Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,688 members, 7,809,600 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:50 AM

Looking For Some In Information On Tribe And Meaning And Also My Father - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Looking For Some In Information On Tribe And Meaning And Also My Father (1639 Views)

How Diverse Are We In Nigeria? Rep Your Tribe And/dialect! / Princess Adeola Ogunwusi: “How My Father Becoming Ooni Has Changed My Life” / Idoma Names And Meaning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Looking For Some In Information On Tribe And Meaning And Also My Father by pashka(f): 10:07pm On May 09, 2015
Hi
I am looking for my father who is from Lagos originally, he came to England and meet my mam Janet Benton. They were not together long and my mam fell pregnant with me, I was born in May 1978 in Easington colliery peterlee. I think hey meet up in London, my Father came over here to study.My mam does not remember much as she had a disease of the brain which made her forget. All she can remember is his first name was Kay (which was probably shortened when he came to this country) she also said his last name was Okanara or Okinawa (which I am not sure if this is the correct spellings and not even sure if I am pronouncing it right)

He gave me a middle name which is Bisi ( not sure if I am spelling this correctly either) as he was not around when I was born so his name is not on my birth certificate, but it was something he requested to my mam, she never put it on my birth certificate though. I had an operation when I was 1yr old to where I needed blood transfusion and my dad had to provide the blood as we were the same blood type.

I am looking for any help, anyone can provide. Such correct spelling of name or which tribe it originated from, it would be really appreciate or even what Bisi means and what part of lagos it is from.
Re: Looking For Some In Information On Tribe And Meaning And Also My Father by Lovebond34(m): 10:34pm On May 09, 2015
gudluck in ur search
Re: Looking For Some In Information On Tribe And Meaning And Also My Father by bigfrancis21: 10:58pm On May 09, 2015
pashka:
Hi
I am looking for my father who is from Lagos originally, he came to England and meet my mam Janet Benton. They were not together long and my mam fell pregnant with me, I was born in May 1978 in Easington colliery peterlee. I think hey meet up in London, my Father came over here to study.My mam does not remember much as she had a disease of the brain which made her forget. All she can remember is his first name was Kay (which was probably shortened when he came to this country) she also said his last name was Okanara or Okinawa (which I am not sure if this is the correct spellings and not even sure if I am pronouncing it right)

He gave me a middle name which is Bisi ( not sure if I am spelling this correctly either) as he was not around when I was born so his name is not on my birth certificate, but it was something he requested to my mam, she never put it on my birth certificate though. I had an operation when I was 1yr old to where I needed blood transfusion and my dad had to provide the blood as we were the same blood type.

I am looking for any help, anyone can provide. Such correct spelling of name or which tribe it originated from, it would be really appreciate or even what Bisi means and what part of lagos it is from.

First, based on the name, I would say that your dad is definitely Yoruba, successfully pinning down your search to one tribe out of over 250 in Nigeria!

Second, a definite last name would be helpful in helping you locate your father as people are easily identified by their family last names in Nigeria. I would say that getting your dad's last name is very important in helping you find find your dad. Without your dad's last name, locating him would prove quite difficult.

What other details about your dad do you know? His schooling history? University? High school? With such details you might be able to pin him down successfully.

1 Like

Re: Looking For Some In Information On Tribe And Meaning And Also My Father by musicwriter(m): 11:29pm On May 09, 2015
@pashka.

It's such a challenge you have over there.

While wishing you goodluck in your search, but let me also advise you to be weary of people contacting you soon telling you one way or the other to send them money to help you in this search. On no condition should you pay anybody to help you. A word is enough for the wise.

I believe the best way of going about it is coming to Nigeria, but I wish you have all the names correct. Okanara or whatever you have over there sound to me more like Obinnaya Or Odinaka which is an Igbo name. Okinawa on the other hand, I believe is a Japanese island or name and shouldn't have anything to do with your fathers name.
Re: Looking For Some In Information On Tribe And Meaning And Also My Father by pashka(f): 11:39pm On May 11, 2015
bigfrancis21:

First, based on the name, I would say that your dad is definitely Yoruba, successfully pinning down your search to one tribe out of over 250 in Nigeria!

Second, a definite last name would be helpful in helping you locate your father as people are easily identified by their family last names in Nigeria. I would say that getting your dad's last name is very important in helping you find find your dad. Without your dad's last name, locating him would prove quite difficult.

What other details about your dad do you know? His schooling history? University? High school? With such details you might be able to pin him down successfully.

