Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,150 members, 7,818,459 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:16 PM

Why The Yoruba May Lose Out Under Buhari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why The Yoruba May Lose Out Under Buhari (3015 Views)

Abia Governorship Tussle: Both Ikpeazu And Ogah May Lose Out To Barr. FN Nwosu / Yoruba May Pull Out Of Nigerian Union, Gen Adebayo,others Speak At Ibadan Summit / Saraki And Akume Lose Out On Senate Presidency As North-east Get Slot (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why The Yoruba May Lose Out Under Buhari by businessline: 8:26am On May 14, 2015

Re: Why The Yoruba May Lose Out Under Buhari by Acekidc4(m): 8:32am On May 14, 2015
How we Yoruba wan tey Lose

3 Likes

Re: Why The Yoruba May Lose Out Under Buhari by Nobody: 8:38am On May 14, 2015
BUHARI my HERO!
AMEACHI my ROLE MODEL!!
FASHOLA my GUY!!!

3 Likes

Re: Why The Yoruba May Lose Out Under Buhari by after1: 8:40am On May 14, 2015
Una no dey tire. Una carry Yoruba matter for head like gala. ahahahahah

3 Likes

Re: Why The Yoruba May Lose Out Under Buhari by OkutaNla: 8:43am On May 14, 2015
after1:

I tire o? ? This bad-belle-ism is turning into something else sha.

2 Likes

Re: Why The Yoruba May Lose Out Under Buhari by Nobody: 8:44am On May 14, 2015
Why una dey take Panadol for another man's headache undecided

1 Like

Re: Why The Yoruba May Lose Out Under Buhari by Mogidi: 8:48am On May 14, 2015
Below is the article which the @OP refuse to post.

Why the Yoruba may lose out under Buhari

I should make two quick points before I proceed with this. One, I absolutely do not like the ethnic coloration that we give to politics in Nigeria. I think that as a country, the best way to attain the height of our potential is to move together as one, not allowing those things which divide us hold us back.The second thing, which is a corollary to the foregoing is that I am not in support of zoning. In truth, I think any government that wants to do Nigeria good should instantly kill the idea of zoning, start to see that every part of the country is fairly treated, gets its due and that people get appointed into offices not because of where they come from but on the strength of their abilities. Just give merit the lead and let’s see if the sky can hold Nigeria back.

Having said that, it would be playing to the ostrich to pretend that I do not understand that the situation with tribe, religion and ethnicity will not change in Nigeria overnight. It would not because whipping those sentiments is currently the most potent weapon in the hands of our political elite and a lot of Nigerians get carried away and follow the tide of politicians without question. This is why there have been a lot of permutations about what ethnic group will be influential and which will be redundant in the incoming administration.

One of the often repeated arguments is that the South-South and the South-East have done themselves in by not voting for the All Progressives Congress and jeopardising the opportunity to get any of the juicy political offices under the Buhari administration.

Most of those who champion this position are people of Yoruba extraction of the South-West and the arguments are usually based on the superior sense of political alertness that the sponsors feel.

A lot of people in the South-West are so proud of their political leaders and the role they played in the formation of the APC that they write off those who did not join the train as political nonstarters with little or no understanding of the times. Depending on who is pushing these arguments and the depth with which they push it, I go away with one or two or all of the following impressions about them. I think that they are either naïve or arrogant or are affected by a combination of both.

Of these tendencies, the one I find most unacceptable is arrogance. Unfortunately, it is the most likely in the circumstance even though it is also the most untraditional of the Yoruba. Even if the Yoruba political elite are smart as to be able to read the political barometer and align with the right people at the right time, the traditional Yoruba person does, ordinarily, not gloat over his achievements. After all, are they not the people who suggest cautious humility when they counsel that if your yam sprouts, you should not brag about it? So, why beat your own drums so loud especially in the spite of other ethnic groups?

In this loud vainglory, I think the Yoruba risk two things. One is that it may dig a deeper gulf between them and the two other zones in the South and two, it may get the North suspicious of the ambition of Yoruba politicians.

