Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,430 members, 7,812,277 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:04 AM

10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires (153858 Views)

The 8 Most Popular Indigenous Nigerian Wedding Attires And Bridal Looks / Igbos In Spain Attend Their Village Meeting In Native Attires (Photo) / 6 Lovely Indigenous Nigerian Wedding Attires And Bridal Looks (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by TheEqualizer: 8:14pm On May 09, 2015
Phut:

You contradict yourself. Something can't be of African origin, exclusively, if the fabric is borrowed

Most fabrics are borrowed, what makes it yours (own them) is how you use them to create styles that define you. Ghanaian Kente is Chinese fabric but they owned it based on the style they created with it which is Ghanaian. You can make the same argument for all European clothes because cotton isn't European.

The styles aren't African. Do you get my point now? Shirt is European, same for t-shirt, blazer, and suit.
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Ihuomadinihu: 8:15pm On May 09, 2015
TheEqualizer:

Hahaha! Ndi ara.
I probably write better Ibo than you.
I wu nu onye ara. That's your favourite swear word!
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by TheEqualizer: 8:16pm On May 09, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

I wu nu onye ara. That's your favourite swear word!

Okay, nma can we call a truce?
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Phut(f): 8:17pm On May 09, 2015
cutietokunbo:

Check out Igbo and Northern traditional weddings in recent time and the reality of my submission ll instantly hit you straight up; from women headgears to Yoruba Women BUBA.

I am glad you wrote "women headgear" Most women in Africa have traditionally worn scarf or head covering. The Igbo's call it Ichafu and I am sure most other ethnicities have their name for it. Most of the scarfs that are currently worn are from an imported fabric that is stiff and sort of shiny. So you can stop claiming now.
P.S. This tradition of wearing head covering was so prevalent all over Africa that it was brought to the America's and the Carribean Islands by slaves

2 Likes

Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Ihuomadinihu: 8:18pm On May 09, 2015
TheEqualizer:

Most fabrics are borrowed, what makes it yours (own them) is how you use them to create styles that define you. Ghanaian Kente is Chinese fabric but they owned it based on the style they created with it which is Ghanaian. You can make the same argument for all European clothes because cotton isn't European.

The style aren't African. Do you get my point now? Shirt is European, same for t-shirt, blazer, and suit.
Still the same thing,you are still contradicting yourself.
We are not talking about blazer and suits . The crux of the matter is what is unAfrican about that Igbo attire?

1 Like

Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by TheEqualizer: 8:24pm On May 09, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Still the same thing,you are still contradicting yourself.
We are not talking about blazer and suits . The crux of the matter is what is unAfrican about that Igbo attire?

Okay, since you insist, what is African about shirt?

Is shirt, especially the one worn by the Ibo groom, an African style?
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Phut(f): 8:28pm On May 09, 2015
TheEqualizer:

The styles aren't African. Do you get my point now? Shirt is European, same for t-shirt, blazer, and suit.
No I do not get you. Fashion is ever evolving and not static.
Changi is a style created by us. To follow your logic, the upper body covering worn by Yoruba men can be dismissed as a shirt, as well.

BTW, what is the upper body covering of Yoruba men, called? Abada/agbada is worn traditionally by Northerners as well as people from a lot of West African countries (mostly Muslim) such as Senegal. So where can we say is the source?

1 Like

Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Phut(f): 8:29pm On May 09, 2015
TheEqualizer:

Let me too ask you my own question. What is the upper body covering of Yoruba men called and what is its source?

1 Like

Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Ihuomadinihu: 8:31pm On May 09, 2015
TheEqualizer:

Phut has already explained that. Let me ask you some questions. Is Choli(the short blouse worn by indian women), indian? Is the use of traditional veil originally a Hausa attire? As much as you don't want to hear it,fashion has evolved.
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Ujupsy: 8:32pm On May 09, 2015
the Igbo (Nigeria) couple are just too beautiful
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by TheEqualizer: 8:34pm On May 09, 2015
Phut:

No I do not get you. Fashion is ever evolving and not static.
Changi is a style created by us. To follow your logic, the upper body covering worn by Yoruba men can be dismissed as a shirt, as well.

BTW, what is the upper body covering of Yoruba men, called? Abada/agbada is worn traditionally by Northerners as well as people from a lot of West African countries (mostly Muslim) such as Senegal. So where can we say is the source?

What has Yoruba got to do with me? Pose the question to Yoruba.

I never mentioned Ibo but since y'all have turned it to Ibo, I will ask again: is shirt an Ibo style? Whatever name you call it is irrelevant, that is a shirt and it is European.
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by TheEqualizer: 8:37pm On May 09, 2015
Phut:

Let me too ask you my own question. What is the upper body covering of Yoruba men called and what is its source?