I really appreciate the information and all help you can give, I don't know the correct spelling. My mam had a deliberating brain disease (just recently passed), so by the time I wanted to search for him her information was very limited. I do know he came over to England to study, not sure if the college he went to was Middlesbrough or one in London. He did give me the middle name Bisi, which mam decided not to put on my birth certificate. My mam and my father did not know each other for very long I would say about a year or a year and a half. I do know they both loved Barry White smiley I know what I have to go on is very little, but really it is all I have.
Re: Looking For Some In Information On Tribe And Meaning And Also My Father by pashka(f): 11:43pm On May 11, 2015
musicwriter:
@pashka.

It's such a challenge you have over there.

While wishing you goodluck in your search, but let me also advise you to be weary of people contacting you soon telling you one way or the other to send them money to help you in this search. On no condition should you pay anybody to help you. A word is enough for the wise.

I believe the best way of going about it is coming to Nigeria, but I wish you have all the names correct. Okanara or whatever you have over there sound to me more like Obinnaya Or Odinaka which is an Igbo name. Okinawa on the other hand, I believe is a Japanese island or name and shouldn't have anything to do with your fathers name.

Thank you so much for the information, Yeah trying to put down what I think it sounds like is hard smiley Maybe it it could be Okinawa?? I don't know if you know any other good sites to use to post my information. I have tried a few newspapers over there, but had no look.
Re: Looking For Some In Information On Tribe And Meaning And Also My Father by pashka(f): 11:45pm On May 11, 2015
Lovebond34:
gudluck in ur search

Thanks by the sounds of it I am going to need it smiley
Re: Looking For Some In Information On Tribe And Meaning And Also My Father by musicwriter(m): 10:24am On May 12, 2015
pashka:

Thank you so much for the information, Yeah trying to put down what I think it sounds like is hard smiley Maybe it it could be Okinawa?? I don't know if you know any other good sites to use to post my information. I have tried a few newspapers over there, but had no look.

This's about the best online media you could put it in Nigeria, the only downside is this site is made of mostly youths and even children.
I told you already your father's name cannot be Okinawa, that must be a Japanese name not Nigerian. I studied geography and I know for sure Okinawa must be somewhere in or near Japan. I also tutored myself a little bit of history and I know George Bush Sr, former US president fought in a war at the battle of Okinawa or Iwojima or something like that in the 40's or there about. He almost lost his life there, but God saved him. So, you don't really have to insist on Okinawa, unless you have a wrong name to begin with.

Google Okinawa and see what you get. Intact, I'll advise you to Google each of the possible names you have, if it's a Nigerian name you must see at least one person with that as "full name", even if he may not be your father.

To get help with the pronunciation please made a sound clip of the name you have and I believe when people hear it it would be easier to figure out the name for. Once you have the right name, the best thing you would have to do is write your story in details in a proper way and send to newspapers in Nigeria. If it's well written with enough details I believe the newspapers will publish it for free.
Re: Looking For Some In Information On Tribe And Meaning And Also My Father by Nobody: 7:07pm On May 13, 2015
Kay sounds like a short form for Kayode.
Okinawa... could be Okewole? Bisi is a yoruba name.

However, you need his first and last name to narrow your search down. My advise is that:

1.)Try to go to the school he went to.
2.) The hospital where he donated blood and you did the operation
3.) Look for old pictures of your mom and dad with him... And paste it on the internet.
Re: Looking For Some In Information On Tribe And Meaning And Also My Father by pashka(f): 9:26am On May 14, 2015
TeOwl:
Kay sounds like a short form for Kayode.
Okinawa... could be Okewole? Bisi is a yoruba name.

However, you need his first and last name to narrow your search down. My advise is that:

1.)Try to go to the school he went to.
2.) The hospital where he donated blood and you did the operation
3.) Look for old pictures of your mom and dad with him... And paste it on the internet.

Hi TeOwl, You are the 2nd person who has mentioned the name Kayode. I went to the college he studied at over here, they destroy records of any student after 5yrs. I thought about the hospital as he would have had to sign something to say he gives his consent to donate blood. But he hospital where I was born was knocked down, so I assumed my records would have been archived. But after 25yrs your records are destroyed, so no luck there. There re no pictures of my mam and dad together as they were not together long they split up when she was pregnant with me. Thanks for narrowing down My Bisi name to the Yourba's at least I am a little further than before. I don;t Think it's Okinawa, I think it is closer to Okanara.
Re: Looking For Some In Information On Tribe And Meaning And Also My Father by pashka(f): 9:38am On May 14, 2015
musicwriter:

This's about the best online media you could put it in Nigeria, the only downside is this site is made of mostly youths and even children.
I told you already your father's name cannot be Okinawa, that must be a Japanese name not Nigerian. I studied geography and I know for sure Okinawa must be somewhere in or near Japan. I also tutored myself a little bit of history and I know George Bush Sr, former US president fought in a war at the battle of Okinawa or Iwojima or something like that in the 40's or there about. He almost lost his life there, but God saved him. So, you don't really have to insist on Okinawa, unless you have a wrong name to begin with.

