Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,683 members, 7,827,534 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:09 PM

Read This Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka By A Nigerian Born Polish MP - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Read This Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka By A Nigerian Born Polish MP (2934 Views)

John Godson,Nigerian-Born Polish Legislator Visits His Hometown (Pics) / Photos : Namadi Sambo Hands Over Aguda House To Prof. Yemi Osinbajo / Apc's Reply To Prof Charles Soludo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Read This Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka By A Nigerian Born Polish MP by Ramnon2: 2:18pm On May 06, 2015
Read This Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka By A Nigerian Born Polish MP

Dear Prof. Wole Soyinka, It is with deep sadness that I read your remarks made during you lecture titled ‘Predicting Nigeria, Electoral Ironies’ at the Harvard University Hutchins Centre for African & African American Research, in Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA, where you referred to the Igbos as “greedy”. During your lecture you were alleged to have said: “The Igbos are probably the only group of Nigerians that you can predict with great accuracy whom they will vote for in an election, because they tend to put their votes where their stomachs take them; suffering as it were, from incurable money-mindedness, as they would stop at nothing in their quest for personal financial gain.” Your statement is not only divisive based on ignorant stereotyping, it also is also racist, and capable of of flaring up tribal conflicts amongst Nigerians. Such a statement from a respected statesman and educated nobel laureate can cause unprecedented havoc in the very delicate unity of our nation - Nigeria. It is very alarming to hear lately of anti-Igbo rhetoric from the Yoruba elite and especially from people of your intelligence and calibre. It is very sad and disheartening.

For us Nigerians in the diasporas- we cherish our fraternity and constantly strive hard to build our brotherhood not only as Nigerians but also as Africans. I am an Igbo, an elected member of the Polish Parliament. Many Nigerians in Poland, including Yorubas turn to me for help and support when they have problems. I treat them as my brothers and I am my brother's keeper. Your alleged statement, with all due respect, Professor Soyinka, is uninformed, infantile and stereotypical and is a heavy blow on Nigerian Unity. Every tribe or Nigerian nation has its perceived attributes- And yes, the Igbos, like the Jews, are industrious and entrepreneurial and this should be a source of national pride.

Wisdom is said to grow as we get older. It is therefore expected of you as an elderly statesman, Profesor Soyinka, that you will be a role model to the younger generation of Nigerians and indeed Africans. Many look up to you as an example to follow. It is therefore imperative that you show a good example by correcting the above mistake. And the only way you can make up for your mistake is to publicly apologize to the Igbos and to Nigerians for your unwise and tactless statement. May I also advice that you think twice before you make such blanket statements in future.

Thank you.
Yours sincerely, John Abraham Godson,
MP Chair, Parliamentary Group for Africa President, The African Instituteki

2 Likes

Re: Read This Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka By A Nigerian Born Polish MP by Ramnon2: 2:19pm On May 06, 2015
I hear that both Igbos and Yorubas in the UK recently contested elections into the British parliament and while three Igbos were elected, all the Yoruba contestants lost.

I guess there is no stomach infrastructure and crooked voting in the UK

Meanwhile, this Polish parliamentarian is an Umuahian- like myself.

Igbos rock

Yorubas will continue to envy and hate until they all drown in the Lagoon

Oba of LAGOS=Yoruwood actor=Dr. Abraham Ariyo=cultist Wole Soyinka

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Read This Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka By A Nigerian Born Polish MP by Nobody: 2:25pm On May 06, 2015
He brought cultism to our tertiary institution
He won a "nobel" award wif one novel less dan a 100 pages(lion and d jewel and vice versa)
So wadz so special abt dis man?
Guess we just luv his beards
Notin more nufin less

Say no to "change"
We nid transformation
I pray and hope we won't regret voting out transformation

2 Likes

Re: Read This Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka By A Nigerian Born Polish MP by malonephill(m): 2:29pm On May 06, 2015
Its such bad statement.....

But many igbo's are also form of doing these.

It not only left for yoruba's alone

Do me and i do man dey no vex
Re: Read This Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka By A Nigerian Born Polish MP by Adelaide2: 2:31pm On May 06, 2015
malonephill:
Its such bad statement.....

But many igbo's are also form of doing these.

It not only left for yoruba's alone

Do me and i do man dey no vex

Can you mention an Igbo man that has lambasted Yorubas as an ethnic group (not individual Yorubas) in the past?
Re: Read This Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka By A Nigerian Born Polish MP by Built2last: 2:31pm On May 06, 2015
There appears to be an invissible hand fanning ethnic hatred in Nigeria. We have forgotten Rwanda just few years ago, and Burundi is currently warming up for for another ethnic cleansing.

Conflageration is at our door if we dont watch it. The next ethnic crisis that will erupt in western Nigeria will be bloody if we dont check this hatred brewing in our hearts.

