Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,307 members, 7,819,042 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:25 AM

Prof. Osibanjo's Role as VP - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Prof. Osibanjo's Role as VP (4458 Views)

Photos: Oshiomhole’s Wife, Lara Performs First Role As First Lady / Prof Osibanjo Regarded As APC's Presidential Candidate In A Poster / Prof. Osibanjo Visits Ejigbo Osun State (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Prof. Osibanjo's Role as VP by Rawani: 2:25pm On May 05, 2015
In the light of the conflicting perspectives thrown around this forum on the role of the incoming Vice President according to the 1999 constitution, let us briefly examine the role of the VP;

The VP.

The Vice President of Nigeria is the second-in-command to the President of Nigeria in the Government of Nigeria. Officially styled Vice President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. The Vice President is elected alongside the President in national elections. The office is currently held by Namadi Sambo.

Eligibility

A person shall be eligible for the office of Vice President if he or she is a citizen of Nigeria by birth, at least 40 years of age, is a member of a political party and is sponsored by that political party.

Functions Of The Vice-President Of Nigeria

The executive functions of the Nigerian vice president includes participation in all cabinet meetings and, by statute, membership in the National Security Council, the National Defence Council, Federal Executive Council, and the Chairman of National Economic Council. Although the vice president may take an active role in establishing policy in the Executive Branch by serving on such committees and councils, the relative power of the Nigerian vice president's office depends upon the duties delegated by the president.

Reference:
Services.gov.ng, (2015). The Vice President - Services Portal. [online] Available at: http://services.gov.ng/the-vice-president [Accessed 5 May 2015].
Re: Prof. Osibanjo's Role as VP by Rawani: 2:26pm On May 05, 2015
With regard to the bolded above, an examination of the relationship and nature of President-elect Buhari's personal and professional relationship with his second in command under his previous administration is in order.

Babatunde (Tunde) Idiagbon, one of the few respected officers and former second-in-command during the military rule of Gen. Mohammadu Buhari, January 1, 1984- August 1987 died on March 24, 1999. He was only 56 years old and reportedly collapsed in his home in Ilorin, Kwara State. Let's place the man within a historical context to achieve a better meaning regarding what I believe was a very remarkable and consequential life. First, Idiagbon, famous for his stern attitude, morose demeanor and iron-fist approach to governing had a love-hate relationship with his countrymen. Initially, many felt he was too dictatorial and left no room for compassion for errant fellows. Some, at the time, also felt his approach was right for Nigerians, an unusually boisterous group of people in their country.

He set a clear, firm tone for ruling (with his boss retired Gen. Muhammadu Buhari). Comparatively, retired Generals Obasanjo, Babangida and Nigeria's current ruler Gen. Abdulsalami Abubakar Buhari are quite different from the late Idiagbon. Where Obasanjo, Babangida and Abubakar employ wily tactics to deal with most issues and gradually revealing their intent as masking other numerous goals, Idiagbon never left you in doubt. His uncharitable critics say that's why he did not survive in the system. Unlike Idiagbon, the other three had cheerful outlooks regardless of whatever was happening in (and to) the country.

Nigerians will miss Idiagbon, among other fine if imperfect qualities, for proving, although by force and threat of sanction, that Nigerians can stand on a bus line, and indeed any line (INSIDE Nigeria), to wait their turn. Miracles will never end, my compatriots said, at the time. He proved conclusively that it's not in our stars to be disorderly. The late patriot Idiagbon embodied the capacity for Nigeria's renewal. He, alongside other patriots like Mokwugo Okoye, Aminu Kano and millions of other patriots dead and alive, validate the fact that Nigerians and Nigeria are not cursed to a bestial gamut of unethical damnation and wanton corruption. Even after leaving government, he refused to be "purchased" or used as prop for any regime's slimy games and uncouth shenanigans. Babatunde was not one, to the best of my knowledge, to be used by any regime, including the more-you-look-the-less-you-see regime of incumbent Gen. Abdulsalami Abubakar.

History will recall the late Idiagbon, son of a very modest Muslim family, as a nationalist, albeit an iron-surgeon in search of solutions for his ailing fatherland. Where his military colleagues flinched and became the triple-horned architects of economic decline and king toads of the moral swamp and corruption which have dwarfed Nigeria's destiny, Tunde Idiagbon had the gumption and courage to jail the terribly corrupt, the not-so-corrupt and their team of enablers.

Reference
Usafricaonline.com, (2015). USAfricaonline - General Tunde Idiagbon Departs. [online] Available at: http://www.usafricaonline.com/IdiagbonDeparts.html [Accessed 5 May 2015].