Google Okinawa and see what you get. Intact, I'll advise you to Google each of the possible names you have, if it's a Nigerian name you must see at least one person with that as "full name", even if he may not be your father.

To get help with the pronunciation please made a sound clip of the name you have and I believe when people hear it it would be easier to figure out the name for. Once you have the right name, the best thing you would have to do is write your story in details in a proper way and send to newspapers in Nigeria. If it's well written with enough details I believe the newspapers will publish it for free.

Sorry musicwriter, What I was supposed to say is maybe it could be Okonawa or Okenawa. Yeah my partner said the same as you that Okinawa is a Japanese name. I don't know how to put a sound clip on here, but I could put a picture of my mam and maybe me as a baby. What do you think? I also have another post on here in Family so maybe more people will see it. I have emailed some newspapers to ask if they could print my story with some brief information, but had no response I also don't mind paying for it depending on price.
Re: Looking For Some In Information On Tribe And Meaning And Also My Father by Nobody: 9:41am On May 14, 2015
The school where your dad went to should have a list of students that graduated (or entered) for every year since they started... It is just a list... Just like in my secondary and University, they have a list of students that graduated and matriculated (it is just a list, it should be easy for his school to have that record. With that list, you should be able to look for any name that has Kay, Bisi and Ok as surname... Was it a university or polytechnic?

pashka:

Hi TeOwl, You are the 2nd person who has mentioned the name Kayode. I went to the college he studied at over here, they destroy records of any student after 5yrs. I thought about the hospital as he would have had to sign something to say he gives his consent to donate blood. But he hospital where I was born was knocked down, so I assumed my records would have been archived. But after 25yrs your records are destroyed, so no luck there. There re no pictures of my mam and dad together as they were not together long they split up when she was pregnant with me. Thanks for narrowing down My Bisi name to the Yourba's at least I am a little further than before. I don;t Think it's Okinawa, I think it is closer to Okanara.
Re: Looking For Some In Information On Tribe And Meaning And Also My Father by musicwriter(m): 10:44am On May 14, 2015
pashka:

Sorry musicwriter, What I was supposed to say is maybe it could be Okonawa or Okenawa. Yeah my partner said the same as you that Okinawa is a Japanese name. I don't know how to put a sound clip on here, but I could put a picture of my mam and maybe me as a baby. What do you think? I also have another post on here in Family so maybe more people will see it. I have emailed some newspapers to ask if they could print my story with some brief information, but had no response I also don't mind paying for it depending on price.

You can run an advert here on Nairaland itself!. Again, get your story well prepared, add pictures (all in your original post). You'll use your original post as your ad link, unless you have an external source. However, before publishing pictures make sure you add some background notes to it to avoid someone else using your picture for some other reason.

Just click on the "How to advertise on Nairaland" box to get the advert rate. It's cheap, and I believe with £50 - £100 you could run a successful campaign here.

I'll advise you to run your ad on the front page.

You may caption your ad as:-

1. "A British born looking for his Nigerian father".

2. I'm in Britain. I'm looking for my father who's a Nigerian".

E.t.c. You can place more than one ad at a time for maximum impact.

This site is a great site to locate your father cause someone must know him here. He could even be on Nairaland cause most Nigerian expatriates are here. Who knows!.
Re: Looking For Some In Information On Tribe And Meaning And Also My Father by musicwriter(m): 10:47am On May 14, 2015
Further to my earlier post above, here is a link to Nairaland ad procedures https://www.nairaland.com/1049481/how-place-targeted-ads-nairaland

Here is a link to the ad rates https://www.nairaland.com/adrates

It appears £100 will fetch you just about 3-4 days space, but it's a good start. Have it run on weekends, may be from Friday to Monday.
Re: Looking For Some In Information On Tribe And Meaning And Also My Father by pashka(f): 7:13pm On May 14, 2015
TeOwl:
The school where your dad went to should have a list of students that graduated (or entered) for every year since they started... It is just a list... Just like in my secondary and University, they have a list of students that graduated and matriculated (it is just a list, it should be easy for his school to have that record. With that list, you should be able to look for any name that has Kay, Bisi and Ok as surname... Was it a university or polytechnic?