All tribes in Nigeria have their good sides, why dont we focus on the bright side and build a great nation.

I seriously feel for the Igbos for all the hating and bashing they have gotten lately. They seem not worried. Those of us from the middlebelt are deeply worried because. Nations dont break in a day. It starts like this. I have close friends of Igbo extraction. the guy managing my company is igbo and i am proud of him.

If Igbos are no longer welcome in the entity called Nigeria. I will support them to go and have their Biafra in peace.

Hating and bashing them and doing all you can to keep them defies logic.

What is alleged to be said by prof is uncalled.

Seun and co should be patriotic enough to avoid posting topics that will fan ethnic bashing and promote hate.

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Read This Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka By A Nigerian Born Polish MP by Adelaide2: 2:32pm On May 06, 2015
I hear that both Igbos and Yorubas in the UK recently contested elections into the British parliament and while three Igbos were elected, all the Yoruba contestants lost.

''Three Out Of Five Nigerians Win Parliamentary Seats In UK General Elections-NigeriaToday

For the first time ever, Nigerian-Britons have secured seats in the UK parliament. In the first serious attempt last Thursday, three emerged victorious in the UK’s toughest elections in more than three decades. Chuka Umunna (Labour), Helen Grant (Conservative) and Chi Onwurah (Labour) won their constituency seats while Kemi Adegoke (Conservative) and Abbey Akinoshun (Independent candidate) were unsuccessful.''

http://saharareporters.com/2010/05/09/three-out-five-nigerians-win-parliamentary-seats-uk-general-elections-nigeriatoday

2 Likes

Re: Read This Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka By A Nigerian Born Polish MP by Adelaide2: 2:35pm On May 06, 2015
Another Yoruba contested for a position in Canada and got only one vote: his own grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Read This Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka By A Nigerian Born Polish MP by lolababe331e: 2:37pm On May 06, 2015
See one of the morons Wole Soyinka was talking about. They won't even verify a report, instead they will rush to get their 5minutes of fame with their silly letters, hiss

4 Likes

Re: Read This Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka By A Nigerian Born Polish MP by tomakint: 2:42pm On May 06, 2015
Apologies to my Igbo friends in the house and beyond, going by the antecedents of Professor Wole Soyinka, he is not a known anti-Igbo crusader, however his comment on this occasion is not worth praising, perhaps old age is taking its toll on the literary icon. Indeed, some of us Yorubas are always in one unnecessary competition or the other with the Igbos while only few of us see as them as independent-minded, enterprising, hardworking, focused, visioneers, charismatic and loving buffs! Igbo Kwenu

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Read This Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka By A Nigerian Born Polish MP by Adelaide2: 2:43pm On May 06, 2015
lolababe331e:
See one of the morons Wole Soyinka was talking about. They won't even verify a report, instead they will rush to get their 5minutes of fame with their silly letters, hiss

It was reported by The Cable. Now guess who runs The Cable

Well, I am waiting for Taiwo George (the Reporter) or Simon Kolawole (publisher of The Cable), to reveal the original source of the quoted remarks.

Yoruba people are becoming desperately disgusting
Re: Read This Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka By A Nigerian Born Polish MP by Obijulius: 2:45pm On May 06, 2015
Wole Soyinka is another foolish Yoruba elder.

They have them in large quantities there.
Re: Read This Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka By A Nigerian Born Polish MP by AhmedMustapha(m): 2:45pm On May 06, 2015
The man said he didn't make that statement. There is no need for this
Re: Read This Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka By A Nigerian Born Polish MP by AgentOfAllah: 2:46pm On May 06, 2015

1 Like

Re: Read This Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka By A Nigerian Born Polish MP by Adelaide2: 2:48pm On May 06, 2015
AgentOfAllah:
OP
Be informed: https://www.nairaland.com/2297243/soyinka-denies-blasting-igbos-says

Well, I am waiting for Taiwo George (the Reporter) or Simon Kolawole (publisher of The Cable), to reveal the original source of the quoted remarks.

Re: Read This Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka By A Nigerian Born Polish MP by huptin(m): 2:50pm On May 06, 2015
This man is totally confused, you claim to have read Wole Soyinka's speech Where he was "ALLEGED".......... What a statement, in his bid to attach himself to anything that has the imprint of a nobel laurreate for cheap fame, he did not even bother to see that apparent contradiction in his statement.

Mr whatever (I don't even care to know your name) can you please tell us in a single sentence if you read Wole Soyinka's speech delivered at Harvard or you read the CABLE version. Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: Read This Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka By A Nigerian Born Polish MP by Ojiofor: 2:50pm On May 06, 2015
Adelaide2:

So the cable is owned by a yoruba man after all...those people are pathetic ..indeed.those loud mouths should learn to mind their business.
Re: Read This Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka By A Nigerian Born Polish MP by LuckyLadolce(m): 2:57pm On May 06, 2015
Not even bothered to read through.. its def trash.

