Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,584 members, 7,837,209 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:59 PM

I Don't Believe The Problem With Nigeria Is Our Leaders - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Don't Believe The Problem With Nigeria Is Our Leaders (8711 Views)

I Don't Believe In Local Govt. Autonomy - LCDA Chairman / Why I Don't Believe He Is Dead (pic Inside) / Bankole - Our Leaders Love To Rule And Die In Office (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Don't Believe The Problem With Nigeria Is Our Leaders by dnex(m): 4:22pm On Feb 22, 2009
The problem with Nigeria is not bad leadership but bad followership. Imagine a nation like Nigeria with population of more than 100,000,000 people in the 1990s being harassed and kicked around by less than 100,000 military men. It's just sick. In most other countries, leaders are not transparent just because. The reason is that there's a VIGILANT populace willing to take action against it when necessary. There's a country where citizens are constitutionally allowed to bear arms and today most citizens of that country don't know why and Here in Nigeria however, there are only few freedom fighter who will be slaughtered and the rest cower in fear. Besides, the leaders come from within the populace it's. They're not imported from Mars. So it's not our leaders that are bad, it's the citizens who are ignorant, lazy, unserious, tribalist and sheepish.
Re: I Don't Believe The Problem With Nigeria Is Our Leaders by Kobojunkie: 4:34pm On Feb 22, 2009
dnex:

The problem with Nigeria is not bad leadership but bad followership. Imagine a nation like Nigeria with population of more than 100,000,000 people in the 1990s being harassed and kicked around by less than 100,000 military men. It's just sick. In most other countries, leaders are not transparent just because. The reason is that there's a VIGILANT populace willing to take action against it when necessary. There's a country where citizens are constitutionally allowed to bear arms and today most citizens of that country don't know why and Here in Nigeria however, there are only few freedom fighter who will be slaughtered and the rest cower in fear. Besides, the leaders come from within the populace it's. They're not imported from Mars. So it's not our leaders that are bad, it's the citizens who are ignorant, lazy, unserious, tribalist and sheepish.

Abi oo!!!
Re: I Don't Believe The Problem With Nigeria Is Our Leaders by beystwin: 4:54pm On Feb 22, 2009
I believe that 60% of the blame lies with our leaders, and 40% lies with the public. There is no such thing as a “good people”. Every human being is potentially programmed to be “bad”. The only thing that keeps us on track are the laws implemented, which act as a deterrent. No matter what race you are or what country you are from, we all have a "bad" disposition. Nigerian people commit crimes because the country they live in does not reinforce the correct laws. Western “role models” such as Norway and Sweden aren't almost crime-free because the people are somehow better – these countries merely enforce their laws more efficiently and thus deter their people from committing crime. Also, their poverty levels are very low, which reduces the “need” to commit crimes. In Nigeria’s case, this is where good leaders come in. All we need are good leaders to ensure that the correct laws are enforced. This includes having a functional justice system which ensures that people who commit crimes are arrested, receive a fair trial and are subsequently locked up. There should be no such thing as “untouchable” individuals who don’t go to jail due to their status/wealth, as this is what leads to the break down of a society: in the absence of justice reigns anarchy.
Nigerian citizens should be enlightened or made aware of the fact that they need to get rid of their leaders if they are not performing. This is where Nigerian people fail. You can’t blame them for not being law-abiding in our present dysfunctional society, but you can blame them for not ensuring that they have good leaders.
The question is, how do you find good leaders in a dishonest society? It is important to emphasise that leaders who commit crimes should do the right thing and resign, but you don't see this happening in Nigeria. People should insist that these dishonest leaders resign, instead of allowing them to remain in office.
It is also better for a sick leader to resign, rather than dragging the country down with him. grin
Re: I Don't Believe The Problem With Nigeria Is Our Leaders by TouaregV8(m): 4:57pm On Feb 22, 2009
MY FELLOW NIGERIANS, OPEN YOUR EYES, SMELL THE STENCH AND LISTEN TO THE CRIES IN OUR BELOVED NATION

SELFLESSNESS, VISION, INTEGRITY, HONESTY, COMPETENCE AND EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE WILL BE A STARTING POINT FOR OUR FUTURE; LEADERS AND FOLLOWERS ALIKE.