I don't know and I don't think I'm interested in knowing.

Can we stick to the topic? Whatever grouse y'all have with Yoruba is your prerogative. My post was based on the thread and I haven't edited it. It is still on the first page.
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Phut(f): 8:43pm On May 09, 2015
theenii:
what i know definitely is i have never seen a non Ibo bride wearing a traditional igbo wedding attires ,go check on weddings blogs on facebook and Ig you will see many non Yorubas rocking the iro and buba and aso oke for their wedding, btw,no one can mix up the aso oke with any other fabric,aso oke it's simply unique and colourful.Yoruba traditional wedding attires is simply the best even non Nigerians rocks it cool

To add:
That you haven't seen doesn't mean it isn't there. You just have to open your eyes.
Someone earlier on this thread implied that women's head gear is Yoruba. Meanwhile most ethnic groups in Africa wear headgear and have names for it. Igbo's call it Ichafu. I think the problem is claiming as exclusively, yours, what isn't. If none Nigerians wear something that appears similar to Iro and buba, it probably evolved independently and they have their name(s) for it. Just ask them what it is called and educate yourself, instead of claiming blindly

1 Like

Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by visapayless: 8:44pm On May 09, 2015
God bless you my broda.
shikaan:
lmao... one love bruv.
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Phut(f): 8:45pm On May 09, 2015
TheEqualizer:

I don't know and I don't think I'm interested in knowing.

Can we stick to the topic? Whatever grouse y'all have with Yoruba is your prerogative. My post was based on the thread and I haven't edited it. It is still on the first page.
Well it is very much on topic. I would call what they wear a shirt as well. Which totally obliterates your argument as to what is Unafrican.
Also i daresay that the Agbada's Yoruba's wear a lot of,was borrowed. Which takes us back to the claim that fashion is not static

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Ihuomadinihu: 8:46pm On May 09, 2015
TheEqualizer:

What has Yoruba got to do with me? Pose the question to Yoruba.

I never mentioned Ibo but since y'all have turned it to Ibo, I will ask again: is shirt an Ibo style? Whatever name you call it is irrelevant, that is a shirt and it is European.
You are obviously not Igbo. So who are you and where are you from. That will go a long way in solving this case.
The Shirt or whatever you choose to call it,has evolved just like other Nigerian attires. When has a shirt suddenly become your reason for dismissing people's attire?
I can give you a rundown of world clothings that evolved and still retained it's original identity.
You stick to one definition of African clothes! You are getting confused.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by somegirl1: 8:54pm On May 09, 2015
cutietokunbo:

Rubbish from Head to Bottom except Morocco. Some people tried but ended up with woman wrapper. Jeez!!!! Scottish are even trying to invent some better in 21st century while some people still sticked to cave combinations. Surprisingly, Somalians have equally dished woman wrapper to trousers.

WHAT TRADITIONAL WEDDING BEATS YORUBA TRADITIONAL WEDDING IN THE WORLD? NONE.

I RESPECT AND LOVE EDO TRADITIONAL WEDDING

Each to their own.
I personally find buba and iro too plain. Doesn't allow for versatility, every woman wears the same style. But some look nice only when the colour combination is nice.
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by somegirl1: 9:11pm On May 09, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Hahaha,iberibe umuaka!
You made a statement and in your little mind,you felt other attires were not African enough.

Nwanne gba onye ahu nkiti

1 Like

Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by somegirl1: 9:15pm On May 09, 2015
TheEqualizer:

The onus is on you to prove that the attire is unAfrican.

1 Like

Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by cutietokunbo: 9:16pm On May 09, 2015
Phut:

It is pure ignorance to ascribe Tying wrappers over one shoulder to Scots alone. What would you call the Greek Toga?

Igbo's tie wrapper over one shoulder, Ghanians do it and I am sure there are others who do it as well. And all of this, they evolved independently.

How many ways are there to even tie wrapper? It's nonsensical to assert that that people couldn't figure this out and were waiting for the Scots

I doff my hat for you and I accepted your submission in its totality. Why? Cos you addressed all your points without throwing any insults.

However, I almost attacked you on sighting your first paragraph wink wink

peace out
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by cutietokunbo: 9:17pm On May 09, 2015
somegirl1:

Each to their own.
I personally find buba and iro too plain. Doesn't allow for versatility, every woman wears the same style. But some look nice only when the colour combination is nice.

