Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,978 members, 7,956,651 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 04:19 PM

8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt (36211 Views)

A Nairalander Visit To The Moremi Statue Of Liberty.(With Pictures ) / My Experience on my First visit To Port Harcourt / My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by lipstick2(f): 6:41pm On May 13, 2015
Over hyped city with poor planning and road networking.
Get money,no swag,go to akwa ibom and see what oil money does.
My 3 days visit to PH in 2011 was terrible,I told myself that it will take a special person or event to take me there again.The town na zero for me.

6 Likes

Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by mubarak001(m): 6:42pm On May 13, 2015
Yimuyimu...Soro niyen! Smh.
Porta Koh Port Harcourt ni...just few places and not as u v described.

Lest I forget...d Boolee is No 1...damn! No place does it beta like Garden city.
Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by teufelein(f): 6:45pm On May 13, 2015
only unlearned. deranged and unsound mind would be calling the 'Great Igweocha' PH..nonsense
Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by trapQ: 6:46pm On May 13, 2015
Average hotels Didn't just say that.. Port Harcourt has the most expensive hotels in Nigeria.. Ask around, presidential, novotel, and the likes... Even abuja businessmen know this.
Reference:
OP. I take God beg you. Portharcourt like Lagos or Onitsha is not a tourist destination. Portharcourt since the late nineties has become a cosmopolitan, urban sprawl inhabited by typical Naija hustlers meaning it is in most parts nasty on the senses. It is anything but serene. Has very average hotels and practically no iconic attraction. It is an industrial hub for oil and gas which is definitely atouristic.
Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by princely83(m): 6:49pm On May 13, 2015
Yamayama city.
Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by doyinbaby(f): 6:49pm On May 13, 2015
Portharcourt love to visit u someday
Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by trapQ: 6:50pm On May 13, 2015
Op... I was born and bred in PH and yes things (especially food, clothes, transportation) are very very expensive in PH. Schools are fucking expensive too. But then its a very lovely city. Its basically the most expensive city to live in Nigeria. But why don't you mention BOLE na You have betrayed us.
OKNkanu:
Port Harcourt is a tourist’s dream destination. The city has been transformed into a stunning haven for business and tourism. With a wide variety of attractions and historical landmarks, you can spend a month in the ‘Garden city and not get bored.
Port Harcourt is one those places where anyone can feel at home. Even if you are visiting Port Harcourt for the first time, you are not going to miss out of the dramas that the city has to offer you. It offers boundless opportunities for unforgettable experiences for locals and visitors alike.
If you are yet to visit this multicultural city that is flourishing with affluent history and tourist attractions, here are 8 things you notice on your first visit to Port Harcourt:

1. Magnificent architecture and incredible vistas.

Port Harcourt is a city with urban pleasures; it offers a combination of outstanding architecture and incredible
vistas, with natural beauty in an unspoilt coherence. The city has fascinating scenery and it’s beautiful at first sight; it gives you an amazing feeling – the kind that makes you feel like you just entered a place full of everyday fairy tale.

2. City of Hustlers

Everyone wants to have a taste of the quantum petro-dollar that comes out from Rivers state. There is no part of the city that you would not see people struggling to survive and pay off their different bills. This is one city that has a lot of smart people who can cut corners to achieve their goals. They all want to achieve a slice of the next big thing.

3. A Destination for Night Owls.

The night in Port Harcourt is the beginning of another day for the residents; you cannot miss the vibrant and exciting nightlife in the city. A lot of silent places in the daytime suddenly come alive with music and activities that drag night owls from their homes to hubs, joints and hotels.

4. Luxury Lifestyle

Port Harcourt lifestyle is themed by entertainment, expensive houses and cars, relaxation and rejuvenation. Everyone living in the city wishes for their own piece of the oil money to build their own paradise. Port Harcourt is a dynamic business domain and a well laid back city to enjoy life. The intimidation of wealth can easily be seen around and the various classes of people can be identified within seconds.

5. Port Harcourt is not as expensive as they say

The truth is things are not really cheap but that does not mean that Port Harcourt is notoriously expensive as
rumours may have. You would notice that you can still get a lot of affordable things if you really know where to go for them.

6. The city is well laid-back

A lot of people coming here the first time may expect to find the craziness of rushing for buses or cabs. The commuters are calm and enter their choice of transport system in an
orderly manner. This trait does not end only with its transportation but in every aspect of lifestyle of the people.
We bet you that some Lagosians who are fond of rushing into buses would find this strange.

