Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,736 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:36 PM

8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt (35952 Views)

A Nairalander Visit To The Moremi Statue Of Liberty.(With Pictures ) / My Experience on my First visit To Port Harcourt / My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by Macelliot(m): 8:41pm On May 13, 2015
hopeforcharles:

Thank
You, I have lived in Port Harcourt for close to two years, I didn't see anything special about it, it lacks proper infrastructure and it's housing, transport, cloth and food are expensive, the only thing I like about it is the greenery sceneries, the ikwerri people are jobless and hostile, imagine my landlord fighting me because I am always wearing new cloths and my swag was smooth, he threaten to blind me, you are prospering they beef you, a lot of cultists and killings, a lot of their youths are high grade robbers and theif (no offence but true talk) they broke my friends shop took all his phones and laptop that he sales and the landlord says he didn't hear shit during the robbery despite the fact that he lived in the compound and others outside heard,
There is no good night life there, I live in phalga area, a lot of times I will be roaming around Presidential to see if I will enjoy night life only to be disappointed, just visit kano here and you will know what is called night life.
Thanks man...
Ikwerreboy, come and see for yourself.....
Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by Jchi9876: 8:41pm On May 13, 2015
[s]
hopeforcharles:

Thank
You, I have lived in Port Harcourt for close to two years, I didn't see anything special about it, it lacks proper infrastructure and it's housing, transport, cloth and food are expensive, the only thing I like about it is the greenery sceneries, the ikwerri people are jobless and hostile, imagine my landlord fighting me because I am always wearing new cloths and my swag was smooth, he threaten to blind me, you are prospering they beef you, a lot of cultists and killings, a lot of their youths are high grade robbers and theif (no offence but true talk) they broke my friends shop took all his phones and laptop that he sales and the landlord says he didn't hear shit during the robbery despite the fact that he lived in the compound and others outside heard,
There is no good night life there, I live in phalga area, a lot of times I will be roaming around Presidential to see if I will enjoy night life only to be disappointed, just visit kano here and you will know what is called night life.
[/s]

Guy go sitdon for dirty you talking balderdash
Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by Macelliot(m): 8:43pm On May 13, 2015
slimmy05:
pH is not meant for the low income earners if you're not from the state neither is it meant for "aka gum". Ph is my home anytime.
Are you Ikwerre?
Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by Macelliot(m): 8:48pm On May 13, 2015
TS2:
Now I can confirm that many of you on Nairaland do not know what real beauty is.

What about PH distinguishes it as a city with architectural masterpieces? Am I not from PH again?

That's how one clown yesterday put pictures of Umuahia up and people were gushing about a beauty that was non-existent.

Rubbish.
What's your problem?
Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by swapT(m): 8:50pm On May 13, 2015
expert1000:
Sweet babes yakpa
for wia??

1 Like

Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by Macelliot(m): 8:53pm On May 13, 2015
bash4us:
The locals r very arrogant. Owing to b fact dt settlers r at their mercy coz of d job opportunities abound.
That's why you hardly find the d locals outside their localities coz they cant withstand been treated as they treat others.
Ph is over-hyped
Thanks man!
Ikwerreboy come and see again. You people are Worst...

1 Like

Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by replete(m): 9:23pm On May 13, 2015
Keneking:
Ok...

Points 6,7 and 8 are correct observations.

There are no real super architectural designs in that city. So much siren blaring in the city...

You forgot to mention that the city is over-hyped.

Jonathan abandoned key federal projects e.g port harcourt airport.

This Jonathan Government sef sad
and imagine he passes through the airport every time on his way to otueke smh
Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by preciousjun(m): 9:30pm On May 13, 2015
9jvirgin:
I am around Ada George, who they my backyard.
I dey mile four by ikwerre road
Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by austinbrown: 9:37pm On May 13, 2015
spencekat:
You cannot compare PH to Aba
why?
Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by danbrowndmf(m): 9:40pm On May 13, 2015
folabayo1:
Hav been to ph 3times and things are really expensive there undecided
Plus I don't see anything special about ph
which part of porthacourt did u visit? It all depends...
Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by folabayo1(f): 9:46pm On May 13, 2015
danbrowndmf:
which part of porthacourt did u visit? It all depends...
woji, rumokri and the 1st and 2nd artilleries.
Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by spencekat(m): 9:58pm On May 13, 2015
shocked
Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by Oluwaplumpie(m): 10:19pm On May 13, 2015
OKNkanu:
Port Harcourt is a tourist’s dream destination. The city has been transformed into a stunning haven for business and tourism. With a wide variety of attractions and historical landmarks, you can spend a month in the ‘Garden city and not get bored.
Port Harcourt is one those places where anyone can feel at home. Even if you are visiting Port Harcourt for the first time, you are not going to miss out of the dramas that the city has to offer you. It offers boundless opportunities for unforgettable experiences for locals and visitors alike.
If you are yet to visit this multicultural city that is flourishing with affluent history and tourist attractions, here are 8 things you notice on your first visit to Port Harcourt:

1. Magnificent architecture and incredible vistas.

Port Harcourt is a city with urban pleasures; it offers a combination of outstanding architecture and incredible
vistas, with natural beauty in an unspoilt coherence. The city has fascinating scenery and it’s beautiful at first sight; it gives you an amazing feeling – the kind that makes you feel like you just entered a place full of everyday fairy tale.

2. City of Hustlers

Everyone wants to have a taste of the quantum petro-dollar that comes out from Rivers state. There is no part of the city that you would not see people struggling to survive and pay off their different bills. This is one city that has a lot of smart people who can cut corners to achieve their goals. They all want to achieve a slice of the next big thing.

3. A Destination for Night Owls.

The night in Port Harcourt is the beginning of another day for the residents; you cannot miss the vibrant and exciting nightlife in the city. A lot of silent places in the daytime suddenly come alive with music and activities that drag night owls from their homes to hubs, joints and hotels.

4. Luxury Lifestyle

Port Harcourt lifestyle is themed by entertainment, expensive houses and cars, relaxation and rejuvenation. Everyone living in the city wishes for their own piece of the oil money to build their own paradise. Port Harcourt is a dynamic business domain and a well laid back city to enjoy life. The intimidation of wealth can easily be seen around and the various classes of people can be identified within seconds.

5. Port Harcourt is not as expensive as they say

The truth is things are not really cheap but that does not mean that Port Harcourt is notoriously expensive as
rumours may have. You would notice that you can still get a lot of affordable things if you really know where to go for them.

6. The city is well laid-back

A lot of people coming here the first time may expect to find the craziness of rushing for buses or cabs. The commuters are calm and enter their choice of transport system in an
orderly manner. This trait does not end only with its transportation but in every aspect of lifestyle of the people.
We bet you that some Lagosians who are fond of rushing into buses would find this strange.

7. The Traffic Gridlock.

You just cannot miss the terrible traffic gridlock of this city. Some people may prefer Lagos when it comes to traffic gridlock. The reason is they can easily escape it with the
Lagos Bus Rapid Transit System or even the new train system that is functioning now. Not in Port Harcourt. You just have to prepare your mind to be patient and literally move a little slower than a snail especially during the rush hours; morning and evening.

8. Transportation drivers are daredevils.

Impatience is the watchword for those on the road, apart from the market where everywhere looks rowdy; the major roads of Port Harcourt are filled with daredevils who have no regards to orderliness. You would notice cars comfortably climbing the pavements to run away from any looming traffic.
ure lying dude! I came to this city from lag in January and I'm gonna list the first things I noticed IN THE FIRST WEEK:
1. Roast Fish and Plantain almost at every junction
2. Unnecessarily expensive public transport
3. Poor government... for all the noise he had been making... Amaechi is a scam.
4. Super-rich people who love to have fun
5. Poor power supply
6. One of Nigeria's worst airports with dilapidated structures. How that shit is an international airport beats my imagination.

I could go on, but u get my drift. Incredible architecture my foot.

2 Likes

Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by tammie24: 10:25pm On May 13, 2015
TeOwl:
Nobody hates South-south. The current battles on Nairaland are Yoruba vs Igbo and APC vs PDP.

I tell u!!!
Chop knuckle oo jare
Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by danbrowndmf(m): 10:27pm On May 13, 2015
folabayo1:
woji, rumokri and the 1st and 2nd artilleries.
i stay in woji....porthacourt is over hype,buh it a beautiful city if u go to there major town...

Did u visit eliada estate in artillary?(a cool estate)
Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by COMPAQ(m): 10:36pm On May 13, 2015
OKNkanu:
Port Harcourt is a tourist’s dream destination. The city has been transformed into a stunning haven for business and tourism. With a wide variety of attractions and historical landmarks, you can spend a month in the ‘Garden city and not get bored.
Port Harcourt is one those places where anyone can feel at home. Even if you are visiting Port Harcourt for the first time, you are not going to miss out of the dramas that the city has to offer you. It offers boundless opportunities for unforgettable experiences for locals and visitors alike.
If you are yet to visit this multicultural city that is flourishing with affluent history and tourist attractions, here are 8 things you notice on your first visit to Port Harcourt:

Port Harcourt is a city with urban pleasures; it offers a combination of outstanding architecture and incredible
vistas, with natural beauty in an unspoilt coherence. The city has fascinating scenery and it’s beautiful at first sight; it gives you an amazing feeling – the kind that makes you feel like you just entered a place full of everyday fairy tale.

