Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,495 members, 7,816,176 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:06 AM

PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! - Foreign Affairs (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! (58150 Views)

Xenophobia: We Should Not Be Ungrateful To Those That Helped Us ― Mbeki / The 10 Most Corrupt Countries In The World: Nigeria Not On The List! / Rare Photos: Remembering Apartheid In South Africa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by frisky2good(m): 6:49pm On Apr 29, 2015
Why are we complaining? They tested the waters by not giving GEJ due recognition during Mandela's burial but what did we do, we blamed GEJ for not being a strong president. If those that know the history had voiced their concerns then, maybe things would have been corrected. Well, who even cares if they appreciate what we did for them? By the time Zuma finishes with them, they will be seeking asylum in Nigeria.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by SirShymexx: 6:49pm On Apr 29, 2015
emmatok:

Let's say the truth, the support Nigeria gave SA during the crisis was covert. And were not internationlly recognized.

Remember the Nigeria military regime was not in good terms with the west, and the human rights activists were giving bad image.

Nah, apart from the Murtala Muhammed and probably the Buhari regime - all other Nigerian military regimes pre-1993 had good relationships with the West. OBJ visited President Carter. And Babangida had perfect relationship with both Reagan and Thatcher - he was their boy, hence they ran Iran-Contra through Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by Horlufemi(m): 6:58pm On Apr 29, 2015
searay:
No comment except

[size=40pt]GEJ till 2019[/size]

e be like say you just wake up from coma. check date before posting rubbish.
Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by JiggamanGh: 6:59pm On Apr 29, 2015
bakynes:
The hatred South Africans have towards us is legendary. Just like Jonathan wasn't allowed to speak @ Mandela's burial. I believe Nigeria contributed towards stopping the Aparthied regime if not Mandela wouldn't have visited Nigeria after he was released from Prison. Countries like Britain and their Dutch slave masters (Netherlands) who maltreated them were listed to have supported the Aparthied government, countries like Czech and USSR were racist and wouldn't have supported them much yet they recognized them and didn't recognize a fellow black nation that helped them.Like many have said is time we stop this big brother attitude, just like nearby Ghana benefiting from our huge contributions to ECOWAS they still hate us.

Maybe is because of this superiority complex u have towards your african brothers that's why Nigeria was not mention. You like to boost too much. What huge contribution have you made to Ghana and who said Ghanaians hate. Yall need to stop the bitching about other africans hating you because is all in your head.

4 Likes

Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by Xion: 7:06pm On Apr 29, 2015
LeSudAfricaine:
So much"The Giants Of Africa" you guys are the crybabies of Africa! What exactly are you so upset about? What do you guys want? A Medal? Money? All this anger due to "Shout Outs?" You guys are'nt serious, This anger is better direct to your authorities to help free the Chibok girls for god's sake!

And what does your country get?
Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by D9ty7(m): 7:08pm On Apr 29, 2015
Keneking:
Great, this government of Jonathan sef shocked
How does the topic relate with Jonathan and his government? When was the anti-apartheid movement on a high? When did Jonathan become president?
Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by adamskutty(m): 7:08pm On Apr 29, 2015
JiggamanGh:

Maybe is because of this superiority complex u have towards your african brothers that's why Nigeria was not mention. You like to boost too much. What huge contribution have you made to Ghana and who said Ghanaians hate. Yall need to stop the bitching about other africans hating you because is all in your head.
jiggi shaaarap! Stop sideing with southern bantus, u have nothing in common with drug addicts. grin
Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by vandalZA(m): 7:14pm On Apr 29, 2015
vacanci:
At least i remember Majek Fashek singing "FREE MANDELLA" back then, and the music made waves across Africa.
after that what happened?

1 Like

Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by seppuku: 7:19pm On Apr 29, 2015
JiggamanGh:

Bros let me tell you the honest truth, The average Nigerian does not even think about his African counterpart in our daily lives so I don't know where that superiority thing comes from. I no send Ghana boy or Liberian boy for that matter o!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by vandalZA(m): 7:21pm On Apr 29, 2015
TheSonOfMark:

Just perfect. South Africa, please can you folks return the billions we sent to you (with interest ofcourse)? We need the money to help fund our economic ventures. Thank you in advance, idiots!
what if there were no billions spent to south Africa......what if it was the only explanation your leaders could tell rather than telling you the truth that there was no money going to south Africa, they spent the money on their personal needs private jets are proof of that
Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by 989900: 7:23pm On Apr 29, 2015
SirShymexx:

Lol. It's difficult to explain depth/nuances in expression to vacuous/shallow people.