7. The Traffic Gridlock.

You just cannot miss the terrible traffic gridlock of this city. Some people may prefer Lagos when it comes to traffic gridlock. The reason is they can easily escape it with the
Lagos Bus Rapid Transit System or even the new train system that is functioning now. Not in Port Harcourt. You just have to prepare your mind to be patient and literally move a little slower than a snail especially during the rush hours; morning and evening.

8. Transportation drivers are daredevils.

Impatience is the watchword for those on the road, apart from the market where everywhere looks rowdy; the major roads of Port Harcourt are filled with daredevils who have no regards to orderliness. You would notice cars comfortably climbing the pavements to run away from any looming traffic.

1 Like

Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by Kingharzyz(m): 6:51pm On May 13, 2015
port Harcourt my second home... can't wait to visit once again... miss my ogoni and ikwere friends... I always thankGod I'd the privilege the to serve my father land in the state.

Proudly Odua.
One Nigeria....

1 Like

Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by Kingharzyz(m): 6:51pm On May 13, 2015
port Harcourt my second home... can't wait to visit once again... miss my ogoni and ikwere friends... I always thankGod I'd the privilege to serve my father land in the state.

Proudly Odua.
One Nigeria....
Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by mubarak001(m): 6:52pm On May 13, 2015
lipstick2:
Over hyped city with poor planning and road networking..

Am sure it was Oyigbo or Etche u sojourned whn u came...Ptown is NT dt bad.

3 Likes

Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by solayd(m): 7:02pm On May 13, 2015
9) poor electricity supply, worst i ever see compare to any state in Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by mmsen: 7:16pm On May 13, 2015
trapQ:
Average hotels Didn't just say that.. Port Harcourt has the most expensive hotels in Nigeria.. Ask around, presidential, novotel, and the likes... Even abuja businessmen know this.

Expensive does not make them good.

There is a general lack of value for money when it comes to hotels in Nigeria, especially when compared to Ghana (Accra in particular) where you can spend 1/3 price yet get 3 times the amenities.
Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by virud: 7:17pm On May 13, 2015
shaboti:
he's a yoruba kid
And (obviously) a poor student of history! grin
Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by Forwetinnah: 7:29pm On May 13, 2015
RickRichards:
I hear PH people are kinda loud, and I like to keep the decibels in check, as I hate noise.

If PH peeps are loud, What would you call Lagosians??

2 Likes

Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by Nobody: 7:34pm On May 13, 2015
OKNkanu:
&wink
Yeah i view federal secretariat from far there.
Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by Forwetinnah: 7:36pm On May 13, 2015
vfactor:

And roasted fish eeee!

Na so we dey talk am eeeeh!! cheesy
Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by Dathommie(m): 7:37pm On May 13, 2015
If u haven't been to........

Town, port harcourt....

4get...

U haven't been to port harcourt! cool

Town boy repping...

from aggrey road to borokiri holdin it down cool
Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by davefieldpop(m): 7:45pm On May 13, 2015
My expectation of Ph was kinda bogus, was a bit dissapointed when 4 finally saw it. No big deal, but by Nigerian standard it is ok.

1 Like

Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by otokx(m): 7:48pm On May 13, 2015
So many make shift markets and the accompanying stinking refuse dumps at strategic locations whether you drive in from Choba bridge or from Rumokoro or Eliozu or Eleme junction.

What makes pitakwa tick is the people and their hustle swag.

Architecturally, can't point out any spectacular structure. Is it Genesis Mall? its just there, maybe some big churches here and there, nothing mega, OK China Town is new so its cool, Port Harcourt mall is just there.

Some cool corner joints like tata fish, osmosis, but not so mind blowing.
Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by trapQ: 7:54pm On May 13, 2015
The hotels I mentioned are very good.. They are not average as you claim. If you knew these hotels you'd understand what I mean...
mmsen:

Expensive does not make them good.

There is a general lack of value for money when it comes to hotels in Nigeria, especially when compared to Ghana (Accra in particular) where you can spend 1/3 price yet get 3 times the amenities.
Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by Dathommie(m): 7:54pm On May 13, 2015
otokx:
So many make shift markets and the accompanying stinking refuse dumps at strategic locations whether you drive in from Choba bridge or from Rumokoro or Eliozu or Eleme junction.