2. City of Hustlers

Everyone wants to have a taste of the quantum petro-dollar that comes out from Rivers state. There is no part of the city that you would not see people struggling to survive and pay off their different bills. This is one city that has a lot of smart people who can cut corners to achieve their goals. They all want to achieve a slice of the next big thing.

The night in Port Harcourt is the beginning of another day for the residents; you cannot miss the vibrant and exciting nightlife in the city. A lot of silent places in the daytime suddenly come alive with music and activities that drag night owls from their homes to hubs, joints and hotels.

4. Luxury Lifestyle

Port Harcourt lifestyle is themed by entertainment, expensive houses and cars, relaxation and rejuvenation. Everyone living in the city wishes for their own piece of the oil money to build their own paradise. Port Harcourt is a dynamic business domain and a well laid back city to enjoy life. The intimidation of wealth can easily be seen around and the various classes of people can be identified within seconds.

The truth is things are not really cheap but that does not mean that Port Harcourt is notoriously expensive as
rumours may have. You would notice that you can still get a lot of affordable things if you really know where to go for them.

A lot of people coming here the first time may expect to find the craziness of rushing for buses or cabs. The commuters are calm and enter their choice of transport system in an
orderly manner. This trait does not end only with its transportation but in every aspect of lifestyle of the people.
We bet you that some Lagosians who are fond of rushing into buses would find this strange.

7. The Traffic Gridlock.

You just cannot miss the terrible traffic gridlock of this city. Some people may prefer Lagos when it comes to traffic gridlock. The reason is they can easily escape it with the
Lagos Bus Rapid Transit System or even the new train system that is functioning now. Not in Port Harcourt. You just have to prepare your mind to be patient and literally move a little slower than a snail especially during the rush hours; morning and evening.

Impatience is the watchword for those on the road, apart from the market where everywhere looks rowdy; the major roads of Port Harcourt are filled with daredevils who have no regards to orderliness. You would notice cars comfortably climbing the pavements to run away from any looming traffic.

Ph a tourists dream destination!! What on earth are you talking about? Ph is a glorified slum of a city. Every part of every street is for traders to put tent and be selling stuff. I was really expecting a cosmopolitan city when I first came here, but was very disappointed the first time I came. Amaechi had even tried a lot for the city what with many road dualisations, other wise it would have been an even worse city.

1 Like

Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by Nobody: 10:41pm On May 13, 2015
cheesycheesy

tammie24:
I tell u!!!
Chop knuckle oo jare
Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by hopeforcharles(m): 10:47pm On May 13, 2015
Oluwaplumpie:
ure lying dude! I came to this city from lag in January and I'm gonna list the first things I noticed IN THE FIRST WEEK:
3. Poor government... for all the noise he had been making... Amaechi is a scam.
5. Poor power supply
6. One of Nigeria's worst airports with dilapidated structures. How that shit is an international airport beats my imagination.

i get ur drift, just as much as i get my drift on Asphalt 8 and Gta3 andriod. The city is nice no doubth, but seriously over hyped. I lived around garrison area, and i do business that takes me almost round the city, its a nice city i kinda enjoyed electricity, but the people there are a bit hostile and its all man for himself. They nearly liquidated my investment, there is a place where they issue fake cheques, where ur debtor fights you on your money till now they owe me alot, that place is cat eat cat.

1 Like

Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by Seunpaul01(m): 11:01pm On May 13, 2015
RickRichards:
I hear PH people are kinda loud, and I like to keep the decibels in check, as I hate noise.

D op is a full grown liar. 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7 nd 8 are all lies. when it is 9pm u will nt be able to count 10 vehicles. most part of ph has no light. it is just as boring as hell. noise for where, it is nt like lagos where most barber's shops play music. ph is too too overhype. i current stay nd skul dere.

3 Likes

Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by Seunpaul01(m): 11:08pm On May 13, 2015
Oluwaplumpie:
5. Poor power supply

Thank u! The op just dey feed nlanders wt lies. I currently school dere. Christmas time is the worst. I think d op is a kind of villager dat just visit a city.

1 Like

Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by Seunpaul01(m): 11:13pm On May 13, 2015
Jchi9876:
[s][/s]
Guy go sitdon for dirty you talking balderdash
Be sincere, his comment is true. no b only u dey for ph.