===============================

It is only when we know where we are coming from that we can predict where we are going. Going by General Buhari's precedence, Professor Osibanjo might end up with even more powers and responsibilities delegated to him, especially as he is a technocrat unlike his principal, and Idiagbon.

2 Likes

Re: Prof. Osibanjo's Role as VP by jamex93(m): 2:26pm On May 05, 2015
our incoming VP gallant for all these one jor

e no b like the one wey dey leave
Re: Prof. Osibanjo's Role as VP by loomer: 2:33pm On May 05, 2015
Just inspecting
Re: Prof. Osibanjo's Role as VP by Blastos(m): 2:33pm On May 05, 2015
A Nigerian VP is almost d same as a Senior Personal assistant to d President With huge pay and retirement benefits.

5 Likes

Re: Prof. Osibanjo's Role as VP by CountDracula(m): 2:34pm On May 05, 2015
Op im sorry bt i cudnt bring my eyes to read ur post... Next tym i promise i will
Re: Prof. Osibanjo's Role as VP by Nobody: 2:37pm On May 05, 2015
Rawani:

The executive functions of the Nigerian vice president includes participation in all cabinet meetings and, by statute, membership in the National Security Council, the National Defence Council, Federal Executive Council, and the Chairman of National Economic Council.
So Ngozi was our vice president in the last 6yrs.

1 Like

Re: Prof. Osibanjo's Role as VP by Nobody: 2:38pm On May 05, 2015
Blastos:
A Nigerian VP is almost d same as a Senior Personal assistant to d President With huge pay and retirement benefits.
Atiku wasn't and Osinbajo wouldn't.

3 Likes

Re: Prof. Osibanjo's Role as VP by Mogidi: 2:41pm On May 05, 2015
Mr Rawani stop giving your self useless hope thinking the VP does jack shiitz, the VP is the official house boy to the president.

1 Like

Re: Prof. Osibanjo's Role as VP by Sunnybobo3(m): 2:41pm On May 05, 2015
The post of VP in Nigeria is constitutionally as useless a tissue paper.

As long as the president is alive, hale and hearty, the VP is powerless.

3 Likes

Re: Prof. Osibanjo's Role as VP by Sunnybobo3(m): 2:42pm On May 05, 2015
IyaIode:

What power did Atiku wield?

1 Like

Re: Prof. Osibanjo's Role as VP by Rawani: 2:42pm On May 05, 2015
IyaIode:

So Ngozi was our vice president in the last 6yrs.

We had a ghost worker for VP and zoologist for President, what were the options?

2 Likes

Re: Prof. Osibanjo's Role as VP by Nobody: 2:46pm On May 05, 2015
Sunnybobo3:

What power did Atiku wield?
Enough to make him relevant unlike Sambo

2 Likes

Re: Prof. Osibanjo's Role as VP by Nobody: 2:47pm On May 05, 2015
For active functionality and proper representation then Ideagbor has it, For maximum looting and doggedness then Atiku will take that one but for V.P title holder only, then Sambo go carry that one but as for Osibande sorry Osibanjo, Tinubu will decide how he will perform..

1 Like

Re: Prof. Osibanjo's Role as VP by Nobody: 2:47pm On May 05, 2015
Sunnybobo3:

Is this not the case everywhere else

1 Like

Re: Prof. Osibanjo's Role as VP by Sunnybobo3(m): 2:56pm On May 05, 2015
IyaIode:

Is this not the case everywhere else

I do not know, is it?
Re: Prof. Osibanjo's Role as VP by Rawani: 2:56pm On May 05, 2015
Mogidi:

Mr Rawani stop giving your self useless hope thinking the VP does jack shiitz, the VP is the official house boy to the president.

The only thing you and I have to gain from Professor Osibanjo as VP are his intellectual excellence and legal experience. If you are insinuating ethnic bias as I suspect, it would interest you to know I am neither Yoruba nor a southerner. Give Osibanjo a chance.

5 Likes

Re: Prof. Osibanjo's Role as VP by Mogidi: 3:05pm On May 05, 2015
Rawani:

The only thing you and I have to gain from Professor Osibanjo as VP are his intellectual excellence and legal experience. If you are insinuating ethnic bias as I suspect, it would interest you to know I am neither Yoruba nor a southerner. Give Osibanjo a chance.

Considering you're not from the SW, your rhetoric rings more hollow. Anyway am happy for the SW (if it makes them happy) for producing the official houseboy to the president.

