Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,119 members, 7,818,349 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:19 PM

1999 CULT ATTACK ON OAU - What Really Happened!!! - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 1999 CULT ATTACK ON OAU - What Really Happened!!! (78342 Views)

What Really Happened At Lagos State University (20 Aug 2015) / Remembering The Lost Comrades- OAU July 10 Cult Attack / Cult Attack & Poison 17-year-old Student Over Refusal To Join Lesbian Fraternity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 1999 CULT ATTACK ON OAU - What Really Happened!!! by effty(m): 2:02am On May 14, 2015
BAN, NBM, Viks, etc death awaits you for the. blood you are sharing. For those sponsoring and defending them may bloody troubles engage you wherever you are. Peace.

SAY NO TO CULTISM.

1 Like

Re: 1999 CULT ATTACK ON OAU - What Really Happened!!! by isacolukay(m): 2:16am On May 14, 2015
3ace:
Phew! *heaves a sigh of relief* The day I ran like Ben Johnson into the thick, dark forest of OAU without thinking of the danger ahead. I mean what other danger can be brutal as the one I was running away from. Now 16 years and it seems like yesterday. May their soul rest in peace. I just hope Faro and Legacy are doing great. They both escaped death by a whisker.

Is this the same Dr 3As? Baba if na u, na Comrade Isaac.
Re: 1999 CULT ATTACK ON OAU - What Really Happened!!! by Nobody: 2:41am On May 14, 2015
semitunde:

Which Ahmed shittu? The one in chemical? Been a while I saw the dude.

Yes the short black Ahmed Shittu who graduated from the department of Chemical Eng O.A.U

1 Like

Re: 1999 CULT ATTACK ON OAU - What Really Happened!!! by kedukc(m): 4:10am On May 14, 2015
stpat1:
Reminds me of Black Wednesday in Ekpoma.
Your attention is needed in the haulage thread
Re: 1999 CULT ATTACK ON OAU - What Really Happened!!! by sonymerlot: 4:11am On May 14, 2015
This story has been flogged so many times here on nairaland. I have read different version from different people.However if you are not in the know as to what happened, you should refrain from peddling rumors.

I will give my own two cents on what I know and I stand to be corrected assuming there's anything to be corrected.
For starters, my family friend was dating one of the two ladies that had a party (birthday o) at mayfairhotel outside Oau campus on the Saturday the whole thing started in March 1999.

One of the girls is Igbo and the other Yoruba and there's no sense giving out names (dating two Ife/quarters boys) the two Ife based boys (family friend was one of them) organized the party for these nice & pretty ladies.

The party was the talk on campus this very day especially at moz hall. Meanwhile, another club party was happening out of town and the club boys were disappointed as they could not find enough babes for their own party as all the happening babes went for these ladies party.

The Igbo girl(one of the two ladies) had family or cousin with heavy membership in the cult and at the same time club boy with some cash (last I heard, the guy is in Yankee now)

His faction of cult/club were disappointed cos all the babes that promised to attend later declined and went for their fellow moz babes party. In short, the club/cult party became a flop and these guys later stormed Mayfair hotel and tried to dominate the party. But they were refused entry by (Fryo- the guy blamed by government for bola ige's assasination). Fryo's position as the bouncer was actualized by another cousin of the boyfriends to these ladies due to his connection with student union top decision makers.
These cult/club boys disrupted the party twice by switching off the main power to Mayfair hotel before everybody now decided to end the party for safety reasons fast forward- about 3am the friends to the boyfriends were returning back to main campus on road 1 in a Toyota Corolla driven by TJ in elect and he had passengers ( fellow Ife/quarters boys). One of the passenger, that lives on road seven playfully flashed a torch light while drunk i guess in to another car they were overtaking not knowing that these cult boys were the one inside.
The cult boys took offense and pursued the car straight to moz/Angola car park where the boys stopped and were mercilessly beaten up. All the passengers o.
By the time it was morning around 5-6am, the already beaten boys decided to seek student union help through the cousin that arranged Fryo.
This was how student union got involved. By 7am, student union boys already started mobilizing and gather intelligence on anybody that had any direct or remote link to any cult affiliation on campus. They started picking them one after the other. By 8-9am, they landed at the Mekomas on road 20 and stormed their boys quarters where all manner of gun (with bullets o), and machete/ aboki type of knives was found. Student union could not believe it and they decided it was no longer a maximum shi shi thing. George Iwilade for some reason could not contain it and the whole trouble started.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 1999 CULT ATTACK ON OAU - What Really Happened!!! by sonymerlot: 4:16am On May 14, 2015
I will continue the story. I just have to catch some sleep now. As I mentioned, I will answer any questions from anybody and I stand to be corrected.

