Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,995 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:44 AM

IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 (12933 Views)

Real Reason I Resigned From Jonathan’s Govt As SURE-P Chairman – Christopher / Ibrahim Babangida , a.k.a. IBB - The Evil Architect Of Nigeria's Downfall / Ojukwus Pledge Of Igbos Support For Ibb- The Evil Genius A Cash Agreement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by Kobojunkie: 2:17pm On Feb 06, 2009
I Tried to find the thread that posted this article only a couple of months ago so we could all compare the responses made to the claim then and what we see ourselves saying now to this from IBB himself.

But, we have IBB revelation and we have that of his close aide to go by.

http://odili.net/news/source/2004/mar/26/20.html

Obasanjo's role in June 12 polls annulment, by Umar

ELEVEN years after the annulment of June 12, 1993 presidential elections by former Military President, General Ibrahim Babangida, his close aide, Colonel Abubakar Umar (rtd), yesterday declared that President Olusegun Obasanjo was one of the opposition elements of the late Bashorun Moshood Abiola's presidency.

Umar, in a 69-page reply to the criticisms of the Special Adviser to the President on Public Affairs, Mr. Femi Fani-Kayode, to his earlier open letter to Obasanjo stated: ''My loyalty to IBB, which people allude to, did not prevent me from vehemently disagreeing with and opposing him when he was being misguided by sinister forces to take decisions that were injurious to good governance and inimical to the existence and unity `of this country.''

''I had in the past resisted all temptations to recount these sad events. In fact, I rejected a very lucrative book contracts simply to avoid any attempt at what may appear as self-glorification and causing injury to some of my colleagues.

The former military Governor of Kaduna State pointed out in the piece, titled: ''I' an opportunist

No Sir,'' that he did not really think of joining issues with Fani-Kayode, but since the issues he raised in an earlier criticism of President Obasanjo's administration has generated public discourse, there was need for him to save his image.
Saying that his account will help in disabusing the mind of the Presidential Adviser of the wrong notion that ''I am an opportunist who courts patronage from leaders, Umar stated that ''I do believe as Deacon Femi posits that leaders are appointed or anointed by God, but in a democracy, He does so through the votes of the electorate.

But as it happens, like in the case of Nigerians, very costly struggles are necessary preconditions for the achievement of democracy. Curiously enough, the beneficiaries of those struggles are often those who contributed little or nothing to the process.

''It is no wonder then that the anointed leaders in their newly-found glory fail to even acknowledge those who were in the vanguard of the struggle which propelled them to their dizzying heights. This point is very eloquently made by those who lament what they rightly perceive as the insufficient recognition by this government of the central figure in that struggle, Chief M.K.O. Abiola.''

Besides, Umar who specifically traced the role of Obasanjo in the annulment of June 12, 1993 presidential polls, remarked that ''if General Obasanjo did not support the annulment by his submission that Abiola was not the messiah that the nation was waiting for,'' the presumed winner would have probably been Nigeria's President.

''It is easy to see the incalculable damage this statement caused to efforts being made by well-meaning Nigerians to prevail on IBB to reverse the unjust decision.

General Obasanjo at that point was a man of huge international stature, he was the most respected former Head of State, both at home and abroad on account of his identification with truth and justice.''

He continued: ''A word from him against the annulment would have made all the difference. But then, he struck the mortal blow. Believe me, many members of the de-annulment group, including Generals Abacha and Diya, drew attention to the Obasanjo statement to demonstrate that Abiola did not enjoy the support of the political elite and did not therefore merit all the sacrifice we were calling for.''

''Had all these forces opposed the annulment, this country would have been saved from Abacha's misrule. For example, there wouldn't have been the 1995 and 1997 coups or rumours of those coups. There wouldn't have been the Aziza coup tribunal that condemned General Obasanjo and his deputy to death along with other officers.''

Still insisting that the administration of Obasanjo should not be seen as different from those of the past, in terms of policies' execution, the erstwhile Governor of Kaduna State noted that ''it is now fashionable and diversionary to accuse any person who criticises the government's brand of economic reforms of mischief, lack of patriotism and ignorance.

''This is an attempt to kill the spirit of democracy, whose essence is dialogue between government and the governed. It is also an attempt to cover up administrative ineptitude through blackmail,'' Umar said.

''In the first place, there is nothing original about the present government's economic reforms. I was part of the government that introduced these same reforms even if I was initially a staunch opponent as the present President then was.''

