Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,658 members, 7,809,491 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:30 AM

Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? (29222 Views)

Kids Cartoon In Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa Languages(Video) / The Caribbean Islands Where Indigenes Speak Igbo And Yoruba / Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by scholes0(m): 4:11pm On May 09, 2015
[size=14pt]........ Which indigenous Nigerian language (or languages) are you able to speak? ........ [/size]

Major Indigenous Nigerian languages include the Following, in no particular order:

[size=16pt]Fulfulde:[/size] Fulfulde is the indigenous language of the Fulani or Fulbe, and second language for various small groups in North Eastern Nigeria, is an atlantic language, belonging to the Sene-Gambian group of languages. It is spoken widely throughout northern and central Nigeria. Fulfulde is unique among West African languages, given its lack of tonality, and it's extremely advanced noun-class system and unique consonant mutation. Fulani is an official language in Senegal (as Pulaar) and Nigeria (as Fulfulde), an official regional language in Guinea (as Pular), where many speakers are monolingual unlike in many other countries where the language is spoken, and a national language of Mali (as Fulfulde) and Niger (as Fulfulde), it is also the most widely spoken and understood Indigenous African language in All of Cameroon( as Fulfulde). The exact number of speakers of Fulfulde in Nigeria is a subject of speculation, given the highly nomadic nature of some of its speakers, but between 10 and 11 Million of Nigeria's 19 Million Fulanis have a good command of the language. Most of the other half are converted Hausa speakers.

[size=16pt]Hausa:[/size] Hausa is an Afro-Asiatic language belonging to the Chadic branch, spoken throughout vast swathes of northern Nigeria. Originally confined to the original Hausa homeland in north-Western Nigeria, it has today expanded to become a common Lingua-Franca and language of vehicular and cross cultural communication used by various ethnicities in Northern Nigeria, most especially, the North East and North West. Hausa was initially written in a modified Arabic script known as Ajami. Today however, it is mostly written in the latin script introduced by the British colonialists. Hausa is widely broadcasted by various international stations today, radio stations like BBC, Radio France Internationale, China Radio International, Voice of Russia, Voice of America, Deutsche Welle, and IRIB broadcast in Hausa. It is thought that between 50 and 55 Million Nigerians have a considerable knowledge of Hausa Language

[size=16pt]Nupe:[/size] Nupe language or Nupencizhi is the language of the Nupe people of Central/Middle belt region of Nigeria, called "Tapa" by the neighboring Yoruba. It belongs to the Niger-Congo family of African languages and is the chief member of the Nupoid language cluster. Speakers can be found primarily in Niger state but there are also other Nupe speaking communities in Kwara and Kogi states, the town of Bida, is the traditional capital of the Nupe people. Between 2.5 and 3 Million Nigerians speak Nupe.

[size=16pt]Ijaw:[/size] Ijaw or Izon, is the native language of the riverine Ijaw peoples of Southern Nigeria. They form a divergent branch of the Niger–Congo family, starkly different from it's Yoruboid, Igboid or Edoid neighbours. The ijaw languages are actually a cluster of related dialects such as Nembe, Akassa, kalabari, Biseni, Nkooro E.tcSpeakrs of Ijaw are primarily found in Bayelsa, Rivers and Delta states. Combined, about 3.5 million people speak some form of Ijaw.

[size=16pt]Yoruba:[/size] The Yoruba people are the overwhelming majority in the South-Western portions of Nigeria, and some regions of the North-Central zone. Most Yorubas speak Yoruba, a tonal Niger-Congo language, very closely related to Igala and Itsekiri, which are often regarded as Yoruba dialects. It is Also spoken by Yoruba communities in various other West African countries, and is the liturgical language of Afro derived religions of the Americas. Yoruba was initially written in a form of modified Arabic script, known as Ajami, at around the 17th Century (1600's). Yoruba is considered one of only a few handful of African languages with an advanced literature and a sophisticated philosophy. Yoruba is the most widely spoken indigenous African language outside of Africa.
Standard literary Yoruba, or common Yoruba, is a separate member of the Yoruba dialect cluster. It is the written form of the language, the standard variety learned at school and that spoken by newsreaders, television stations, Universities, contemporary/popular Nigerian music, in the Yoruba movie industry, written literary works, and on the radio. Standard Yoruba has its origin in the 1850s, when Samuel A. Crowther, the first African bishop, published a Yoruba grammar and started his translation of the Bible. Though for a large part based on the Ọyọ and Ibadan dialects, Standard Yoruba incorporates several features from other dialects. Today, It is thought that around 40 Million Yorubas have a primary knowledge of the language, with some other 3-5 Million speaking it as a second language among the Ebiras, Bussawa, Southern Nupes, Bariba and some Edo groups, as well as among migrant communities in South-Western Nigeria.