I didn't go into details asper mentioning names- however if you are in the know- you perhaps know all these girls and boys (their names)
They are all married with children now. They all reside in the U.S. And UK. Last I heard, the ladies reside in the UK now.
Re: 1999 CULT ATTACK ON OAU - What Really Happened!!! by bruno47(m): 4:54am On May 14, 2015
I saw doctor 3ace's post,Can someone pls link me to Akinola Saburri,doctor 3ace intact the pacesetters in oau then?
Re: 1999 CULT ATTACK ON OAU - What Really Happened!!! by bruno47(m): 4:57am On May 14, 2015
isacolukay:

Is this the same Dr 3As? Baba if na u, na Comrade Isaac.
Is this Isiaka Element?If yes I av really missed you guys.
Re: 1999 CULT ATTACK ON OAU - What Really Happened!!! by jayoakland: 6:25am On May 14, 2015
UncleLondon:

2015 -1999 = x
Find x
X = 16 years ago.
X=-16 yrs ago.
Re: 1999 CULT ATTACK ON OAU - What Really Happened!!! by teegbaj101(m): 6:43am On May 14, 2015
ayodiya:
Why is the poster protecting d name of the confraternity?
yes y now it was in d dailies dat d dastardly act was perpetrated by d of africa popularly known as d or d ayes.d mode of execution n tools used symbolize it.d fear of these guys then was d beggining of wisdom d carried out a similar attack in unilag in d late 90,s on one guy too n d nigga though a rival cultist was miraculously ressurected cos mehnnn I could av sworn d guy died
Re: 1999 CULT ATTACK ON OAU - What Really Happened!!! by onyxo76(m): 6:49am On May 14, 2015
sonymerlot:
This story has been flogged so many times here on nairaland. I have read different version from different people.However if you are not in the know as to what happened, you should refrain from peddling rumors.

I will give my own two cents on what I know and I stand to be corrected assuming there's anything to be corrected.
For starters, my family friend was dating one of the two ladies that had a party (birthday o) at mayfairhotel outside Oau campus on the Saturday the whole thing started in March 1999.

One of the girls is Igbo and the other Yoruba and there's no sense giving out names (dating two Ife/quarters boys) the two Ife based boys (family friend was one of them) organized the party for these nice & pretty ladies.

The party was the talk on campus this very day especially at moz hall. Meanwhile, another club party was happening out of town and the club boys were disappointed as they could not find enough babes for their own party as all the happening babes went for these ladies party.

The Igbo girl(one of the two ladies) had family or cousin with heavy membership in the cult and at the same time club boy with some cash (last I heard, the guy is in Yankee now)

His faction of cult/club were disappointed cos all the babes that promised to attend later declined and went for their fellow moz babes party. In short, the club/cult party became a flop and these guys later stormed Mayfair hotel and tried to dominate the party. But they were refused entry by (Fryo- the guy blamed by government for bola ige's assasination). Fryo's position as the bouncer was actualized by another cousin of the boyfriends to these ladies due to his connection with student union top decision makers.
These cult/club boys disrupted the party twice by switching off the main power to Mayfair hotel before everybody now decided to end the party for safety reasons fast forward- about 3am the friends to the boyfriends were returning back to main campus on road 1 in a Toyota Corolla driven by TJ in elect and he had passengers ( fellow Ife/quarters boys). One of the passenger, that lives on road seven playfully flashed a torch light while drunk i guess in to another car they were overtaking not knowing that these cult boys were the one inside.
The cult boys took offense and pursued the car straight to moz/Angola car park where the boys stopped and were mercilessly beaten up. All the passengers o.
By the time it was morning around 5-6am, the already beaten boys decided to seek student union help through the cousin that arranged Fryo.
This was how student union got involved. By 7am, student union boys already started mobilizing and gather intelligence on anybody that had any direct or remote link to any cult affiliation on campus. They started picking them one after the other. By 8-9am, they landed at the Mekomas on road 20 and stormed their boys quarters where all manner of gun (with bullets o), and machete/ aboki type of knives was found. Student union could not believe it and they decided it was no longer a maximum shi shi thing. George Iwilade for some reason could not contain it and the whole trouble started.
this is the most accurate version i have read thus far...the boys involved were picked up very close to where i stayed then so i witnessed their pickup ...very sad story