1 Like

Re: Read This Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka By A Nigerian Born Polish MP by malonephill(m): 2:57pm On May 06, 2015
Adelaide2:

Can you mention an Igbo man that has lambasted Yorubas as an ethnic group (not individual Yorubas) in the past?
let's forget how prof wole soyinka was and who he is, its just because he's a well known person that's why the news came on.

Lot of thread has been opened here on NL saying all sort of things about yoruba's, those thread was later closed due to some words using on it.
I would have love to point to some of it
Re: Read This Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka By A Nigerian Born Polish MP by Adelaide2: 2:57pm On May 06, 2015
AhmedMustapha:
The man said he didn't make that statement. There is no need for this

Soyinka= Yoruba
Taiwo George = Yoruba
Simon Kolawole= Yoruba

Do you read the signs?
Re: Read This Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka By A Nigerian Born Polish MP by Adelaide2: 2:59pm On May 06, 2015
malonephill:
let's forget how prof wole soyinka was and who he is, its just because he's a well known person that's why the news came on.

Lot of thread has been opened here on NL saying all sort of things about yoruba's, those thread was later closed due to some words using on it.
I would have love to point to some of it

And there were no similar threads about Igbos?
BTW, those comment on Nairaland that you refer to were from by faceless anonymous people with pseudonyms, not real life people like Soyinka or Oba of Lagos or Abraham Ariyo among many others.
Re: Read This Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka By A Nigerian Born Polish MP by AhmedMustapha(m): 3:05pm On May 06, 2015
Adelaide2:

Soyinka= Yoruba
Taiwo George = Yoruba
Simon Kolawole= Yoruba

Do you read the signs?
The reporter has no proof that the man made that statement
Re: Read This Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka By A Nigerian Born Polish MP by Adelaide2: 3:15pm On May 06, 2015
AhmedMustapha:
The reporter has no proof that the man made that statement

But he is Yoruba and the News paper is also Yoruba, as are the CEO and editor. What is the Yoruba connection?
Re: Read This Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka By A Nigerian Born Polish MP by Nobody: 3:16pm On May 06, 2015
Built2last:
There appears to be an invissible hand fanning ethnic hatred in Nigeria. We have forgotten Rwanda just few years ago, and Burundi is currently warming up for for another ethnic cleansing.

Conflageration is at our door if we dont watch it. The next ethnic crisis that will erupt in western Nigeria will be bloody if we dont check this hatred brewing in our hearts.

All tribes in Nigeria have their good sides, why dont we focus on the bright side and build a great nation.

I seriously feel for the Igbos for all the hating and bashing they have gotten lately. They seem not worried. Those of us from the middlebelt are deeply worried because. Nations dont break in a day. It starts like this. I have close friends of Igbo extraction. the guy managing my company is igbo and i am proud of him.

If Igbos are no longer welcome in the entity called Nigeria. I will support them to go and have their Biafra in peace.

Seun and co should be patriotic enough to avoid posting topics that will fan ethnic bashing and promote hate.

God bless you. I have always said that we should focus on the things that unite us rather than dwelling on the things that separate us.

1 Like

Re: Read This Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka By A Nigerian Born Polish MP by malonephill(m): 3:29pm On May 06, 2015
Adelaide2:

And there were no similar threads about Igbos?
BTW, those comment on Nairaland that you refer to were from by faceless anonymous people with pseudonyms, not real life people like Soyinka or Oba of Lagos or Abraham Ariyo among many others.
why should someone sit somewhere anonymously saying such thing? everyone condemn the statement of OBA AKIOLU. But
let ask ourselves one important question, WHY IS
OBA AKIOLU ANGRY WITH IGBOS?
My answers are:
1. I WILL ELEVATE EZE NDIGBO TO THE STATUS OF
OBA OF LAGOS - JIMI AGBAJE.
2. IGBO WILL DETERMINE WHO RULES LAGOS-
IFEANYI UBAH
3. LAGOS IS NO MAN'S LAND.- IFEANYI UBAH
DURING TAN CAMPAIGN.
4. IGBO DEVELOPED AND CONTROL LAGOS- JIMI
AGBAJE DURING GEJ CAMPAIGN IN AKWA IBOM
5. WE MUST PRODUCE THE NEXT DEPUTY GOVERNOR
OF LAGOS- EZE NDIGBO
The QUESTIONS TO IGBOS,
1. CAN OBI OF ONITHSA ACCEPT ALL THE ABOVE
MENTIONED?
2. CAN EMIR OF KANO ACCEPT ....?
3. DO YOU HAVE ANY SINGLE TRIBE IN YOUR
CABINET IN THE EAST?
4. CAN ANY TRIBE CLAIM ONITHSA OR ABA TO BE NO
MAN,S LAND?
5. CAN OBI OF ONITHSA ACCEPT THE ELEVATION OF
SARKIN HAUSA IN ONITHSA TO OBI STATUS?