THE QUESTION ARE - ARE YOU UP TO THE CHALLENGE?  CAN YOU SHAPE OUR FUTURE? DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO CHANGE OUR COUNTRY?
Re: I Don't Believe The Problem With Nigeria Is Our Leaders by Afam4eva(m): 5:45pm On Feb 22, 2009
What annoys me most about Nigerians is the fact that they are not willing to fight to make nigeria a better place.
Re: I Don't Believe The Problem With Nigeria Is Our Leaders by seyibrown(f): 6:39pm On Feb 22, 2009
For a better Nigeria, we all need to change our attitude!
Re: I Don't Believe The Problem With Nigeria Is Our Leaders by Becomrrich: 7:21pm On Feb 22, 2009
Remove the yorubas and bendle area is the solution.
Re: I Don't Believe The Problem With Nigeria Is Our Leaders by ow11(m): 7:35pm On Feb 22, 2009
It is just so amazing how Nigerians blame corruption for their woes and turn around to praise fraudsters for being smart. Till Nigerians begin to stand for the truth we will continue to be in this mess.

Nigerians are the architects of their problems. However, a charismatic and honest leader can drive a people to begin to believe in themselves and can help to start off a sweeping change of attitude amongst Nigerians.
Re: I Don't Believe The Problem With Nigeria Is Our Leaders by Okijajuju1(m): 8:07pm On Feb 22, 2009
@ OW11

Oboy wither!! How p-town??
Just missing home!! grin

@ Topic

The problem with Nigeria is not the leaders but our way of life. OKIJA_JUJUTM
Re: I Don't Believe The Problem With Nigeria Is Our Leaders by dnex(m): 8:24pm On Feb 22, 2009
@chidichris,

In true democracy, power lies in the hands of the people. The executives cannot take action unless ratified by the votes of legislators and the votes of legislators is decided by referendums in their various constituencies. That's in True Democracy O! Most people look up at the USA when they think of true democracy but at a time when a USA president was having less than 30% approval rating, he was still smiling in office meanwhile in Japan that would not be possible. And it is a very wrong statement when we continue to say "X" president is ruling us, or is holding on to power. He never had power. The power remains with the people. The president is just a manager, a mediator and not a power wielder. The word president comes from "to preside" which is like to moderate. He's just a person we trust to act fairly in decision making relating to the entire polity.
Re: I Don't Believe The Problem With Nigeria Is Our Leaders by chidichris(m): 11:32pm On Feb 22, 2009

Dnex,
i still want to rate ur opinion 80% in the idealistic world. are u living in nigeria or a different country? do you know about dele giwa? do you know about ken saro wiwa? do you know about Bola ige? do u have any knowledge of odi massacre as was directed by obj? what are the consequences of all the above named and unremembered late heros?

In true democracy, power lies in the hands of the people. The executives cannot take action unless ratified by the votes of legislators and the votes of legislators is decided by referendums in their various constituencies. That's in True Democracy O! Most people look up at the USA when they think of true democracy but at a time when a USA president was having less than 30% approval rating, he was still smiling in office meanwhile in Japan that would not be possible. And it is a very wrong statement when we continue to say "X" president is ruling us, or is holding on to power. He never had power. The power remains with the people. The president is just a manager, a mediator and not a power wielder. The word president comes from "to preside" which is like to moderate. He's just a person we trust to act fairly in decision making relating to the entire polity.

Dnex,
another good piece in the mars or any other idealistic environment. u said in true democracy power lies in the hands of the people, is nigeria a democratic country? if u choose to say yes, is it the true democracy u are talking about? is the power in our hands?
did u vote in the people u call leaders? do they account for u? do u know who is representing ur constituency and does he have time to listen to u?
if u have read govt text books or any write up on political science, i have done same but i must inform u that they are relevant in the classrooms.
almost everyone here accepted that the problem lies in the hands of the people so what are u waiting for? since there is an agreement, i think u can all stand up against armed soldiers and i promise u the nation will give u a befitting burial in a mass grave for treason and fellony.
if i may ask, who among u is not a hypocrite? all u can do is hide under non existing names and say one thing and do another.

i asked a question before and i want to ask again, what happened to the people of ghana who suffered in the 80s and the people of ghana of the present day? did the people change or did the govt change? if u are short of the answer, there is simply a change is govt which brings in a change in policies hence the anticipated results.

do u think nigeria has any law? obj banned importation of textile and furnitures yet all our govt offices are furnished with foriegn furniture and our police uniform was imported. who is decieving who? banning of goods can onlyh work when govt decides to live by example and make provissions for local products at cheaper rates. what do u expect from the masses when imported products are cheaper than our locally manufactured goods bcs generators burn diesels from morning till night hence high cost of production.