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1999 CULT ATTACK ON OAU - What Really Happened!!! by jesicajonna(m): 6:54am On May 14, 2015
Gboyeboy:

The name of the confraternity is the only part the OP somehow managed to skip.
!!!! 7 plus 7 - 7 equals ? ....d answer gives u d name:::if u dogged enof
Re: 1999 CULT ATTACK ON OAU - What Really Happened!!! by onyxo76(m): 6:55am On May 14, 2015
sonymerlot:
I will continue the story. I just have to catch some sleep now. As I mentioned, I will answer any questions from anybody and I stand to be corrected.

I didn't go into details asper mentioning names- however if you are in the know- you perhaps know all these girls and boys (their names)
They are all married with children now. They all reside in the U.S. And UK. Last I heard, the ladies reside in the UK now.
the guys yes...ladies..no....did you stay on road 20a then ? those guys actually gave me lifts to campus a few times from the junction of road 12...
Re: 1999 CULT ATTACK ON OAU - What Really Happened!!! by onyxo76(m): 7:03am On May 14, 2015
3ace:
Phew! *heaves a sigh of relief* The day I ran like Ben Johnson into the thick, dark forest of OAU without thinking of the danger ahead. I mean what other danger can be brutal as the one I was running away from. Now 16 years and it seems like yesterday. May their soul rest in peace. I just hope Faro and Legacy are doing great. They both escaped death by a whisker.
my classmate and colleague ,how life treating you...good to see you here.

1 Like

Re: 1999 CULT ATTACK ON OAU - What Really Happened!!! by snowland(m): 7:03am On May 14, 2015
George Yemi Iwilade will forever remain a hero.I'm from the same town with him (Iwo Osun State) and we attended the same church, (a popular baptist church at water works area). Anybody that is familiar with Iwo town would know the church I'm talking about. His family stayed like 4 blocks from my house. In fact, we used to play soccer together in front of his house. He was like a big brother to me and I really felt his death.

He was such an intelligent guy. In fact, intelligence runs in his family's blood. His younger siblings, Bose(graduated from Lautech as Chemical Engineer ), Akinwumi(Graduated from the faculty of Biz Admin, OAU) and Akintayo (graduated from the faculty of Law, OAU) and their last born, Akinola,(dont really have much info on him because he was young when I left home) were extremely brilliant.
I will never forget that day his corpse was brought to the church for burial. The whole Iwo town was at standstill. I doubt if any president of Nigeria can command such crowd after death.

I also graduated from OAU. I entered in 2003 and graduated in 2008. I stayed in Angola Hall in 100 level and Awolowo Hall for the remaining 4 years. Each time I went to eat and read at the George Yemi Iwilade library, I always remembered him. The whole of my curch will forever remember him, the whole Iwo town will never forget him and I believe, the whole Nigeria will never forget George Yemi Iwilade aka "Afrika".

RIP bro.

12 Likes

Re: 1999 CULT ATTACK ON OAU - What Really Happened!!! by Nobody: 7:35am On May 14, 2015
alotofgrace:
CUltism in unis are like ogboni cos they have patrons and matrons, who could be profs,politicians or the elites.

