Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,747 members, 7,809,853 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:00 PM

HND Holders Have More Opportunities Than A B.sc 2.2. See Why.. - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / HND Holders Have More Opportunities Than A B.sc 2.2. See Why.. (39401 Views)

HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD / Is It Advisable For A B.sc Holder To Work As A LASTMA Official? / HND Holders For Direct M.sc Program (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: HND Holders Have More Opportunities Than A B.sc 2.2. See Why.. by Nobody: 3:08pm On May 14, 2015
HH:

see your poor English. na dat one you want take supervise person.......

See this intellectually diseased fellow starting up a duel that he cannot even compete in. When you make uncultured claims as you did, I expected you to do so in complete graphological, grammatical and syntactic perfection and also to point erring elements in my construction but sadly you chose to take the path of idiocy. You have only proven that HND holders such as yourself are half witted and bad mouthed.
Re: HND Holders Have More Opportunities Than A B.sc 2.2. See Why.. by dsul: 3:10pm On May 14, 2015
olaolu39:
With my experience so far in the job market, it is not a new thing that the opportunities created for an HND holder are getting wider than B.Sc holder who's got below a Upper second class.

Reason:
Many companies do not see a reason why they'd hire a graduate with high cost incurred when HND holders are there to give them a cost minimizing effort, more so a 2.2 graduate may not do any better.

Nowadays, Companies are found of hiring a contract staff whom HND holders are only invited/suitable, leaving behind the so called University graduates.

Somebody asked, 'why am I clamouring about having a University education in the first place??'

The truth:
1. There's always be 2.2 products no matter how.

2. Opportunities can be created with whatsoever qualifications you've got.

3. There is a job for everybody.

4. There is always a time for everybody's career breakthrough.

5. If with your certificate you are still stagnant, you may end up not getting a suiting job forever, no matter your qualification and grade.

6. If you have a 2.2 grade and people tell you how unlucky you would be in the job market and you believe them instead of devising your own strategy, it can even kill your own morale of achieving and aiming high.

Lesson:
1. If you are still in school, and people tell you it's not about grade, but people you know, and you believe them, I guess you might end up joining the groups of unemployed/under employed citizens.

2. You had better start thinking of how practicable your course can become when you graduate.

3. If you are a serving corps member and you are swayed away by the activities of NYSC, and not life afterwards, I pity you. The truth is that by the time you finish and just starting, you might end up frustrated, unlike if you start scouting as a corper, you won't be under any pressure.

......Tip of the iceberg by PstLao.

Expect more...My thought and findings
. NB nigerian and paper qualification. In germany degree or HND. U must be (handy) practically incline b4 getting a job.
Re: HND Holders Have More Opportunities Than A B.sc 2.2. See Why.. by chynergy1(m): 3:10pm On May 14, 2015
sorry, not for me again. I am into gaming, I m making my cash.
cant even remember when last I touched my certificates.
Re: HND Holders Have More Opportunities Than A B.sc 2.2. See Why.. by walex2(m): 3:11pm On May 14, 2015
Delusional and self-serving post!
Get a live rather than believing that life is just having good grades and work for someone.
Most successful people in live are not even a degree holder.
Having a 2.2 in Economics in some Nigeria University like OAU, UI and Unijos does not make u a lazy person. The class of your qualification solely depend on your institution and course of study. Having a 2.1 in some state-owned university in Nigeria and Some private universities are just like a third class degree to me.
Employers of nowadays are really more interested in what you can offer them or the value you will add to their establishments rather than your class of Degree.
A graduate in Julius-Berger earns between 50 to 60,000 per month, while some foreign technicians earns about 200 to 500,000 per month.
The major problem on Nigeria economy is our too much emphasis on degrees and many people do the unthinkable just to get the higher grades without anything upstairs. That is the reason Soludo said 60 percent of Nigeria graduates are unemployable.\
My friend please get a live.
Re: HND Holders Have More Opportunities Than A B.sc 2.2. See Why.. by Nobody: 3:13pm On May 14, 2015
butanep:
guy come out from sch first... there re difference between the sch life and the outside world...
Bros... Agreed but u are on a safer side if u build Ur "outside world" while in sch
Re: HND Holders Have More Opportunities Than A B.sc 2.2. See Why.. by iyamoliki: 3:21pm On May 14, 2015
You must be an HND holder. You know nothing.