Bro! nobody can take such
I don't know about ariyo I wouldn't like to stress on that, and have you seen where soyinka denied making those speech?

We are all nigeria let's live together in peace

2 Likes

Re: Read This Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka By A Nigerian Born Polish MP by OrlandoOwoh(m): 3:29pm On May 06, 2015
tomakint:
Apologies to my Igbo friends in the house and beyond, going by the antecedents of Professor Wole Soyinka, he is not a known anti-Igbo crusader, however his comment on this occasion is not worth praising, perhaps old age is taking its toll on the literary icon. Indeed, some of us Yorubas are always in one unnecessary competition or the other with the Igbos while only few of us see as them as independent-minded, enterprising, hardworking, focused, visioneers, charismatic and loving buffs! Igbo Kwenu
Omo ale jati jati ni o. Igba wo ni won fi o je abenugan awon omo Yoruba?

1 Like

Re: Read This Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka By A Nigerian Born Polish MP by Adelaide2: 3:33pm On May 06, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

See how you Yoruba iddiots kill yourselves? Yoruba-owned The Cable sacrificing Soyinka for their selfish gains. Una go soon self implode.
Re: Read This Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka By A Nigerian Born Polish MP by Adelaide2: 3:36pm On May 06, 2015
malonephill:
why should someone sit somewhere anonymously saying such thing? everyone condemn the statement of OBA AKIOLU. But
let ask ourselves one important question, WHY IS
OBA AKIOLU ANGRY WITH IGBOS?
My answers are:
1. I WILL ELEVATE EZE NDIGBO TO THE STATUS OF
OBA OF LAGOS - JIMI AGBAJE.
2. IGBO WILL DETERMINE WHO RULES LAGOS-
IFEANYI UBAH
3. LAGOS IS NO MAN'S LAND.- IFEANYI UBAH
DURING TAN CAMPAIGN.
4. IGBO DEVELOPED AND CONTROL LAGOS- JIMI
AGBAJE DURING GEJ CAMPAIGN IN AKWA IBOM
5. WE MUST PRODUCE THE NEXT DEPUTY GOVERNOR
OF LAGOS- EZE NDIGBO
The QUESTIONS TO IGBOS,
1. CAN OBI OF ONITHSA ACCEPT ALL THE ABOVE
MENTIONED?
2. CAN EMIR OF KANO ACCEPT ....?
3. DO YOU HAVE ANY SINGLE TRIBE IN YOUR
CABINET IN THE EAST?
4. CAN ANY TRIBE CLAIM ONITHSA OR ABA TO BE NO
MAN,S LAND?
5. CAN OBI OF ONITHSA ACCEPT THE ELEVATION OF
SARKIN HAUSA IN ONITHSA TO OBI STATUS?

Bro! nobody can take such
I don't know about ariyo I wouldn't like to stress on that, and have you seen where soyinka denied making those speech?

We are all nigeria let's live together in peace

So these are your example of Igbos lambasting Yoruba as an ethnic group? Plus, I did not know Jimi Agbaje is an Igbo man
Re: Read This Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka By A Nigerian Born Polish MP by AgentOfAllah: 3:37pm On May 06, 2015
Adelaide2:

Wow! And more bigotry from someone evidently offended by the words attributed to Wole.

I refuse to even contemplate descending to your crass class. You're pathetic!!

1 Like

Re: Read This Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka By A Nigerian Born Polish MP by Chiaka(f): 3:41pm On May 06, 2015
Built2last:

Yeap you are right. All this hate speech is one reason also why nairaland is loosing advert slots.
See LindaIkeji blog (http://lindaikeji..com/) people keep advertising on her blog
because there are more productive information there and she manages it intuitively without instigating tribal hate or preference. Everywhere on linda blog is advert
and Nairaland has been on for longer....full of tribal and hate word wars!

1 Like

Re: Read This Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka By A Nigerian Born Polish MP by tomakint: 3:41pm On May 06, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

Omo eran jati jati ni e, a slowpoke with no common sense is who you are undecided if you are not a bastard you would have done well not to quote me.....oya change into your insurgent moniker.....bloody stinking coward!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Presidential And VP Salaries Announced / How N25bn Is Embezzled Daily Via Buhari’s TSA – Melaye By Joshua Amaugo / PHOTOS: Sultan Of Sokoto Commissions Kogi State Revenue House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.