I don't know what it is like over there but here they don't I have already called them. They only keep them for 5yrs after they have left college.
Re: Looking For Some In Information On Tribe And Meaning And Also My Father by Nobody: 10:49pm On May 14, 2015
pashka:

I don't know what it is like over there but here they don't I have already called them. They only keep them for 5yrs after they have left college.

my sister graduated over 10years ago, and she needed her original certificate, she went to the university and she got her original certificate even after 10years of graduation.... our new president elect had problems with his secondary school certificate and the current principal of his school traced his name that he attended that secondary school... assume that you misunderstood what they said and go back to see if there is a list.... with out a first and last name, you search is futile.

most schools maintain a basic list of students tha graduated...
Re: Looking For Some In Information On Tribe And Meaning And Also My Father by pashka(f): 9:54am On May 15, 2015
teeowl:

my sister graduated over 10years ago, and she needed her original certificate, she went to the university and she got her original certificate even after 10years of graduation.... our new president elect had problems with his secondary school certificate and the current principal of his school traced his name that he attended that secondary school... assume that you misunderstood what they said and go back to see if there is a list.... with out a first and last name, you search is futile.

most schools maintain a basic list of students tha graduated...

Hi It was not a secondary school or a university it was college. The one where my dad went to has closed down, then they merged 2 colleges together. I have called them and they told me they only hold records for up to 5yrs after they have finished there course. Nothing is ever pointless, from this post I have manged to get the correct spelling of my name African name. Plus some possible first and last names also where my name originated from. Plus we are talking about at least 39yrs ago he attended not 5yrs or 10yrs.
Re: Looking For Some In Information On Tribe And Meaning And Also My Father by Nobody: 11:40pm On May 15, 2015
The only viable option is to place adverts in nigerian newspapers containing all the details you gave here and hope he would see it...

With a sure first and last name you would have over 100 people that can spot it and tell him, but when the name is not too sure, he has to be the one to spot it and know that the advert refers to him.

Example, over 100 people in nigeria know my first and last name and can easily contact me or trace me if they see an advert about me in the newspaper.

pashka:

Hi It was not a secondary school or a university it was college. The one where my dad went to has closed down, then they merged 2 colleges together. I have called them and they told me they only hold records for up to 5yrs after they have finished there course. Nothing is ever pointless, from this post I have manged to get the correct spelling of my name African name. Plus some possible first and last names also where my name originated from. Plus we are talking about at least 39yrs ago he attended not 5yrs or 10yrs.
Re: Looking For Some In Information On Tribe And Meaning And Also My Father by Africaman: 1:10pm On May 16, 2015
pashka:
Hi
I am looking for my father who is from Lagos originally, he came to England and meet my mam Janet Benton. They were not together long and my mam fell pregnant with me, I was born in May 1978 in Easington colliery peterlee. I think hey meet up in London, my Father came over here to study.My mam does not remember much as she had a disease of the brain which made her forget. All she can remember is his first name was Kay (which was probably shortened when he came to this country) she also said his last name was Okanara [/b]or [b]Okinawa (which I am not sure if this is the correct spellings and not even sure if I am pronouncing it right)

Hello,

Okanara seems similar to the Yoruba surnames Akinara or Akinyera, when both are pronounced with a British accent. I believe the name Akinyera possibly comes from the town of Ibadan, in Oyo State South-West Nigeria.

In the same vein, Okinawa seems similar to the Yoruba name Okanlawon, also when pronounced with a British accent.

I also agree that Kay seems to be the short form of the Yoruba name Kayode.

Hope this was useful and sorry I wasn't able to provide further help.

ciao

Africaman
Re: Looking For Some In Information On Tribe And Meaning And Also My Father by pashka(f): 9:01am On May 18, 2015
This has been very helpful, thank you so much
Africaman:

Hello,

Okanara seems similar to the Yoruba surnames Akinara or Akinyera, when both are pronounced with a British accent. I believe the name Akinyera possibly comes from the town of Ibadan, in Oyo State South-West Nigeria.

In the same vein, Okinawa seems similar to the Yoruba name Okanlawon, also when pronounced with a British accent.

I also agree that Kay seems to be the short form of the Yoruba name Kayode.

Hope this was useful and sorry I wasn't able to provide further help.

ciao

Africaman
Re: Looking For Some In Information On Tribe And Meaning And Also My Father by pashka(f): 9:10am On May 18, 2015
Thank you, I will see if I can get more info first or even some possibles. Then I wi have more info to put in the advert.
teeowl:
The only viable option is to place adverts in nigerian newspapers containing all the details you gave here and hope he would see it...

With a sure first and last name you would have over 100 people that can spot it and tell him, but when the name is not too sure, he has to be the one to spot it and know that the advert refers to him.

Example, over 100 people in nigeria know my first and last name and can easily contact me or trace me if they see an advert about me in the newspaper.

(1) (Reply)

How Do We Stop Theives In Ngr - Armed Robbers Lay Siege To Lagos / Jesus Christ Appears At A Catholic Church In Benin City / Is It Wrong To Give Out Something With The Left Hand?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.