It's just basically like trying to explain life to adolescents...you can't really say much than tell them what they want to hear.

I believe that's applicable to ya case. grin

LOL. grin

I'd help your ludicrousness, give the below to any 10 year old on the street as a 'comprehension test', asking the following questions:

1. According to Mandela, which country stood by South Africa the most during apartheid?

2. Nigeria gave huge amounts of money to help the South African struggle -- True of False?

3. Which other nationalities testified to Nigeria's support according to Mandela?

From the horse's mouth:
“You know I am not very happy with Nigeria. I have made that very clear on many occasions.
Yes, Nigeria stood by us more than any nation, but you let yourselves down, and Africa and the black race very badly. Your leaders have no respect for their people. They believe that their personal interests are the interests of the people. They take people’s resources and turn it into personal wealth. There is a level of poverty in Nigeria that should be unacceptable. I cannot understand why Nigerians are not more angry than they are.

“What do young Nigerians think about your leaders and their country and Africa? Do you teach them history? Do you have lessons on how your past leaders stood by us and gave us large amounts of money? You know I hear from Angolans and Mozambicans and Zimbabweans how your people opened their hearts and their homes to them. I was in prison then, but we know how your leaders punished western companies who supported apartheid.

“What about the corruption and the crimes? Your elections are like wars. Now, we hear that you cannot be president in Nigeria unless you are Muslim or Christian. Some people tell me your country may break up. Please don’t let it happen.
“Let me tell you what I think you need to do. You should encourage leaders to emerge who will not confuse public office with sources of making personal wealth. Corrupt people do not make good leaders. Then you have to spend a lot of your resources for education.
“Educate children of the poor, so that they can get out of poverty. Poverty does not breed confidence. Only confident people can bring changes. Poor, uneducated people can also bring change, but it will be hijacked by the educated and the wealthy…give young Nigerians good education. Teach them the value of hard work and sacrifice, and discourage them from crimes which are destroying your image as a good people.”

--Mandela.

If that can't help you, nothing will -- oh my bad, you know more than Madiba.
Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by vandalZA(m): 7:24pm On Apr 29, 2015
omonnakoda:
How old are you?
old enough to understand the situation..... The same question of age should be returned to you, how old are you
Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by currentbrands(m): 7:24pm On Apr 29, 2015
yurme:
Awon S.a yi ti ya werey

Walahi!.....weyrey gidi ni won
Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by Haywhymido(m): 7:25pm On Apr 29, 2015
well deserved, when u take ur own people with levity hands n take fking strangers more important, show dem care dan ur own people. The above is what u get. Majority r suffering in nigeria yet dey keep sending aids to oda countries, tell me which wise person solve oda people's problem b4 solving his
Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by vandalZA(m): 7:26pm On Apr 29, 2015
NCOIM:
Its really not needed
South Africans are bunch of Pained Overgrow Idiots angry They just woke up one morning and started killing people
Psychotic Miscreants
Nigeria Shouldn't be looking After this ungrateful Devilish country Whether they like it or not Nigeria will andmust remain the largest Economy
Bunch of pathetic ingrates angry angry
same applies to you country
Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by vandalZA(m): 7:28pm On Apr 29, 2015
vacanci:
At least i remember Majek Fashek singing "FREE MANDELLA" back then, and the music made waves across Africa.
world wide musicians did the same, what are you trying to say?

1 Like

Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by Nobody: 7:30pm On Apr 29, 2015
D9ty7:

How does the topic relate with Jonathan and his government? When was the anti-apartheid movement on a high? When did Jonathan become president?

In reaction to the xenophobic attacks on non-nationals, a government rep told us recently that SA is not appreciative of the support Nigeria gave to her during the apartheid era. So where is the role? grin
Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by vandalZA(m): 7:34pm On Apr 29, 2015
Cutest9gerian:
This is what happens when a father leaves his house to go and feed his neighbors children
what if the father didn't go to feed the children of his neighbours, he took the money and visited a night club to live a good life and spending the money to the neighbours became an excuse to his wife if she asked about the money
Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by DieVluit: 7:35pm On Apr 29, 2015
youmour:
Whats beef grin

Beef is when I see you... guaranteed to be in ICU.