I believe that 60% of the blame lies with our leaders, and 40% lies with the public. There is no such thing as a “good people”. Every human being is potentially programmed to be “bad”. The only thing that keeps us on track are the laws implemented, which act as a deterrent. No matter what race you are or what country you are from, we all have a "bad" disposition. Nigerian people commit crimes because the country they live in does not reinforce the correct laws. Western “role models” such as Norway and Sweden aren't almost crime-free because the people are somehow better – these countries merely enforce their laws more efficiently and thus deter their people from committing crime. Also, their poverty levels are very low, which reduces the “need” to commit crimes. In Nigeria’s case, this is where good leaders come in. All we need are good leaders to ensure that the correct laws are enforced. This includes having a functional justice system which ensures that people who commit crimes are arrested, receive a fair trial and are subsequently locked up. There should be no such thing as “untouchable” individuals who don’t go to jail due to their status/wealth, as this is what leads to the break down of a society: in the absence of justice reigns anarchy.
Nigerian citizens should be enlightened or made aware of the fact that they need to get rid of their leaders if they are not performing. This is where Nigerian people fail. You can’t blame them for not being law-abiding in our present dysfunctional society, but you can blame them for not ensuring that they have good leaders.
The question is, how do you find good leaders in a dishonest society? It is important to emphasise that leaders who commit crimes should do the right thing and resign, but you don't see this happening in Nigeria. People should insist that these dishonest leaders resign, instead of allowing them to remain in office.
It is also better for a sick leader to resign, rather than dragging the country down with him.

beystwin,
at last i have someone who could reason the same way with me. we all witnessed obj's policy on telecommunication and today even old women in the villages can speak directly with their children abroad. today we can see how many people with on our roads who are self employed and are owners of their own businesses just with N4000, one will be able to get a phone and sim, buy units and then start up a call centre. that is a plus.

govt made such opportunity available and our people are responding to that. give nigerians light tomorrow and u will see millions settling down as business owners. do u know with steady power supply, N5,000 have started a barbing salon?

God can always see us through. he will give us that moses soon to take us to our promise land.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Don't Believe The Problem With Nigeria Is Our Leaders by Frizy(m): 12:08am On Feb 23, 2009
IF I AM PRESIDENT TOMORROW

My Policy/Rules:
1) I am an infrastructure fanatic, and would do anything possible to change or overhaul any infrastructure that is bad or useless

2) I do not not give a second chance to people found in corrupt practices, the result may either be relegating and crucifying the victim or sending such a one on an indefinite exile.

3) When I say something that may be the reverse of other policy makers( that I know of course don't have the good heart for Nigeria) and they oppose it, I reserve myself the right to change them. An example is the popular privatization of local industries, I do not want industries to be privitizated but instead urge my cabinet to look into recapitialization of the industries-- if policy makers say otherwise, they may be sacked!

4) Am used to settling for the best, in terms of quality, any industry found wanting for producing goods that do not meet western industrial standard in order to maximize profit may either be put to liquidation or charged with serious sanctions that may warrant a change in its administrative policies.

5) I am also a fanatic when it comes to human welfarism, basic needs such as water, food and clothing for the poor must be distributed from government imposed taxes on corporations or the super rich.

6) I would not tolerate any propagandist information the may sued the public opinion against me, any found wanting would be imprisoned. Therefore, there is a limitation to the free of expression.

7) The last but not the least, un-productive people, this time I mean, the folks of nollywood and the likes of Edris AbdulKareem who spend time entertaining the people instead of educating them on "how to build a developed nation" would be sent to reform homes that they may add to the society's prospect for development or stopped from promoting the youth culture. I want a nation of thinkers and workers not sleepers!
Re: I Don't Believe The Problem With Nigeria Is Our Leaders by davidif: 4:53am On Feb 23, 2009
WHEN A TEAM IS DOING POORLY, WHO DO YOU BLAME? THE COACH OF COURSE. THE PLAYERS FOLLOW THERE LEADER.
Re: I Don't Believe The Problem With Nigeria Is Our Leaders by chidichris(m): 9:22am On Feb 23, 2009
real madrid was not doing well last time and the coach was fired and replaced by ramos while the same player remains. now ramos is making different playing policies and this same group of players are getting the needed results as we saw them crush real betis 6-1 on saturday. chelsea had the same case under scolari and he was fired and guud is using the same group of players to get a better result.
leaders are like pilots who directs the movement of the plane.
Re: I Don't Believe The Problem With Nigeria Is Our Leaders by princekevo(m): 11:14am On Feb 23, 2009
@ poster
Lol, Is that not funny when people start denying their responsibility, Denying the oat they made b4 assuming an office, In as much as the masses are the contributors to Nigerian problem i dont think the Nigerian government should be an exception, Infact they should share 70 percent of the blame if not more,
B4 putting the blame on the masses you should laid down for us the qualities of good leadership and the qualities of good followers.I think from there we can be able to get the statistics of where the blame should go and not jst putting it on the masses, Mind you the masses are not to lead or govern themselves, The responsibility was placed on some group of people, It will be foolish placing a blame on someone else for a responsibility place in your hands.
You gave some examples up there of indiscipline from the side of the Mases but it take as disciplined leader to inject discipline to its followers, Lets call a sped a sped, Lets not forget the days of Idiagbon, Those that said leadership by example never made a mistake, Moreover you will never drink any good water from a corrupt source.
Re: I Don't Believe The Problem With Nigeria Is Our Leaders by cvibe: 12:30pm On Feb 23, 2009
afam4eva,

