Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,437 members, 7,812,300 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:22 AM

10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires (153860 Views)

The 8 Most Popular Indigenous Nigerian Wedding Attires And Bridal Looks / Igbos In Spain Attend Their Village Meeting In Native Attires (Photo) / 6 Lovely Indigenous Nigerian Wedding Attires And Bridal Looks (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Nobody: 6:59pm On May 09, 2015
visapayless:
Y grin grin grin grin ;Des but the husband looks like indianmi
lmao... one love bruv.
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Ihuomadinihu: 7:09pm On May 09, 2015
TheEqualizer:

I don't know if you have amnesia or dementia (I doubt it's dementia because you still sound relatively young), however, I'll post the excerpt from your post that I responded to. You said: "Igbo is 100 percent African https://www.nairaland.com/2302279/10-beautiful-african-traditional-wedding/3#33572896 " and that's in relation to the attire, not the ethnicity.

Perhaps I shouldn't have suggested the time Ibos never had a shirt on by implying nak3dness, to draw a parallel between when people have been wearing shirts, in relation to when Ibos started wearing them, just to show it isn't African. However, that doesn't negate my point since that's what you're trying to debase the discourse to, while shifting from the main argument.

So let get back to the basics: is shirt/blazer/suit/t-shirt African?

Well, I'm not speaking in an 'official'/'formal' capacity here and I believe I've a right to spell it however I want to since 'Ibo' was widely used before the modern creation 'Igbo' became the official word. And the Nigerian constitution recognises 'Ibo' not 'Igbo'.

I reiterate: if people don't have a problem Afrika/Kongo/Bini, why are you different? And what are you insecure about?

Okay, based on your logic and your argument on this thread: Achebe was Yoruba when he used 'Ibo' and Ibo when he used 'Igbo' in his books, yes?

I'd wager that 'Ibo' looks appealing than 'Igbo' since an English/American/Australian/Canadian would find it difficult to enunciate the use of two consonants 'g' and 'b' together.
You throw words around like a child,honestly. These words 'mentally unstable,insecurity, prejudice,dementia are uncalled for in a simple arguement and discussion. That shows your low level of maturity and intellect. Using these words randomly does not strenghten nor validate your comments and opinion.
As for igbo and shirts,i already explained it. In the marriage setting,it is part of the attire. During dances and other rituals,men can go without any shirts. I don't see how you are an authority on what is African and what is not African.
I corrected something that has been entrenched deep inside the brains of Nigeria. There is a difference between igbo and ibo,not just in spelling but in pronouciation. Igbo people have already corrected that and want to be addressed as Igbo not ibo. How does it equate insecurity? Do you address yourself based on what people erroneously call you or how you want to be addressed?
You think Ibo sounds better cos Europeans say so? Well then Yurba,Yoloba and Yoro-ba sounds better as well.
You are the demented soul here. Only kids will call people naked when they know nothing about those people.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by onila(f): 7:12pm On May 09, 2015
Yorubas are the best

4 Likes

Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Ihuomadinihu: 7:15pm On May 09, 2015
TheEqualizer:
Apart from Ghana, Ivory Coast, and Zulu; the rest aren't 100% African.

When did shirts, T-shirt, and suit become African clothes?

Mostly unattractive. undecided
What makes an attire African? You can start from there. What makes an attire Indian or Asian? Let's have your answers.:/. Define African attire?

2 Likes

Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by TheEqualizer: 7:25pm On May 09, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

You throw words around like a child,honestly. These words 'mentally unstable,insecurity, prejudice,dementia are uncalled for a simple arguement and discussion. That shows your level of maturity and intellect. Using these words randomly does not strenghten nor validate your comments and opinion.
As for igbo and shirts,i already explained it. In the marriage setting,it is part of the attire. During dances and other rituals,men can go without any shirts. I don't see how you are an authority on what is African and what is not African.
I corrected something that has been entrenched deep inside the brains of Nigeria. There is a difference between igbo and ibo,not just in spelling but in pronouciation. Igbo people have already corrected that and what to be addressed as Igbo not ibo. How does it equate insecurity? Do you address yourself based on what people erroneously call you or how you want to be addressed?
You think Ibo sounds better cos Europeans say so? Well then Yurba,Yoloba and Yoro-ba sounds better as well.
You are the demented soul here. Only kids will call people naked when they no nothing about those people.

Ha! It seems your problems are worse than I initially thought. Every time you throw subtle snide attacks with accusations and I assert the prognosis of the symptoms you are exhibiting, you always come back with more accusations. Seriously, are you alright mentally? You honestly don't sound like you are and you might need medical help before it becomes acute.

