Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,352 members, 7,815,732 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:20 PM

How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp - NYSC (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp (32214 Views)

"Slay Queens Slaying In Camp" - This Female Corper's Outfit Got People Talking / How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. / How NYSC Members Are Recruited For Prostitution In Minna (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by Nobody: 7:31pm On May 14, 2015
It's quite unfortunate for the corp memeber, but the best advice to the otondos is, the NYSC camp is a fun place and all join! Next time, I suggest all corp members reple the punishment if the corp memeber in question is not arogant in his response to the security operatives oo..then it would be a laughing issue and you all would be safe and guided too...that's my opinion!
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by KELVIN086: 7:32pm On May 14, 2015
the guy in the picture looks like a criminal thats why he was sent to the guard room
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by ibkgab001: 7:32pm On May 14, 2015
Nigeria police are nama
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by laredopapa(m): 7:34pm On May 14, 2015
ungbadun person
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by kay1one2(m): 7:34pm On May 14, 2015
Sorry ehn...
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by jtjohn(m): 7:35pm On May 14, 2015
I served in nasarawa state it was fun 2013/2014.......if u are sick dey kindly tell u to go to clinic some guy were nw using it as a medium to take excuse in other nt to go to parade ground....we love d security personnel becos of dere understanding nature.....i don't knw y dis set of soldiers is being cruel, most of d security personal are not graduate self, y should dey be hostile to defenseless Corp member........the camp commander or d state coordinator should called them to order.......
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by galapazygalarba: 7:38pm On May 14, 2015
fellow no plz I was searching 2ru Mary jjjjj books of concept I came across a chapter dat says is possibly 4 d federal gament according to we in dza north 2 form an institution or body DAT will pilot d affairs of human right.... looking into d affairs of our forces 2 mishandling of citizens.. eg police detaining som1 4 48hours seizing his phone n depriving of calling family n friends cos he refuse 2 tip d olooopkkkaaaas.....plz ur thought
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by blakky97(m): 7:38pm On May 14, 2015
peeparty:
Read excerpts below:
“To all my fellow NYSC corp members around Nigeria, today, I witnessed how one of my colleagues, Adeyera Olubunmi (State code: NS/15A/0134)(Call-up no.: NYSC/NIJ/2015/061287) almost died due to maltreatment in Nasarawa state NYSC camp by security officials.

What happened this morning was that Bunmi Adeyera who is also Platoon 4 leader and was obviously sick went to the Camp clinic to collect some drugs to combat his ailment and was approaching the camp market to get food (since food was no longer available in the camp kitchen) in order to use his drugs when he was stopped by security operatives (Nigerian Police force and Man’O War) and was asked to go back into the camp hall for lectures.
How NYSC Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture At Camp
He tried explaining to them that he was sick and needed to take his drugs but they did not listen to him, rather he was told to start ‘frog-jumping’.Bunmi quietly explained to them that he might not be able to ‘frog-jump’ because of his health status.

The next thing I saw was that the security operatives (who were obviously Hausas, because they communicated fluently in Hausa language) told asked him if he was Hausa or Yoruba. When he told them he was Yoruba and he hails from Lagos state, they seized his NYSC identification tag and marched him straight to the ‘Guard room’ allegations of ‘being stubborn’ without giving him any chance of speaking in his own defense.

This place called Guard room is a bathroom located at the entrance gate of the Nasarawa Camp where soldiers urinate at all time and with no cross-ventilation.

We all watched them take the poor sick Corp member to the Guard Room, and was detained there going to three hours. The next thing I saw was people from the camp medical unit running towards the gate with stretcher in their hands.

Behold Bunmi had collapsed and fainted in the so-called guard room.
Even while the Red Cross team was trying to rescue the situation, the soldiers sent them back saying that all was pretence and that when he wakes up, he will return to the guard room.
The doctors battled for his life for about an hour before Bunmi Adeyera became conscious again and was later stabilized.

Every Corp member on Camp including NYSC officials know Bunmi to be easy-going, obedient and friend to all which is more reason he emerged the leader of Platoon 4.
The population of those who went to the clinic to check on him is one that I have never seen on camp although they wouldn’t allow us take pictures of this ugly incident

But my question is this why is it that we Corp members who have in good faith and humility come to serve our father land are being maltreated even to the extent of someone fainting. This should not continue. All these security agents should be careful in performing their duties and should remember that the pen is powerful than the sword…”

Bunmi Adeyera is a graduate of mass communication from The Nigerian Institute of Journalism, Ogba, Lagos state. All attempts to reach the Nasarawa state co-ordinator, Mrs. C.I Uba, proved abortive.

cc
lalasticlala
So ordinary man o war and police una no fit change am for dem. Ure mates in Egypt combated a national army and won.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by synergycom19: 7:38pm On May 14, 2015
And what are the other corpers doing?
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by Daraplato(m): 7:39pm On May 14, 2015
Op you fit write story oo..... grin
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by Milaby(f): 7:39pm On May 14, 2015
Too bad
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by Nobody: 7:40pm On May 14, 2015
Very very silly boy.

1. He could have gotten a tag from the clinic, or begged a clinic officer to help/follow him to mammy.

2. Except its the commandant or state coordinator that instructs you, no personnel will allow you go to the mammy during lectures, you are only allowed to leave the lecture hall if you are on duty, not even to go to mammy.

3. Why did he not buy the food before lectures, and keep it till he is ready? This is simple wisdom.

Although the military officers acted rashly, I cannot really blame them, a lot of corps members are tricky, they cook up flimsy excuses of which the 'sick' excuse is the most abused.