Reminds me of the June 12 building case in uniben

Those were the days when MEN were in school

tell us what happened there...
Re: 1999 CULT ATTACK ON OAU - What Really Happened!!! by Nobody: 7:38am On May 14, 2015
Lewisj:
This is "moi moi", compared to what happened in AAU 1999 and 2002. We will never forget. #SAYNOTOCULTISM#.

tell us what happened

1 Like

Re: 1999 CULT ATTACK ON OAU - What Really Happened!!! by Nobody: 7:44am On May 14, 2015
stpat1:
Reminds me of Black Wednesday in Ekpoma.

tell us about it

1 Like

Re: 1999 CULT ATTACK ON OAU - What Really Happened!!! by Nobody: 7:48am On May 14, 2015
kingston247:
Samething took place...8th oct,2003 in my skool..AAU ekpoma..8 died dat night.....

talk about it

1 Like

Re: 1999 CULT ATTACK ON OAU - What Really Happened!!! by kokozain(m): 8:00am On May 14, 2015
And this was his replied to the attack in 2013 during the course of his interviewed by newswatc

What will you describe as your major
achievements during the period you held
sway as the Vice Chancellor of the
university?
During my period as the Vice Chancellor,
the university was number two in Africa
for five consecutive years. Then, only
Sterling burg in South Africa was ahead
of us because it was purely a white
university. At the time I became the Vice
Chancellor, the image of the university,
in terms of radicalism and violence, was
very much. But because I was one of the
foundation students and was involved in
the students’ unionism, the Council
thought they needed someone like me;
so, I got the appointment. And for seven
and a half years, cultism was not
thriving. As a matter of fact, I had to
dismiss a lot of cult leaders on the
campus. Though they were hanging
around on the pretext of students’
unionism, they were really penetrating
students’ unionism for power.
In July, 1999, there was a case of a
serious crisis on the campus, where
some cultists struck and murdered five
students’ union leaders namely George
Yemi Iwilade (a.k.a Africa), the then
Secretary-General of the Students’
Union; Ekede Efe; Tunde Oke; Yemi
Ajiteru and Eviano Ekelemu.
But it has always been said that you
masterminded their killing. How will you
react to this?
I have heard so many allegations that I
was involved in the murder of those
students. But let me, first of all, say this
that the face-off was a case of cultists
against cultists. There was no students’
unionism on the campus then. So, all
those who were parading themselves as
students’ union leaders were all cultists.
I was a one-man army. The cultists were
attacking one another. I did not allow
that during my tenure. I made sure I rid
the campus of cultism. Many of them
were punished and expelled, but they
were still parading themselves on the
campus, though not as students.
The whole story initially was sponsored
because of the contest for the position of
VC, which was really tight. Everyone
wanted to be the Vice Chancellor when I
was leaving because I had already
indicated my resignation. I was already
given a notice by the Council that I was
retiring. Before I became the VC, there
was a cult crisis and a student was killed
in the Students’ Union Government
building, which led to the removal of the
then VC. I was not even in the country
during the period you are talking about in
1999; I was abroad representing my
country in some conferences. So, the
story was sponsored. But before I
returned from overseas, a lot of publicity
had been done and the story had gone
far.
Do you suspect any one behind the
attack on your personality?
By the time I was leaving the post of the
VC, 39 people had applied for the job
because everyone thought it was an easy
job and they wanted to take the glory of
the image of OAU, being a first-class
university. At the end of the day, seven
people were shortlisted: four of them had