1 Like

Re: HND Holders Have More Opportunities Than A B.sc 2.2. See Why.. by butanep(m): 3:24pm On May 14, 2015
DavidGodwin:

Bros... Agreed but u are on a safer side if u build Ur "outside world" while in sch
Agreed... but there are challenges you won't face while in sch that you will encounter in the outside world...

Preparations matter anyway but your certificate will still go a long way my guy... sometimes you need the certification to sell yourself...
Re: HND Holders Have More Opportunities Than A B.sc 2.2. See Why.. by adenyphemi(f): 3:34pm On May 14, 2015
Taylor86:
d only reason i know is

dey are comfortable with any pay(salary)

dats all

Not that they are comfortable with any" pay" but they tryn dr best to get something out of nothing.
Re: HND Holders Have More Opportunities Than A B.sc 2.2. See Why.. by butanep(m): 3:36pm On May 14, 2015
changevirus:
number 3 saved me...after my nysc in 2012,i and a frie
nd rented our own flat before he later rented his personal apartment..i was only unemployed for about two months after service and have been working since then....i wish corp members will listen nd resolve to work hard and forget about the fun fun fun in service
what do you mean by hard work during service... Make person nor catch fun again... after suffering in sch 4 about 5yrs, make person nor shake body... it all depends on where you re serving bro... there are some places you will be n have nothing to do outside just getting ur Cvs to people or checking for jobs Online...

Nysc is a time to relax ones's mind and prepare for the outside world... fun is still part of it...

2 Likes

Re: HND Holders Have More Opportunities Than A B.sc 2.2. See Why.. by kechywillz(m): 3:37pm On May 14, 2015
Man, i dont believe the crap u wrote their,People with 3rd class,2.2 get employed everyday
Re: HND Holders Have More Opportunities Than A B.sc 2.2. See Why.. by Nobody: 3:49pm On May 14, 2015
adenyphemi:

Not that they are comfortable with any" pay" but they tryn dr best to get something out of nothing.

love ur dp
Re: HND Holders Have More Opportunities Than A B.sc 2.2. See Why.. by LastProphet: 3:52pm On May 14, 2015
My brother got a 2.2 from a fed univ of tech, is a maths guru and read E/E but the school was too tough and even graduating with 3.0 CGPA was a feat of sorts in that school. Despite this the guy has hardly had interview opportunities in the last 5 yrs. Reason is that most people grad with 2.2 so employers just reduce number by asking for 2.1. Nowadays getting a 2.2 is a very bad thing I can tell you. Many people I know with 2.2 hardly get interviews. The edge for HND however is that in small firms where much professionalism isnt needed and where pay isnt too much, HND are now preferred NOWADAYS, but just like I said most of those places offer low pay. But on the other side, there are organizations where poly graduates can hardly enter AT ENTRY-LEVEL, and even if they do there are roles they are never given. Like multilateral organizations like world bank, UNDP, ADB, USAID, DFID, etc will hardly hire HND or even when they do they cannot sit with university grads. So there is a lesson for everybody to learn if you are not sentimental sha

1 Like

Re: HND Holders Have More Opportunities Than A B.sc 2.2. See Why.. by Akinyode4(m): 3:56pm On May 14, 2015
May Ur flow of wisdom never run dry...this surely had to be the best comment on this thread...some 2:2 are so painfully close to a 2:1 that only a transcript can vindicate ur standing...
Re: HND Holders Have More Opportunities Than A B.sc 2.2. See Why.. by blessingee: 4:01pm On May 14, 2015
Now i know all those that graduated with 2-2....see the way they are protesting grin grin grin grin grin oya shoki!!!!

