so the number 2 injector brings smoke and car trips off and difficult to start.

Diesel injectors tend to seize in the cylinder head if the base copper seal is worn, allowing diesel to escape, and seep into the bore. This carbonises, and as the injector is a tight fit to begin with, it will be a tough job removing it.

Either your shop gets the correct extraction tool, or uses a slide hammer with the appropriate adapted. Otherwise, he could damage the cylinder head.

1 Like

Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by ivoryhouse(m): 10:01pm On Apr 19, 2016
dumo1:

A really nice looking TDI Defender. Mehn! those tires can go anywhere especially those Ogun state roads. I see a Jeep Commander in the background. How do you source for the parts and also keep it from the hands of Kazeems?
Thanks. I get most of the parts for the commander online and Sooper Rescue is my goto guy for servicing et al. I am getting set for DIY maintenance of most of my cars, at least oil change and basic maintenance. cheesy
Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by 9icetoo(m): 3:05pm On Apr 20, 2016
Natty14:

your crank case vent may be plugged.
taking off the valve cover to inspect this is a fairly straight forward task. you may need to replace the ccv to stop oil seeping out of your dipstick hole and valve cover gasket.
however if the overheating has damaged your engine,
you may then need to replace the engine.
someone I met (mentioned it here on nairaland) changed his volks golf TDI engine as a result of what you are complaining about (except overheating) when nothing was actually wrong with it.
Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by bayooz(m): 12:21am On Apr 22, 2016
I got converted to diesel club September last year.
2006 VW Passat. 2.0 TDI.
6 speed Manual transmission.
850-950km for full tank.
It is very lovely.

2 Likes

Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by Natty14(m): 7:42am On Apr 22, 2016
9icetoo:

you may need to replace the ccv to stop oil seeping out of your dipstick hole and valve cover gasket.
however if the overheating has damaged your engine,
you may then need to replace the engine.
someone I met (mentioned it here on nairaland) changed his volks golf TDI engine as a result of what you are complaining about (except overheating) when nothing was actually wrong with it.

Overheating has damaged the engine. Replacing the block and cylinder head seems the only option here. Cos I changed the cylinder head gasket some weeks back. Yet the overheating didn't stop. There's a compression leakage. the mechanic said that i av to change rings which he said involves ; grinding the engine to new size, buying new sleeves(dunno what it means ), metal, etc. .

I don't trust his services too. sometimes he do guess work. So instead of buying the parts for him to fix the engine , Its better i get a good used engine for the T4.

I am find a good vw diesel auto mechanic in Onitsha
Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by Natty14(m): 7:53am On Apr 22, 2016
Siena:

It's always easier to check an engine while it is still in the scrap vehicle, and it can be started.

If it's been removed, all you can check are the following:

External condition 1: A Diesel engine of that year will be fairly oily. If it's suspiciously clean, then it's most likely been steam cleaned or pressure washed prior to you seeing it. You need to wonder why.

External condition 2: Check carefully for any visible cracks, or signs of welding on the cast iron block or aluminium cylinder head. If you see anything you're not 100% happy with, trust your gut instinct, and walk away. For every bad one you come across, there are better ones to be had.

General health: Before purchasing a used engine which can't be tested in the donor vehicle, it is wise to establish if it's mechanically sound. Get the seller to bolt a starter motor to the engine, and then they can crank it over using a battery and jumper cables. This way, oil pressure can be checked, as well as the cylinder compression. Any decent mechanic should be able to organise this.

Warranty: Does the seller offer any sort of warranty? Anything between 1 and 3 months warranty on a used engine is fair. It is essential you get the engine fitted ASAP after purchase, so if there are any issues, you've got time to chase up the seller for a refund or exchange.

Best of luck!

Thanks sire, No warranty, the seller said; "good is good engine, we only give warranty when it comes to gearbox ".
Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by Dexmars(m): 3:36pm On Apr 23, 2016
Please don't let the thread die....I want to buy a diesel engine ride too.
Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by 9icetoo(m): 3:55pm On Apr 23, 2016
Dexmars:
Please don't let the thread die....I want to buy a diesel engine ride too.
Which make and model do you have in mind?
Re: Diesel Engine Club, You Welcome by samally: 4:09pm On Apr 23, 2016
9icetoo:
Which make and model do you have in mind?
do you have any for sell and can you recommended where to buy in lagos

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Mercedes Is Working On Electric G-Class SUV / The 2012 Toyota Camry - Hit Or Miss? / Acting Igp Re-empasizes Ban On Roadblocks.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.