[size=16pt]Edo/Bini:[/size] The Edo language is the indiginous language of the Edo people. It is the most prominent among a cluster of Edoid language that stretches from areas near the kukuruuku hills of Northern Edo state to the estuary of the Benin river around Forcados. Edo language has had a considerable impact on some of the other languages around it- given the fact that it once controlled large swathes of Southern Nigeria (althought now lost, traces of the language can be found in legal and administrative terms of some of these languages). About 2 Million people speak Edo/Bini today.
However, there are more than 5 Million people who speak all Edoid languages including Esan, Urhobo and Etsako.

[size=16pt]Efik-Ibibio-Annang :[/size] The Efik-Ibibio-Annang languages cluster, are closely related dialects spoken by the Efik, Ibibio and Annang peoples respectively. Speakers can be found in The Akwa-Ibom and Cross river states of Nigeria. The Ibibio-Efik languages belong to the Benue-Congo language branch. Efik is the literary standard for this cluster of languages, due to the prominent position Calabar held in Nigerian history, Ibibio however has by far more speakers. The Ibibio-Efik-Annang group, is the 6th largest language cluster in Nigeria after Yoruba, Hausa, Fulfulde, Igbo and Kanuri. It has about 6 million speakers today.

[size=16pt]Tiv:[/size] The Tiv language is the native language of the Tiv agriculturalist people of Central Nigeria, and its speakers are found primarily in the Benue river valley and surrounding regions. Most Tiv people are from Benue state, where Gboko; the traditional capital of the Tiv people is located, but communities also exist in Nassarawa, Taraba and Northern Cross River states. Tiv belongs to the Southern Bantoid family (or Wide Bantu) of the Benue- Congo language branch. About 3.6 Million Nigerians speak Tiv today.

[size=16pt]Kanuri[/size]: Kanuri is the native language of the Kanuri people of North Eastern Nigeria. It is a dialect continuum belonging to the Nilo-Saharan family of African languages. Speakers are primarily found in Yobe and Borno states, but also parts of Northern Adamawa. Kanuri is the language associated with the Kanem and Bornu empires which dominated the Lake Chad region for a thousand years and stretched from the lake chad region to Southern Libya. Traditionally a local lingua franca in NE Nigeria, its usage has declined in recent decades in favor of Hausa or Arabic. Today, exact total number of speakers remain unknown but it is thought that the figures stand between 5 and 6 Million.

[size=16pt]Ebira:[/size] Ebira , also spelt Igbirra is the language of the Ebira people of Central Nigeria. It is a Niger-Congo language, belonging to the Nupe branch of languages. Ebiraland is located between Yorubaland to the West, and Igalanland to the East. Most Ebira people are from the central districts of Kogi state, and the most northern portions of Edo state (As Etuno), although they can also be found as migrant farm workers all over Central and South Western Nigeria. the town of Okene is said to be the administrative centre of the Ebira-speaking people in Kogi state, not far from the Niger-Benue confluence. It is thought that around 1.4 Million Nigerians speak Ebira today.

[size=16pt]Igbo (Ibo):[/size] Igbo is the principal Indigenous language of the Igbo people, the largest Ethnic group of Nigeria's geographical South-East. The Igbo language however, is infact a cluster of dozens of various dialects, sometimes only barely mutually intelligible. Given recent efforts in the standardization of the language, there have been a degree of dialect leveling, and eradication of certain dialects going on. A standard literary language was developed in 1972 based on the Owerri (Isuama) and Umuahia (such as Ohuhu) dialects, though it omits the nasalization and aspiration of those varieties. There are also some related Igboid languages, that are sometimes considered dialects of Igbo, such as Ika, Ikwerre, Ukwuani (Ndokwa), Izzi-Ezza, with the most divergent of these being Ekpeye. Many of these languages have a separate standard written form from Igbo.
In 1972, the Society for Promoting Igbo Language and Culture (SPILC), a nationalist organisation which saw Central Igbo as an imperialist exercise, set up a Standardisation Committee to extend Central Igbo to be a more inclusive language. Standard Igbo aims to cross-pollinate Central Igbo with words from Igbo dialects from outside the "Central" areas, and with the adoption of loan words. Some Igbo language groups once used the Ekoi/Ejagham invented Nsibidi pictograms as a form of limited idea representation, however it was not widely used as a writing form. About 32 Million Nigerians speak Igbo in all its forms today.

[size=16pt]Idoma:[/size] Idoma language is the language of the Idoma people of Central Nigeria. The Idoma territory is found between the Igalas to the West, and the Tivs to the East. A number of peoples, including the Agala, Iyala, Okpoto, Nkum, and Iguwale, are classified as speakers of distinguishable Idoma dialects, which belong to the Kwa branch of the Niger-Congo family of languages. It is the second official language of Benue state, with considerable number of speakers in the Northern section of Enugu state. Otukpo is the traditional capital and largest city of the Idoma people. Idoma is spoken today by about 900,000 people.

