Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,270 members, 7,811,794 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:43 PM

Buhari Arrested 4000 Politicians And Jailed Over 600:Why Surprise Over Probe? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Arrested 4000 Politicians And Jailed Over 600:Why Surprise Over Probe? (1482 Views)

Buhari, AGF Meet Over Probe Of Govt Officials / Mastermind Of Planned Overthrow Of President Buhari Arrested By DSS (photos) / Fayose Cautions Buhari Over Probe Of Military Chiefs, Says $2.1bn Arms Deal Is A (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Arrested 4000 Politicians And Jailed Over 600:Why Surprise Over Probe? by Nobody: 1:13pm On Apr 27, 2015
4,000 EX-OFFICIALS SURRENDER IN NIGERIA
By CLIFFORD D. MAY
Published: January 10, 1984
LAGOS, Nigeria, Jan. 9— Western diplomats reported today that as many as 4,000 officials of the ousted national and state governments had turned themselves in to the police as part of the new military Government's investigation of corruption.

The diplomats said most of the former officials were released, some after their passports were confiscated. But about 400 were reportedly still held under what was described as ''military protection.''

At the same time, the Western diplomats and Nigerian sources said, many of the former officials who were on what the military Government of Maj. Gen. Mohammed Buhari called its ''most wanted list'' have managed to flee the country. Some who were abroad during the military takeover have decided to remain there.

On Dec. 31, the day the elected Government of President Shehu Shagari was overthrown, the new military rulers closed the country's borders and ports and cut off telephone and telex communications. Nigeria's political parties were banned and all elected and appointed officials were ordered to report to the police. No Evidence of Mistreatment

The term ''military protection'' was believed to cover conditions ranging from house arrest to internment in a military compound. The homes and offices of many of these officials have also been searched as part of the wide- ranging investigation into corruption within the former Government.

Diplomats who have been monitoring the situation say they have seen no evidence of mistreatment of the former officials.

Mr. Shagari, who was captured on Dec. 31 as he attempted to flee from the designated Federal capital of Abuja, is currently being held at a military compound in Lagos, as is Alex Ekwueme, the former Vice President.

General Buhari has denied a report that Mr. Shagari was brought to Lagos in handcuffs. The former President, the general said, ''is safe and sound under military protection.''

Among those heading the Government's ''wanted list'' are Chief Adisa Akimloye, chairman of Mr. Shagari's National Party of Nigeria, whose whereabouts are unknown; Umaru Dikko, Minister of Transportation and Aviation, who is in London; Joseph Wayas, former President of the Senate, now in New York; Isyaku Ibrahim, a key financial backer of Mr. Shagari's party and an adviser, also in London; and Chief Richard Akinjide, former Attorney General and Justice Minister, whose whereabouts are also unknown.

Several other top officials of Mr. Shagari's Government who have been held, including Benjamin Chaha, Speaker of the House of Representatives, and Sunday Adewosi, former Inspector General of Police, have been released.

General Buhari has said that he would seek the extradition of those on the wanted list now residing abroad and would attempt to repatriate any money they may have acquired through corrupt practices and deposited abroad.

''We will try to get the money back because we need it,'' the general said.

Last Wednesday, telecommunications were restored and Nigeria's airports and seaports reopened. However, departing ships are being searched for politicians on the wanted list. Borders Still Closed

Nigeria's border crossings remain closed. Many of those who have fled evidently crossed Nigeria's frontiers surreptitiously or used private aircraft.

Soldiers in Lagos and elsewhere in the country continue to man roadblocks, conducting spot checks for fugitive Shagari Administration officials. Expensive imported cars appear to be the main targets of the searches.

General Buhari has not been clear regarding his regime's attitudes to due process of law for those accused of what are being termed ''financial crimes against the nation.''

In a statement made just after the coup, General Buhari said that the military Government would not by hobbled by ''the nonsenses of litigation.''

In later statements, however, he pledged that ''basic freedoms are to be maintained,'' that ''trials are going to be fair'' and that those accused would remain ''innocent unless proven guilty.''
http://www.nytimes.com/1984/01/10/world/4000-ex-officials-surrender-in-nigeria.html
[size=16pt]Polticians don't know the man they are messing with,this man will not compromise his value or be swayed by the opinion of the corrupt. All saying rubbish against the probe of the $20 billion dollars are just wasting your time.If you steal money when he gets to power you will pay the price[/size]

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Arrested 4000 Politicians And Jailed Over 600:Why Surprise Over Probe? by Kolade354(m): 1:16pm On Apr 27, 2015
Baba-Buhari the Abraham Lincoln of our time..........You are role model to we the Youths........Prosecute and Fight Corrupt Leaders.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Arrested 4000 Politicians And Jailed Over 600:Why Surprise Over Probe? by Nobody: 1:20pm On Apr 27, 2015
Kolade354:
Baba-Buhari the Abraham Lincoln of our time..........You are role model to we the Youths........Prosecute and Fight Corrupt Leaders.