I would have been infuriated if they had laid hands on him, but they didn't. Punishment on camp is a normal thing, whether in a goats pen or a urinary.

However, all I can say to bunmi is SORRY, next time be smarter.

The military man can never be court marshalled for doing his job, even if the boy had died, he was acting on orders.

Camp life is regimented, whether you like it or not.

Many of the persons making sentimental comments here have not been to NYSC camp grounds.

Its a world on its own, where just like war, all is fair.

5 Likes

Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by synergycom19: 7:41pm On May 14, 2015
It by force to serve?obtain exemption certificate,most of them are not enterprising so they want to serve to get handouts and government jobs. When serving I know it's a fraud,my children will not do it by GOD'S GRACE
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by spenca: 7:41pm On May 14, 2015
Can we scrap this program already ?
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by sirsharks(m): 7:41pm On May 14, 2015
Too bad
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by Abyolah: 7:48pm On May 14, 2015
AncientJerk:
ok first of all, i don't see how he almost lost his life here??

the actions taken by the security personnel were totally unacceptable, however this boy certainly did not act wit wisdom. the name of the game is survival. knowing that the security guys were refusing to buy his story why didn't he just return to the lecture hall to explain to the lecturer? and if the lecturer too refused to listen would it not have been better to wait a little in the lecture hall and to wait for three hours in the "guard room"?

you've got to think survival in a country like Nigeria

also i would think there should probably be something like a medical pass or so that would grant temporary exemptions to unwell individuals?

what is this one saying.
Back to the topic,thank God for d dude life. Similar thing almost happen'd to me bk then in camp. This soldier ask'd me to roll inside mud cos i was walking instead of "doubling up". I was like: Oga em just gimme drips fnsh for una clinic ni o. I con show am where em plaster for my hand n drugs. The aboki hand jez fall as en no c me disgrace...those guys cn be annoying sumtyms
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by TopGee: 7:48pm On May 14, 2015
Maybe, after your service, you take one year course and join military and deal with them. Though, you must forgive.
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by free2ryhme: 7:51pm On May 14, 2015
angry
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by Nobody: 7:52pm On May 14, 2015
Ehya Served @ NS 12B.......plantoon4 Don't mind those yeye recruits........haters!
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by 1stimpression(f): 7:55pm On May 14, 2015
And what are other corp members doing. I trust my co-corp members in River State batch C 2014 Stream 2.
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by Dahveydson(m): 8:02pm On May 14, 2015
It's a shame that corps members watched how one of their own was being humiliated unjustly and kept quiet. Something similar happened in my camp, but we confronted the soldiers to free the corps members who they were dragging to go punish.
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by godG: 8:05pm On May 14, 2015
Alexisu:
Magaji Dan Yamusa camp. Keffi.

Was there 13A.

Get well platoon 4 leader

That camp is probably one of the toughest in the country when you are talking about drills. The 177 Guards Battalion in Keffi doesn't not make it a nice place to camp. Something should be done. sad Was there, 14A. Funny enough, I was Platoon 4 leader too.
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by Koleman(m): 8:19pm On May 14, 2015
This is only a one sided story... the writer has written this piece under the umbrella of being the victims frnd. so maybe just maybe sentiments may be be playing a big role here.... feel sorry for ur frnd though...

1 Like

Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by sunnyblaz: 8:21pm On May 14, 2015
13C same keffi
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by tempest01(m): 8:22pm On May 14, 2015
All of una be otondos..I remember in nasarawa camp 2012 when the commandant told a corper to lie down and face the sun because he was not in the lecture hall with others, he refused. The soldiers with the commandant now forced him to the ground and hit him with a stick. We stopped the lecture and protested.

The commandant them marched all the soldiers in camp to the parade ground for punishment.
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by ibnbazz(m): 8:23pm On May 14, 2015
All of una for that camp na otondo. As them day carry am go na that time camp go scatter . O i wish i was there. Public university good o. Aluta things even soldiers go run. Muchewwww
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by Crispels(m): 8:28pm On May 14, 2015
angry
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by Ugojames(m): 8:30pm On May 14, 2015
Op this is normal abeg, 3 months after leaving camp you will realise this, by next week you will be praying that camp shouldn't end
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by Bsc(m): 8:31pm On May 14, 2015
Guy dat one na small thing oh...in d same magaji dan yamusa (Nasarawa camp) i passed thru it august 2014.. Our captain, owodele...brought us out 2am wen it was raining heavily and kept us in the rain..people died and woke up that morning.. I personally did frog jump 1,000 wen I was sick... Bsides police no dey put mouth for corper matter inside camp, how u come talk say food no dey available abi u lost ur timetable.... Ask ur platoon officer to tell u d hail batch b 2014 went thru...even fire night wasn't fun for us.. But it was all fun... I miss camp...enjoy because after camp na suffer
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by freshdude99(m): 8:35pm On May 14, 2015
amokeme:
All this just to serve. And at the end of the month, they will pay you a miserable 19k cry thank God he is OK now.
Some people get bad mouth sha.
19k miserable shocked
U must be a milibilitrilionnaire cheesy
Rabbish lipsrsealed
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by gbengus17: 8:36pm On May 14, 2015
ALL MY LIFE, I HAVE NEVER LISTENED TO ONE SIDE-- I MUST LISTEN TO THE OTHER SIDE BEFORE MAKING A COMMENT. GOOD NIGHT.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Four Corpers Kidnapped On Their Way To Camp, Rescued In Rivers / Official Nysc 2018 Batch A Timetable Released / Two Corpers Die In Accident On Taraba-Benue Road (Graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.