[size=16pt]Igala:[/size] The Igala language or Igarra, is the mother tongue of the Igala people-a largely agrarian and semi-fishing group found primarily in the eastern sections of Kogi state, around the confluence of the Niger and the Benue rivers but also in parts of Anambra, Delta, Nassarawa and Edo states. It is a language of the Yoruboid branch of the Volta–Niger language family. Its primary dialects include Ebu, Idah, Ankpa, Dekina, Ogugu, Ibaji and Ife. The town of Idah, by the banks of the Niger river, is considered the historical and administrative center of all Igala speaking peoples. The first tradition says “Igala” is a derivative of the Yoruba name for antelope (Igala, so these schools of thought tries to suggest that there were many antelopes during the early migrations into the land giving rise to this name. Today, about 2.1 Million Nigerians speak Igala.

Other Nigerian languages include, but are not limited to: [size=14pt]Jukun, Bekwarra, Shuwa Arabic, Itsekiri, Berom, Ngas, Ekoi/Ejagham, Katab, Bura-Pabir, Urhobo, Esan, Etsako[/size], Etc. If your language is not mentioned, Sorry about that, you can just name it.

Images
* A Map of Nigerian Languages
* An example of Ajami script
* A "Learn Yoruba online" portal
* The New Nsibidi script

1 Like

Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by Nobody: 4:17pm On May 09, 2015
Comfam Ibibio

8 Likes

Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by wahalababe(f): 4:23pm On May 09, 2015
i #rep ibibio

7 Likes

Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by YonkijiSappo: 4:52pm On May 09, 2015
Yoruba

8 Likes

Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by Fulaman198(m): 4:58pm On May 09, 2015
I speak Fulfulde and I'm Fulani as well. I can also speak Hausa and some Zarma as well.

8 Likes

Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by YonkijiSappo: 5:01pm On May 09, 2015
Fulaman198:
I speak Fulfulde and I'm Fulani as well. I can also speak Hausa and some Zarma as well.

You really do speak Zarmanci?
Where did you learn it?? cheesy
Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by scholes0(m): 5:03pm On May 09, 2015
Fulaman198:

Fulaman, you are a mod on the culture section, can you help propel this essential and beautiful topic to the front page, pls
Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by Fulaman198(m): 5:04pm On May 09, 2015
YonkijiSappo:

You really do speak Zarmanci?
Where did you learn it?? cheesy

From a Zarma friend who is from Sokoto. I don't speak Zarma fluently.

Ai ga bani
Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by Fulaman198(m): 5:04pm On May 09, 2015
scholes0:

Fulaman, you are a mod on the culture section, can you help propel this essential and beautiful topic to the front page, pls

Sure
Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by scholes0(m): 5:07pm On May 09, 2015
Fulaman198:

Sure

Thanks.
I wish I could say that in Fulfulde, Fulaman cheesy
Hopefully, one of those Angelic Fulani girls famed for their beauty, will let me in on the intricacies of the language.

3 Likes

Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by YonkijiSappo: 5:11pm On May 09, 2015
Fulaman198:

From a Zarma friend who is from Sokoto. I don't speak Zarma fluently.

Ai ga bani

Interesting, I always try to learn as much languages as I can.
I even have some knowledge of Yoruba, from my stays in the South-West..
btw: Do you know what my moniker means?
Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by Fulaman198(m): 5:12pm On May 09, 2015
scholes0:

Thanks.
I wish I could say that in Fulfulde, Fulaman cheesy
Hopefully, one of those Angelic Fulani girls famed for their beauty, will let me in on the intricacies of the language.

Mi yetti PulloGorko198 is how you would say it loll
Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by Fulaman198(m): 5:16pm On May 09, 2015
YonkijiSappo:

Interesting, I always try to learn as much languages as I can.
I even have some knowledge of Yoruba, from my stays in the South-West..
btw: Do you know what my moniker means?

Interesting, your name is something like 10th soul.

Yonkiji for the soul or spirit
Sappo for the number 10

Am I right? Do you understand my signature?
Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by absoluteSuccess: 7:14pm On May 09, 2015
Me I fit speak good Yoruba and also Tori, a dialect of Egun. Op, you didnt put Egun inside your post. OP waina?

3 Likes

Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by scholes0(m): 11:32pm On May 09, 2015
absoluteSuccess:
Me I fit speak good Yoruba and also Tori, a dialect of Egun. Op, you didnt put Egun inside your post. OP waina?

