Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,007 members, 7,838,526 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 02:31 AM

Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? (8298 Views)

Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? / Learn How To Speak Hausa Here / Is It Rude To Shake With Your Left Hand? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by Nobody: 4:19pm On Feb 08, 2009
I wish I could so I could tell how big the head of the guy sitting next to me is!
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by Theblessed(f): 7:33pm On Feb 08, 2009
This is quite interesting. You needn't tell me your tribe for me to recognise this behaviour.  I believe you are an intelligent and educated person who understand that this behaviour can be rude in certain environments but some of your tribes people lack this understanding and ignorant to change this attitude.  I went to University with alot of your tribes people.  I was friends with many of them unfortunately, the education and intellectual development they received could not shift this uncivilised, unbrushed, unpolished, unsieved behaviour from them whilst we were at the Uni.  For example, I would be sitting in the canteen with a Yoruba friend of mine having lunch, immediately another Yoruba person joins us - that would be the end of my contribution to the chat.  I am immediately excluded from the conversation as they embark on conversation in Yoruba language without any consideration about how I feel since they knew quite right that I do not understand the language therefore, can't join in, quite selfish of them.  They would continue with this, gbagbati, gbagbati and more gbagbatis'.  It does not matter who with or where.  I gave them time to change this behaviour but soon realised they would not as a result, I left them to join another civilised tribe and was much happier thereafter.  Yes, I suggest that some Yorubas re-think this uncivilised behaviour in the light of my commentaries above as well as the circumstance and environment they find themselves in when embarking in their lingo in the public.

Now, in considering you query above, you are in a bus travelling  to a place with a friend who happens to speak your lingo and probably same tribe eh!  The others travelling in the same bus are neither friends nor relatives or in no way related to you but just ordinary travellers going their own way. 

In my view you did the right thing.  You are not rude at all.  You would have been rude if you knew them and knowing they can not speak your lingo and continue speaking it in their midst, that would have been too rude of you.  However, as we all like to be made welcomed and inclusive in things be it with friends, family etc it would have been nice to speak in English (if what your are discussing is not private e.g the weather or the journey) so that other people in the bus interested in the topic would join in the conversation - otherwise, you are right and not rude. 

It seems to me, your critic in that bus was a jealous man/woman who wanted to join you in but unable as he/she could not speak your lingo therefore - bursted into anger and call you rude.  This is a leaning curve for you, when people try to get their own way and couldn't they throw tantrums - very childish indeed.

Anyway, always be inclusive and not, exclusive of people.  Cheers!
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by follypimpi(m): 8:21pm On Feb 08, 2009
@Theblessed

I was on the phone dear not a groupie convo.
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by onlysose(m): 8:47pm On Feb 08, 2009
there is a yoruba proverb that says - if you are not speaking yoruba then you are not making any sense, and you have to speak it as loud as you can.
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by osisi2(f): 9:44pm On Feb 08, 2009
Theblessed:

This is quite interesting. You needn't tell me your tribe for me to recognise this behaviour.  I believe you are an intelligent and educated person who understand that this behaviour can be rude in certain environments but some of your tribes people lack this understanding and ignorant to change this attitude.  I went to University with alot of your tribes people.  I was friends with many of them unfortunately, the education and intellectual development they received could not shift this uncivilised, unbrushed, unpolished, unsieved behaviour from them whilst we were at the Uni.  For example, I would be sitting in the canteen with a Yoruba friend of mine having lunch, immediately another Yoruba person joins us - that would be the end of my contribution to the chat.  I am immediately excluded from the conversation as they embark on conversation in Yoruba language without any consideration about how I feel since they knew quite right that I do not understand the language therefore, can't join in, quite selfish of them.  They would continue with this, gbagbati, gbagbati and more gbagbatis'.  It does not matter who with or where.  I gave them time to change this behaviour but soon realised they would not as a result, I left them to join another civilised tribe and was much happier thereafter.  Yes, I suggest that some Yorubas re-think this uncivilised behaviour in the light of my commentaries above as well as the circumstance and environment they find themselves in when embarking in their lingo in the public.

Now, in considering you query above, you are in a bus travelling  to a place with a friend who happens to speak your lingo and probably same tribe eh!  The others travelling in the same bus are neither friends nor relatives or in no way related to you but just ordinary travellers going their own way. 

