Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,160 members, 7,829,140 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:10 PM

Help! His Genotype Is AA And His Wife's Genotype Is AS But Their Daughter is SS - Health (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Help! His Genotype Is AA And His Wife's Genotype Is AS But Their Daughter is SS (66916 Views)

Family Donates Funds Nigerians Raised To Save Their Daughter's Life To Charity / My 10-Year-Old Daughter Is No Longer A Virgin / 'Help! My Two Year Old Has SS Genotype' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help! His Genotype Is AA And His Wife's Genotype Is AS But Their Daughter is SS by d33types: 12:37pm On May 12, 2015
mikkyword:
shocked the possibilities are two:

1. It is either the child is not his. That is to say infidelity from the wife. Or

2. That he made a mistake with his genotype.

in most centres in Nigeria hemoglobin electrophoresis is used for genetic testing and this will mask thalassemia ...

that SS child will be tested molecularly and found out to be aa or as with alpha thalassemia ..but will be misread as SS in haemoglobin electrophoresis as a result of the thalassemic gene..solution is to stop advocating the use of electrophoresis for genetics

2 Likes

Re: Help! His Genotype Is AA And His Wife's Genotype Is AS But Their Daughter is SS by Azazi(m): 12:37pm On May 12, 2015
make their landlord check his genotype too grin

2 Likes

Re: Help! His Genotype Is AA And His Wife's Genotype Is AS But Their Daughter is SS by sam2323(m): 12:41pm On May 12, 2015
he should take that child to hospital and check the DNA if it matches wit his own then there is no argument about it but if it does not then it belong to some one els
Re: Help! His Genotype Is AA And His Wife's Genotype Is AS But Their Daughter is SS by Temmytea70(m): 12:41pm On May 12, 2015
I hope none of the parents are cross breed
Re: Help! His Genotype Is AA And His Wife's Genotype Is AS But Their Daughter is SS by tk4rd: 12:43pm On May 12, 2015
If that theory that states that "some genetic fragments of the men that a woman have had unprotected sex with in the past, still remains in her blood until she dies; and that such residual genetic fragments from these men can be passed to her future kids" is true, then this might be a case further affirming the validity of the theory.. It might be as a result of an AS or SS man the lady had dated in the past..
Demichaels:
My friend's 10 year Marriage is about to collapse.

His, my friend's genotype is AA and his wife's genotype is AS but their 4 year old daughter has been confirmed to have SS genotype by not less than 4 different medical experts. He confronted the wife and accused her of infidelity but she vehemently denied having any affair with another man. In other to prove her wrong, my friend subjected the little girl to a paternity test and there he got the shock of his life - the result showed he actually is the father of the girl. At first he accused the doctor of compromise because he is their family doctor and somehow relates to the wife. He then decided to go to another hospital to prove the paternity of the girl child there and then he got another shocker - the first result was actually correct. As It stands, my friend has consulted more than five other doctors outside the state of his residence and all Confirmed that the girl's genotype is SS and he actually is the father of the child despite his and the wife's genotype being as stated above. Even the doctor's are confused by the results as it negate conventional medical norm.

My question now is, experts in the house, is there anything that can lead to such unconventional biological flaw? Under what condition can AS and AA couple have an SS child? Can mutation lead to such condition? My friend insists on divorce because he doesn't believe the wife. Should he go ahead based on what we all know about genotype?

Please I need matured advice on this. This is a REAL LIFE SITUATION AND NO FICTION. I WOULD HAVE MENTIONED NAMES AND ADDRESS OF THE COUPLE BUT I DON'T HAVE THEIR PERMISSION YET. THIS IS HAPPENING RIGHT HERE IN PORT HARCOURT OLD GRA WE'RE LIVING

2 Likes

Re: Help! His Genotype Is AA And His Wife's Genotype Is AS But Their Daughter is SS by klax(m): 12:46pm On May 12, 2015
Pls dont let your home collapse all I would say is get a better Lab. to do the test again on you and you partner possibly wrong result was being handed to one of you. I have seen this kind of argument before but fortunately the wife who claimed AA is actually AS and funny enough the husband who was claiming innocent was AS too when a real standard Lab test was conducted.