1 Like

Re: HND Holders Have More Opportunities Than A B.sc 2.2. See Why.. by NigerMan1: 4:10pm On May 14, 2015
literarymathy:
Do not be deceived! There's nowhere in the world where HND and B.Sc compete. HND is a middle man technical degree whereas B.Sc is a managerial theoretical based degree. They both have their uses but a they can never be called equals. Even a 3rd class B.Sc holder stands a better chance of employability into certain firms than HND. Besides HND holders will find it extremely hard to enter into the lecturing profession unlike B.Sc holders. There's no way anyone can say these two certificates are equal. Saying so would yield to delusive thinking.
However, I do agree that HND holders have a better technical know how and stand a much higher chance of employability in practical, on-the-field jobs. However, B.Sc holders will end up being their supervisors. That's the sad truth of this bifurcation.
As for the 2.2 stuff; second class lower division is an average result. Granted, many of them may not stand as much chance as do 2.1 or 1.1 graduates or even given the opportunity to prove themselves, they are still much better than HND lower credit holders.

literarymathy - your assertion is a testimony that you younger generation were bred under an intense DISCRIMINATORY society and unfortunately this culture has become massively ingrained in most Nigerians like you. Yes I agree with the points you raised but suffice to say that they're 100% a Nigerian culture that first reared ts ugly head in the 70s under the Gowon Administration by those who felt THREATENED by the new breed of HND holders who're out-performing them in the workplaces.

However your belief about certificate is not practiced in advanced countries where VALUE and MERITS are the twin pillars their foundations are laid. If those countries were run like Nigeria today, China, US, France, Japan, Singapore, will be poorer and lagging behind like us today!

Finally literarymathy I think it smack of inferiority complex and reaping where one did not sow to describe another college graduate as "middle man" when you did not COMPETE with hm to determine who is BETTER? To determine who can be the BETTER leader say in 10 - 20 years?

Please remember that you're avidly supporting this satanic "Certificate Discrimination" because it favors you and/or it rubs your inner ego that you're 'better' than your fellow youth who you did not compete with to gain position.

My dear do not complain when you get discriminated against via other "Black Man" policies or reason such as tribe, quota system, state of origin, gender, height, 'man now man,' sexuality etc.

Many of you are crying for greater and successful NIGERIA - but you lack the wisdom and global knowledge that such society are solidly built upon an EGALITARIAN foundation which you hate so much.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: HND Holders Have More Opportunities Than A B.sc 2.2. See Why.. by gnykelly(m): 4:18pm On May 14, 2015
Bigdreams:
No matter what you graduated with, your mindset is the most important.

Check the image below:

absolute truth.
Re: HND Holders Have More Opportunities Than A B.sc 2.2. See Why.. by Nasri100(m): 4:39pm On May 14, 2015
LastProphet:
My brother got a 2.2 from a fed univ of tech, is a maths guru and read E/E but the school was too tough and even graduating with 3.0 CGPA was a feat of sorts in that school. Despite this the guy has hardly had interview opportunities in the last 5 yrs. Reason is that most people grad with 2.2 so employers just reduce number by asking for 2.1. Nowadays getting a 2.2 is a very bad thing I can tell you. Many people I know with 2.2 hardly get interviews. The edge for HND however is that in small firms where much professionalism isnt needed and where pay isnt too much, HND are now preferred NOWADAYS, but just like I said most of those places offer low pay. But on the other side, there are organizations where poly graduates can hardly enter AT ENTRY-LEVEL, and even if they do there are roles they are never given. Like multilateral organizations like world bank, UNDP, ADB, USAID, DFID, etc will hardly hire HND or even when they do they cannot sit with university grads. So there is a lesson for everybody to learn if you are not sentimental sha

