Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,749 members, 7,809,867 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:21 PM

Arik Suspends Flight On Lagos - Dubai Route - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Arik Suspends Flight On Lagos - Dubai Route (1480 Views)

Julius Berger And RCC Have Started Work On Lagos-ibadan Expressway (PHOTO) / Route Of The Coastal Railway From Calabar To Lagos / Med-view Begins Flight On London - Lagos Route (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Arik Suspends Flight On Lagos - Dubai Route by Nobody: 4:10pm On May 01, 2015
Nigerian carrier, Arik Air, on Wednesday, announced the suspension of further flight operations into Dubai, UAE from Lagos and Abuja airports, citing frustrations from the United Arab Emirates government and harsh operating environment in Nigeria as core reasons for its action. But the development was greeted with shock and outrage by industry stakeholders who see Arik Air's foray into the Dubai route as one sure way of breaking the monopoly of Emirates and assisting the government cut down on capital flight on that route.

"The executive board of Arik Air has taken the decision to temporarily suspend its Dubai service operating from Lagos via Abuja with effect from May 4, 2015," said Chigozie Okereke, Communications Officer for the airline.

"A challenging wider economic environment in Nigeria as well as increasingly stringent travel regulation controls in UAE has contributed to the decision to suspend the service," Okereke added.

Samuel Olu, a Lagos-based travel agent, described the suspension as "shocking", noting that most travellers had heaved a sigh of relief when the airline commenced operations on the route in August of 2014.

"The suspension is shocking and inimical to numerous Nigerians who would always opt to patronise a local airline to a foreign one on international routes. It's so unfortunate but it does the country no good," said Olu.

"It is so annoying that Arik Air has not been able to do this for Nigeria. And what is going to be the fate of passengers who had bought tickets months ahead into June, July and even up to December this year," said Angela Ude, who identified herself as a regular flyer with the airline.

"It is even so sad that in the last one month the airline has been struggling to keep scheduled flight time locally and internationally, and I wish the Nigerian government can intervene and ensure the airline keeps its contract agreement with passengers," she added. Daily Sun learnt that Arik Air's inability to get cheap or subsidised fuel from Nigeria as Emirates and Ethihad get from the UAE government had contributed to making it so difficult for the Nigerian carrier to lower its fares, compete, and remain profitable like the UAE carriers.

Okereke, the airline's spokesperson, acknowledged this much when she attributed recent flight delays and cancellations being experienced by Arik Air passengers in the last few days to crisis in aviation fuel (Jet A1) supply.

Said Okereke: "There has been short supply of the product in Lagos and this has led to rationing by petroleum product marketers. The scarcity has impacted negatively on Arik Air's operations as flights have had to be delayed or canceled in cases where the destination airport has no airfield lighting.

"In some other cases, flights were diverted to other airports outside Lagos where the product was readily available.
http://odili.net/news/source/2015/apr/30/533.html
Re: Arik Suspends Flight On Lagos - Dubai Route by kodded(m): 4:16pm On May 01, 2015
Re: Arik Suspends Flight On Lagos - Dubai Route by manny4life(m): 4:32pm On May 01, 2015
1.I don't know if I am current or not, Arik is NOT Nigeria's flag carrier. The last I checked, they remain a PRIVATE Corporation.

2. Arik lacks the goodwill and thus, can't compete in a stringent environment. Everyone is looking for an easy way out. What happens when Arik competes in the U.S. where they have more than 30 national carriers, and more than a hundred regional and sub-regional and charter carriers?

3. Supply of Aviation fuel: Arik is being too lazy and wants everything delivered to them. Arik should be ashamed of saying they are affected by shortage of Jet A fuel. Any serious airline even in the U.S. have their depot center under contract with petroleum distributors. For instance, IAH is United Airline's hub where more than 500 flights fly out daily. Most of their daily gas fill is from this main hub, and as a result, they have their own service under management contract. They have saved A LOT of money by doing it themselves.

4. Do they expect us to sympathize with them? No... If they feel they have to cancel the service, pay the price or let the passengers fly on other airlines paid for by Arik. Shikena. Laziness is killing a lot of Nigerian business, and whatever happened to corporate lobbying

3 Likes

Re: Arik Suspends Flight On Lagos - Dubai Route by Nobody: 5:46pm On May 01, 2015
manny4life:
1.I don't know if I am current or not, Arik is NOT Nigeria's flag carrier. The last I checked, they remain a PRIVATE Corporation.