If you lead the fight, others will follow.
Re: I Don't Believe The Problem With Nigeria Is Our Leaders by dnex(m): 12:49pm On Feb 23, 2009
@chidichris,

I never told you that Nigeria was operating a True Democracy. What I'm trying to Tell you is that Nigeria is operating a democracy and in a democracy, the power is in the hands of the people. Nobody gives it to them, the demand it because it's theirs. But if they as you all have refused to demand it, the selected few are using it to oppress you.

Thank you for showing yourself as a standard example of the cowardice we're talking about. You have already promised us certain death if we try to deliver power back in your hands from a minority group. Do you actually believe that 80,000 Nigerian foot soldiers would conquer 139,920,000 citizens, or you're just too scared of being among the few who might die? How many died in Indonesia?
Re: I Don't Believe The Problem With Nigeria Is Our Leaders by chukxy44(m): 1:56pm On Feb 23, 2009
I wud have loved to agree with the poster but I belive we should be more pratical and realist by striking a balance. The truth is that the Leaders have set a very bad precident for us, That is why the few vacancies u see been advertised are seeking for people with 3-5 years experience, and only those with connections gets the better Jobs, the choice course, infact the good part of life. But I share in his opion of the contribution of the fellowers to making Nigeria what it is today(I.e A place were evil and coruption strives), If we can be sincere to our self in not cutinging coners just to have undue advantage, if we would not contuie to flood our work and schools places with our relatives on personal grounds( I.e with or without meeting basic requirements). I strongly belive Nigeria would be a better place for all. I belive the solution lies both ways as well, the Leaders seting positve standards and we in our own little way having the fear of God in us and also try to reimbeb moral ethics and social justice in our little way. Bottem line is hands must be on desk if sanity must be restored to Nigeria cose i belive it has cease to exist.
Re: I Don't Believe The Problem With Nigeria Is Our Leaders by Kobojunkie: 3:08pm On Feb 23, 2009
dnex:

@chidichris,

I never told you that Nigeria was operating a True Democracy. What I'm trying to Tell you is that Nigeria is operating a democracy and[b] in a democracy, the power is in the hands of the people. Nobody gives it to them, they demand it because it's theirs.[/b] But if they as you all have refused to demand it, the selected few are using it to oppress you.

Thank you for showing yourself as a standard example of the cowardice we're talking about. You have already promised us certain death if we try to deliver power back in your hands from a minority group. Do you actually believe that 80,000 Nigerian foot soldiers would conquer 139,920,000 citizens, or you're just too scared of being among the few who might die? How many died in Indonesia?
EXACTLY!! That is the problem with Nigerians. TOO afraid to step up to take back power but willing to sit back and blame the few( about a couple thousand) men, each with one head, and from the same Nigeria, for the woes of over 140 million. COWARDICE and nothing more!
Re: I Don't Believe The Problem With Nigeria Is Our Leaders by pivot4sure: 4:27pm On Feb 23, 2009
Be that as it may, i still strongly believe the problem with nigeria is anchored basically on our leader;which i tagged:"epilleptic and conscience absent leadrship".We all know the nation is corrupt,but we are not the first corrupt nation in the world, ;afterall Ghana was more corrupt than nigeria before now,but a decision by a man as regard the nation's leaders eradication the story of Ghana has changed forever. I believe nigeria will be better ;if only emphasis is directed to the nation leadership cadre.whatever is the problem of nigeria can be solved,if only the leaders are ready embrace change, Another local example is that of lagos state,edo state and their extended family which leadership change has boosted developent ,not neglecting their effort towards frustrating corruption to an extent.so dont need to be convinced by a spiritualist to draw this conclusion."niger leaders dey 4uck up,dem need change their mentality towards political offices".The essence is to serve and to use in enriching themselves at the detriment of the nation's citizenry.
Re: I Don't Believe The Problem With Nigeria Is Our Leaders by Skywalker5(m): 4:29pm On Feb 23, 2009
The problem with Nigeria is not our leaders angry angry angry angry angry

Its our DNA cheesy grin cheesy grin

Abinibi yato si ablility grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: I Don't Believe The Problem With Nigeria Is Our Leaders by londoner: 7:27pm On Feb 23, 2009
I have to agree with the OP here, the problem today is not simply the leaders. Its actually become a cultural problem. Leaders may have began the bad example, but the people have bought into the notion of dishonesty, money/power above all, and lets face it corruption as their way of operating.