Now, we should get this clear, the major, in fact most prominent, factor that ensured a Buhari win in the March election is the long held determination of the northern part of the country that “power” must return to them in 2015. With due respect to the fact that the South-West delivered votes and more importantly, made it easy for the APC candidate to obtain the required percentage of votes in 25 states, Northern Nigeria spoke with eloquent unity with their votes during these last elections. The South-West cannot say the same. The zone failed to pull its weight in the measure that bookmakers predicted as total number of votes cast in the zone and those delivered to the APC candidate were incredibly unimpressive.
Re: Why The Yoruba May Lose Out Under Buhari by mcquin(m): 8:50am On May 14, 2015
Why not keep it to yourself? I don't see Buhari changing his winning formular atleast after knowing SE votes are irrelevant.

4 Likes

Re: Why The Yoruba May Lose Out Under Buhari by LubricatingOil: 8:52am On May 14, 2015
Mogidi:

Four more years to cry. Go & Die.

2 Likes

Re: Why The Yoruba May Lose Out Under Buhari by BlackTechnology: 8:53am On May 14, 2015
Olodos

The author na Yoruba.

Acekidc4:
Jklue007:
BUHARI my HERO!
AMEACHI my ROLE MODEL!!
FASHOLA my GUY!!!
OkutaNla:

I tire o? ? This bad-belle-ism is turning into something else sha.
eliment:
Why una dey take Panadol for another man's headache undecided
after1:

Buhari

Shine your eyes where Yorubas dey

Buhari

Prove us wrong that you are not

BABA ONE CHANCE

BABA HYPOCRITE

BABA MAGICIAN

Prove us wrong by probing

Tinubu OBJ Saraki Atiku Rochas Amaechi

Prove us wrong by probing the corrupt Federal Civil Service which is dominated by Tinubu's people

Sir

Tinubu's people voted you because they believe they can steal the oil wealth and presidency through you

They believe Tinubu through Osinbajo can control your government the way Idiagbon did

Sir

They do not believe in change because if they do, they would have voted you in 2007 and 2011

Remember that you are a descendant of Usman Dan Fodio

Remember that your ancestors never allowed the Oduduwas deceive them

WISE UP wink wink wink cool

2 Likes

Re: Why The Yoruba May Lose Out Under Buhari by theV0ice: 9:00am On May 14, 2015
businessline:
Read it here >>>
http://nigeriacamera.net/why-the-yoruba-may-lose-out-under-buhari/
Mogidi:

Didn't they also lose out under gej after fighting to free him from the cage Turai put him? after OBJ, a Yoruba man installed him as PDP candidate, after Yoruba states voted overwhelmingly for him to clinch the presidency so what is the big deal if they also lose out under GMB?

A Yoruba man is the VP and even if he doesn't even perform a single function, with respect to the way you clannish folks analyse politics, its still 100times better than whatever they got under gej so why can't you go cry in your closet over gej's monumental loss?

Are the Yoruba the reason for your unending misery?

GMB was voted to work for Nigeria, not to please the Yoruba. How difficult is this that you simply can't comprehend it?

5 Likes

Re: Why The Yoruba May Lose Out Under Buhari by theV0ice: 9:02am On May 14, 2015
BlackTechnology:
[s]Olodos

The author na Yoruba.

Buhari

Shine your eyes where Yorubas dey

Buhari

BABA ONE CHANCE

BABA HYPOCRITE

BABA MAGICIAN

Prove us wrong by probing the corrupt Federal Civil Service which is dominated by Tinubu's people

Sir

Tinubu's people voted you because they believe they can steal the oil wealth and presidency through you

They believe Tinubu through Osinbajo can control your government the way Idiagbon did

Sir

They do not believe in change because if they do, they would have voted you in 2007 and 2011

WISE UP wink wink wink cool[/s]

cheesy cheesy finally a Yoruba man that doesn't make you choke on your hatred and bitterness

I hope you've sent your words of 'wisdom' to GMB?

5 Likes

Re: Why The Yoruba May Lose Out Under Buhari by BlackTechnology: 9:04am On May 14, 2015
theV0ice:

Didn't they also lose out under gej after fighting to free him from the cage Turai put him? after OBJ, a Yoruba man installed him as PDP candidate, after Yoruba states voted overwhelmingly for him to clinch the presidency so what is the big deal if they also lose out under GMB?

A Yoruba man is the VP and even if he doesn't even perform a single function, with respect to the way you clannish folks analyse politics, its still 100times better than whatever they got under gej so why can't you go cry in your closet over gej's monumental loss?