Pls dont suspect your wife yet look for better Lab to do the test again for both of you ok.Goodluck

1 Like

Re: Help! His Genotype Is AA And His Wife's Genotype Is AS But Their Daughter is SS by J3da: 12:47pm On May 12, 2015
Demichaels:

His, my friend's genotype is AA and his wife's genotype is AS but their 4 year old daughter has been confirmed to have SS genotype by not less than 4 different medical experts. He confronted the wife and accused her of infidelity but she vehemently denied having any affair with another man. In other to prove her wrong, my friend subjected the little girl to a paternity test and there he got the shock of his life - the result showed he actually is the father of the girl. At first he accused the doctor of compromise because he is their family doctor and somehow relates to the wife. He then decided to go to another hospital to prove the paternity of the girl child there and then he got another shocker - the first result was actually correct. As It stands, my friend has consulted more than five other doctors outside the state of his residence and all Confirmed that the girl's genotype is SS and he actually is the father of the child despite his and the wife's genotype being as stated above. Even the doctor's are confused by the results as it negate conventional medical norm.

My question now is, experts in the house, is there anything that can lead to such unconventional biological flaw? Under what condition can AS and AA couple have an SS child? Can mutation lead to such condition? My friend insists on divorce because he doesn't believe the wife. Should he go ahead based on what we all know about genotype?

Please I need matured advice on this. This is a REAL LIFE SITUATION AND NO FICTION. I WOULD HAVE MENTIONED NAMES AND ADDRESS OF THE COUPLE BUT I DON'T HAVE THEIR PERMISSION YET. THIS IS HAPPENING RIGHT HERE IN PORT HARCOURT OLD GRA WE'RE LIVING

My both parents have AA genotype, when I was about to go to secondary sch my test result confirmed I was AA, 6years later, when I did medicals in uniport, the result came out AS I told dem it was wrong, I called my dad and he said it can't be possible, but I hv gone to 3 other hospitals and all results came back AS. So my dear I am still confuse but now I believe Anything is possible. Google gave me some answers though, now I knw abt th AA, AS, SS, AC, SC, and CC genotypes and possiblitity in changes. SS genotype can be changed though but the process is expensive. Your friend should accept the situation and find solution by doing researches instead of pointing fingers! I hope this helps http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/03/genotype-change-technology-now-in-nigeria-uniben-don/

2 Likes

Re: Help! His Genotype Is AA And His Wife's Genotype Is AS But Their Daughter is SS by toseen29: 12:47pm On May 12, 2015
Kindly advice your friend base on the opinions you've gathered from this thread. it is very possible but rare.
Re: Help! His Genotype Is AA And His Wife's Genotype Is AS But Their Daughter is SS by Nobody: 12:47pm On May 12, 2015
bettercreature:
Go and read your old post or i should help you to post it here

sugar what is it?
Re: Help! His Genotype Is AA And His Wife's Genotype Is AS But Their Daughter is SS by chigoizie7(m): 12:49pm On May 12, 2015
This is absolutely impossible biologically, but as it has happened, please tell ur friend that while he is looking for ans and solutions,that, that little girl is very fragile health wise, they should concentrate on her, they should monitor closely (crises might occur anytime). I know it is a trying moment for both him nd his wife,please they should not neglect the little girl now. She has been ascertained as and SS patient, from all I know about such patients,they are handled in the most careful manner, they should do such b4 they loose her. The wife might be right after-all, this might just be a case of gene mutation, we are in the world were anything can happen, there has always been a 1st time to everything or every situation, this girls case might just be one of the 1st times of such happenings.
Re: Help! His Genotype Is AA And His Wife's Genotype Is AS But Their Daughter is SS by fammo: 12:49pm On May 12, 2015
Does he have a brother who is AS? Might explain the paternity ish. Members of the same family have similar genetic make-up. Maybe the wife slept with his brother. Scientifically speaking that child does not belong to that Man!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help! His Genotype Is AA And His Wife's Genotype Is AS But Their Daughter is SS by Nobody: 12:49pm On May 12, 2015
DollyParton1:

And we know you dont know it.
Stop displaying your ignorance.

lipsrsealed
Re: Help! His Genotype Is AA And His Wife's Genotype Is AS But Their Daughter is SS by swezenberg(m): 12:49pm On May 12, 2015
Go for DNA test. That is the summary of my advice
Re: Help! His Genotype Is AA And His Wife's Genotype Is AS But Their Daughter is SS by Kennybiz27(m): 12:50pm On May 12, 2015
kay9:

I agree. Both himself and the wife, in fact.

But mehn, he needs to be careful and really wise here - what if the wife is telling the truth? I must be honest here though, from my limited knowledge of these things it is IMPOSSIBLE for a carrier and a non-carrier to produce a sickler - Mendel's laws of genetics would have to be rewritten. But you know what they say, never say never.