2 Likes

Re: Prof. Osibanjo's Role as VP by HzRF(m): 3:06pm On May 05, 2015
VP is like 100k it has high fig but low value

Itz obj regime that atiku enjoy playing roles thanks to obj globe throttling
Jonathan was a bench warmer when he deputise Yar'Adua

Sambo was giving committee to head when it looks like he is not existing

Osinbajo will be useful tho cuz buahri can't cheat nature
But at the end VP are just lyk co-coach
Re: Prof. Osibanjo's Role as VP by HzRF(m): 3:09pm On May 05, 2015
Rawani:

Bros forget prepared speeches and materials

And talk is cheap
If talking can solve our problems
The kind of talk we indulge daily on NL would have turn Nigeria to heaven

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Prof. Osibanjo's Role as VP by HzRF(m): 3:10pm On May 05, 2015
Rawani:

Bros forget prepared speeches and materials

And talk is cheap even though na 40k/sec Empty-N dey deduct
If talking can solve our problems
The kind of talk we indulge daily on NL would have turn Nigeria to heaven

1 Like

Re: Prof. Osibanjo's Role as VP by ki02020(m): 3:11pm On May 05, 2015
Osinbajo will not be a push-over because he is an intellect that knows and that can proof what he is doing.....he's diffrent from other that are comfortable of bearing the tag of a VP without any major impact in goverment
Re: Prof. Osibanjo's Role as VP by Rawani: 3:12pm On May 05, 2015
Mogidi:

Considering you're not from the SW, your rhetoric rings more hollow. Anyway am happy for the SW (if it makes them happy) for producing the official houseboy to the president.

I didn't expect you would be one of those who allow ethnicity becloud their objectivity. Disregard the fact that I have the exact same rights to ponder over my vice president as the Ooni of Ife, have you considered the possibility of my other interests in the region? Come on.

1 Like

Re: Prof. Osibanjo's Role as VP by importexpert(m): 3:16pm On May 05, 2015
Nice one op

1 Like

Re: Prof. Osibanjo's Role as VP by Mogidi: 3:19pm On May 05, 2015
Rawani:

I didn't expect you would be one of those who allow ethnicity becloud their objectivity. Disregard the fact that I have the exact same rights to ponder over my vice president as the Ooni of Ife, have you considered the possibility of my other interests in the region? Come on.

You won't find a die-hard PDP supporter giving objective evaluation of the job of an APC VP, it was APC that set the precedent.
Re: Prof. Osibanjo's Role as VP by Rawani: 3:23pm On May 05, 2015
Mogidi:

You won't find a die-hard PDP supporter giving objective evaluation of the job of an APC VP, it was APC that set the precedent.

Thanks for the alert wink.

1 Like

Re: Prof. Osibanjo's Role as VP by Nobody: 3:33pm On May 05, 2015
#Godwin
Re: Prof. Osibanjo's Role as VP by NewNigeriaMind: 4:32pm On May 05, 2015
Mogidi:

Sorry there is no precedent here except for the case of Sambo who was a third class graduate foisted on us by pdp. The primary reason Ngozi became the coordinating minister of economy ( which she failed at woefully if I might add) was because both Jonathan and Sambo don't know the first thing about governance or economics.

People precedents always give a direction to who they will be in the future, take time to know the VP past achievements in the not too far past as commission for justice in Lagos. In fact, the whole Judicial reform in Lagos can be traced to the man.

Now name one thing Jonathan achieved as governor of bayelsa or Sambo as architect. I hope you get my drift... grin grin grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Prof. Osibanjo's Role as VP by WendellSimilin: 4:36pm On May 05, 2015
Mogidi:

pile of shit!
Re: Prof. Osibanjo's Role as VP by Blastos(m): 4:41pm On May 05, 2015
IyaIode:

Den tell me one significant move Atiku made wen he was VP or 4ever shut wat u use 4 feeding... The only VPs who had their say in Government as far as Nigeria is concerned are Tunde Idiagbon and Goodluck Jonathan. The 1st because he had a dumb boss and 2nd because he had a sick boss(R.I.P to the dead)
Re: Prof. Osibanjo's Role as VP by Nobody: 5:12pm On May 05, 2015
But if he is trusted by the president a lot of power could be delegated to him.

Rawani:
the relative power of the Nigerian vice president's office depends upon the duties delegated by the president.

Sunnybobo3:

1 Like

Re: Prof. Osibanjo's Role as VP by luvmijeje(f): 5:28pm On May 05, 2015
Mogidi:

Why are you taking panadol for someone headache? Did we(those from the southwest) complain to you? God no allow jealousy and bitterness kill you!

@post, OP, thanks for the education....... I never knew VP has constitutional role of heading an economic team.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Big Truth Newspaper Imo. / Buhari Summons Makinde, Fayemi, Other South West Governors Over ‘amotekun’ / Kanu Is Big, But I Never Knew How Big He Is Until Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.