Umar continued: ''My objective then and now was and is that there is need to implement these policies with minimum pain to the people. A reckless and inhuman implementation of such policies can only lead to massive social dislocations as we are witnessing today.

He lamented that ''when Obasanjo called IBB to give SAP a human face, I thought we shared similar concerns,'' stressing that ''if the same person now believes that those reforms are sacrosanct and not to be challenged, then what do we make of this earlier criticisms.''

''No Sir, we cannot be satisfied with a government that believes it has the monopoly of wisdom to act as it pleases on our behalf, a highly literate society, one that has produced the first African Nobel Laureate, cannot accept that standard."`
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by lucabrasi(m): 2:55pm On Feb 06, 2009
nigerians and attention, grin
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by meexteriox(m): 3:51pm On Feb 06, 2009
@ Lucabrasi
I guess at this point, there is really no need to continue this onslaught on personal views, on a matter
i wish to consider a black spot on Nigeria historical development.
You have your non bending stance while i have mine, we could just go on and on while IBB sits in the
comfort of his Minna Hilltop drinking the best of champagne (our stolen loot could buy)
laughing his head off.

It was enlightening while it lasted though. CHEERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by maxbondp: 4:12pm On Feb 06, 2009
Haaaaaaaaaba, did you learnt history as a soldier, poor you so many facts are clearly omitted. Sir come up with the real issue and don't lie to the whole world because you have it in mind to come back to power. These recent story will not help you.Oga sir, who ask you to tell us why you annulled the election?. Its too late to cry when the head is off. Stay with your family and eat "TUWO" OK.
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by maxbondp: 4:26pm On Feb 06, 2009
How come it took you 15years to cook up such a funny story?. Did you belong to any theatre group unknown to the whole world?.The exacerbating thing is that the man is dead now, just wait from your own retribution of justice. CAN YOU RUN AWAY FROM YOUR SHADOW!!!.
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by Mamajama(m): 4:44pm On Feb 06, 2009
Yoruba man said FUNRAWON NI WON MA FUN RANWON LOGUN JE.

Meaning this man IBB will continue to set the stage for his destruction.

I am still seating here shaking my head in disbelief that IBB actually gave that juvenile excuse for his actions.

Question to you BIGB1. There is a saying prevention is better than cure.

IF IBB knew that pronouncing Abiola as the president will lead to ultimate coup. My question is why waste Nigerians time and resources in conducting the election in the 1st place?
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by Kobojunkie: 4:50pm On Feb 06, 2009
Mamajama:

IF IBB knew that pronouncing Abiola as the president will lead to ultimate coup. My question is why waste Nigerians time and resources in conducting the election in the 1st place?

Better still, how come IBB's own right hand man came out a couple of years ago to claim the reason for the annulment was mainly Obasanjo's non-support for Abiola; and never made any mention of any coup plots by any members?
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by JustGood(m): 5:32pm On Feb 06, 2009
make una forget this babangida of a man.

though he builds castles in the sky, his life will never know peace by the grace of God.

The sufferings of the millions of Nigerians will murder peace and joy in his life
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by Kobojunkie: 5:35pm On Feb 06, 2009
JustGood:

make una forget this babangida of a man.

though he builds castles in the sky, his life will never know peace by the grace of God.

The sufferings of the millions of Nigerians will murder peace and joy in his life

You sure about that? We have had so many before him live and die with blood on their hands. Case: Abacha, died at the top of his game. Took billions of our money with him.
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by JustGood(m): 5:39pm On Feb 06, 2009
Kobojunkie:

You sure about that? We have had so many before him live and die with blood on their hands. Case: Abacha, died at the top of his game. Took billions of our money with him.

Those things dont necessarily make for peace. What you see on the outside is not necessarily what a man really is.

The only problem is that we have allowed the bastard to impoverish us as a Nation
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by Kobojunkie: 5:42pm On Feb 06, 2009
JustGood:

Those things dont necessarily make for peace. What you see on the outside is not necessarily what a man really is.
The only problem is that we have allowed the bastard to impoverish us as a Nation

OOH come on!!! They don't have peace? Do you think majority of Nigerians who have been impoverished by these men have it?
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by lucabrasi(m): 7:04pm On Feb 06, 2009
meexteriox:

@ Lucabrasi
I guess at this point, there is really no need to continue this onslaught on personal views, on a matter
i wish to consider a black spot on Nigeria historical development.
You have your non bending stance while i have mine, we could just go on and on while IBB sits in the
comfort of his Minna Hilltop drinking the best of champagne (our stolen loot could buy)
laughing his head off.

