Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,690 members, 7,816,819 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:52 PM

10 Inventions Women Should Be Grateful For - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / 10 Inventions Women Should Be Grateful For (2156 Views)

To Get Marriage Proposal, Women Should Date Multiple Men —experts / A Gift From My Friend! Should I Be Grateful Or I Should Return It Back To Him? / 5 HOT! Positions Men Dating ‘fat’ Women Should Use (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Inventions Women Should Be Grateful For by TonyOputa(m): 9:37am On May 05, 2015
Ok, I joined NL bout a week now and I really needed to do some cool post.. Something that would attract the males and females alike. I hope this fits in. That said..

"The problem with our generation is that we tend to forget that everything we are using was invented, it never did exist from origin. and there is still room for invention"
- Jeff Bezos (Founder and CEO AMAZON)

So in no particular order I wish to present to you 10 INVENTIONS WOMEN SHOULD BE GRATEFUL FOR plus a brief history.

1. BRA
Before she patented her creation, the New York socialite Mary Phelps Jacob, widely considered to be the inventor of the modern bra, had bought a sheer silk dress and devised a handkerchief and ribbon device as an alternative to unsightly corsets. She later sold her business for $1,500 to Warner Brothers Corset Company, who made $15m from her uplifting invention. Today, UK women spend £1.2bn on bras and pants each year; Marks & Spencer claims a market-leading 38 per cent share of sales.

2. THE CONTRACEPTIVE PILL
The contraceptive pill not only empowered women, but marked a turning point in medicine – it was the first drug used by "healthy" people to prevent something rather than by the sick to treat an ailment. It was developed by a team headed by Carl Djerassi, a chemist, in 1951, but wasn't marketed in the UK until 1962. Since then, more than 300 million women are thought to have used the Pill; in the UK, an estimated three million women use it each year.

3. SANITARY PADS
Through the ages women have used different forms of menstrual protection. Menstrual pads have been mentioned as early as the 10th century. Disposable menstrual pads grew from Benjamin Franklin's invention designed to save soldiers with buckshot wounds.
The first commercially available disposable napkins were Lister's Towels created by Johnson & Johnson in 1896.

4. MASCARA
3400 BC - The primary eyelash mascara was created with the Egyptians using "kohl", which is mostly comprised of the grindings of your naturally found soft, lead ore often known as "galena" (lead sulfide).
In 1860, the 1st commercially ready mascara appeared by famous French perfumer and entrepreneur Eugene Rimmel. The word "rimmel" is actually the term for mascara in numerous European languages (Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, Dutch, Turkish, Romanian, and Persian).

5. HOME PREGNANCY TEST
The first home pregnancy test, which appeared in drugstores in 1977, looked like a kid’s chemistry set: it contained a vial of purified water, an angled mirror, a test tube and red blood cells taken from a sheep. the home pregnancy test became a blockbuster product only when it entered the Wand Era — with ingeniously designed sticks that collected urine at one end and gave results at the other. In 1988, Unilever introduced the first “one step” test, Clearblue Easy, so named for the blue stripe that slowly materialized to indicate pregnancy.

6. HIGH HEELS
It's been said by some that Leonardo Da Vinci was the inventor of the high-heel. While he may have designed a heel or two in his day, the truth is that it really was invented due to military necessity. High-heeled fashion quickly caught on with the fashion-conscious men and women of the French court, and spread to other pockets of nobility in other countries. Both men and women continued wearing heels as a matter of noble fashion throughout the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries.

7. TAMPONS
The ancient Egyptians invented the first disposable tampons made from softened papyrus. The ancient Greeks invented tampons made from lint wrapped around a small piece of wood, recorded in writing by Hippocrates in the fifth century B.C. Other materials used for the first tampons have included: wool, paper, vegetable fibres, sponges, grass, and later cotton. In 1929, the modern tampon (with applicator) was first invented and patented by Doctor Earle Haas who wanted to invent a tampon that could be effectively mass produced.