GMB was voted to work for Nigeria, not to please the Yoruba. How difficult is this that you simy can't comprehend it?

That's why we need competent hands to CHANGE Nigeria even if all chosen are Northerners

Sir

Sir

Re: Why The Yoruba May Lose Out Under Buhari by NewNigeriaMind: 9:04am On May 14, 2015
theV0ice:

GMB was voted to work for Nigeria, not to please the Yoruba. How difficult is this that you simy can't comprehend it?

Relax, the author of the article is a Yoruba.

He made some predications which I think we should discuss.
Re: Why The Yoruba May Lose Out Under Buhari by NewNigeriaMind: 9:05am On May 14, 2015
mcquin:
Why not keep it to yourself? I don't see Buhari changing his winning formular atleast after knowing SE votes are irrelevant.

Read the article, the writer made some points
Re: Why The Yoruba May Lose Out Under Buhari by omenka(m): 9:06am On May 14, 2015
Always tribe, tribe, tribe. When are we gonna start thinking National Gosh! angry

1 Like

Re: Why The Yoruba May Lose Out Under Buhari by NewNigeriaMind: 9:07am On May 14, 2015
Acekidc4:

What we Yorubas want is a progressive government, however the northern oligarchy may turn buhari to an ethic president like jonathan and conservatism.

read the article and comment on some of the writer assumptions
Re: Why The Yoruba May Lose Out Under Buhari by NewNigeriaMind: 9:08am On May 14, 2015
omenka:
Always tribe, tribe, tribe. When are we gonna start thinking National Gosh! angry

Sadly all we play in Nigeria is tribal politics.

But this part of the article is key:

Re: Why The Yoruba May Lose Out Under Buhari by theV0ice: 9:08am On May 14, 2015
BlackTechnology:

That's why we need competent hands to CHANGE Nigeria [size=14pt]even if all chosen are Northerners[/size]

Buhari

BABA ONE CHANCE

BABA HYPOCRITE

BABA MAGICIAN

Sir

Sir

cheesy cheesy why not my friend, why not??

Even if we can get honest expatriates to help us run Nigeria to make it work again, why freaking not?

Let GMB appoint only katsina indigenes if he likes, as long as the country wakes up again and gej remains in otuoke, he should go ahead

5 Likes

Re: Why The Yoruba May Lose Out Under Buhari by mcquin(m): 9:12am On May 14, 2015
NewNigeriaMind:

Read the article, the writer made some points

My point is, why not allow politics play out? Why assume on behalf of a group that voted for Nigeria's progress?
Someone did write that Jonathan screwed up leaving the SE,SS and majorly SW to work in the North when his greatest strength is in that region; that is true.

Buhari won't have to leave his strongholds to tow the part of uncertainty atleast he knows N and SW combined will give him victory.

1 Like

Re: Why The Yoruba May Lose Out Under Buhari by theV0ice: 9:12am On May 14, 2015
NewNigeriaMind:

Relax, the author of the article is a Yoruba.

He made some predications which I think we should discuss.

My bro, there's nothing for me to read in the article. The heading shows its an article that will not work for how we hope Nigeria is run. What does the Yoruba losing out in a GMB presidency have to do with Nigeria working again?

If GMB likes, he should employ only shuwa Arabs in his govt. If they don't steal everything or allow criminals walk free in the land, I'm very OK.

GMB wasn't created to.please Yoruba people

3 Likes

Re: Why The Yoruba May Lose Out Under Buhari by BlackTechnology: 9:13am On May 14, 2015
NewNigeriaMind:

What we Yorubas want is a progressive government, however the northern oligarchy may turn buhari to an ethic president like jonathan and conservatism.

read the article and comment on some of the writer assumptions

Now you are thinking straight

This is what you Yorubas never factored in your plan. cool
Re: Why The Yoruba May Lose Out Under Buhari by NewNigeriaMind: 9:13am On May 14, 2015
theV0ice:

My bro, there's nothing for me to read in the article. The heading shows its an article that will not work for how we hope Nigeria is run. What does the Yoruba losing out in a GMB presidency have to do with Nigeria working again?

If GMB likes, he should employ only shuwa Arabs in his govt. If they don't steal everything or allow criminals walk free in the land, I'm very OK.