Honestly, I have never heard of this Tori before o- However I have heard of Egun/Gun- which happens to be a dialect of Fon/Fon-Gbe, but thanks for mentioning it. Are you an Egun man yourself?
Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by Fulaman198(m): 1:23am On May 10, 2015
No idea why this hasn't bee moved to front page yet, looks like my request is falling on deaf ears.
Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by absoluteSuccess: 5:03am On May 10, 2015
scholes0:

Honestly, I have never heard of this Tori before o- However I have heard of Egun/Gun- which happens to be a dialect of Fon/Fon-Gbe, but thanks for mentioning it. Are you an Egun man yourself?
Tori-Gbe is egun dialect, but its slightly different from Alada-Gbe, the Egun used in writing. Tori means To-eri (ito eri: Yoruba, river tracers, Itori) or oto ri (nu) people across the river. Fon derive from Nfan, which is Tori for 'I said'. Tori is the language of the Wae-nu. I am partly Fon, partly Yoruba.

3 Likes

Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by absoluteSuccess: 5:31am On May 10, 2015
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phla–Pherá_languages
Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by kaura5000: 6:44am On May 10, 2015
I speak hausa language and some few fulfulde
Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by Nobody: 6:28pm On May 10, 2015
I can drink Igbo, can spew yoruba but wish I learn hausa.

Udo na achi.
Op e kusee.

2 Likes

Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by YonkijiSappo: 8:01pm On May 11, 2015
Fulaman198:

Interesting, your name is something like 10th soul.

Yonkiji for the soul or spirit
Sappo for the number 10

Am I right? Do you understand my signature?

Yes banndiko, You got that right.
but which signature are you talking about?
Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by Fulaman198(m): 8:03pm On May 11, 2015
YonkijiSappo:

Yes banndiko, You got that right.
but which signature are you talking about?

This one dedirawo:

"Mido andi biirugol amma mido andi windugol e jangugol."
Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by YonkijiSappo: 8:05pm On May 11, 2015

2 Likes

Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by Fulaman198(m): 8:29pm On May 11, 2015
YonkijiSappo:

lol.... easy
I have the knowledge of milking a cow, but I am also a learned/erudite good writer.

btw: I have some Video of Miyeti Allah Kawtal hoore in Nigeria, done completely in Fulfulde, I want to compile them and send it to one facebook page called Zone fulbe. watch out bro.

Very good, you got it right, I will be on the look out for it bro, please post it in the Fulani thread when you have a chance as well.
Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by Macelliot(m): 9:25am On May 13, 2015
I Speak Nsukka, Idemili and Izugbe(central-Ibo) dialects of Igbo.
I Speaks central-Yor and Ekiti dialect of Yoruba...

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by MOUA(m): 9:25am On May 13, 2015
Scary Footage Of Nepal Earthquake During Pool Party Should Remind You To Help

While it may be fascinating to watch footage of the earthquake, it's important to remember the consequences of such a massive natural disaster. Since the earthquake struck, Nepal has faced unimaginable pain and tragedy. More than 8,000 people have
died, and over 17,000 were injured in the quake. Amongst the wreckage and destruction, though, has emerged something just as powerful as nature: the power of empathy and aid.

In the wake of this tragedy, several countries, organizations and individuals have stepped up to give the people of Nepal a helping hand. The Disasters Emergency Committee from the U.K. has raised £50 million, or more than $77 million. India has sent over 1,000 workers, 50 tons of water and 22 tons of food, according to Indian Express. The United States Agency for International Development (USAID) has given $10 million. China sent 62 search and rescue workers and pledged more than $3.3 million in aid, according to TIME

Israel, Malaysia, Pakistan and Australia have all been huge contributors, as well. But it isn't just countries. World famous soccer player Cristiano Ronaldo let go of $8 million, and pleaded for his Facebook followers to donate to Save The Children's relief fund. Speaking of Facebook, they are matching every dollar donated to Nepal through their website.

watch video>>>>http://www.mouaue.com/2015/05/scary-footage-of-nepal-earthquake.html

1 Like

Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by okooloyun1(m): 9:25am On May 13, 2015
Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by loomer: 9:26am On May 13, 2015
I no go lie, me na none of the above o
Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by ichidodo: 9:26am On May 13, 2015
We speak Igbo central and dialect fluently,yoruba central fluently and bits of creole,especially Carribean creole....

2 Likes

Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by demmy0325(m): 9:27am On May 13, 2015
Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by proxitaly: 9:28am On May 13, 2015
Igbo and Ibibio

5 Likes

Re: Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? by Big4wig(m): 9:28am On May 13, 2015
i can speak igbo,yoruba and pigin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Prince Gbadegesin Ogunoye, Olowo Of Owo - Elect Bows Out Of Public Service / Africans/ Deodorant / Lovely Names For Twins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.