8. THONGS (G-STRINGS)
Most sources concede that the modern thong was introduced in 1939 when NYC mayor, Fiorello LaGuardia, demanded that nude dancers cover themselves a bit more. But the designer that really put his name to the style was Rudi Gernreich, who created a thong in 1974.
Sources note, however, that thongs were extremely popular on the beaches of Brazil and with the country’s exotic dancers for years, and that the style only came to the United States in the ’90s. From there, it became a standard piece of lingerie.

9. HAIR WEAVES/EXTENSIONS
The idea of hair weaves and extensions first came about in the early days of Ancient Egypt, where men and women utilised extensions in their hair to portray a more elegant appearance. By the late 17th century, wigs in various shapes and sizes became a latest fashion trend. Hair weaves in particular, did not grow interest until the 1950s; even during that time celebrities had been the only ones using them.

10. LIP STICKS
Ancient Sumerian men and women were possibly the first to invent and wear lipstick, about 5,000 years ago. They crushed gemstones and used them to decorate their faces, mainly on the lips and around the eyes. Also around 3000 BC to 1500 BC, women in the ancient Indus Valley Civilisation applied red tinted lipstick to their lips for face decoration. During the Islamic Golden Age the notable Andalusian cosmetologist Abu al-Qasim al-Zahrawi (Abulcasis) invented solid lipsticks, which were perfumed sticks rolled and pressed in special molds

www.tonyoputa.
Re: 10 Inventions Women Should Be Grateful For by naijaboiy: 9:40am On May 05, 2015
Except for the bra,,Men are still responsible for the invention of the other items.

And yet we still complain about the way women use it. grin

Nice and educative thread. cool

Lalasticlala
Re: 10 Inventions Women Should Be Grateful For by adewaletb3(m): 9:41am On May 05, 2015
Nice inventions I must say. But I still somehow wish bra wasn't invented. wink
Re: 10 Inventions Women Should Be Grateful For by vybrant(m): 9:43am On May 05, 2015
yea! men too should be grateful for the invention of thongs grin
Re: 10 Inventions Women Should Be Grateful For by TonyOputa(m): 9:48am On May 05, 2015
adewaletb3:
Nice inventions I must say. But I still somehow wish bra wasn't invented. wink

Lol, then the boobs wouldn't have looked much admirable in cloths for some women. And you know men are moved by waa we see... cool
Re: 10 Inventions Women Should Be Grateful For by xynerise: 9:49am On May 05, 2015
Sanitary pad is one of the greatest invention for women. Imagine the sight of blood coming out when a woman walks on the street.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Inventions Women Should Be Grateful For by Nobody: 9:51am On May 05, 2015
[size=15pt] But for us guys, letz just thank God for creating ladies, only God knows how wide some dudes ass would have been without the existence of ladies grin [/size]

1 Like

Re: 10 Inventions Women Should Be Grateful For by naijaboiy: 9:51am On May 05, 2015
xynerise:
Sanitary pad is one of the greatest invention for women. Imagine the sight of blood coming out when a woman walks on the street.
Very embarrassing I tell you.
Re: 10 Inventions Women Should Be Grateful For by Nobody: 9:52am On May 05, 2015
I'm only thankful for bra

Sanitary pads

G-strings grin

contraceptive pills.

In short, I'm thankful for all cheesy

2 Likes

Re: 10 Inventions Women Should Be Grateful For by xynerise: 9:55am On May 05, 2015
naijaboiy:

Very embarrassing I tell you.
Very very. Ladies will avoid white pants and skirts forever
Re: 10 Inventions Women Should Be Grateful For by naijaboiy: 10:01am On May 05, 2015
xynerise:

Very very. Ladies will avoid white pants and skirts forever

And white trousers.
Re: 10 Inventions Women Should Be Grateful For by xynerise: 10:02am On May 05, 2015
naijaboiy:

And white trousers.
How school na?
Re: 10 Inventions Women Should Be Grateful For by tosyne2much(m): 10:04am On May 05, 2015
If this doesn't get to the HQ before 10pm, tell Seun to deactivate my account cool
Re: 10 Inventions Women Should Be Grateful For by peeparty(m): 10:09am On May 05, 2015
nice thread. girls really need to be grtful
Re: 10 Inventions Women Should Be Grateful For by TonyOputa(m): 10:11am On May 05, 2015
tosyne2much:
If this doesn't get to the HQ before 10pm, tell Seun to deactivate my account cool

Wow cool. I guess am getting a pass mark then wink
Re: 10 Inventions Women Should Be Grateful For by Nobody: 10:13am On May 05, 2015
inventions hmmmmm. I'm thankful for the pad.
Re: 10 Inventions Women Should Be Grateful For by Nobody: 10:14am On May 05, 2015
You're on point bro.. .