2. Arik lacks the goodwill and thus, can't compete in a stringent environment. Everyone is looking for an easy way out. What happens when Arik competes in the U.S. where they have more than 30 national carriers, and more than a hundred regional and sub-regional and charter carriers?

3. Supply of Aviation fuel: Arik is being too lazy and wants everything delivered to them. Arik should be ashamed of saying they are affected by shortage of Jet A fuel. Any serious airline even in the U.S. have their depot center under contract with petroleum distributors. For instance, IAH is United Airline's hub where more than 500 flights fly out daily. Most of their daily gas fill is from this main hub, and as a result, they have their own service under management contract. They have saved A LOT of money by doing it themselves.

4. Do they expect us to sympathize with them? No... If they feel they have to cancel the service, pay the price or let the passengers fly on other airlines paid for by Arik. Shikena. Laziness is killing a lot of Nigerian business, and whatever happened to corporate lobbying
I agree that Arik should do more corporate lobbying, and better planning with the fuel marketers. But they raised a point which some Western airlines have also complained about: Emirates generous subsidies. The likes of Lufthansa, BA have severally complained that they (as non-state airlines) do not get to enjoy the same subsidies that are available to Emirates in Dubai.
Anyway, with a refinery coming on stream in Lagos by 2017, the Jet fuel issues should be reduced to the barest minimum

1 Like

Re: Arik Suspends Flight On Lagos - Dubai Route by manny4life(m): 6:28pm On May 01, 2015
CFCfan:

I agree that Arik should do more corporate lobbying, and better planning with the fuel marketers. But they raised a point which some Western airlines have also complained about: Emirates generous subsidies. The likes of Lufthansa, BA have severally complained that they (as non-state airlines) do not get to enjoy the same subsidies that are available to Emirates in Dubai.
Anyway, with a refinery coming on stream in Lagos by 2017, the Jet fuel issues should be reduced to the barest minimum

Bros, Emirates is a state-owned venture, definitely they will enjoy subsidies. If Nigeria were structured correctly, Nigerian govt will subsidize fuel to $1/gallon vs the current rate + waive all airport fees + guarantee ALL funding with low interest rate, etc. Tell me, why won't they competitive? Other airlines should approach and resolve subsidy issues with their govt because it's more of a domestic fiscal policy vs an airline policy. If Arik knows that Dubai route isn't sustainable, do away with it and codeshare with Emirates. Every penny counts. grin grin grin

One thing is certain, Emirates will continue to get subsidies from their govt; however, another thing is certain, no non-state airline can compete better than the state airline itself. For instance, no airline can compete better in prices Dubai-Houston better than United Airlines. No Airline can compete for Dubai-London route better than British Airways despite Emirates subsidies. At the end of the day, Emirates is limited to Dubai and UAE ONLY where their subsidy works. So it depends on the govt to promote domestic policies that will encourage increased business travelers into their countries. Btw, there is a reason why most of these airlines do not receive handsome subsidies from their govt partly due to corporate greed.
Re: Arik Suspends Flight On Lagos - Dubai Route by Nobody: 6:58pm On May 01, 2015
^^
So BA is dominating the London-Dubai route? That's interesting, but not totally surprising. But Emirates shouldn't be far off from dominating the overall Dubai-UK routes. I learned that they fly into Birmingham and other airports in Britain, whilst BA only originate their intercontinental flights from/to London.
Re: Arik Suspends Flight On Lagos - Dubai Route by manny4life(m): 7:39pm On May 01, 2015
CFCfan:
^^
So BA is dominating the London-Dubai route? That's interesting, but not totally surprising. But Emirates shouldn't be far off from dominating the overall Dubai-UK routes. I learned that they fly into Birmingham and other airports in Britain, whilst BA only originate their intercontinental flights from/to London.

I did not say dominating o, I said better prices...Haha, abeg no put gbese for my head o. Perhaps, there is indeed a possibility that they could dominate the route, I don't know. Perhaps there is a possibility that Emirates may be close to that figure, I really don't know. This is mere speculation.. What I know is that London flights particularly, LHR is largely dominated by BA.
Re: Arik Suspends Flight On Lagos - Dubai Route by idupaul: 7:48pm On May 01, 2015
First and foremost Arik should learn to treat its customers right then watch how things will turn around for them .. I have used them locally and internationally and must say they have no regards for Nigerian who choose to patronise them
Re: Arik Suspends Flight On Lagos - Dubai Route by Nobody: 7:49pm On May 01, 2015
So what happens to people that already have tickets?
Re: Arik Suspends Flight On Lagos - Dubai Route by Nobody: 7:52pm On May 01, 2015
idupaul:
First and foremost Arik should learn to treat its customers right then watch how things will turn around for them .. I have used them locally and internationally and must say they have no regards for Nigerian who choose to patronise them