Which is why the final summation of the article is that Yorubas should put regional interest aside and put National Interest as paramount to deliver the change we need.
Re: Why The Yoruba May Lose Out Under Buhari by BlackTechnology: 9:15am On May 14, 2015
theV0ice:

cheesy cheesy why not my friend, why not??

Even if we can get honest expatriates to help us run Nigeria to make it work again, why freaking not?

Let GMB appoint only katsina indigenes if he likes, as long as the country wakes up again and gej remains in otuoke, he should go ahead

So why were you elites crying that the director of Nigerian Port Authority is not Yoruba. grin
Re: Why The Yoruba May Lose Out Under Buhari by NewNigeriaMind: 9:16am On May 14, 2015
BlackTechnology:

Now you are thinking straight

This is what you Yorubas never factored in your plan. cool

We did because we know the northern oligarchy if they change Buhari to an ethic president,it will only last four years.

What makes you think Tinubu cannot align with PDP again, remember Jonathan offered him VP in an interim government.

Finally you got to know this: the real cabal are the voters. this is not 1970.

But still the writer only made some predictions and sounded a note of caution that Yorubas should not see this as we against them grin but to put national interest before personal interest

1 Like

Re: Why The Yoruba May Lose Out Under Buhari by NewNigeriaMind: 9:17am On May 14, 2015
BlackTechnology:

So why were you elites crying that the director of Nigerian Port Authority is not Yoruba. grin

Don't derail this thread with your shenanigans please. lets leave what we did yesterday and do better today.
Re: Why The Yoruba May Lose Out Under Buhari by theV0ice: 9:18am On May 14, 2015
NewNigeriaMind:

Which is why the final summation of the article is that Yorubas should put regional interest aside and put National Interest as paramount to deliver the change we need.

Thanks for this. That is what we all should work towards....only the NATIONAL INTEREST is what we all should work towards which sadly we've been denied for so long. That is the only thing that will ensure good for us all

God bless you bro
Re: Why The Yoruba May Lose Out Under Buhari by BlackTechnology: 9:19am On May 14, 2015
theV0ice:

In other words, Yorubas should stop fighting to get positions in this administration

After all , the Dan Fodios have capable hands

Tinubu will be so happy with you grin
Re: Why The Yoruba May Lose Out Under Buhari by theV0ice: 9:20am On May 14, 2015
BlackTechnology:

I guess Daniel KANU also spoke for you when he wanted Abacha to rule for life?

I guess chief Obioha also spoke for all Igbo when he went begging GMB for appointments and other patronage?

1 Like

Re: Why The Yoruba May Lose Out Under Buhari by NewNigeriaMind: 9:21am On May 14, 2015
mcquin:

My point is, why not allow politics play out? Why assume on behalf of a group that voted for Nigeria's progress?
Someone did write that Jonathan screwed up leaving the SE,SS and majorly SW to work in the North when his greatest strength is in that region; that is true.

Buhari won't have to leave his strongholds to tow the part of uncertainty atleast he knows N and SW combined will give him victory.

According to the writer, yorubas should not see this a Yoruba thing rather as a Nigeria movement.

He made some assertions that are outrighly wrong, an instance is that the north could keep power in the north, that is not possible.

But in the last paragraph he said Yorubas should approach this and do things in the interest of all Nigerians.

In all I agree with you, we should let politics play out. Buhari has not been sworn in and we already have some many opinion of what will happen in the future
Re: Why The Yoruba May Lose Out Under Buhari by theV0ice: 9:22am On May 14, 2015
BlackTechnology:

In other words, Yorubas should stop fighting to get positions in this administration

Do the elite in igboland dictate what you believe and how you run your life?

2 Likes

Re: Why The Yoruba May Lose Out Under Buhari by NewNigeriaMind: 9:23am On May 14, 2015
BlackTechnology:

Stop it now, don't derail this thread sad

What he is telling you is that Buhari should himself as Nigeria president and not Yoruba/Hausa president

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Jonathan’s Body Language Shows Support For Avengers — Odili / See Gov. El'rufai's Tweet That Exposes The Reason Why He Wouldn't Stop The Killi / Confab 2014: 54 States, 54 Governors, 54 Ministers, 172 Senators, 224 Reps!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.