Its like a person who has cancer of the finger, which spreads to the rest of the body, then continues to say that he only has cancer of the finger. That may have been where it began, but the situation is to the point that merely cutting off the finger will make no difference.

There is little difference between some of these politicians and the average citizen. If the Nigerian government were really the problem, if lack of electricity, bribery were the problem IN REALITY, we wouldn't be seeing Nigerians who live in democratic countries  CHOOSNG TO exhibit the same  negative attributes at all cost and against the dominant culture of that country.

Which NEPA will you blame in London?
Which corrupt goernement official will you blame in New York?
Which bad road network will you blame in Singapore?

There is a difference between an excuse and a reason.

Its about time all Nigerians over the age of eighteen took responsibility for the wrong and rights they CHOOSE. The average Nigerian has CHOSEN to take the culture first exhibited by corrupt leaders on as their own, they did NOT reject it.

Even if the most honest transparent, humble, patriotic president came along tomorrow, he would not resemble the people he has come to govern. That is the bitter and sad truth.
Re: I Don't Believe The Problem With Nigeria Is Our Leaders by ow11(m): 8:07pm On Feb 23, 2009
Okija_juju:

@ OW11

Oboy wither!! How p-town??
Just missing home!! grin

You're not missing much, the atmosphere of fear and perpetual traffic jams makes me remember the early 90s.

where you dey?
Re: I Don't Believe The Problem With Nigeria Is Our Leaders by jamace(m): 8:18pm On Feb 23, 2009
Whenever I read this assertion, I feel sad. Real sad. Like we have discussed on other threads on similar topic, I still maintain that our leaders are our problems because they are the ones that have lead us to where we are today. I am saying this based on the definition of a leader. Further to the definition of a leader is the need for us to note that we have both retired and serving leaders. The influence of retired leaders in the making of the serving leaders cannot be over-emphasised. In Nigeria, the retired leaders determine who become a leader. True or false? Lets not decieve ourselves, it is 99.99% true that ex-leaders choose our so-called leaders for us. Some body said the  people choose leaders in Nigeria. I can only suspect that the person is an idealist and far from the Nigeria political reality. Thankgod that the present administration's stance on rule of law is yielding fruits and until rule of law is  imbibed by our political system, the people can not be said to have electedthe  leaders. Therefore, our leaders are the problem of Nigeria.
Re: I Don't Believe The Problem With Nigeria Is Our Leaders by kokoye(m): 8:55pm On Feb 23, 2009
True. We're all responsible in this situation.

But then a good leader's job is to steer us back in the right direction. And I believe a leader can make things right if he wants to, regardless of all opposition.

Take electricity for example, if Yaradua not only fires the corrupt ministers / contractors, but puts them in the regular jail we know . . then MAKES SURE no govt official's house / office uses a generator, I tell you things will change. Anyone encouraging corruption, throw them in kirikiri . .even family members (cos family members are the ones that really foster corruption!

If a naija leader MAKES SURE that all ministers / governors / senators get medical treatment ONLY in their localities and constituencies, the medical situation of nija will be improved. This is not rocket science.

If he ENSURES that officals 'kids school in nigerian govt universities, education will be better in my country.

Abi, what happened when Idiagbon was there? even people in my unkwown village dare not throw any litter on the streets on pee wrecklessly.

It only takes a leader who means business. But then Nigeria is a unique place, with all its uselss family cultures. I strongly believe that only someone with NO family ties in that country can make things work. Maybe we should be colonized again by the oyinbos. True, they might take away money but I bet they will make things work way better than they are now.

See how family ties messes things up in Naija: Most of these are not true but this shows you how family ties can hinder the fight against corruption.

OBASANJO put yaradua there

YARADUA is a director in Femi Otedola's company

Babangida sent yaradua to school

yaradua's daughter is gongola's first lady

atiku gave goodluck jonathan his first job.

Chukwumereje was homeless when he became a minister

Farida Waziri saw how ribadu was treated because he stepped on toes.