Especially that sanitary pads.. Without its invention am sure the ladies would have been covering their southern region with polythene bag..
Re: 10 Inventions Women Should Be Grateful For by Nobody: 10:16am On May 05, 2015
nice thread op
Re: 10 Inventions Women Should Be Grateful For by TonyOputa(m): 10:16am On May 05, 2015
celine234:
inventions hmmmmm. I'm thankful for the pad.

Lol, the idea of it not been invented sends shivers right?
Re: 10 Inventions Women Should Be Grateful For by spongeisback: 10:17am On May 05, 2015
Sanitary pads. The best invention ever!
Re: 10 Inventions Women Should Be Grateful For by TonyOputa(m): 10:19am On May 05, 2015
Midehi:
nice thread op

Thanks a lot...
Re: 10 Inventions Women Should Be Grateful For by naijaboiy: 10:21am On May 05, 2015
xynerise:

How school na?

School is fine o sir.

How's the family?
Re: 10 Inventions Women Should Be Grateful For by Nobody: 10:23am On May 05, 2015
TonyOputa:

Lol, the idea of it not been invented sends shivers right?

nope, its sends shivers of embarrassment. imagine walking on the road with a cloth as sanitary pad. imagine if it slipped off, just imagine you were in the market or walking pass some group of guys. hmmmm

my bros just let your imagination do the talking.. grin
imagine the hot embarrassment, I thank God o. dem Neva born me DAT time. lol
Re: 10 Inventions Women Should Be Grateful For by naijaboiy: 10:27am On May 05, 2015
EricRichie:
You're on point bro.. .

Especially that sanitary pads.. Without its invention am sure the ladies would have been covering their southern region with polythene bag..
gringringringrin
Re: 10 Inventions Women Should Be Grateful For by IamOdin: 10:27am On May 05, 2015
Very soon i'll invent vaginall-lock..Ye know d rest.
grin grin

1 Like

Re: 10 Inventions Women Should Be Grateful For by xynerise: 10:31am On May 05, 2015
naijaboiy:
School is fine o sir.
How's the family?
Very much better.
Re: 10 Inventions Women Should Be Grateful For by TonyOputa(m): 10:32am On May 05, 2015
celine234:

nope, its sends shivers of embarrassment. imagine walking on the road with a cloth as sanitary pad. imagine if it slipped off, just imagine you were in the market or walking pass some group of guys. hmmmm

my bros just let your imagination do the talking.. grin
imagine the hot embarrassment, I thank God o. dem Neva born me DAT time. lol

Lol, wahala for deh oh.
Re: 10 Inventions Women Should Be Grateful For by lanicky(f): 10:46am On May 05, 2015
Artificial ass.......some ladies need to be be grateful for this invention too grin
Re: 10 Inventions Women Should Be Grateful For by demmy0325(m): 10:46am On May 05, 2015
Re: 10 Inventions Women Should Be Grateful For by TheSonOfMark(m): 10:48am On May 05, 2015
11. The miniature make-up set: Without this many women would look like ghosts.
Re: 10 Inventions Women Should Be Grateful For by tosyne2much(m): 10:53am On May 05, 2015
TonyOputa:

Wow cool. I guess am getting a pass mark then wink
more dan pass mark sef cheesy
Re: 10 Inventions Women Should Be Grateful For by Nobody: 11:27am On May 05, 2015
okay

(1) (2) (Reply)

Describe Your Ex And Present Love Using A Movie Title. / Love So Pure By Trypa / Guys Pls I Need Your Views...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.