1 Like

Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by 50calibre(m): 7:36pm On Apr 29, 2015
SirShymexx:

Brev, those aren't academic sources - those are Nigerian propaganda sources based on the lies the Nigerian government told the Nigerian people.

- The first one cited $61 billion. Where did Nigeria get $61 billion from to expend on another country? The highest Nigerian budget ever for a year, in the history of Nigeria, isn't up to $40 billion - that was at the peak of oil prices, when they were extremely/ridiculously high. Heck, even if they were to sell all of Nigeria's stakes in its oil industry - I doubt Nigeria will get $61 billion back for everything. grin

That number is just ridiculous and an outright lie. And that's enough to question the validity of the claim.

- The second source is wikipedia - that is not an academic source. Anyone can go on wiki to post anything there. Okay, let's accept it as an academic source: who were these people? The names of the faces of the struggle are out here - how many of them were exiled in Nigeria? Can you list them?

The academic source, by Ann Genova, in which I provided isn't just some propaganda tool - that's a journal by an academic from Boston University. And a well researched scholarship/journal about African historical studies.

Link here for you: http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/25741399?uid=3738032&uid=2&uid=4&sid=21106636130833

Reference:

Nigeria's Nationalization of British Petroleum - Ann Genova
The International Journal of African Historical Studies
Vol. 43, No. 1 (2010), pp. 115-136
Published by: Boston University African Studies Center

Hahahahaha do you really think this low of Nigeria? Well you must remember that this wasn't a lump sum spent in one fell swoop but spent over a period of more than 30 years of the apartheid struggle.

Nigeria's oil stake is way more than that, it was valued recently.

The Nigerian government didn't tell the Nigerian people any lie, the Nigerian people saw things for themselves, they said things that were corroborated by many black South Africans (including Mandela) if anyone told a lie at all, it's the western governments who tried and howbeit succeeded in white-washing and presenting their own contorted version of history. They've succeeded in erasing the evil role they played in the 50+ years of apartheid, and now they try to tell Africans who were on the frontline what really happened whereas they were not there.

My sources are not propaganda Nigerian websites, one isn't even a Nigerian website and besides they're narratives from people who were around at the time.. Doesn't sound like propaganda to me but lets assume it's true.

Are you seriously hinging your case on this one academic source?

1 - I'm not doubting it's credibility

2 - Ann Genova isn't really saying anything but expressing cynicism... Read it again.

I urge you to show me one academic source where the role of Nigeria is explicitly denied?

I've shown you as much evidence as I could and even shown you perhaps the most tangible evidence (which is Mandela himself speaking) but you've chucked it down to one theory or the other.

I also asked you to give me one clear reason Britain (an open supporter of apartheid) was included in the list but you haven't answered.

Which leads me to believe you've been recruited by the South African government to help in white-washing history grin grin grin which is the only logical explanation I can come up with.

3 Likes

Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by Nobody: 7:54pm On Apr 29, 2015
SirShymexx:

You have what it takes to be astute and really knowledgeable, with a mind that can decipher a lot of things. But you're just too emotional and that obfuscate what should have been an enviable potential. Perhaps, it has to do with ultra-nationalism - who knows?

Campaigning to deny yourself something, which might be the best value you can get, and that also contributes to the well-being of those you're trying to protest for/with, is always counter-productive. It's synonymous with how we black folks in diaspora always burn down our neighbourhoods in protest against the racist white establishment. What happens when the smoke clears? We go back to the same burnt down neighbourhood. The joke is on you.

That is why I need to learn chess...to help me be more calculated, calm and composed...3Cs ..I used to make this my New Year or birthday resolution, all the time cheesy...until I gave up and accepted it may not happen
I even send my posts while (or even before) thinking, at times furious or very cracked up or even very touched...that bad
Actually it is a toss up between chess, and weed....which would calm me more? cheesy
Anyway...again, I saw the compliment
Thank you

(Meanwhile @ knowing stuff lipsrsealed...I wish!...I wanna know and get more)
Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by Isangad1(m): 8:01pm On Apr 29, 2015
ryt now i feel lyk punching a s/a skul
Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by JiggamanGh: 8:03pm On Apr 29, 2015
adamskutty:
jiggi shaaarap! Stop sideing with southern bantus, u have nothing in common with drug addicts. grin

Bro I am with Nigeria, we all know South Africa ommited nigeria out of spite, but I had to set that boi straight.
Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by JiggamanGh: 8:05pm On Apr 29, 2015
seppuku:

Bros let me tell you the honest truth, The average Nigerian does not even think about his African counterpart in our daily lives so I don't know where that superiority thing comes from. I no send Ghana boy or Liberian boy for that matter o!

