Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,389 members, 7,822,802 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:10 PM

Is It Wrong To Give Out Something With The Left Hand? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is It Wrong To Give Out Something With The Left Hand? (1647 Views)

Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? / Giving And Recieving With The Left Hand. / Itching Of The Left Hand (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Wrong To Give Out Something With The Left Hand? by ben4ever(m): 8:54pm On May 03, 2012
Hello fellow nairalanders, i ignorantly gave someone an item with my left hand today and was surprised at the kind of scolding i received. i still dont undastand if God forbade us from using the left hand? I really need honest contributions from you all, i will also welcome constructive criticisms as well.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Out Something With The Left Hand? by NRIPRIEST(m): 8:44pm On May 04, 2012
In Igboland its very disrespectful to do that especially to the elderly. I also think its the same wif most Nigerian groups.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Out Something With The Left Hand? by ben4ever(m): 1:18pm On May 05, 2012
NRI PRIEST: In Igboland its very disrespectful to do that especially to the elderly. I also think its the same wif most Nigerian groups.

Yes bro, i fully undastand d culture, but being a literate and also a christian, doesn't it change everything?
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Out Something With The Left Hand? by Fulaman198(m): 5:42pm On May 05, 2012
ben4ever:

Yes bro, i fully undastand d culture, but being a literate and also a christian, doesn't it change everything?

What does being literate and being a particular religion have to do with culture? Are you saying that we should completely Westernize ourselves?
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Out Something With The Left Hand? by ben4ever(m): 5:18am On May 06, 2012
@fulaman
No, dat is not what i mean. Its not about westernization, its being fully aware about right and wrong! What if the person is a lefty? He shud not use his hand again?
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Out Something With The Left Hand? by Fulaman198(m): 5:45am On May 06, 2012
ben4ever: @fulaman
No, dat is not what i mean. Its not about westernization, its being fully aware about right and wrong! What if the person is a lefty? He shud not use his hand again?

hmmm you have a point
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Out Something With The Left Hand? by ben4ever(m): 4:01am On May 08, 2012
@ fulaman
thanks for seeing reason with me. How i wish others can do the same.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Out Something With The Left Hand? by Obiagu1(m): 5:49am On May 08, 2012
ben4ever: @fulaman

Being left-handed can't stop one from giving out something with one's right hand, can it?

I know I can give out something with both left and right hand though I'm right-handed.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Out Something With The Left Hand? by busybee24: 10:48am On May 08, 2012
I think the issue is culture and to appease you know our fellow relatives people should just do it with the right hand. However people should note some people are left handed and since that the dominant hand they sometimes do it without thinking since its so normal to them so there shouldnt be a big hurrah when its done at times.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Out Something With The Left Hand? by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:34pm On May 08, 2012
yes ofcourse it is wrong. you do all the "bad" things with left hand.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Out Something With The Left Hand? by ben4ever(m): 4:55pm On May 08, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
yes ofcourse it is wrong. you do all the "bad" things with left hand.
@pagan9ja
Bad things can be done any hand.

@busybee24, thanks 4 ur candid explanation. I feel much better knowing dat there are still people out there who understand wisely d diff btwn right annd wrong

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Out Something With The Left Hand? by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:00pm On May 08, 2012
^^^^^^^^^i mean something else. ok dont use your left hand after defecation
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Out Something With The Left Hand? by Ptolomeus(m): 7:12pm On May 08, 2012
I read that in some areas of Africa where water is scarce, the left hand is used to eat, being the least contaminated (in the case of rights, of course)
Anyone know anything about that?

There is a "standard" arguably international, although it is written, possibly protocol, in that whatever we do we give and receive with your right hand. That, whether we are right or left.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Out Something With The Left Hand? by LogicMind: 10:47am On May 09, 2012
it's not wrong to use your left hand especially if you are left handed.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

5 Things You Don't Know About The IJEBU Man / “asiri Iwa Ọwọ Femi Solar Ti Tu Si Mi Lọwọ” - Oniroyin / Esan Names!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.