Now that I think of it, the gender of a foetus is dependent on similar genetic laws: the man gives one from his (xy) and the woman gives one from her (xx), so the offspring is either (xx) x-from dad and x-from mum, or (xy) y-from dad and x-from mum. But every once in a crazy while, an (xxy) or something weird like that is produced, and that's how you get hermaphrodites. So... oga needs to be careful with his decision. By the way, has the woman ever given him cause to doubt her fidelity? One doesnt just throw away a 10-yr-old marriage like that.
Xxy can be explained with the non-disjuction rule but I can't explain Aa and as producing ss no genetic law or objection can explain this but if they verify the result them it means that gene is controlled by three alleles like the blood group gene
Re: Help! His Genotype Is AA And His Wife's Genotype Is AS But Their Daughter is SS by SalC: 12:51pm On May 12, 2015
funshiba:

Hmmmm.... I got scared when i saw this post.... Its with heavy heart I say this is happening in my young marriage....My spouse is AA im AS. We had our baby in America this year they told us this, We asked for a recheck and it was almost same thing.

We decided to come to run our test in Nigeria, A test and a re-run says the same SS. The hospital advised we check again in few months as the infants undergo changes and the result cannot be confirmed.

We will wait till she is 6 months to 1yr old. But you dont have an idea of how scared i'm. I discussed with a medical consultant friend and he told me it is impossible that I should worry and check when she is one. but I'm scared to death and pray about this everyday. Medicine is abit funny cos I dont know possible this is medically and I dont want my only kid to be an example of such. Pray for us. Its not a good thing to happen.

Note that we are 100% sure of our status and had several rerun of test, I also trust my spouse with all my heart, Besides she is the AA.

I will advice this family that made the post to wait and not scatter the home cos of this. Accusation isnt the best and the wrongest approach to go about it.

Thanks
This ......
Re: Help! His Genotype Is AA And His Wife's Genotype Is AS But Their Daughter is SS by pestrolus2002(m): 12:51pm On May 12, 2015
Demichaels:

My friend I'm a doc, this can only happen in " African magic" yoruba..igbo or hausa. If both parents are confirmed to be AA and AS. The child can only get one gene for both parents. All their children will be AA n AS. For someone to have SS. Both parent must hv the S gene. In other ward s, that means the woman has met with someone else with S gene apart frm the husband. I hv seen something similar in my practice, & the lady confessed to me n said I shld not let the husband to know.

Re: Help! His Genotype Is AA And His Wife's Genotype Is AS But Their Daughter is SS by Abali1(m): 12:54pm On May 12, 2015
LyfeJennings:
Lemme share a very true life story with U.
Over 15years ago, my younger brother was ill and we went to the hospital and discovered he is SC (NOT SS), a very rare genotype. My mum is AS & my dad is AA. I hace only one AS in my sibling and the DNA confirmed my dad as the father of my brother. Very very rare genotype combo which science sometimes dont explain.

Moral of the story: your friend should take a chill pill
Your dad couldn't have been AA, because then he couldn't produce SC. Your dad must have been AC and your mum AS.

3 Likes

Re: Help! His Genotype Is AA And His Wife's Genotype Is AS But Their Daughter is SS by arsetalks(m): 12:55pm On May 12, 2015
IdiAmin1:
The kid probably has two fathers then. The wife should open up on what transpired immediately before or immediately after meeting her husband as at the time she conceived.

Belive this and believe anything, I no be doc. oo grin
Some of you are just daft. Imagine the mystery of the father right now and he then reading this nonsense form you. You need a head transplant. A brain transplant won't be enough. Your complete head needs to be changed.

Oponu afofun gbemu

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help! His Genotype Is AA And His Wife's Genotype Is AS But Their Daughter is SS by Nobody: 12:58pm On May 12, 2015
Simple advice. Last time I checked, DNA tests are not widely available from every doctor and quite expensive so doing it 4 times makes one to suspect that it was ABO blood group typing, which is widely available, that was done

The results of such test have proven in recent times to be inconsistent with DNA testing.

1 Like

Re: Help! His Genotype Is AA And His Wife's Genotype Is AS But Their Daughter is SS by APRIDE(m): 12:59pm On May 12, 2015
Behira:
shocked Dis is very rare