In my view you did the right thing.  You are not rude at all.  You would have been rude if you knew them and knowing they can not speak your lingo and continue speaking it in their midst, that would have been too rude of you.  However, as we all like to be made welcomed and inclusive in things be it with friends, family etc it would have been nice to speak in English (if what your are discussing is not private e.g the weather or the journey) so that other people in the bus interested in the topic would join in the conversation - otherwise, you are right and not rude. 

It seems to me, your critic in that bus was a jealous man/woman who wanted to join you in but unable as he/she could not speak your lingo therefore - bursted into anger and call you rude.  This is a leaning curve for you, when people try to get their own way and couldn't they throw tantrums - very childish indeed.

Anyway, always be inclusive and not, exclusive of people.  Cheers!

I wouldn't use adjectives like uncivilized and unpolished to describe it but it's common knowledge that Yorubas are very guilty of what you've described.
It's happened to me times without number too and I've heard many others say the same.
You'll be having a conversation in English and once their kinsman arrives,they break out loudly in Yoruba and your conversation with them ends.
They even do it when they see someone of another tribe who speaks Yoruba.
I can relate,it's extremely annoying and very rude.

Perhaps they don't know that's the way it comes across.
I hope some can read it here and learn not to do that or at least excuse themselves politely.
You'll just be gisting and before you know it,ba woni and Yoruba will follow and there ends the conversation.
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by ohaechesi(m): 9:59pm On Feb 08, 2009
onlysose:

there is a yoruba proverb that says - if you are not speaking yoruba then you are not making any sense, and you have to speak it as loud as you can.

Now i know where the yoruba problem vegetates from. with the above post, there is every tendency that all yorubas are uncivilized and unpolished. can you imagine such proverb. i spent 8 whole years in lagos but i can't say come in yoruba lingo cos the very day i got to lagos and over heard the touts at bus stop shouting for passangers, i lost interest in that lango. Have you heard a Yoruba man or women communicating on phone? you don't expect any prophet before taking your leave. even in the market, church, buses, rear wheel stations etc, very disgusting. i think they should erase that lingo cos it irritating.
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by Hesperus(m): 10:14pm On Feb 08, 2009
What is all this talk about Nigerians being loud? Am Nigerian and am not! It depends on the individual.
If it about that, then British people are also loud! I mean, you're on the bus and you hear them saying all their business out loud. Or is it at the pubs or stores? And please dont get me started on the ameboness of the women, they meet you for the first time and start going off about how the kids you see with them are adopted from a runaway mum, who fcukin cares??
All in all, dat chic was just being a daft racist, and needs a stiff cock up her arse!
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by ayomorocco(f): 12:36am On Feb 09, 2009
ohaechesi:

Now i know where the yoruba problem vegetates from. with the above post, there is every tendency that all yorubas are uncivilized and unpolished. can you imagine such proverb. i spent 8 whole years in lagos but i can't say come in yoruba lingo cos the very day i got to lagos and over heard the touts at bus stop shouting for passangers, i lost interest in that lango. Have you heard a Yoruba man or women communicating on phone? you don't expect any prophet before taking your leave. even in the market, church, buses, rear wheel stations etc, very disgusting. i think they should erase that lingo cos it irritating.

Says the Igbo trader with the heavy Kedu Kodi accent. Bwahahahaha cheesy
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by osisi2(f): 12:44am On Feb 09, 2009
Igbos also scream on the phone.
even me self
My own kedu kwanu can be heard from a mile away grin only in private though (unless I get carried away lipsrsealed
I'll  never forget the Igbo man I saw at the airport on his cell phone in heavily starched  white caftan and gold chain just screaming on top of his lungs.
Everyone was staring at him
he looked like a trader at Main market Onitsha
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by folarina(m): 1:56am On Feb 09, 2009
@  follypimpi

The answer to your post is YES & NO  , it just depends on the circumstances surrounding the situation.

Professionally - Speaking in a foreign language  in a professional environment is surely rude, as much as possible you need to speak in English (speak french  if you are working in France,Dutch if in Netherlands) . If you find yourself working in same office with another  Nigerian you must try and converse  in English when you are within the office complex/building .It might be really wired undecided undecided especially if you are trying  to catch up on a gist  with that  person . Don't forget you are been paid to be in that office and there are code of conduct you have to stick to ,just as you  cant turn up at work in your native clothes. When  other nationals ie Sudanese ,Asians ,Chinese ,Filipinos   speak their own  local language amongst themselves around me  i find it  rude ,offensive and unpleasant but i really don't say anything about it  to them. Don't forget  foreign language sound like noise in other people's  ears .

