Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,168 members, 7,849,609 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 05:48 AM

Why Saraki Should Succeed Mark As Senate President –amao, APC Chieftain - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Saraki Should Succeed Mark As Senate President –amao, APC Chieftain (649 Views)

A Credible Northerner, Not Osinbajo Should Succeed Buhari In 2019 / Ndume: If Magu Could Be Rejected, Saraki Should Not Be Senate President / Fresh Trouble For David Mark As INEC Card Reader Detects More Ghost Voters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Saraki Should Succeed Mark As Senate President –amao, APC Chieftain by unikazzy(m): 12:51am On May 14, 2015
Ahead of the inauguration of a new political dispen­sation that will be led by Gen Muhammadu Buhari (retd) from May 29, one of the questions begging for answer is who succeeds David Mark as the new Senate President.

One of the leading members of the All Progressives Congress (APC) that will form the major­ity in the Senate is the two-term former governor of Kwara State, Senator Bukola Saraki, currently representing Kwara Central in the Senate.

A successful entrepreneur, Mr. Akeem Amao, who hails from Ojoku in Oyun Local Govern­ment Area of Kwara State, is one of the political juggernauts sup­porting the candidacy of Saraki for the Senate Presidency. In this interview by OLUSEYE OJO, he talks on why Saraki, accord­ing to him, remains the best candidate to succeed Mark.

Why are you passionate about Senator Bukola Saraki?

I am very passionate about Nigeria and my encounter with Senator Saraki gives me the confidence that we still have few men who are intellectually sound with the needed clout to move Nigeria forward. Men like that are few in Nigeria. Giving such a man a shot at the very top will not only propel the growth of Nigeria, it will also renew the hope of many passionate Nigerians like me.

Do you think he will make a better Senate President?

Yes, I have no iota of doubt. The records are there and I am not making anything up. He has the experience to take Nigeria forward. He has the clout, capacity, credibility, knowledge, ability, exposure and the will. He is not a bench warmer. He contributes positively on the floor of the Senate, geared towards the development of this nation.

One of the interesting planetary that I watched was when he demanded accountability on the issue of subsidy. Till date, there are questions raised on that issue by the President-elect. The outgoing President recently ordered the release of PWC audit paperwork which the Nigerian public is cur­rently scrutinizing. We may never have known this. This is just one instance out of many.

With the ongoing political cal­culations over the Senate Presi­dency, do you think the North Central is favoured to clinch the office?

Yes, we stand a chance at the North Central and may I point out the fact that Benue is not the only state in the North Central. Kwara State is also in the North Central. If you ask me, all these zoning is not as important as competence. We should steer Nigeria in the right direction by making sure the right hands assume the right offices or positions to accelerate progress and development. But either way, Senator Saraki is very competent for the job.

What do you think can stand against Saraki from becoming Senate President?

Maybe a few selfish interests on the part of some people that may not want him to get there. But I am sure Nigerians are wiser now. Imagine what transpired on the issue of Presidency. This is the first time in the history of Nigeria that an opposition party would sweep off more that 70 per cent of the political positions, including the Presi­dency. More so, the biggest and fastest growing political party in Africa is big­ger than any one person. I know that Nigerians will not choose people based on sentiments or selfish reasons. That’s not what we stand for in APC.

What can you say about Saraki and the powers that be in the All Progressives Congress (APC)?

Saraki is not a mere member of APC and I can call him a “Strategic Executive Member” of APC. He is a political heavyweight and a force to reckon with in Nigerian politics; a man who pulled out of the ruling party with seven governors, which led to the par­tial collapse of the ruling party. Always present at both local and state rallies. He is a very dedicated and commit­ted man toward the development of our great party and country. I said it on social media about a year ago that the ruling party will not have up to 10 states in the 2015 general elections.

What kind of relationship does he have with the President-elect, General Mohammadu Buhari?

He certainly will be in a better position to tell you that but I believe a cordial relationship exists between them. They are progressive minds and great minds think alike. I believe their collaboration with the likes of the Vice President-Elect, Professor Yemi Osinbajo, and a few others will bring about the change that we want in record time.

If he becomes the Senate President, what are the areas you would want him to focus on?

Sound, progressive policies and quick passage of cogent bills; not only that but also checks and balances geared toward rapid development of our dear county Nigeria. With his vast experience, I will want him to help support a healthy budget and budget­ary process to ensure the passage, implementation and monitored perfor­mance of the budgetary allocations.

What has he done since he became a senator that can work for him to become the Senate President?

I don’t want to be speaking for him. But Senator Saraki has an excellent trait that we hardly find in politicians of today. He doesn’t abandon the people. Politicians must emulate these attributes. He is always on Twitter. He is a man of the people. So, I will expect that to come into play when he gets to the Senate Presidency. We elected the people into the Senate and we expect them to work for us. When they get there, they begin to do their own thing.

Senator Saraki recently started funding scholarship with his pension. He executes his constituency projects that you can see in black and white. He sorts feedback on how to serve the people better. I will recommend a man like that at any time. Senator Saraki is a talent we must leverage on in Nigeria. We can’t continue wasting men like him.

Will he be able to hold the up­per chambers of the National As­sembly together like the current Senate President, David Mark?

I have no doubt that he will perform better. Men like him will always stand out no matter what and against all odds.

What kind of relationship will you recommend between the presidency and National Assem­bly in the next political dispen­sation that will begin on May 29?

I will recommend a very cordial one that will in turn accelerate the change that we desire.

What is your assessment of this year’s general elections in Kwara State?

The election was peaceful, free and fair. It was a clear and landslide vic­tory. The people of Kwara State stood by their mandate. Thanks to the people of Kwara State for their immense sup­port for the APC. I am sure APC will not let Nigerians down.

The expectations of Nigerians from General Mohammadu Bu­hari (retd) are very high and he has said that he is not a magi­cian, but he would try his best to transform Nigeria. What is your take on this?

I have had the opportunity to meet Gen Buhari and I have an idea of what he stands for. I know that Nigeria will be transformed. We have all sacrificed so much. It is a collective effort but I believe if we get it correctly at the top , we all will not have much to worry about. Like the central nervous system, the head controls every part of the body, which is the reason God didn’t put the functionality of the entire body on the leg but the head. Headship is key and germane to rapid growth and develop­ment of any nation. I believe we are on course and I expect change in less than four years.

sunnewsonline.com/new/?p=119442

(1) (Reply)

Bleep The Government.. Life Is Hard I'm So Angry!! / Buhari Thanks Social Media For Victory At Poll.... / Why Do You Chose To Kill Yourselves

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.