What makes pitakwa tick is the people and their hustle swag.

Architecturally, can't point out any spectacular structure. Is it Genesis Mall? its just there, maybe some big churches here and there, nothing mega, OK China Town is new so its cool, Port Harcourt mall is just there.

What are u saying

Have u been to port harcourt mall ( SPAR )

Next to government house.....and opposite the mono rail

Come see architecture na

Bros u dey learn o!! U never even waka sef!

2 Likes

Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by somegirl1: 7:54pm On May 13, 2015
PH has lost it's glory to be honest. It was the place to be until a couple of years into the century..
Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by mmsen: 7:58pm On May 13, 2015
trapQ:
The hotels I mentioned are very good.. They are not average as you claim. If you knew these hotels you'd understand what I mean...

I did not use the word average.

I said that they are not value for money, on a regional or even international level.
Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by Gynacologist(m): 7:59pm On May 13, 2015
Chuukwudi:
Please, who knows how to cook fried rice here?
ask ur moda nah?
Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by jossy26: 8:12pm On May 13, 2015
Ph is a lovely city, with lots of beautiful hotels etc but it's jusst overhyped, nothing catchy except ofcourse the fact that the oil companies are around.
Omagwa airport is really terrible and a shame for PH status, you can also imagine travelling from around stadium road to airport a distance of about 20km on a major road and you can only find one rickety bank, I really don't know how the locals do business cos you need to go to transamadi area to bank.

It's ok for the locals but definitely can't live there

1 Like

Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by Rotswag(m): 8:17pm On May 13, 2015
Dats Rumuokoro......when u are coming out from Eliogbolo road. Took d pics from dat Plaza.

Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by omonnakoda: 8:18pm On May 13, 2015
The pickpockets at Boro Park have they disappeared? That story No. 6 of not rushing bus Hmm.
Those pickpockets no get pair
Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by otokx(m): 8:18pm On May 13, 2015
jossy26:
Ph is a lovely city, with lots of beautiful hotels etc but it's jusst overhyped, nothing catchy except ofcourse the fact that the oil companies are around.
Omagwa airport is really terrible and a shame for PH status, you can also imagine travelling from around stadium road to airport a distance of about 20km on a major road and you can only find one rickety bank, I really don't know how the locals do business cos you need to go to transamadi area to bank.

It's ok for the locals but definitely can't live there

The non completion of the airport is a testimony to the legacy of GEJ who definitely forgot his roots.

1 Like

Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by esonuu(m): 8:19pm On May 13, 2015
9.Portharcourt boiz sabi form wetin dem no be 10. Plenty chiks for P.H, are loose/promiscuous(4rm experience) 11. Hungry boiz sabi mala aka n'akpa for P.H

1 Like

Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by folabayo1(f): 8:24pm On May 13, 2015
hopeforcharles:

Thank
You, I have lived in Port Harcourt for close to two years, I didn't see anything special about it, it lacks proper infrastructure and it's housing, transport, cloth and food are expensive, the only thing I like about it is the greenery sceneries, the ikwerri people are jobless and hostile, imagine my landlord fighting me because I am always wearing new cloths and my swag was smooth, he threaten to blind me, you are prospering they beef you, a lot of cultists and killings, a lot of their youths are high grade robbers and theif (no offence but true talk) they broke my friends shop took all his phones and laptop that he sales and the landlord says he didn't hear shit during the robbery despite the fact that he lived in the compound and others outside heard,
There is no good night life there, I live in phalga area, a lot of times I will be roaming around Presidential to see if I will enjoy night life only to be disappointed, just visit kano here and you will know what is called night life.
jeezzz Just imagine ! Av only been to woji severally and artileries or so.
Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by folabayo1(f): 8:25pm On May 13, 2015
slimmy05:
pH is not meant for the low income earners if you're not from the state neither is it meant for "aka gum". Ph is my home anytime.
sorry o ph person grin
Re: 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt by Zellie: 8:40pm On May 13, 2015
Magnificent architecture ?

Biko where ? ? ?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Update From The Agege-Pen Cinema Flyover Construction - Photos / Xmas: Travelers Should Be Wary Of This Danger On Interstate Highways (PHOTOS) / Abuja Airport Closure: Calibration Helicopter To Be Used In Kaduna Airport (Pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.