Sure whatever makes you happy but your bros and sisters are always playing victim on this website. Everyday someone hates you. Is all in your head
Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by Fourwinds: 8:07pm On Apr 29, 2015
Samirana360:

Buh u didn't mention any african country...man we ar talkin abt africa here nt d world in general....I didn't say we ar giant of d world....let's discover africa
u don't look at d low level of people around to advance in ur development. China didnt feel because dere is no superpower in Asia so she doesn't need to aspire for one. She rather looked into Europe and America to take giant strides. To day, who is USA to tell China to shut up. If u use Africa as a yard stick for Nigeria to grow, u will be myopic in dat respect. U are limiting urself to Africa
Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by solayd(m): 8:11pm On Apr 29, 2015
SirShymexx:

Are you educated? How does nationalising a multi-national in Nigeria mean helping anti-apartheid movement and the poor blacks in South Africa? How did it benefit them? It would've benefited if Nigeria allowed ANC to take over the company after nationalising it. That was just a protest that benefited Nigeria, more than anything in South Africa back then.

Also, at the peak of the struggle - Nigerian leaders were cosy with Lady Magaret Thatcher who was an unrepentant apartheid regime supporter. So, I wouldn't bet on diplomatic support as well.

Don't let emotions get into ya head...look at it logically and provide concrete proofs of overt/covert help Nigeria rendered. Personally, I think the unsung heroes who helped in breaking the yoke of the apartheid regime in South Africa were the Afro-Cubans (and Fidel Castro) who fought in Angola. If they hadn't defeated the apartheid government in that theatre, I honestly don't think it would've ended the way it did. However, Castro and Cubans don't get all the credits they deserve but you don't see them moan the way Nigerians moan.

Let's deal with issue the way they happened and not let ego tripping get into it.

is you that i should ask that question. Anyway lemm help your ignorance with the simple reason for the Nationalisation of BP to AP later become FO. 1979 to be precise BP come with a policy that may stem Nigeria from supply oil to ungrateful south Africa but Nigeria military government led by Obasanjo resist the BP action by sudden nationalisation and with reason that they have no right to tell Nigeria whom to associate with. if you need more education u can ask question
Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by seppuku: 8:11pm On Apr 29, 2015
JiggamanGh:

Sure whatever makes you happy but your bros and sisters are always playing victim on this website. Everyday someone hates you. Is all in your head

The only people I know for a fact that "HATE" my people because the only version of us they know are the semi literate Nigerians hustling in their country are South Africans. The rest of the continent which have more similar histories just dislike some of our outlandish behaviours.

Two different things.
Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by wildikeman(m): 8:16pm On Apr 29, 2015
ozoigbondu:
l don't blame SA rather l blame those idiotic morons masquradeing as millitary rulers that spent most of our money trying to libetate a bunch of savages.

lf i remember correctly Nigeria was the first country Mandela visted when he was relased to thank us for pumping billions to help them turns out it was a waste of resources

And to think we nationalized British Petroleum because of these savage zulus
my man do not blame them. Till today our government still dey look like mumu
Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by JiggamanGh: 8:25pm On Apr 29, 2015
seppuku:

The only people I know for a fact that "HATE" my people because the only version of us they know are the semi literate Nigerians hustling in their country are South Africans. The rest of the continent which have more similar histories just dislike some of our outlandish behaviours.

Two different things.

Gotcha
Re: PHOTO: SA Lists States That Helped Their Apartheid Fight - Nigeria Not Listed! by seppuku: 8:26pm On Apr 29, 2015
JiggamanGh:

Gotcha

On a side no JiggamanGH, no be your brother dey caus havoc for Nigeria in this video and we didn't do anything to him.

Hmmmm

Confirm please

http://smileandtalk.com/2015/04/29/arik-air-delays-passengers-for-3-days/

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Americans Blast Zelensky For Rejecting Elon Musk's Peace Deal With Russia (Pics) / Russia’s New Mega-missile Stuns The Globe / Putin Places Sergey Beseda Under House Arrest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.