served as my deputy Vice Chancellors at
one point or the other and they were all
committed, including my former student,
Prof. Femi Ajibola, a bright, cerebral and
productive young scholar. Indeed, I
believed he was quite capable of taking
the university to higher grounds.
Regardless, I decided to remain
functionally neutral so that others could
judge him dispassionately.
On the day of the selection, I informed
the Council that I would be unable to
participate in the selection process, so I
drove out of town to my home in Ilesha
to while away time. When the Council
rose, the Pro- Chancellor, Hon Justice
A.N Aniagolu (rtd), led the entire Council
to announce the result that Prof Ajibola
emerged as number one candidate. 11 of
the 15 members scored him highest,
when all the marks were added. Ajibola
led by a clear margin. By the next day,
the Council forwarded Prof. Ajibola’s
nomination to the visitor as the next
Vice-Chancellor. This, indeed, was the
beginning of the problem of 1999. Some
said Ajibola was only 45 years and was
too young. A group made an attempt to
eliminate Prof. Ajibola through an
assassination attempt by cult boys. In
fact, armed robbers were sent to my
house in Ibadan twice, but I escaped. "[b]And this was his replied to the attack in 2013 during the course of his interviewed by newswatch
university?
react to this?
VC, which was really tight. Everyone
wanted to be the Vice Chancellor when I
was leaving because I had already
indicated my resignation. I was already
given a notice by the Council that I was
retiring. Before I became the VC, there
was a cult crisis and a student was killed
in the Students’ Union Government
building, which led to the removal of the
then VC. I was not even in the country
during the period you are talking about in
1999; I was abroad representing my
country in some conferences. So, the
story was sponsored. But before I
returned from overseas, a lot of publicity
had been done and the story had gone
far.
Do you suspect any one behind the
attack on your personality?
By the time I was leaving the post of the
VC, 39 people had applied for the job
because everyone thought it was an easy
job and they wanted to take the glory of
the image of OAU, being a first-class
university. At the end of the day, seven
people were shortlisted: four of them had
served as my deputy Vice Chancellors at
one point or the other and they were all
committed, including my former student,
Prof. Femi Ajibola, a bright, cerebral and
productive young scholar. Indeed, I
believed he was quite capable of taking
the university to higher grounds.
Regardless, I decided to remain
functionally neutral so that others could
judge him dispassionately.
On the day of the selection, I informed
the Council that I would be unable to
participate in the selection process, so I
drove out of town to my home in Ilesha
to while away time. When the Council
rose, the Pro- Chancellor, Hon Justice
A.N Aniagolu (rtd), led the entire Council
to announce the result that Prof Ajibola
emerged as number one candidate. 11 of
the 15 members scored him highest,
when all the marks were added. Ajibola
led by a clear margin. By the next day,
the Council forwarded Prof. Ajibola’s
nomination to the visitor as the next
Vice-Chancellor. This, indeed, was the
beginning of the problem of 1999. Some
said Ajibola was only 45 years and was
too young. A group made an attempt to
eliminate Prof. Ajibola through an
assassination attempt by cult boys. In
fact, armed robbers were sent to my
house in Ibadan twice, but I escaped. "[/b]And this was his replied to the attack in 2013 during the course of his interviewed by newswatch
university?
react to this?
VC, which was.
Re: 1999 CULT ATTACK ON OAU - What Really Happened!!! by isacolukay(m): 8:12am On May 14, 2015
bruno47:

Is this Isiaka Element?If yes I av really missed you guys.

Omo see OAU men. U just reminded me of Comrade Isiaka Adegbile. He was allegedly disowned by his father for the sake of the struggle.
Re: 1999 CULT ATTACK ON OAU - What Really Happened!!! by alotofgrace(m): 8:22am On May 14, 2015
homesteady:

So there is history behind the name of that building? Please tell me!

I actually wasn't in school then...but I will get d details. I knew it involved sug, cult group and some lecturers or so... Will let u know.
Re: 1999 CULT ATTACK ON OAU - What Really Happened!!! by alotofgrace(m): 8:23am On May 14, 2015
neroflo57:

tell us what happened there...

I actually wasn't in school then...but I will get d details. I knew it involved sug, cult group and some lecturers or so... Will let u know
Re: 1999 CULT ATTACK ON OAU - What Really Happened!!! by Deehvahrzz(f): 8:26am On May 14, 2015
ayokunlei:

all being said,... Oau or Funaab peace no reach Unilorin's own...
Must u guys always come here to show off what is not? Unable is not as safe as you think. I can tell you because I know. And you can't compare it to Ife. Our safety in Ife was something that was won. They didn't hand it over like Unaab or Uniilorin students. You guys don't know the meaning of struggle.
The Oau we are talking about, where you can go to spider at 3am and walk back with ur ears plugged and not for once get scared. Where praying is sweetest in d midnight with your soul knowing you are safe. I remember Afrika's tenth year anniversary at Anglo moz. I cried knowing some lives were lost for me to enjoy this calm. The Oau I know with no oppression. Let ur dad be a senator, dats in ur house. The equality amongst students, the calm, no threats, no hassle, the organised and ever conscious students... Am glad I went there. Am a proud Oau Alumni...
If you didn't go to Oau, don't try to make sense of the safety we r talking about. You might not get it. God bless the souls of the faithful departed.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 1999 CULT ATTACK ON OAU - What Really Happened!!! by ogundeleai(m): 8:28am On May 14, 2015
This story is a sad reminiscence to me because it was the day my friend yemi ajiteru was murdered.. We work together in the same company before he secure hard fought admission to OAU but the rest is story today..
Yemi! You are greatly missed but we are console that you made significant impact before your exit.. RIP

1 Like

Re: 1999 CULT ATTACK ON OAU - What Really Happened!!! by pamcode(m): 8:34am On May 14, 2015
see traffic, man am waiting for those who promised us history o, May God protect us nigerian youth really died between the late nineties and early 2000s. Reminds me of the Ali must go struggle where soldiers stormed oau and started killing some stundents, my Dad said he ran out of Awo tru the jungle

1 Like

Re: 1999 CULT ATTACK ON OAU - What Really Happened!!! by Nobody: 9:01am On May 14, 2015
LET THIS MATTER REST OR BETTER STILL DIE PLS
EVIANO EKELEMU WAS MY UNCLE AND AS I READ THIS STORY FROM MY OFFICE DESK I'M IN TEARS,STOP BRINGING BACK THESE MEMORIES
WE HAVE MOVED ON.

4 Likes

Re: 1999 CULT ATTACK ON OAU - What Really Happened!!! by adebayour26: 9:25am On May 14, 2015
optional123:
i made sure i read it line by line........and i am nt a student of o.a.u.....
if d story really went as written..

he should also be held a syspect.
You are still not getting it, babygrin
Going through the history of OAU, Prof Roger Makanjuola was one of d best VC d institutiin ever had.

3 Likes

Re: 1999 CULT ATTACK ON OAU - What Really Happened!!! by adebayour26: 9:39am On May 14, 2015
Deehvahrzz:

Must u guys always come here to show off what is not? Unable is not as safe as you think. I can tell you because I know. And you can't compare it to Ife. Our safety in Ife was something that was won. They didn't hand it over like Unaab or Uniilorin students. You guys don't know the meaning of struggle.
The Oau we are talking about, where you can go to spider at 3am and walk back with ur ears plugged and not for once get scared. Where praying is sweetest in d midnight with your soul knowing you are safe. I remember Afrika's tenth year anniversary at Anglo moz. I cried knowing some lives were lost for me to enjoy this calm. The Oau I know with no oppression. Let ur dad be a senator, dats in ur house. The equality amongst students, the calm, no threats, no hassle, the organised and ever conscious students... Am glad I went there. Am a proud Oau Alumni...
If you didn't go to Oau, don't try to make sense of the safety we r talking about. You might not get it. God bless the souls of the faithful departed.

[size=28]GBAAAM!!!
You have said it all[/size]

2 Likes

Re: 1999 CULT ATTACK ON OAU - What Really Happened!!! by superstar1(m): 9:45am On May 14, 2015
The meeting for the attack was held at the SRC chamber of University of Ibadan.

Some people knew the attack was going to happen in Ife but not the timing.

I served with one of the guys that was arrested in Rivers. He was a son of a FUTA professor. He said most guys that took part in the attack were arrested by DSS. Some without powerful backings were outrightly shot, while the luckier ones were taken to court for more than 4years and they were silently released.

2 Likes

Re: 1999 CULT ATTACK ON OAU - What Really Happened!!! by SurePresident: 9:53am On May 14, 2015

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

20 Best Course With Best Employment In Nigeria / Bride In Wedding Gown Writes UNILAG Masters Entrance Exam / Chrisland Breaks Silence On Sex Scandal, 5 Pupils Misbehaved In Dubai

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.