Socially cool cool - There is absolutely nothing wrong in gisting with your mate in any language you chose as long as you don't constitute  a nuisance of your self.
When you are out socially ,you can express yourself in any language you wish to but remember that you need to do so with consideration for the people around you .Nobody can tell you what language to speak when you are in Pizza hut !!!!! cool

I think what you witnessed is just a racial attack ! The woman must have been trying to either read a book or  get some rest on the coach and you were busy chatting away . If the lady was a nice person all she haad to say was ask you politely to lower your voice or change her seat .She is just a nasty person hence  that was why she told you off ,but she didn't have to do it in such a rude way .I once went to an Indian restaurant for a meal and this Asian family were sitting not far from me .They were so loud and they must have been speaking Punjabi ,all i did was ask for the table to be changed.

Don't be upset about it  at all ,you will meet some other people who will treat you in a nicer way .
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by TOYOSI20(f): 3:09am On Feb 09, 2009
No it isnt! wink
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by cezeike(m): 4:02am On Feb 09, 2009
as for me i have been in the uk for a yr and i speak igbo and yoruba well, in the bus, train and on the street. no one tells me its rude, only when u shout so loud, after all there are so many pple here in the uk that dont speak english, pls SUE if they say such a thing to u or call me and i will get u a lwayer
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by davidif: 6:23am On Feb 09, 2009
WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE, IT IS CALLED FREEDOM OF SPEECH. IF THE WOMAN DIDN'T LIKE IT, THEN SHE SHOULD MOVE!!!!
Gosh, this is so annoying and what makes it ten times more annoying is that people are actually criticising the poster and siding with the english woman, geez. People should respect your PRIVACY!!!!! This kind thing no fit happen for yanki, lai lai. NIGERIANS KNOW YOUR RIGHTS. Everybody here speaks there language wherever they are, its just that Nigerians are just waaaaaaaaaaay too ashamed of theres that's why they don't speak in public. Boy, people in that country have a low self esteem.
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by C2H5OH(f): 6:29am On Feb 09, 2009
Is it rude? Depends on who you ask. It certainly isn't unlawful.
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by alhajiy2k(m): 11:52am On Feb 09, 2009
There is nothing wrong in speaking your native language, you'll feel original. To me my native hausa language is the sweetest and I find it very easy and comforting to speak. So dont mind em. shocked shocked shocked
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by gReenmAn(m): 12:13pm On Feb 09, 2009
as for me i have been in the uk for a yr and i speak igbo and yoruba well, in the bus, train and on the street. no one tells me its rude, only when u shout so loud, after all there are so many pple here in the uk that dont speak English, pls SUE if they say such a thing to u or call me and i will get u a lwayer

Tell them joo. I dont' live in the UK, but I visit so often and I couldn't help but notice how you get these funny glances from people when you speak anything thats not english. I used to feel slightly embarrassed but have come to overcome that, now I speak louder when I know anyone is uncomfortable with my Igbo or Yoruba. After all they too have all those funny Northern UK (English) dialects they speak when they don't want you to listen in on their conversation. its so common with those guys in Birmingham. Bone them!
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by tayoast(m): 2:01pm On Feb 09, 2009
ARE U SURE U WEREN'T YELLING/SCREAMING.

THAT DISGUSTS MOST PPLE.

NATIVE LANG. 4 LIVE!!!
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by 2Legit: 2:13pm On Feb 09, 2009
English people r racists. u shd speak ur language anywhere.
they dont speak Ibo, yoruba or hausa when they are in Nigeria
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by PurestBoy(m): 2:32pm On Feb 09, 2009
you can speak your language anywhere but don't shout so as not to disturb others
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by arramyjay: 3:14pm On Feb 09, 2009
Yes very rude.
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by kazmatic(m): 4:16pm On Feb 09, 2009
no its not rude but it funny when you speak it while with another while someone who doesnt understand listens in as you go from english to whatever to get in the sneaky african insults smiley
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by mafolayomi(f): 4:57pm On Feb 09, 2009
ayomorocco:

Says the Igbo trader with the heavy Kedu Kodi accent. Bwahahahaha cheesy
almost all Nigerians are guilty of this o, mostly yorubas and Igbos. it has happened btw me and a colleague of mine that happen to be an Igbo lady, we were discussing an important issue, we were actually trekking, from town planning b/stop in Ilupeju to Osodi, there was no bus that day,suddenly another woman worked up to us, that is also an igbo lady a coleague too, could u believe that that was d end of that conversation between us? imagine, i was left all alone in there conversation, ones in a while, they will just tell me ha Bimbo sorry ooooooo u wont understand, my conclusion was dat what they were discussing had to do with me sha undecided
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by MrCrackles(m): 4:59pm On Feb 09, 2009
TOPIC

I dont think it's rude as long as person speaking it dont take a piss!
wink
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by bluespice(f): 5:11pm On Feb 09, 2009
in a formal environment its rude
outside?
ill bite ur head off if u tell me to stop
i dont talk loudly anyway

moreso i love it when people walk up to me n my friends when we're speaking yoruba or pidgin asking us what language it is
most of em know hausa n stuff never heard of yoruba

yes im yoruba and im damn proud of that
i just dont scream it on the bus tongue

i particularly hate it when people do
here its the indains and pakistanis dirty looks dont cut it for those people
yelling at them is the only way they get to reduce the volume of their voices
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by redsun(m): 8:00pm On Feb 09, 2009
It is quite honorable for people to speak their mother tongue but it only become a nuisance when it's used to disturb people's peace in public serene places by shouting and laughing out loud.Some people could be reading,sleeping or trying to focus on their business engagements or on the other hand,if you weren't really noisy,just plain stupid and miserable people who just hate to see others happy.

England is fragile,people are so conditioned to behave in certain ways and very sensitive.I was on a coach one day,traveling from north to south of england when the coach driver threatened several times to stop and discharge three british girls who were just chatting away normally and refuse to keep quiet,personally i didn't find any thing wrong in in their chatting but the driver and a few passengers just couldn't take it.
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by drrionelli(m): 8:47pm On Feb 09, 2009
I see no reason why it might be considered rude to speak one's native tongue in a public place. As has been noted, if you are seeking to communicate clearly with an individual, then you should convey your ideas in whatever language is common to you. Sadly, where I live in the US, there exists a contingency that says that any language other than English is not to be used. This thinking is, to me, quite arrogant. Nobody other than to whom I speak has a right to be privvy to my personal conversations.

I have a friend who, like me, is French-Canadian by birth. When we encounter one another, regardless of where--be it in a crowded shopping mall, on the street, in a restaurant--we speak French to one another, because it's comfortable to each of us. Now, that being said, if we are in a setting where our conversation includes others around us who are not French speakers, or (again, as previously noted) is in a professional situation, then we speak English, the most widely spoken language in our country.

Who knows? Perhaps if we were both in France we'd speak English to one another! Either way, I don't think it would (or should) be considered rude.
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by aduje(m): 2:16pm On Feb 10, 2009
Sorry about that! It is only in UK one can find that type of selfish behaviour.
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by ayobase(m): 7:48pm On Feb 10, 2009
U should have told her
to go to hell and SCAM!!!
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by Sapphic: 11:30pm On Feb 11, 2009
aduje:

Sorry about that! It is only in UK one can find that type of selfish behaviour.

What type of selfish behaviour might that be?
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by debosky(m): 11:42pm On Feb 11, 2009
dem don turn am to Yoruba bashing o!  cheesy

LOL @ gbagbati gbagbati and gbabgatis  grin grin grin

I've definitely spoken my lingo in public though, in many cities around the world. grin

Some people can be awfully lousy though.

Where did you hear such a proverb?? People sabi lie sha!

Folly continue to speak jare. If she too cough just ask am 'na you pay my ticket money'? grin grin
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by Nobody: 2:01am On Feb 12, 2009
It's a private discussion in public. any language is allowed.
It's not even like this America wey Latino go speak Spanish to me expect make I understand.

ayobase:

U should have told her
to go to hell and SCAM!!!

scam hey??
Re: Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? by Ndipe(m): 2:43am On Feb 12, 2009
Yes, it's very RUDE cheesy wink infact, you should be repartriated to your homeland. Why should you speak your language openly, instead of covering your mouth and muttering it in very muffling tones? Only English Language needs to be spoken PUBLICLY. Our native language should be spoken BEHIND closed doors, and even then, mixed with English Language.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Where Is The Ancestral Home Of All Hausas And Who Is The Ruler..? / Pose As Masquerade, Go To Jail, Lagos Gov Warns Miscreants / Meet The Somali People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.