Disagree. I have friends that graduated with 2:2 and are currently selecting jobs. Its all about networking. Besides, courses like Engineering, Physics and Maths actually have high demands of people in the second class category.
Re: HND Holders Have More Opportunities Than A B.sc 2.2. See Why.. by chukkystar(m): 4:45pm On May 14, 2015
kosalabaro:
Who the hell posted this shit?
i swear it's total rubbish
Re: HND Holders Have More Opportunities Than A B.sc 2.2. See Why.. by Ephemmm: 5:06pm On May 14, 2015
literarymathy:
Do not be deceived! There's nowhere in the world where HND and B.Sc compete. HND is a middle man technical degree whereas B.Sc is a managerial theoretical based degree. They both have their uses but a they can never be called equals. Even a 3rd class B.Sc holder stands a better chance of employability into certain firms than HND. Besides HND holders will find it extremely hard to enter into the lecturing profession unlike B.Sc holders. There's no way anyone can say these two certificates are equal. Saying so would yield to delusive thinking.
However, I do agree that HND holders have a better technical know how and stand a much higher chance of employability in practical, on-the-field jobs. However, B.Sc holders will end up being their supervisors. That's the sad truth of this bifurcation.
As for the 2.2 stuff; second class lower division is an average result. Granted, many of them may not stand as much chance as do 2.1 or 1.1 graduates or even given the opportunity to prove themselves, they are still much better than HND lower credit holders.

This is why I will always give respect to my Managing Director. Whether you are 1st Class Bsc holder or Upper Credit HND holder, aptitude and proficiency will reveal everything. Is it everybody that got good grade while in school through their efforts nowadays? I know of a politician who graduated with us while in school without stepping his foot in the school premises. This is Nigeria where anything goes: only few get their certificates in a rightful way.

The last vacancy in my organization was occupied by a HND holder of Federal Polytechnic, Ede who finished with Upper Credit despite the fact that we have more Bsc holders: why all these ranting here and there on nairaland? The truth is that the passion, the determination and willingness efforts a students exerted goes a long way to help them in their career.

It is high time Nigerians employers concentrates on skills acquisition and proficiency instead of 'certificate worshipping'.
Re: HND Holders Have More Opportunities Than A B.sc 2.2. See Why.. by Nobody: 5:24pm On May 14, 2015
Ephemmm:

This is why I will always give respect to my Managing Director. Whether you are 1st Class Bsc holder or Upper Credit HND holder, aptitude and proficiency will reveal everything. Is it everybody that got good grade while in school through their efforts nowadays? I know of a politician who graduated with us while in school without stepping its foot in the school premises. This is Nigeria where anything goes: only few get their certificates in a rightful way.

The last vacancy in my organization was occupied by a HND holder of Federal Polytechnic, Ede who finished with Upper Credit despite the fact that we have more Bsc holders: why all these ranting here and there on nairaland? The truth is that the passion, the determination and willingness efforts a students exerted goes a long way to help them in their career.

It is high time Nigerians employers concentrates on skills acquisition and proficiency instead of 'certificate worshipping'.

Well said. But the truth and the reality are world's apart. Let's face the reality and pray the truth becomes so soonest.

1 Like

Re: HND Holders Have More Opportunities Than A B.sc 2.2. See Why.. by babyfaceafrica: 6:02pm On May 14, 2015
DavidGodwin:

na so una dey talk... If there is a job appointment in the school, I bet they'll consider 4.49 as u have said, before considering 3.50.
dey decieve ursef
Re: HND Holders Have More Opportunities Than A B.sc 2.2. See Why.. by Soleymania(m): 6:07pm On May 14, 2015
The higher institution of graduation matters, so an HND from Yabatech isn't better than a Degree from FUOYE,Aaua? Or someone that studied Primary education from Tasued, and a civil engineering Hnd from The poly ibadan( The only Poly) See, personal development is the main thing..........and cash @hand...............
Re: HND Holders Have More Opportunities Than A B.sc 2.2. See Why.. by Nobody: 6:14pm On May 14, 2015
@OP Grades & Certifications matter as far as getting your foot into the door - but from there on, it is your Experience (Intellect and Skill derived from various repeated activities) that employers are looking for. if you can demonstrate that in your Resume/CV.. they will take notice. I have also notice the trend in employers to declare they want a 2.2 class material but employ a widely-experienced 3rd class graduate or HND applicant for the same position. EXPERIENCE is all that matters
Re: HND Holders Have More Opportunities Than A B.sc 2.2. See Why.. by Dujardin(m): 6:39pm On May 14, 2015
Well, as long as this criteria is concerned, there are 2 types of employers

1. Those who prioritize grade: in d application area, they wud give the minimum grad that can apply for the job and stand by it. They blive in d principle of, "Brain first, then others follow". They wud train to achieve their expected employee. i tink dis practice isn't realistic in today's education system where students wud do anything to pass!