I remember this yoruba line 'omo wa ni. e je o se : he is our child, give him the position even if he's not qualified

If things are this way, how can anyone jail the other for corruption, when the accused is a family member.
Re: I Don't Believe The Problem With Nigeria Is Our Leaders by EZEB1(m): 1:26am On Feb 24, 2009
I THINK OUR LEADERS ARE TO BE HELD RESPONSIBLE PLEASE READ THIS EXCERPT'

OIL has made us billions and fuelled our economic stability, but oil has also become the bane of our existence. For some it is a curse that has caused poverty and corruption; for others it is an essential source of untold wealth and power. But as the gap between the rich and poor countries continues to expand, it is clear that intellectual capital and technology rule the world, and that natural resources such as oil, gold and diamonds are no longer the primary determinants of wealth.
Surprisingly, nations with few natural resources demonstrates greater economic growth rates than OPEC Countries. Japan’s economic growth, driven by technological superiority, outplaces that of Saudi Arabia; South Korea is growing faster than oil-rich Nigeria; and Taiwan’s economy has moved well beyond that of oil-rich Venezuela. The United States and Norway are also rich in oil, yet their staggering economic growth comes from intellectual capital.
In reality, it is not money but intellectual capital that drives prosperity. More important, perhaps, is the reality that poverty is driven and sustained by a lack of intellectual capital. The intimate relationship between intellectual capital and economic growth is as old as humanity itself, and is well illustrated by this parable from ancient Babylon (modern-day Iraq).
A man asked his children: If you had a choice between the clay of wisdom or a bag of gold, which would you choose?
The bag of gold! The bag of gold! The naïve children cried, not realizing that wisdom had the potential to earn them many more bags of gold in the future.
Seven thousand years later, Iraq – the cradle of civilization – has its own private bag of gold as it sits perched atop the world’s third largest oil reserves. Meanwhile, Isreal, tucked away in the hostile terrain of a barren desert, has the clay of wisdom-the weightless wealth of intellectual capital embodied in the collective mind of its people.
The striking economic gap that persists between rich and poor nations has increased sevenfold over the past century to what is now an all-time high. The accumulation of intellectual capital by rich nations has helped broaden this gap because it has enabled them to control technology and collect hidden taxes from less affluent nations. For instance, Nigeria pays a 40-percent royalty tax on its Petroleum revenues to foreign oil companies that are ripping out its family jewels- the huge store of wealth in its oil fields. These oilfields started forming when prehistoric, dog-sized humans – our common ancestor with the apes walked African grasslands on four legs.
It’s a shocking reality, but the deep oil reserves laid down by Mother Nature millions of years ago and nurtured through the millennia in Africa have been whittled away within decades. And, for the dubious privilege of surrendering its natural resources forever, Nigeria is required to pay half its petroleum revenue in the form of royalties to the rich kids on the global block, the United States and the Netherlands. That oilfield has been exchanged for a bowl of porridge, and the black gold that should serve the underserved in Nigeria is helping wealthy Westerners get wealthier.
Today, half the world’s population – three billion people – live on an average of $500 a year. In contrast, Bill Gates earns $500 every second. By controlling technology and taxing computer users, Gates has become wealthier than each of the 70 poorest nations on earth and using his financial might has conquered more territory than Genghis Khan, Julius Caesar and Alexander the Great combined.
While Bill Gates is the new millennium’s Prince of Technology, he is by no means the first to have taken on the huge potential offered by the realm of technology. The Romans used roads and military technology to expand their empire. And, for centuries, Britain ruled a quarter of the Earth due to its unparalleled ability to command maritime technology and conquer the Seven Seas.
Britain undoubtedly established itself as the world’s first superpower through its rapid and ruthless colonial expansion program. The British raised the Union jack over Canada and Australia, India and Hong Kong, Egypt and Kenya, and countless other countries – even the United States. The Union Jack cast its shadow in every global time zone, giving rise to the saying, The sun never sets on the British empire, a fact that was cold comfort to the colonized nations.
In the same way, the United States has embraced its technological supremacy, both offensively, to build its own global empire without a physical presence in any of its colonies. The sole remaining superpower is at the forefront of every major technological advancement, which it has used to become deeply embedded in three quarters of the globe. The US has accomplished a virtual economic colonization manifesting its presence throughout the globe by harnessing the power of technology and capitalizing on its clay of wisdom.
Africa’s inability to realize its potential and embrace technology has left it at the mercy of the West. The time has come for Africa to seize the day and resist the efforts of America and others to leave their imprint and plunder its natural resources.
Numerous examples throughout history support the idea that technology can be sued as a tool of oppression. And there’s little doubt that America’s technological advancement has allowed it to exploit natural resources around the world. This is particularly evident in Africa, where the US is exploiting oilfields beneath the pristine rainforest – and being rewarded with a 40 – percent tax at the expense of the African people. This lends credence to history’s assertion that those who control technology oppress those who do not, eventually enslaving them and, finally, wielding power around the globe.
Re: I Don't Believe The Problem With Nigeria Is Our Leaders by deco2come: 5:28am On Feb 24, 2009
Bole-Kaja:

The problem with Nigeria are the Ibos!