They have absolutely no ethics
I almost pee peed on my skirt this past January while in PH waiting for a flight to Lagos to board a united airline flight back to the USA with my battalion
The gentleman sitting next to me made a call to an insider and told me the flight I was waiting for hadn't even left Lagos
And the people have no apologies,nobody even tells you anything
They don't care,all they care about is extorting money from passengers
I barely made it to my flight

Nigerian airlines generally treat customers like crap
The same way everyone treats everyone in Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Arik Suspends Flight On Lagos - Dubai Route by manny4life(m): 8:03pm On May 01, 2015
babyosisi:

They have absolutely no ethics
I almost pee peed on my skirt this past January while in PH waiting for a flight to Lagos to board a united airline flight back to the USA with my battalion
The gentleman sitting next to me made a call to an insider and told me the flight I was waiting for hadn't even left Lagos
And the people have no apologies,nobody even tells you anything
They don't care,all they care about is extorting money from passengers
I barely made it to my flight

Nigerian airlines generally treat fist omers like crap
The same way everyone treats everyone in Nigeria

This is why I said they lack the goodwill... Talk about United, the thunder that will punish them is yet to return from vacation. Both of them are in the same boat... What do you expect? NEVER use ARIK, they are disrespectful and have no regard for their passengers. The fact they are given preference has gotten into their head. They forget quickly that good customer service is directly related to good will and public acceptance. Honestly, I don't care about them. If they cannot compete, they should move over..
Re: Arik Suspends Flight On Lagos - Dubai Route by Nobody: 9:38pm On May 01, 2015
manny4life:

This is why I said they lack the goodwill... Talk about United, the thunder that will punish them is yet to return from vacation. Both of them are in the same boat... What do you expect? NEVER use ARIK, they are disrespectful and have no regard for their passengers. The fact they are given preference has gotten into their head. They forget quickly that good customer service is directly related to good will and public acceptance. Honestly, I don't care about them. If they cannot compete, they should move over..
grin grin
The poignant question is where was the thunder vacationing? was it in Hawaii or Uyo?
Re: Arik Suspends Flight On Lagos - Dubai Route by manny4life(m): 9:51pm On May 01, 2015
CFCfan:

grin grin
The poignant question is where was the thunder vacationing? was it in Hawaii or Uyo?

Lmao.. Bia CFCfan, please don't start with me o... Chai, there is God ooo cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Arik Suspends Flight On Lagos - Dubai Route by Nobody: 11:16pm On May 01, 2015
There is no business Nigerians can run professionally. Please, Arik Air should look for a better person for the job to better manage that airlines. There are other airlines from Africa running that route and I don't see the reason why Nigerian own can't do the same. Huh!
Re: Arik Suspends Flight On Lagos - Dubai Route by Nobody: 12:47am On May 02, 2015
all4naija:
There is no business Nigerians can run professionally. Please, Arik Air should look for a better person for the job to better manage that airlines. There are other airlines from Africa running that route and I don't see the reason why Nigerian own can't do the same. Huh!
More like Nigerians find it difficult to run complex businesses like airlines.
Re: Arik Suspends Flight On Lagos - Dubai Route by Nobody: 1:02am On May 02, 2015
CFCfan:

More like Nigerians find it difficult to run complex businesses like airlines.

No wonder flights drop down the skies like termites without wings ,when you factor in the few flights that operate in the area comparatively.
Re: Arik Suspends Flight On Lagos - Dubai Route by Nobody: 1:08am On May 02, 2015
babyosisi:

No wonder flights drop down the skies like termites without wings ,when you factor in the few flights that operate in the area comparatively.
Exactly. US airlines operate close to 1000s of flights daily across the US, and are more professional than Arik that comparatively flies fewer flights. I heard that the Chairman of the airline doesn't really give a hoot about public perception of the airline because it was set up with looted public funds. A former governor and president are alleged to be the hidden sources of the funds used to set up the airline.
Re: Arik Suspends Flight On Lagos - Dubai Route by Nobody: 6:55pm On May 22, 2015
One of the reasons why a national carrier is needed.

(1) (Reply)

Our Ten Best Lines From President Muhammadu Buhari’s Inauguration Speech / Beautiful ASA IGBO Queen Celebrates Nigerian Democracy - Photos / Gov Nyesom Wike Dissolves TIMA-RIV?? Confirm This Report.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.