2. Those who prioritize charisma: they wanna hear ur brain talk thru a medium (ur mouth). they want raw and crude productivity not expected productivity. This is mostly practiced by firm who fund less in training staffs.

1 Like

Re: HND Holders Have More Opportunities Than A B.sc 2.2. See Why.. by Dovy: 7:09pm On May 14, 2015
chynergy1:
sorry, not for me again. I am into gaming, I m making my cash.
cant even remember when last I touched my certificates.
pls send ur email address to me dannynnamani@gmail.com
Re: HND Holders Have More Opportunities Than A B.sc 2.2. See Why.. by HH(m): 7:13pm On May 14, 2015
literarymathy:

See this intellectually diseased fellow starting up a duel that he cannot even compete in. When you make uncultured claims as you did, I expected you to do so in complete graphological, grammatical and syntactic perfection and also to point erring elements in my construction but sadly you chose to take the path of idiocy. You have only proven that HND holders such as yourself are half witted and bad mouthed.

I no get your time.......get your English fixed if you must argue shitss
Re: HND Holders Have More Opportunities Than A B.sc 2.2. See Why.. by ossy4rill: 7:45pm On May 14, 2015
literarymathy:
. Even a 3rd class B.Sc holder stands a better chance of employability into certain firms than HND.

You are not in Nigeria. Na only government work ooh, nowadays many companies put all of un in the same hall to write exam. anybody wey fail pack your things home. Your Bsc, B.ENg wont save you. As for 3rd class you can go 4 rears without bein invited to write an exam not to talk about getting work.

But with GOD 3rd class dey work for AGIP
Re: HND Holders Have More Opportunities Than A B.sc 2.2. See Why.. by olaolu39(m): 7:58pm On May 14, 2015
I salute everyone's opinion:

However, it is not a final say by the OP
But truth be told from the generality of job seekers and employers.
Big companies (in Nigeria) nowadays don't call for ''show me how skillful you are'' prior to reducing the number of applicants by quoting grade requirement.

NB: Opportunities doesn't necessarily mean the the former is better than the latter or vice versa.

**Naija Factor in all...
Re: HND Holders Have More Opportunities Than A B.sc 2.2. See Why.. by Hero10001: 8:38pm On May 14, 2015
Drdaps:
First class or tenth class just have something upstairs
Then you are good to go
Walahi fah.
Or if you sabi big pple like Jagaban, na manager straight.
My cert just dey waste for house.
Re: HND Holders Have More Opportunities Than A B.sc 2.2. See Why.. by Pimiento(m): 9:04pm On May 14, 2015
WHATEVER. I got both HND and Bsc at Upper Credit and 2.1 respectively
Re: HND Holders Have More Opportunities Than A B.sc 2.2. See Why.. by Agbonjie(m): 9:36pm On May 14, 2015
2.2 doesn't mean u are lazy. There are factors that could make one graduate with 2.2 but in which ever case Nigeria want to see 2.1 or 1st class not the brain. So many 3rd class are better than many 2.1. They couldn't get 2.1 majorly because of lecturer factors which they called sorting, blocking or tidy.
Re: HND Holders Have More Opportunities Than A B.sc 2.2. See Why.. by Jkvivi2020: 10:58pm On May 14, 2015
1. A b.s.c. Holder and h.n.d holder are not the same.
2. Even a third class graduate in b.s.c. Is higher than upper credit h.n.d.
3. A 2:2 graduate is a certified graduate. It is not easy to have 2:2 you must work very hard.
4. certificate does not matter in employment.The most richest people in the world today does not have a degree.
5. A lot of people today both past and present use influence to get a job without a certificate.
6. Nobody should criticize b.s.c. And h.n.d. Holders. If you are not satisfy with your degree then you work hard and have the two degree.

Professor donald

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Queen Of England Honours Nasir Yammama, CEO Verdant Agri-Tech (Pics) / 15k Salary As A Graduate: How Are You Coping? / Nigerian Police Uniform In 1948

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.