They should be shipped off to Darfur or Somalia where they belong and leave the rest of the country to restructure itself. Their prescence will only lead us to being a 4th world country!

Hitler did it with germany to expunge the jews thats why germany is a G-8 nation and Isreal is not. The earlier we flush out these set people, the better!

I think you should first expunge your brain. I believe it is out-dated. It always vex me when other ethnics say that the Ibos are the problem or that Ibos love money. If the Yorubas, Hausas, don't like money, why is it that our country is still in a ruin. Since 1960, how many Ibo president do we have? Abacha, Obasanjo, Babangida, and others, are they Ibo?If they are humane as you claimed, why did they embezzled the countries economy.They ripped Nigeria off and you are there still pointing hands at others. I hate racists. Please stop it.

With the type of brain you possess, I believe you are already in the fourth world.
Re: I Don't Believe The Problem With Nigeria Is Our Leaders by chidichris(m): 8:19am On Feb 24, 2009
The problem with Nigeria are the Ibos!

They should be shipped off to Darfur or Somalia where they belong and leave the rest of the country to restructure itself. Their prescence will only lead us to being a 4th world country!

Hitler did it with germany to expunge the jews thats why germany is a G-8 nation and Isreal is not. The earlier we flush out these set people, the better!

I think you should first expunge your brain. I believe it is out-dated. It always vex me when other ethnics say that the Ibos are the problem or that Ibos love money. If the Yorubas, Hausas, don't like money, why is it that our country is still in a ruin. Since 1960, how many Ibo president do we have? Abacha, Obasanjo, Babangida, and others, are they Ibo?If they are humane as you claimed, why did they embezzled the countries economy.They ripped Nigeria off and you are there still pointing hands at others. I hate racists. Please stop it.

With the type of brain you possess, I believe you are already in the fourth world.

Deco2come,
Why? can't u see no one replied to that yaba mental client. some are short of opinion but they must contribute because others are contributing. that man is in his own world let him be please.

@topic,
our leaders will even accept this blame and that is why in every election u will see posters with such headlines as; change 2003, change 99, power to the people, better life to nigeria, steady power supply within six months, employement to all even unborn babies, truning nigeria to african japan come 2009, say no to corruption, we will make heaven out of hell.
all these promises that never come to be are signs of failures. they are signs of deciets. they are signs of betrayals of trust. and all these come together to confirm that our so called leaders are liars and pretenders. their do or die approach to what is surposed to be a service oriented business make the whole scenario a suspicious one.
the end justifies the means has become the slogan and watchword . if nigeria is an aircraft, yar adua is the pilot and other leaders are the cabin crew while nigerians are all passengers so the direction of the air craft will not be determined by the passengers rather the pilot.
in the then roman empire, leaders are not allowed to get married or to be close to their families to give them total concentration and that is why till date roman catholic clergymen are not allowed to get married what more a mentally,physically or emotionally challenged person(s) been in control of a nation.
we are all living witnesses to where clinton left the plane carrying americans and we are all seeing the direction of zimbabwian plane as been piloted by mugabe.
the masses will only react to the actions of the leaders.
ojukwu led the biafrans to war and they had to react to the war drum - simple.
obj led us to gsm and we are all reacting to gsm till date as well as his other areas. if yar adua will take us to steady power supply, we will not reject that. so if through our prayers, God sends a good leader who will lead us to all the basic things of life, as good nigerians, we will all begin to sing the new songs.
good leadership will involve providing environments for law breakers.
in south africa, a vice presient once went on trial for just us$500 or its equvelent and that makes u wonder how a citizen will be treated for a semilar crime.
the issue here is that nigerians are hungry and a hungry man is an angry man but we are helpless.
Re: I Don't Believe The Problem With Nigeria Is Our Leaders by Arogunmasa(m): 6:45pm On Feb 24, 2009
@chidichris

Arogunmasa,
two friends went into the bush and saw a sleeping lion, one said they shld run for their lives and one said he read in a book that lions are harmless when ppl pretend to be sleeping. the other one accepted having read the book but was afraid the lion itself might not have come across the book.

ur quotations and references fail to the solutions to our problems and not the causes of our problems.

this thread is about who the problem is and not what the masses are surpose to do.
if we have accepted the fact that our leaders have failed on their side or if we have accepted that the leaders are the cause of our problem only then shall we seek solution.

i will like u here to first of all identify the problem. is it the masses or the leaders before talking about solution. it is not possible to solve an unknown problem.

again, if there is any solution one is suggesting, i will still refer the person to the saying; leadership by example. if u want us to die to bring a change, show us the way to die.

all i know is, nigerians are not like the jihadist leaders who will preach to others to die via suicide bombings while they run away from death.

remember; leadership by example.

