Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,395 members, 7,815,850 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:26 PM

Buhari Bars AIT From Covering His Programmes - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Bars AIT From Covering His Programmes (778 Views)

Buhari Bars Incoming Ministers From Using Long Convoys, Appointing Excess Aides / Buhari Has No Powers To Stop AIT From Covering Him – Dokpesi / Hate Campaign: Buhari Fights Back, Bars AIT From Covering His Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Bars AIT From Covering His Programmes by yaxx: 6:13am On Apr 28, 2015
Security advisers of the President-elect, General Muhammadu Buhari, on Monday barred the television crew of the African Independent Television (AIT) from covering the activities of their principal until further notice.

It was gathered that the security team cited adverse security reports and ethical issues as reasons for their action.
Members of the AIT crew, who were at the Defence House, venue of a meeting between the President-elect and a visiting Cuban delegation, led by its Ambassador to Nigeria, were asked to leave the vicinity until further notice.

The crew, who did not speak on record, insisted they would remain and continue to do their jobs because they had yet to be “formally informed”.

“Yes, we were told but we cannot just leave; we have a job to do. In any case, we have not been officially informed about what we have done wrong,” one of them said.

The Director of Press of the All Progressives Congress Presidential Campaign Organisation, Mallam Garba Shehu, confirmed the development.

Shehu said concerns over security and the need to sort out some ethical issues were responsible for the action.

Shehu said: “AIT has been asked to stay aside based on security and family concerns. In addition, General Buhari has decided that they will have to resolve some issues relating to issues of standard and ethics.

“We will be talking with them to try and resolve the matter but for now, the station has been asked to stay aside because, like I said, there are some family and security concerns.

“They have been asked to step down their coverage until we resolve the matter with them on ethics and standards.”

Visit http://www.frontiersnews.com/NG/ for more
Re: Buhari Bars AIT From Covering His Programmes by kelvyn7: 6:16am On Apr 28, 2015
good for them.

next time they will know that a media house is not supposed to be partisan
Re: Buhari Bars AIT From Covering His Programmes by olymurphy(f): 6:21am On Apr 28, 2015
like seriously

1 Like

Re: Buhari Bars AIT From Covering His Programmes by CountDracula(m): 6:22am On Apr 28, 2015
He shud hire nairaland to cover his programmes...
Re: Buhari Bars AIT From Covering His Programmes by kelvyn7: 6:27am On Apr 28, 2015
he should hire Sahara reporters grin

omo, those guys finish PDP on Facebook grin grin
Re: Buhari Bars AIT From Covering His Programmes by delishpot: 6:30am On Apr 28, 2015
Oh, so its possible to do that fa? To bar a media house in a democratic government. Now that I know, let me go bann NTA from my doormouth.
Re: Buhari Bars AIT From Covering His Programmes by greatmarshall(m): 6:35am On Apr 28, 2015
This is just the beginning... Very soon ona go see the beast wey una elect put sey make e rule una... All these AP-SHIT senseless people
Re: Buhari Bars AIT From Covering His Programmes by tyson99(m): 6:41am On Apr 28, 2015
greatmarshall:
This is just the beginning... Very soon ona go see the beast wey una elect put sey make e rule una... All these AP-SHIT senseless people
ur fada ashiere

1 Like

Re: Buhari Bars AIT From Covering His Programmes by KINGSNEEZE(m): 6:43am On Apr 28, 2015
Gradually Nigerians are getting the "change " they want! We will all enjoy dis cus am pretty sure it will surely hit each of us one by one, directly or indirectly. Soon we will realize that Jonathan is a saint
Re: Buhari Bars AIT From Covering His Programmes by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 6:54am On Apr 28, 2015
Too petty@baba1chance
Re: Buhari Bars AIT From Covering His Programmes by psucc(m): 6:59am On Apr 28, 2015
I think Buhari is satisfied with Sahara Reporters and quite uncomfortable with the company of AIT who may equally report as an Opposition Media.

But the issue of ethics and security is one that can should be handled by BON, and not Buhari himself.

He is going too far for a start but this is a clue of what to expect.
Re: Buhari Bars AIT From Covering His Programmes by iliyande(m): 6:59am On Apr 28, 2015
delishpot:
Oh, so its possible to do that fa? To bar a media house in a democratic government. Now that I know, let me go bann NTA from my doormouth.

You have that right to cover your program, but you don't have right to close their operations within the confined area of duty. They can still brocast buhari programme by what ever means either by clandestine coverage that is left for them. He have his civil rights reserved as a president elect
Re: Buhari Bars AIT From Covering His Programmes by cdz: 7:29am On Apr 28, 2015
I have read people talk about freedom of speech and press freedom and freedom of information in relation to this issue. There is such a thing as ethics of broadcasting and one fundamental tenet of that ethics is truth. If the intense hate documentaries broadcast by AIT were done in the service of truth, then this is not a fight against the AIT but a fight against truth.

However, considering the rather crass and unprofessional nature of those broadcasts which constituted an embarrassment to us as a people in the global sphere, this is a step in the right direction. AIT violated the ethics of its profession and BON stood by while it happened. The man in the eye of the storm therefore has a right to defend himself and to protect his right to a good name. There is such a thing as calumny and the intensity with which AIT indulged in the act of character assassination would scare even me if I were in Buhari's shoes. They showed so much hate that it was no longer a matter of just doing your professional duty. Anyone who hates you that much may harm you physically and certainly constitutes a security risk near you.

All men have a right to a good name and any deliberate attempt by any media outfit to violate that right constitutes slander which is itself a crime that cannot be excused on the grounds of freedom of speech or press freedom.

Buhari has not proscribed AIT - and should not, on this count. He has merely said, "I don't want your cameras on me." And everyone has a right to say that.
Re: Buhari Bars AIT From Covering His Programmes by delishpot: 7:43am On Apr 28, 2015
iliyande:

You have that right to cover your program, but you don't have right to close their operations within the confined area of duty. They can still brocast buhari programme by what ever means either by clandestine coverage that is left for them. He have his civil rights reserved as a president elect

Thank you for explaining.
Re: Buhari Bars AIT From Covering His Programmes by qualified(f): 8:06am On Apr 28, 2015
What a lame explanation?! Family and security concerns indeed!

Thank God for GEJ for the FOI bill, if not .........

Else NL will also be banned too
Re: Buhari Bars AIT From Covering His Programmes by disumusa: 8:15am On Apr 28, 2015
infact buhari is too gentle, ait is no1 buhari enemy
Re: Buhari Bars AIT From Covering His Programmes by Bunker1(m): 8:54am On Apr 28, 2015
Disaster is coming
may 29th.

(1) (Reply)

See The Best Way Of Transportation In Lagos Because Of Fuel Scarcity(pic) / Why Bala Mohammed Should Be Probed - Tukur / Isis Open 5 Star Hotel In Iraq

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.