The child is definitely from another another man.
Re: Help! His Genotype Is AA And His Wife's Genotype Is AS But Their Daughter is SS by 9jatatafo(m): 12:59pm On May 12, 2015
Well some conditions may defile science once in some years but my candid advise is that the man, wife and their baby should visit a general hospital and do the genotype again. In fact he should try 2 to 3 general hospitals in Lagos. He can also try UCH for confirmation. There is a mistake somewhere. Don't trust women though, a woman could have 4 kids for her husband and in actual fact only 1 could be his true child.
Re: Help! His Genotype Is AA And His Wife's Genotype Is AS But Their Daughter is SS by 989900: 12:59pm On May 12, 2015
Beyond my wheelhouse . . . runs out of thread.
Re: Help! His Genotype Is AA And His Wife's Genotype Is AS But Their Daughter is SS by rabbi1234(m): 1:00pm On May 12, 2015
Sincerely dis case is strange but I believe sometin, God is d creator of everybody, wot dey needed now is to seek d face of d Lord, not d face or consultation of Doctor or human being, der is notin God can't do. Surely God wil ansa der prayer and d family will ve peace.
Re: Help! His Genotype Is AA And His Wife's Genotype Is AS But Their Daughter is SS by ubamfrank: 1:01pm On May 12, 2015
They have to report the matter to Ministry of Health for more research on the issue. Cos it's rare to hv that kind of situation

1 Like

Re: Help! His Genotype Is AA And His Wife's Genotype Is AS But Their Daughter is SS by Tvegas(m): 1:02pm On May 12, 2015
Why is he so quick to ask for divorce?

2 Likes

Re: Help! His Genotype Is AA And His Wife's Genotype Is AS But Their Daughter is SS by arsetalks(m): 1:02pm On May 12, 2015
LyfeJennings:
Lemme share a very true life story with U.
Over 15years ago, my younger brother was ill and we went to the hospital and discovered he is SC (NOT SS), a very rare genotype. My mum is AS & my dad is AA. I hace only one AS in my sibling and the DNA confirmed my dad as the father of my brother. Very very rare genotype combo which science sometimes dont explain.

Moral of the story: your friend should take a chill pill
I know someone in the same position. I just showed her this post of yours. Will sure clear some doubts.

1 Like

Re: Help! His Genotype Is AA And His Wife's Genotype Is AS But Their Daughter is SS by segend(m): 1:02pm On May 12, 2015
Demichaels:

From my little knowledge of genetics, I think it is impossible, the only explanation I can think of is, the child belongs to your friend's brother. I think paternity is usually base on how close their DNAs are, in which case the girl's DNA will be close to your friend's brother. Just a theory, let me read up if its possible
Re: Help! His Genotype Is AA And His Wife's Genotype Is AS But Their Daughter is SS by Leem4: 1:02pm On May 12, 2015
J3da:

My both parents have AA genotype, when I was about to go to secondary sch my test result confirmed I was AA, 6years later, when I did medicals in uniport, the result came out AS I told dem it was wrong, I called my dad and he said it can't be possible, but I hv gone to 3 other hospitals and all results came back AS. So my dear I am still confuse but now I believe Anything is possible. Google gave me some answers though, now I knw abt th AA, AS, SS, AC, SC, and CC genotypes and possiblitity in changes. SS genotype can be changed though but the process is expensive. Your friend should accept the situation and find solution by doing researches instead of pointing fingers! I hope this helps http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/03/genotype-change-technology-now-in-nigeria-uniben-don/
pls bro can u give me a link to see one of dose sites about genetic s, cos my dad na ac mum na as me cum be sc
Re: Help! His Genotype Is AA And His Wife's Genotype Is AS But Their Daughter is SS by Nobody: 1:02pm On May 12, 2015
It is possible through mutation. Read about it online and ask your doctor to enlighten you. Good luck.

2 Likes

Re: Help! His Genotype Is AA And His Wife's Genotype Is AS But Their Daughter is SS by pbs4real(m): 1:03pm On May 12, 2015
Behira:
shocked Dis is very rare
nyc dp. . .
Re: Help! His Genotype Is AA And His Wife's Genotype Is AS But Their Daughter is SS by bjdon: 1:03pm On May 12, 2015
This is quite strange. I can only still feel there is a mistake in one of the three tests. It is simply not possible for an AA mother to have an SS baby. Please let's try and deal with hard facts here, and leave out all the 'spiritual' stuff.
Re: Help! His Genotype Is AA And His Wife's Genotype Is AS But Their Daughter is SS by elipheleh(m): 1:03pm On May 12, 2015
Paternity tests results come in percentageof ssimilarities. 80% matching is a generally accepted pass mark. The brothers and first cousin mostly have strong match with a man's offspring because they are genetically strongly similar .

OP advice your friend to divorce that woman for she has fathered a daughter with his brother or male cousins. That child is not his although the paternity test shows a pass mark. It belongs to one of his AS brothers or cousins.

Alternatively

ley them go for a dna test. That one is more expensive and more reliable.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Man’s Affairs With Five Married Women Ends In Mysterious Skin Disease / Blood Transfusion: LASG Rescues Baby From Jehovah Witness Parents / Dr. Paul Enenche Working From 20th Floor Of Trump Towers (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.