I don't have time for a macabre dance with you. Just stay on the topic and answer the simple questions I asked you coherently like a sane mind would have done, without jumping all over the place, saying a lot, without actually saying anything.

You have been spelling. 'Yoruba' as 'Yor0ba' on this thread but has any Yoruba poster questioned you? However/whichever (which you have been doing on this thread) way you want to spell 'Yoruba' is none of my business if those affected don't have a problem with it. So why are you insecure about my use of 'ibo'(which is more appropriate)?

Fix up, you are acting like a broken record.

4 Likes

Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Phut(f): 7:28pm On May 09, 2015
theenii:
Oh well,i prefer the Yoruba traditional wedding attires most especially the aso oke,very gorgeous and beautiful even non Yorubas rocks it aswell

Igbo's have akwa ete, which some people mistakenly think is aso oke. The town of Akwete in Abia state gets its name from that as they are master weavers of akwa ete and have been for hundreds of years

1 Like

Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Phut(f): 7:35pm On May 09, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

You throw words around like a child,honestly. These words 'mentally unstable,insecurity, prejudice,dementia are uncalled for in a simple arguement and discussion. That shows your low level of maturity and intellect. Using these words randomly does not strenghten nor validate your comments and opinion.
I corrected something that has been entrenched deep inside the brains of Nigeria. There is a difference between igbo and ibo,not just in spelling but in pronouciation. Igbo people have already corrected that and want to be addressed as Igbo not ibo. How does it equate insecurity? Do you address yourself based on what people erroneously call you or how you want to be addressed?
You are the demented soul here. Only kids will call people naked when they know nothing about those people.

What they are calling shirt is called changi (pronounced changee) among the Ugwuta people of Imo State. I believe Kalabari call it otoobo. It is ignorant to wave it away as a "shirt", after all any covering of the body can be deemed a shirt, even the upper body covering worn by Yoruba's.
It is to be noted that changi does not have a collar, is usually mid thigh length or longer and usually the sleeves end just below the elbow as opposed to wrist length

1 Like

Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Ihuomadinihu: 7:36pm On May 09, 2015
TheEqualizer:

Ha! It seems your problems are worse than I initially thought. Every time you throw subtle snide attacks with accusations and I assert the prognosis of the symptoms you are exhibiting, you always come back with more accusations. Seriously, are you alright mentally? You honestly don't sound like you are and you might need medical help before it becomes acute.

I don't have time for a macabre dance with you. Just stay on the topic and answer the simple questions I asked you coherently like a sane mind would have done, without jumping all over the place, saying a lot, without actually saying anything.

You have been spelling. 'Yoruba' as 'Yoruba' on this thread but has any Yoruba poster questioned you? However/whichever (which you have been doing on this thread) way you want to spell 'Yoruba' is none of my business if those affected don't have a problem with it. So why are you insecure about my use of 'ibo'(which is more appropriate)?

Fix up, you are acting like a broken record.
You asked if shirts is originally igbo. I gave you an answer right? You asked about other European wears and i said it doesn't concern me snice it's not part of Igbo traditional attire. What else do you need? Your combulated sentences and words means nothing to me,neither is a testament of intellect on this thread. Snice you want to throw words around,you can go on.
As far as am concerned your sense of understanding and comprehension is too childish and poor. You should think twice before making references to things you have no knowlegde of.
Get a grip on yourself,your aggressive manner of using foul words during conversations reeks of mental instability.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by TheEqualizer: 7:39pm On May 09, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

What makes an attire African? You can start from there. What makes an attire Indian or Asian? Let's have your answers.:/. Define African attire?

Attractive to me has to be of African origin exclusively even if the fabric is borrowed and it has to be something I can wear.
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Ihuomadinihu: 7:39pm On May 09, 2015
Phut:

What they are calling shirt is called changi (pronounced changee) among the Ugwuta people of Imo State. I believe Kalabari call it otoobo. It is ignorant to wave it away as a "shirt", after all any covering of the body can be deemed a shirt, even the upper body covering worn by Yoruba's.
It is to be noted that changi does not have a collar, is usually mid thigh length or longer and usually the sleeves end just below the elbow as opposed to wrist length
Thanks.
Pls refer and repost to the TheEqualizer. He/she is calling it an European shirt. Am even wondering if Europeans now dress like Igbos.
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Ihuomadinihu: 7:42pm On May 09, 2015
TheEqualizer:

Attractive to me has to be of African origin exclusively even if the fabric is borrowed and it has to be something I can wear.

You asked a question and submitted the answers!
Then what exactly was your discrepancy about the Igbo attire in the picture?
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Phut(f): 7:43pm On May 09, 2015
cutietokunbo:

Lies from pit of hell. It has been part of Scottish cultural values which was brought to Nigeria during their missionary sojourn.