No leader has fought corruption like Buhari and his Vice Idiagbon though it was'nt perfect the fight was the most succesful we have ever had in the history of the nation.
Goodluck Jonathan did'nt even arrest one single politician infact he faulted Buhari for jailing Jim Nwobodo for stealing $5 million dollars during one of his rallies "The money Jim Nwobodo stole was'nt even enough To buy a Peugeot"
Re: Buhari Arrested 4000 Politicians And Jailed Over 600:Why Surprise Over Probe? by Nobody: 1:21pm On Apr 27, 2015
Sai Buhari

Sai Buhari

Sai Buhari

Sai Buhari

Sai Buhari

Sai Buhari....Success is assured

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Arrested 4000 Politicians And Jailed Over 600:Why Surprise Over Probe? by socialmediaman: 1:23pm On Apr 27, 2015
Many are hoping so much he fails.. That's why they're still on nairaland after their bets on GEJ winning a re-election. Time will tell, we're all in this country together

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Arrested 4000 Politicians And Jailed Over 600:Why Surprise Over Probe? by Nobody: 1:26pm On Apr 27, 2015
The person below will say something stupid
Re: Buhari Arrested 4000 Politicians And Jailed Over 600:Why Surprise Over Probe? by Kolade354(m): 1:29pm On Apr 27, 2015
dutchjongen:

No leader has fought corruption like Buhari and his Vice Idiagbon though it was'nt perfect the fight was the most succesful we have ever had in the history of the nation.
Goodluck Jonathan did'nt even arrest one single politician he fact he faulted Buhari for jailing Jim Nwobodo for stealing $5 million dollars during one of his rallies "The money Jim Nwobodo stole was'nt even enough To buy a Peugeot"
He is a weak man who run Uneeffective government...........Immigration scam is even enough to sack Abba Moro and co.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Arrested 4000 Politicians And Jailed Over 600:Why Surprise Over Probe? by Nobody: 1:29pm On Apr 27, 2015
socialmediaman:
Many are hoping so much he fails.. That's why they're still on nairaland after their bets on GEJ winning a re-election. Time will tell, we're all in this country together
This is the first we have had a leader that does'nt care about embezzling money and lives a modest lifestyle no private jet,no 50 room mansion,no oil block or petrol Station after being Chairman of NNPC and Minister of Petroleum. Lives in a modest house i'm sure some nairalanders even have houses bigger than him. If you live in Kaduna or Kano go and see his house,modest dwelling.
He really cares about making the country better and instilling discipline,though some characters like Saraki,Amaechi,Tinubu that helped him get the power are corrupt it won't still affect him or make him to do wrong thing.
Re: Buhari Arrested 4000 Politicians And Jailed Over 600:Why Surprise Over Probe? by Nobody: 1:33pm On Apr 27, 2015
Kolade354:
He is a weak man who run Uneeffective government...........Immigration scam is even enough to sack Abba Moro and co.
Corruption has always been a way of life for Goodluck Jonathan,he learnt from his boss Diepriye Alameishegha. That is why he faulted Buhari for jailing Jim Nwobodo.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Arrested 4000 Politicians And Jailed Over 600:Why Surprise Over Probe? by Lobolintin(m): 1:42pm On Apr 27, 2015
Snoring
Re: Buhari Arrested 4000 Politicians And Jailed Over 600:Why Surprise Over Probe? by bettercreature(m): 1:50pm On Apr 27, 2015
Op you really tried oo,how did you dig this story
Re: Buhari Arrested 4000 Politicians And Jailed Over 600:Why Surprise Over Probe? by Nobody: 1:57pm On Apr 27, 2015
bettercreature:
Op you really tried oo,how did you dig this story
Before the election I did my personal research on Buhari because I was'nt born during his time. I kept hearing propaganda against him from PDP so I dug into his history and was able to uncover many things about him from the past. He is a good and sincere man,many people saying rubbish about him know nothing about the time he was in power. For example do you know he paid off all our debt and even when oil prices had crashed he refused to devalue the naira,he was President during the oil glut that crashed oil prices similar to the suituation happening in the world market now.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Arrested 4000 Politicians And Jailed Over 600:Why Surprise Over Probe? by bettercreature(m): 2:02pm On Apr 27, 2015
dutchjongen:

Before the election I did my personal research on Buhari because I was'nt born during his time. I kept hearing propaganda against him from PDP so I dug into his history and was able to uncover many things about him from the past. He is a good and sincere man,many people saying rubbish about him know nothing about the time he was in power. For example do you know he paid off all our debt and even when oil prices had crashed he refused to devalue the naira,he was President during the oil glut that crashed oil prices similar to the suituation happening in the world market now.
send me your email or phone number make i send you card

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Arrested 4000 Politicians And Jailed Over 600:Why Surprise Over Probe? by Nobody: 2:41pm On Apr 27, 2015
bettercreature:
send me your email or phone number make i send you card
dutch_iamdutch@gmail.com
Re: Buhari Arrested 4000 Politicians And Jailed Over 600:Why Surprise Over Probe? by Sweetguy25: 2:44pm On Apr 27, 2015
A single person will not go to jail. This is not 1984.
Re: Buhari Arrested 4000 Politicians And Jailed Over 600:Why Surprise Over Probe? by Nobody: 2:47pm On Apr 27, 2015
Sweetguy25:
A single person will not go to jail. This is not 1984.
Just you wait and see did'nt people got to jail during OBJ time like Bode George,Tafa Balogun,Afolabi from National ID scam. Expect many more to go to jail during Buhari tenure despite the corrupt judiaciary.
Re: Buhari Arrested 4000 Politicians And Jailed Over 600:Why Surprise Over Probe? by Sweetguy25: 2:56pm On Apr 27, 2015
dutchjongen:

Just you wait and see did'nt people got to jail during OBJ time like Bode George,Tafa Balogun,Afolabi from National ID scam. Expect many more to go to jail during Buhari tenure despite the corrupt judiaciary.

These were people under OBJ's government. What I'm saying is that nobody appointed by GEJ's administration will go to jail under Buhari's administration.

Also, Bode George didn't go to jail under OBJ's tenure.
Re: Buhari Arrested 4000 Politicians And Jailed Over 600:Why Surprise Over Probe? by agriboom: 2:58pm On Apr 27, 2015
dutchjongen:

I'm liking the new Nigeria people are really waking up, Spreek je Nederlands?
Re: Buhari Arrested 4000 Politicians And Jailed Over 600:Why Surprise Over Probe? by Nobody: 2:58pm On Apr 27, 2015
Sweetguy25:

These were people under OBJ's government. What I'm saying is that nobody appointed by GEJ's administration will go to jail under Buhari's administration.

Also, Bode George didn't go to jail under OBJ's tenure.
Why would you say?So Abba Moro from Immigration scam,Mohammed Adoke Malabu oil block scam,Allison Madueke will be free to enjoy their loot?

1 Like

Re: Buhari Arrested 4000 Politicians And Jailed Over 600:Why Surprise Over Probe? by Nobody: 3:00pm On Apr 27, 2015
agriboom:

I'm liking the new Nigeria people are really waking up, Spreek je Nederlands?
Ja ik spreken Dutch hence the name dutchjongen I used to live there.
Re: Buhari Arrested 4000 Politicians And Jailed Over 600:Why Surprise Over Probe? by Sweetguy25: 3:11pm On Apr 27, 2015
dutchjongen:

Why would you say?So Abba Moro from Immigration scam,Mohammed Adoke Malabu oil block scam,Allison Madueke will be free to enjoy their loot?

Yes.

What do you know anyway? What are the crimes of these people?
Re: Buhari Arrested 4000 Politicians And Jailed Over 600:Why Surprise Over Probe? by 9jatriot(m): 3:15pm On Apr 27, 2015
dutchjongen:

God bless you OP.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Arrested 4000 Politicians And Jailed Over 600:Why Surprise Over Probe? by Nobody: 3:18pm On Apr 27, 2015
Sweetguy25:

Yes.

What do you know anyway? What are the crimes of these people?
I won't waste any more time replying you, don't have sense

1 Like

Re: Buhari Arrested 4000 Politicians And Jailed Over 600:Why Surprise Over Probe? by Nobody: 3:31pm On Apr 27, 2015
9jatriot:

God bless you OP.
He has been good to me.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Arrested 4000 Politicians And Jailed Over 600:Why Surprise Over Probe? by mikolo80: 11:53pm On Apr 27, 2015
dutchjongen:

Unfortunately that was one of the conditions for support of the general. No probe before may 29

(1) (Reply)

Live Update From Eagles Square..... / 11 States To Seek N300.5bn Refund From FG...As Buhari Meets With Govs Today / Is Buhari Really Confused?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.