It was enlightening while it lasted though. CHEERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i hear you sir,guess th most important thing is for us to think outside the box and examine issues strictly on their own merits without allowing emotions or sentiments to override
Mamajama:

Yoruba man said FUNRAWON NI WON MA FUN RANWON LOGUN JE.

I am still seating here shaking my head in disbelief that IBB actually gave that juvenile excuse for his actions.

yes and the same yoruba leaders betrayed their man abiola,even one of them asked what he was going to look for in aso rock,never mind that he later reaped the reward of his arch enemy's efforts, so rather than sayn that i think its the same yorubas who are in the process of implosion or self destruction.

how is the excuse juvenille?

he wasted nigeria's time and resources because they didint believe abiola will avchieve a landslide, remember the millitary were not adept at electoral malpractise like the professional politicians of today and they were not as brazen in their actions, like iwu is.
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by Mamajama(m): 7:46pm On Feb 06, 2009
@ Lucabrasi, He wasted Nigerians time and resources by allowing the election to take place in the 1st place and then annulling the election.

How does he IBB knows that Abiola will not be a good leader? Was he at the time evaluating how he IBB devalues Nigerian money and stole billions? Was he scared Abiola will prosecute him for embezzlement?

What merits was IBB basing his arguments on to nullify a free and fair election if not juvenile mentality.
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by Mamajama(m): 7:48pm On Feb 06, 2009
[size=30pt]To me IBB is the new SARAH Palin of Nigeria  just keep coming around to stay in the news[/size]
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by kelvin2009: 9:37pm On Feb 06, 2009
this maradona still dey drible us after many years! na wa o,nigeria the great country with milk and honey.
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by BigB11(m): 10:11pm On Feb 06, 2009
Question to you BIGB1. There is a saying prevention is better than cure.
@Mamajama: You're absolutely on point for a change.
June 12 was annulled to prevent grievous calamity.
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by Kobojunkie: 10:21pm On Feb 06, 2009
Big B1:

@Mamajama: You're absolutely on point for a change.

According to Colonel Abubakar Umar (rtd),  that was not the reason. So who do we believe?
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by saxbe(m): 10:29pm On Feb 06, 2009
i would remember babaginda as the man in the arena who failed with his head hidden below his belt.
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by oderemo(m): 10:41pm On Feb 06, 2009

like something the world had not seen before.
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by Kobojunkie: 10:45pm On Feb 06, 2009
ode remo:

like something the world had not seen before.

I think the biggest question should be how come no one has presented this theory as reason for the annulment before now? Should we now believe this new reason coming to us 15 years after the fact?
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by BigB11(m): 11:56pm On Feb 06, 2009
Look, IBB and Abiola were on the same side; I believe the main purpose of the annulment was to protect Abiola in a way and also to prevent unnecessary calamity that could have crumbled the entire nation.

But of course, I could be wrong, just like Colonel Abubakar Umar (rtd)
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by BOSS7: 12:01am On Feb 07, 2009
Big B1:

Look, IBB and Abiola were on the same side; I believe the main purpose of the annulment was to protect Abiola in a way and also to prevent unnecessary calamity that could crumble the entire nation.

Boy, all the facts you've prevented so far in your bid to support IBB and see propel him to the positive light have proved abortive. Mate, you're always wrong. We're not buying these conjectures you're gorging as it's all BS.

Better quit and have your dignity man.
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by Kobojunkie: 12:05am On Feb 07, 2009
Big B1:

Look, IBB and Abiola were on the same side; I believe the main purpose of the annulment was to protect Abiola in a way and also to prevent unnecessary calamity that could crumble the entire nation.

Since when did you adopt this belief? I have never read you post anywhere on here that the reason for the annulment was to protect Abiola.   According to Colonel Abubakar, Abacha was against the annulment, so who was planning the "supposed" coup?

So, it is your conclusion that Colonel Abubakar Umar(rtd) IS WRONG ? Interesting!! Well, at least you notice that you can not logically agree with Colonel Abubakar's story, and IBBs.
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by oderemo(m): 12:06am On Feb 07, 2009
prevent unnecessary calamity that could have crumbled the entire nation.

stop repeating this nonsense, like what, civil war,  we had that before, hunger , we have , corruption we have, not to give bakassi away , we have already done that,  financial crisis, the man abiola was brilliant at accounting, so saving us from what.
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by BigB11(m): 12:26am On Feb 07, 2009
Boy, all the facts you've prevented so far in your bid to support IBB and see propel him to the positive light have proved abortive. Mate, you're always wrong. We're not buying these conjectures you're gorging as it's all BS.