It is pure ignorance to ascribe Tying wrappers over one shoulder to Scots alone. What would you call the Greek Toga?

Igbo's tie wrapper over one shoulder, Ghanians do it and I am sure there are others who do it as well. And all of this, they evolved independently.

How many ways are there to even tie wrapper? It's nonsensical to assert that that people couldn't figure this out and were waiting for the Scots

4 Likes

Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by TheEqualizer: 7:44pm On May 09, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

You asked if shirts is originally igbo. I gave you an answer right? You asked about other European wears and i said it doesn't concern me snice it's not part of Igbo traditional attire. What else do you need? Your combulated sentences and words means nothing to me,neither is a testament of intellect on this thread. Snice you want to throw words around,you can go on.
As far as am concerned your sense of understanding and comprehension is too childish and poor. You should think twice before making references to things you have no knowlegde of.
Get a grip on yourself,your aggressive manner of using foul words during conversations reeks of mental instability.

Back to where you left off in your last reply. I asked you if shirts are of African origin and you replied by implying that the Yoruba also walk nak3d and you have pictures. How is that an answer to my question?

I never even said anything about Ibo but you forced it on me.

Also, I don't think I have suggested anything about my intellect on the thread. And I haven't said anything about being a wordsmith, why are you shifting to that? Are you also insecure about how/what I write?
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Phut(f): 7:49pm On May 09, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Tying wrappers like Indians i.e over one shoulder has always been a part of African culture esp Igbo. It didn't come to us from india. That is for people that believe Africans were naked before the coming of the white man.

100% agree

1 Like

Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by TheEqualizer: 7:50pm On May 09, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

You asked a question and submitted the answers!
Then what exactly was your discrepancy about the Igbo attire in the picture?

But did I say anything about Ibo attire in my post? I mentioned shirt/t-shirt/blazer/suit. The Somali groom is wearing a t-shirt. The Ethiopian groom has shirt and suit on. And Ugandan is wearing a blazer.

So how you know I was talking about ibo?
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Ihuomadinihu: 7:52pm On May 09, 2015
TheEqualizer:

Back to where you left off in your last reply. I asked you if shirts are of African origin and you replied by implying that the Yoruba also walk nak3d and you have pictures. How is that an answer to my question?

I never even said anything about Ibo but you forced it on me.

Also, I don't think I have suggested anything about my intellect on the thread. And I haven't said anything about being a wordsmith, why are you shifting to that? Are you also insecure about how/what I write?
Can you stop twisting your words? Everyone can see where you stated that Igbos were walking around naked and if suits and ties were of African origin.
I corrected your mistakes about labelling and mocking igbos cos i have seen other naked nigerians.
I already said you use derogatory words anyhow. Can't you carry on a diakogue without defamation of character. To the best of my knowlegde,this is a sign of immaturity. Why are you this insecure?

3 Likes

Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by TheEqualizer: 7:56pm On May 09, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Can you stop twisting your words? Everyone can see where you stated that Igbos were walking around naked and if suits and ties were of African origin.
I corrected your mistakes about labelling and mocking igbos cos i have seen other naked nigerians.
I already said you use derogatory words anyhow. Can't you carry on a diakogue without defamation of character. To the best of my knowlegde,this is a sign of immaturity. Why are you this insecure?

My post is still there on the first page (you quoted it and I can't edit your posted). Where in the post did I say Ibo?

You mentioned Ibo and I replied.

More prognosis(amnesia and mental instability already diagnosed): glaucoma. cheesy
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Ihuomadinihu: 7:56pm On May 09, 2015
TheEqualizer:

But did I say anything about Ibo attire in my post? I mentioned shirt/t-shirt/blazer/suit. The Somali groom is wearing a t-shirt. The Ethiopian groom has shirt and suit on. And Ugandan is wearing a blazer.

So how you know I was talking about ibo?
You categorically said that apart from Ivory coast and Ghana. The rest(Nigerian Igbo inclusive is unAfrican). That was where i came in and i had to tell you that Igbo attire is very African. Anybody is free to correct you and your assumption. Why are you insecure about corrections and criticisms?
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Ihuomadinihu: 7:59pm On May 09, 2015
TheEqualizer:

My post is still there on the first page (you quoted it and I can't edit your posted). Where in the post did I say Ibo?

You mentioned Ibo and I replied.

More prognosis(amnesia and mental instability already diagnosed): glaucoma. cheesy

Hahaha,iberibe umuaka!
You made a statement and in your little mind,you felt other attires were not African enough.
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Phut(f): 8:00pm On May 09, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Akwaocha,Akwete and so many others were here before any Scottish man you are taking about. Don't let ancient pictures deceive you.
Besides,nudity is akin to man irrespective of geographical location. It doesn't signify development. Most of the world's greatest civilization cherished little or no clothes from Mespotamia to Indus valley to Egypt to Rome sef!