Arogunmasa says

When a man sells his birthright for a pot of porridge what do u expect?
The problem with Nigeria is followership. U can’t keep on blaming the leaders if they don’t know their left from right it our duty as citizens to tell them so.

Have u ever wonder why they keep on coming back to the electorate whenever there is election around the corner? They need votes,  but sadly most us don’t realize what we’ve got in our hands. They are ready to receive N1000 to cast their votes.

There is strength in number if we can form alliance of common purpose we can wrestle these people to submission. Talking about jihadists, there is a non-violent means of change though I doubt if that can work in Nigeria. America where u pple are going to today fought for their freedom from a tyrant (I think king George of England).

It is duty of the citizens to hold government accountable, failure to do so means u are part of the conspiracy.Nigerians should rouse themselves from their slumber and take control of their country by refusing to accept bad leadership

What we should be trying to do if to re-condition the mind of average Nigerians who have all reigned themselves to fate.

@ Kobojunkie
omo I dey enjoy ur view on this issue.

Black man you are on your own- Steve Biko
Re: I Don't Believe The Problem With Nigeria Is Our Leaders by jamace(m): 6:05am On Feb 25, 2009
WHEN A TEAM IS DOING POORLY, WHO DO YOU BLAME? THE COACH OF COURSE. THE PLAYERS FOLLOW THERE LEADER.
True talk. But corruption can not even allow the club owners to do more than complain on the sideline because the past sports administrators are sharing the loots with the coaches. grin grin
Re: I Don't Believe The Problem With Nigeria Is Our Leaders by chidichris(m): 10:07am On Feb 25, 2009
if we use nairaland as a case study for this arguement, we will see nairaland as another nigeria where there are laws but the laws are not effective.
it is against the law here to have double id but many do yet the leaders of the forum are not active in implimenting the laws they have made.
there are moderators in all departments who are not moderating. assuming the moderator here is working, it is his responsibility to gide people on every issue. he will be in a position to let oposing sides know who is bringing up more points or who is going against the rules. many bcs of lack of ideas will always resort to insults with no one to direct them. the major difference between human beings and other animals is leadership and when that is lost, we will have no choice than to go back to the lower animal kingdom where we belong and where everyone will do as he likes.

if i may ask, why is it that our leaders keep on changing national team coaches? simply because our leaders believe the coaches are not doing very well. the coaches are responsible for who plays where and how. so at the end of the match if your ideas did not fetch the anticipated results, it means failure and the back doors will be the next alternative.

the major problem of our leaders is the inability to quit even when it is obvious that they have overstayed their welcome.
abacha knew he was not a favourite yet he wanted to be a life president, obasanjo knew his time was over even with the laws which he swore to upheld yet he insisted on third term. borrishade knew he was not doing well yet he was moving from one ministerial appointment to the other.

i will like to use this opportunity to call on owners/organisers of this nairaland forum to make the laws here effective as ineffective laws are as good as no laws. ur abilities in handling the affairs of this forum can put u in a better position in the society where things are done in the right way. your intentions are good and the works here are very relevant as a watchdog to the group who have sworn to die in/with power but you have to find ways of improving the standards and thereby making this forum a voice of relevance in nigeria.
Re: I Don't Believe The Problem With Nigeria Is Our Leaders by Nobody: 10:52am On Feb 25, 2009
I don’t think this topic should even be contested. As much as we’ll like to pass the bulk to someone else, the truth still remains that the problem with this country lies with us, the citizens.

I still wonder why people go into filling stations and buy fuel for more that 65 naira a litre. If people start claiming their rights, things won’t be as bad as they are. I went into a filling station to buy fuel, they posted 65 naira on the board but when I got there, they said it was 70 naira. I was about paying for the fuel when I decided to try something out. I started making a fuss, I raised my voice, demanded to see the manager and bluntly refused to pay 70 naira. I went ahead to claim I was married to a lawyer and that I will sue them and claim exploitation. The funniest part was that I started it as a game, but when I saw the look of fear in their eyes, I strengthened my voice.

Lo and behold, the manager came out and personally apologized to me and ordered them to collect 65 from me. And to think I’ve been paying 70/75 naira all these while

So I think things can only change if we take that initaitive to make them change.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Jonathan Visits Flood-stricken Areas / Roads Are No Longer Death Traps - SURE-P / FG To Generate N16bn From E-tickets For Train Services

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 174
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.