Better quit and have your dignity man.
My man, I'm not here to promote or support IBB; this is the mistake most people make on this forum.
All I'm saying is, we can not sleep and face the same direction all the time just because they say so. There is always second side to all stories. If this man is brave enough to present his side, why not welcome it and let him be?

When IBB stays quiet, you people cry like a day old baby and when he says anything, you folks cry like an unpaid prostitute.

When OBJ took over as a loud stubborn and corrupt president, Nigerians cried each and everyday.
Now, that Yar'Adua has taken over as a mellow and stable president, Nigerians are still crying.
What exactly do you folks want?

It's been over 14 years that IBB as been gone; we've had about 5 presidents within these years and my people are still crying with absolutely no single plan to contribute in any way.
It is always cool for a typical Nigerian to talk rubbish far away from home.

I see a bunch of crying cowards with blank bullets.
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by BOSS7: 12:28am On Feb 07, 2009
Big B1:

If this man is brave enough to present his side, why not welcome it and let him be?
Please do me a favour and utter this garbag of yours to the families of Dele Giwa.
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by BigB11(m): 12:32am On Feb 07, 2009
If you folks are so upset and crave for a change, why not return back home and fight for your rights?
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by Kobojunkie: 1:10am On Feb 07, 2009
Big B1:

If you folks are so upset and crave for a change, why not return back home and fight for your rights?

Nevermind what we have chosen to do or not do as citizens, the issue here is that you have choosen to believe, and are now preaching that the annulment was to avert a disaster, a theory you never brought up before this new revelation from IBB. I would like to read your response to my questions.
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by igneus: 1:42am On Feb 07, 2009
Is this not the same man that survived two coup attempts durin his unfortunate regime, how come he is now using that lame excuse 15 yrs after. Did he not kill his close friend(mamman Vasta) over a coup attempt. The Anullment did it not take us several yrs backwards. He was willing to satisfy the wishes of e few soldiers over the wishes of Nigerians. Yet when his regime was threatened by a few soldiers he dealt with it. He must be a fool to take for fools with this foolish excuse.
Ibb has dribbled for so long he has started dribbling himself all because of elections. Obasanjo was not contented he came back and he ended up in disgrace. He should learn from him, but I doubt if he will
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by igneus: 1:43am On Feb 07, 2009
Is this not the same man that survived two coup attempts durin his unfortunate regime, how come he is now using that lame excuse 15 yrs after. Did he not kill his close friend(mamman Vasta) over a coup attempt. The Anullment did it not take us several yrs backwards. He was willing to satisfy the wishes of e few soldiers over the wishes of Nigerians. Yet when his regime was threatened by a few soldiers he dealt with it. He must be a fool to take for fools with this foolish excuse.
Ibb has dribbled for so long he has started dribbling himself all because of elections. Obasanjo was not contented he came back and he ended up in disgrace. He should learn from him, but I doubt if he will
Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by maxsiollun: 5:35am On Feb 07, 2009
Funnily enough there is (partial) truth in what IBB said. Several officers WERE so opposed to MKO that they said they would overthrow him no matter what if he was sworn. The DG of military intelligence Brig Akilu was quoted as saying that "Abiola will be president over my dead body". Brig David Mark also said that he would shoot Abiola the day he was sworn in (yes - this is the same guy who is our current Senate President).

Gen Abacha also said "God forbid" the day when Abiola would be in a position to retire him.

IBB did not say anything new in this latest interview. For the past 15 odd years he has been telling all and sundry that had MKO been sworn in, he would have been overthrown in a violent coup within 6 months. He said this as far back as 1998-2000. As usual the Nigerian press missed it as they were pre-occupied with stories about ritual sacrifices, humans turning into snakes, and how "selective" Ribadu was.

1 Like

Re: IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 by Fimmy(m): 6:39am On Feb 07, 2009
Babangida has been a palyer for time and he is still good at what he does best(playing people).He has an am ambition in 2011,he has to protect himself,thats why he is making up excuses for what he did in the best.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Masquerade’s Followers Kill Islamic Cleric In Abeokuta / Cameroonian Army Kills Over 100 Boko Haram Militants / Former Ondo Gov, Mimiko Set To Dump PDP For Labour Party

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.