That is correct. The use of Akwaocha (a specially woven white cloth) and akwa ete has waned a little. Here is hoping for a full scale, revival

1 Like

Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by TheEqualizer: 8:03pm On May 09, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

You categorically said that apart from Ivory coast and Ghana. The rest(Nigerian Igbo inclusive is unAfrican). That was where i came in and i had to tell you that Igbo attire is very African. Anybody is free to correct you and your assumption. Why are you insecure about corrections and criticisms?

Bring your A game when you are engaging me.

I said the rest aren't 100% African but the items I suggested aren't exclusive to one group. So why the need to get defensive when the Ibo isn't the only one wearing a shirt?
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by TheEqualizer: 8:05pm On May 09, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Hahaha,iberibe umuaka!
You made a statement and in your little mind,you felt other attires were not African enough.

Onye apali. Anumanu.

1 Like

Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Ihuomadinihu: 8:06pm On May 09, 2015
Phut:

That is correct. The use of Akwaocha (a specially woven white cloth) and akwa ete has waned a little. Here is hoping for a full scale, revival
Yes. I hope they make a full come back along with our Uli, anklets,arm cuff, etc.

1 Like

Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Phut(f): 8:06pm On May 09, 2015
TheEqualizer:

You contradict yourself. Something can't be of African origin, exclusively, if the fabric is borrowed
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Ihuomadinihu: 8:08pm On May 09, 2015
TheEqualizer:

Onye apali. Anumanu.

Unfortunately,you don't know anything about the Igbo you are writing. I've taught you well today. Feel free to ask questions concerning Igbos. Don't allow in ignorance!
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by theenii: 8:08pm On May 09, 2015
Phut:

Igbo's have akwa ete, which some people mistakenly think is aso oke. The town of Akwete in Abia state gets its name from that as they are master weavers of akwa ete and have been for hundreds of years
what i know definitely is i have never seen a non Ibo bride wearing a traditional igbo wedding attires ,go check on weddings blogs on facebook and Ig you will see many non Yorubas rocking the iro and buba and aso oke for their wedding, btw,no one can mix up the aso oke with any other fabric,aso oke it's simply unique and colourful.Yoruba traditional wedding attires is simply the best even non Nigerians rocks it cool

5 Likes

Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Rosemary216(f): 8:08pm On May 09, 2015
Idrismusty97:
They do! Especially on weddings.
ok ooo... I have heard u, bt i havent seen..
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Phut(f): 8:09pm On May 09, 2015
TheEqualizer:

Bring your A game when you are engaging me.

I said the rest aren't 100% African but the items I suggested aren't exclusive to one group. So why the need to get defensive when the Ibo isn't the only one wearing a shirt?

What the Igbo guy is wearing isn't a shirt, in the sense of a western shirt. It is called Changi and has clear sufferers cars from a Western shirt ( as I pointed out in an earlier post)

1 Like

Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by TheEqualizer: 8:10pm On May 09, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Unfortunately,you don't know anything about the Igbo you are writing. I've taught you well today. Feel free to ask questions concerning Igbos. Don't allow in ignorance!

Hahaha! Ndi ara.

I probably write better Ibo than you.
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Phut(f): 8:10pm On May 09, 2015
theenii:
what i know definitely is i have never seen a non Ibo bride wearing a traditional igbo wedding attires ,go check on weddings blogs on facebook and Ig you will see many non Yorubas rocking the iro and buba and aso oke for their wedding, btw,no one can mix up the aso oke with any other fabric,aso oke it's simply unique and colourful.Yoruba traditional wedding attires is simply the best even non Nigerians rocks it cool

It's a good thing that you don't mix it up. When you see Akwete, credit it for what it is.
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Ihuomadinihu: 8:13pm On May 09, 2015
TheEqualizer:
Apart from Ghana, Ivory Coast, and Zulu; the rest aren't 100% African.

When did shirts, T-shirt, and suit become African clothes?

Mostly unattractive. undecided
The rest aren't 100% African. In Igbo's case how? This is the bone of contention.
You have no idea what is African.
You don't know what has evolved.
You don't know what has been borrowed.
Ndoo!
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by shaboti: 8:14pm On May 09, 2015
TheEqualizer:

Hahaha! Ndi ara.

I probably write better Ibo than you.
No you dont.
'Ndi ara' is used when referrin to more than one person, so are u calling her a 'mad people'?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures / Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife / Post Pics Of Fulani Girls!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.