Respect your submission Ma'.
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by cutietokunbo: 9:19pm On May 09, 2015
Phut:

I am glad you wrote "women headgear" Most women in Africa have traditionally worn scarf or head covering. The Igbo's call it Ichafu and I am sure most other ethnicities have their name for it. Most of the scarfs that are currently worn are from an imported fabric that is stiff and sort of shiny. So you can stop claiming now.
P.S. This tradition of wearing head covering was so prevalent all over Africa that it was brought to the America's and the Carribean Islands by slaves

What a submission!!!

Respect your opinion.
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by LeSudAfricaine: 10:20pm On May 09, 2015
Naughtysite:

Please do the Zulu eat people after killing them ?
Utterly dumb question

1 Like

Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by TheEqualizer: 11:11pm On May 09, 2015
somegirl1:

The onus is on you to prove that the attire is unAfrican.

How is the onus on me?

The onus should be on you to prove beyond reasonable doubt that European shirt is African.

Convince me. undecided
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by TheEqualizer: 11:13pm On May 09, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

You are obviously not Igbo. So who are you and where are you from. That will go a long way in solving this case.
The Shirt or whatever you choose to call it,has evolved just like other Nigerian attires. When has a shirt suddenly become your reason for dismissing people's attire?
I can give you a rundown of world clothings that evolved and still retained it's original identity.
You stick to one definition of African clothes! You are getting confused.

I neither said I was Ibo nor any ethnicity for that matter.

Can you define what an African attire is?

Would you call Ijaw/Urhobo/Itsekiri hats African hats?
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by TheEqualizer: 11:14pm On May 09, 2015
Phut:

Well it is very much on topic. I would call what they wear a shirt as well. Which totally obliterates your argument as to what is Unafrican.
Also i daresay that the Agbada's Yoruba's wear a lot of,was borrowed. Which takes us back to the claim that fashion is not static

Now you agree with me that it's a shirt.

Can you expound on what makes an European shirt African?
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by TheEqualizer: 11:15pm On May 09, 2015
somegirl1:

Nwanne gba onye ahu nkiti

If I were to call you nkita or ezi, how would you feel? Ndo. undecided
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by semitunde: 11:39pm On May 09, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

You are just one of those people that quote because they have no other alternative. Igbo might be a recent creation to you,that doesn't mean that ibo is right. Ibo is a creation of foreigners that couldn't prononce igbo correctly. It is against the phonlogical and linguistic rules of Igbo language. We now have a standard Otography which contains /gb/, it is better you respect that and write it correctly. Before we had ibo,we had Heebo and Eboe, today the world recognises Igbo as the official nomenclature for an ethnic group in old Eastern Nigeria. All the sochlastic materials were written before Igbo language,alphabet and otorgraphy was studied and approved.
I don't know how people will feel if i decide to write Yoruba as Yorob-a or America as Amirika,cos of pronouciation differences.
What prejudice? Everyone on Nairaland,knows that yoruba write ibo instead of spelling it correctly. You are only engaging in interference. If you weren't insecure and unreasonable,you wouldn't have made a mockery of what you erroneously perceive as undevelopment.
Secondly,if you go back to my earlier comments,i limited my views on only ''IGBO ClOTHING''. You are the one extending it to other attires,so you might want to respond to your questions. Your description and references is too far from my subject matter cos am not discussing the Western attires!
You made mention of Igbos running around naked ,apparently you felt they were the only ones walking naked at that time. Obviously naked igbos is something to make fun of according to you.
Only an unmannered and insecure person would do that on a public forum.

The emboldened statement, one which you had repeated previously, has knocked off the brilliace
of your post and condemned it to bland hubris. Well, that's besides the fact that you judiciously post wrong information as truths.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by semitunde: 11:48pm On May 09, 2015
Phut:

Is his argument about fashion being borrowed or that the fashion they have now is not African.

I can see your link in this because you claim that what is borrowed becomes part of the said fashion and therefore African; but then there lies the connundrum.

The Yoruba attires do not have any link to other races outside africa (except maybe those taken there by slaves from same africa); while a quick look at some of the other attires from other countries reveal some parts definitely from outside of Africa.

1 Like

Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Phut(f): 12:25am On May 10, 2015
TheEqualizer:

Now you agree with me that it's a shirt.

Can you expound on what makes an European shirt African?

Nope. I am not agreeing with you that Changi is a shirt. I am letting you know that if you describe Changi as a shirt, then by your line of reasoning, the upper body wear put on by Yoruba men should be described as a shirt as well
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Ihuomadinihu: 12:28am On May 10, 2015
TheEqualizer:

I neither said I was Ibo nor any ethnicity for that matter.

Can you define what an African attire is?

Would you call Ijaw/Urhobo/Itsekiri hats African hats?
You have not answered my question yet. What is your definition of an African attire? If it has been acquired or has evolved into an ethnic identity,will you still call it African?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures / Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife / Post Pics Of Fulani Girls!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.