1 Like

Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by oluezekiel(m): 11:20pm On May 13, 2015
trapQ:
Average hotels Didn't just say that.. Port Harcourt has the most expensive hotels in Nigeria.. Ask around, presidential, novotel, and the likes... Even abuja businessmen know this.

You called that novotel at air force and that old presidential hotel at Aba road expensive? My first day in PH was a disappointment....

2 Likes

Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by oluezekiel(m): 11:26pm On May 13, 2015
COMPAQ:

Ph a tourists dream destination!! What on earth are you talking about? Ph is a glorified slum of a city. Every part of every street is for traders to put tent and be selling stuff. I was really expecting a cosmopolitan city when I first came here, but was very disappointed the first time I came. Amaechi had even tried a lot for the city what with many road dualisations, other wise it would have been an even worse city.
Help me tell them. When I first arrived ph 2 years ago, most of the roads are very bad with a lane. People should compare ph to Sango/Otta/Agbara in Ogun state and never compare her with Lagos, that will be an insult to the centre of excellence.

1 Like

Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by HopeAtHand: 11:44pm On May 13, 2015
PH is Nigerian in all aspects.

The 'foreign' name should not deceive anyone.
The city is a mixture of the good, the bad, the ugly and the in-betweens.

The large influx of people looking for oil and related jobs made the city grow uncontrollably..The state govt town planners failed in their duty of ensuring proper controlled urban growth.

In all, the touted 'garden city' is all hype, the only truth about PH is the presence of oil and gas companies and their rich employees...that in itself sustains a rich nightlife.
Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by magicfingers009: 11:57pm On May 13, 2015
Lies. Lies upon lies. Which beautiful architecture is in PH? PH is a city of thugs. A city where cab men drive with reckless abandon having no regard for traffic rules. How would a city be void of traffic lights?

A town were ex militants are empowered under d disguise of T-mariv (a Behind name for Agberos and touts). A town crawling with ladies with easy of no virtues. There's nothing fascinating about PH.

The light situation in PH is the most epileptic in the country. I stand to be corrected. I have lived in more that 10 cities in Nigeria and I rank PHC one of the lowest.

2 Likes

Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by Nobody: 12:02am On May 14, 2015
9jvirgin:
I am around Ada George, who they my backyard.
I pack wella for Rumuigbo.
Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by magicfingers009: 12:04am On May 14, 2015
Oluwaplumpie:
5. Poor power supply

Exactly my point. This OP is seriously high on crack. This town is crawling with roasted fish and yam at every junction. The supposed GRA isn't better than Yaba in Lagos. So noisy and disorganized. Except for the old GRA. Light is nothing to write home about. And the OP said Lagos traffic is better. He must be really high. The agberos in this town are former militants that even go as far as harassing private car owners. Well, its not far fetched as one cannot distinguish between a cab and a not-so-flashy private car.

1 Like

Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by Nobody: 12:05am On May 14, 2015
M4gunners:
Garden City is my destination when am old. When enter Rumuora in the night, u forget any other city in Nigeria and would want to live in Garden City.

Wetin u dey go do for Rumuola @ night. Lol
Badtguy!
Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by Nobody: 12:09am On May 14, 2015
wizzyrich:
Ph is very expensive. Jst imagine getting a bottle of bear that is suppose to cost 250 for the price of 600 or 700 in some clubs or joints in G.R.A
Broke-ass niccur
PH is a city for the haves, if u are a have-not port to Aba, umuahia or owerri.
U want go buy beer 250 for eddyz wine bar, are u high
Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by magicfingers009: 12:09am On May 14, 2015
trapQ:
Average hotels Didn't just say that.. Port Harcourt has the most expensive hotels in Nigeria.. Ask around, presidential, novotel, and the likes... Even abuja businessmen know this.
Hahaha. You obviously haven't been to Lagos. I stayed 3nights in Novotel at Air force and I can tell you that that hotel is crap with the shitty room service. Have u been to the Wheatbaker hotel in Lagos? Pls never compare PH with Lagos or Abuja.

1 Like

Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by denedene(m): 12:19am On May 14, 2015
how come i don't see all these things? undecided
Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by viruz007(m): 12:30am On May 14, 2015
OKNkanu:

2. City of Hustlers

4. Luxury Lifestyle

7. The Traffic Gridlock.

1, 2, 3, 5, 6 na big fat lie and the empirical evidence is that i stay here. angry

Port Harcourt ke.... Talk abt 4,7,8 and Bole and Fish den u r talking of PH... Laid back kor, lie down ni undecided

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Largest Yoruba Settlement In Togo - Atakpame / Lagosians Running Traffic Lights Right In Front Of Police; Disgusting! / Lagos-Ibadan Railway: This Is The True Story - TrackaNG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.