Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,113 members, 7,821,821 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:27 PM

FG To Send Yoruba Teachers To Brazil - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG To Send Yoruba Teachers To Brazil (42469 Views)

Ministerial List: Buhari Only Sent 21 Names, To Send Other Before Tuesday / FG To Deploy Yoruba Teachers To Brazil / Mimiko Blackmailing Ondo Teachers To Vote Jonathan - Sahara Reporters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG To Send Yoruba Teachers To Brazil by macof(m): 3:10pm On May 07, 2015
ECOTERRORS:
Next thing some skunks wll turn this int a tribal bashing thread.

So Neymar and Ronaldinho are yorubas.
Its very likely that most Brazilian players are of Yoruba ancestry
Re: FG To Send Yoruba Teachers To Brazil by isalegan2: 3:39pm On May 07, 2015
otokpamike:
Which of the Yoruba langauge will they teach them,since we have different types.

I don't think it's that hard to figure out what version/type of the language to teach, since, when language is written down it's quite straightforward. The difference comes in when you hear people speak - which is more about dialect. It is one language.

It's not that the words are that different. It's more the pronunciation is different. For example, take someone in the United States. When you read a book it's all written in English but when you go to different parts of the country people do sound different. You might not pick it up if you're from another country. . . as far as you're concerned everybody sounds different (from you) you don't know the difference between the difference (regions). lol.

Also, further compare how somebody who's speaking English in an Irish dialect speaks English to how a Londoner like Hugh Grant the actor speaks English, then compared that to how a Scottish person speaks or how a Southern United States person speaks his own English.

You know see those are simply issues of dialects and pronunciation not (a different version/type of the) language.

I also wanted to mention that this subject is quite interesting because 3 weeks ago I actually ran into someone - a stranger - who was very interested in Yoruba. She wanted me to teach her in the few minutes that she was around - she wanted me to teach her some Yoruba words. She said it (knowledge and interest) was very much in demand in her world. I taught her how to say good morning (E kaaro), good evening (E kaale), Hi/Hello (Bawo ni?). . . told her boy (okunrin) and girl (obinrin) . . . you know, just very basic things. And she remembered when she was leaving. She said that her school was actually very interested. . . that "you could teach it at our college." Of course no native Yoruba speaker would hire me to teach anyone how to speak it shocked cheesy maybe write it. lol. tongue

Just shows you the extent of the interest. The funny part of it is that she's not even African or connected to Nigeria in any way. This is just an American teenager that said that in her little 2 or 4-yr college, that's not Emory or even GA State - a small school that doesn't have a great deal of international students or foreign affairs or culture dept, yet the interest is everywhere.

Its good for Africa. Today it's Yoruba. Tomorrow it's Ashanti. Next day it's going to be all the languages. We cannot continue to be controlled by our own colonial past. We have to rise above it and take our spot next to everybody else not beneath anybody!

note: mostly dictated; limited on phone; apologies for typos.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG To Send Yoruba Teachers To Brazil by macof(m): 3:40pm On May 07, 2015
babyosisi:

Nna na wa o
Like folks don't know how these people went to Brazil
There in Brazil they are considered second class citizens also
What is to celebrate there?
Everything is a reason for owanbe

not true. Blacks in Brazil aren't second class pls

2 Likes

Re: FG To Send Yoruba Teachers To Brazil by macof(m): 3:59pm On May 07, 2015
ireneidiva:

This is just too childish of you. We are all Nigerians first before being igbo or yoruba. No tribe is superior. So please grow up.
Big delusion

We are first our ethnicity before Nigeria
I have more relatives in Brazil than in some parts of this dammed Nigeria

1 Like

Re: FG To Send Yoruba Teachers To Brazil by ireneidiva(f): 4:46pm On May 07, 2015
macof:

Big delusion

We are first our ethnicity before Nigeria
I have more relatives in Brazil than in some parts of this dammed Nigeria
What is the relationship between your comment and mine?
Re: FG To Send Yoruba Teachers To Brazil by macof(m): 7:25pm On May 07, 2015
ireneidiva:

What is the relationship between your comment and mine?
aunty try answering that urself ejo

2 Likes

Re: FG To Send Yoruba Teachers To Brazil by birdman(m): 3:59am On May 08, 2015
isalegan2:

Are you really a physician? I've seen your posts for years and you display prejudice and hate bordering on the pathological. It's unusual to see an MD who has taken the Hippocratic Oath so unashamedly and relentlessly delight in anti-social behaviour. I once saw a post of yours where you compared 12-year old girls who want to wear hijab in school to prostitutes. Is that the way you see children? Would you be comfortable for those who know you to see your Nairaland opinons?

na today? when her real name was exposed on nairaland during the Dr Ariyo debacle, and I googled her, she turns out to be a church founder somewhere in houston. imagine my shock...how anyone can be that high up a religious hierarchy and still be so bitter and resentful. wetin we no go see for nairaland undecided

3 Likes

Re: FG To Send Yoruba Teachers To Brazil by birdman(m): 4:04am On May 08, 2015
on topic, something about yoruba culture definitely draws adherents. I have run into american omo awos, and people who just decided they wanted to learn the language. I sometimes think they watch Yoruba, and fall in love with our general disposition. Then again maybe I am biased tongue

3 Likes

Re: FG To Send Yoruba Teachers To Brazil by tit(f): 4:07am On May 08, 2015
i hope they have amala in brasil

2 Likes

Re: FG To Send Yoruba Teachers To Brazil by birdman(m): 4:13am On May 08, 2015
tit:
i hope they have amala in brasil

they do. and they make it just like you are in the sw. if anyone is going to brazil and needs a few spots where you can get down on amala or poundo at a decent price, i can direct you

2 Likes

Re: FG To Send Yoruba Teachers To Brazil by Twistaray(m): 12:26am On May 13, 2015
Re: FG To Send Yoruba Teachers To Brazil by Mapletraks: 7:40am On May 16, 2015
Mapletraks:
@Op

That is Great!

Bahia in Brazil was the major point in Brazil
where thousands of Yoruba captives from Nigeria and Yorubas in Benin Republic landed.

Some returned to Nigeria after the slave trade ended and many became very wealthy.

The Alakija family came back from Brazil. Candido DaRocha was of Ijesa ancestry whose father also came back from Bahia in Brazil. Candido DaRocha built the Water House on Kakawa st. Lagos Island with another exact replica built by him in Bahia, Brazil in the late 1800s[DaRocha was a very rich man and he was the father of the founder of ADRAO International School, VI].

^^^^^^
^^^^^^
PS. Candido DaRochas mansion is located at
Number 12, Kakawa Street, Lagos Island
at the Junction of Kakawa St. and Broad Street.

It is the place were he lived and it is known
as the Water House - a classic Brazilian architectural work built before 1900!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Tinubu Meets With Ooni Of Ife, Osun Traditional Rulers (Photos / Lucky Aiyedatiwa, Ondo Deputy Governor Moves Against Akeredolu / FRSC Boss Osita Chidoka, New Minister Of Aviation?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.