Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,234 members, 7,822,206 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:21 AM

How Nigeria Could Acquire Neighbouring Republic Of Benin - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Nigeria Could Acquire Neighbouring Republic Of Benin (2339 Views)

11 Possibly Great Modern Presidents Nigeria Could Have (Pics) / Nigeria Could Teach The West A Few Things - Bloomberg / How Nigeria Must Deal With Biafra - Cramjones (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Nigeria Could Acquire Neighbouring Republic Of Benin by canuck(m): 1:04pm On May 15, 2015
Following a meeting with President-Elect Buhari yesterday, Republic of Benin's President, Mr. Thomas Boni Yayi said, "‎Benin is the 37th state of Nigeria, and 55 percent of population in Benin comes from Nigeria, you know I am at home here." (See: https://www.nairaland.com/2315626/benin-republic-nigerias-37th-state#33757625)

It got me thinking that a forward-looking government in Nigeria could consider acquiring Republic of Benin!

Yeah, yeah, what has Nigeria done with its population of 170 million that an additional 10 million would hold out any benefit? Answer: I did say "forward-looking", so the benefits will be in the future. In international land matters and demographics economics, more is supremely better than less.

Referencing the experience of the US, there are at least 5 options open to Nigeria:

(1) Negotiate a purchase like some US territorial acquisitions >> A somewhat fair price is negotiated and paid, but the buying country usually has the power in negotiation
- Alaska bought from Russia for $7.2 million in 1867 (equivalent to $121 million in present day terms)
- Puerto Rico+Guam+The Philippines bought from Spain for $20 million in 1898 (equivalent to $567 million in present day terms)
- Louisiana bought from France for $15 million in 1803 (equivalent to $236 million in present day terms)

(2) Open Ended Lease. . .for pittance >> Basically exercise ownership rights on the land for nothing; keep your military base close just in case
- Guantánamo Bay leased from Cuba in 1901 for $2,000 in U.S. gold coins per year, renegotiated in 1934 to $4,085/year

(3) Direct Annexation. . .because you are bigger >> Here, you are "chancing" the smaller country and taking its land
- Texas annexation in 1845 (Crimea moves)

(4) Indirect Annexation. . .have someone else do the dirty job >> Give some time for the dust to settle, then absorb the proxy government
- A group of businessmen funded a coup that overthrew Hawaii's Queen Lili'uokalani in 1893. Initially, the US turned down a request by the new government for annexation (wink-wink). Five years later, Hawaii joined the US and all its citizens given US citizenship.

(5) Military Conquest. . .bring out the big guns and damn the consequences >> Survival of the fittest, biggest and strongest
- Mexican Cessation Lands comprising California was lost by Mexico to the US following the Mexican–American War of 1846–48

We could make President Yayi's wish a reality after all! LOL!

What do you think?

1 Like

Re: How Nigeria Could Acquire Neighbouring Republic Of Benin by canuck(m): 1:06pm On May 15, 2015
Proximity is an advantage and will make absorption easier.
Re: How Nigeria Could Acquire Neighbouring Republic Of Benin by Nobody: 1:09pm On May 15, 2015
hmmmm...wat an analyses....buh judging from our predicament at the moment, I don't think our government would like 2 take that step cos...gbese po lorun naija...2 much gbese
Re: How Nigeria Could Acquire Neighbouring Republic Of Benin by Chimezie250(m): 1:10pm On May 15, 2015
That thing you are taking is not good for you
Re: How Nigeria Could Acquire Neighbouring Republic Of Benin by canuck(m): 1:15pm On May 15, 2015
2undexy:
hmmmm...wat an analyses....buh judging from our predicament at the moment, I don't think our government would like 2 take that step cos...gbese po lorun naija...2 much gbese

True, but taking on debt to acquire landed property is actually an investment.

Problem is that Nigeria's debt has historically ended up in private pockets, so no value for the country.

You wan try US debt?

Re: How Nigeria Could Acquire Neighbouring Republic Of Benin by canuck(m): 1:19pm On May 15, 2015
Chimezie250:
That thing you are taking is not good for you

Hahahahahahahaaaaa!!! Dare to dream. . .and while you are at it, dream BIG! cheesy
Re: How Nigeria Could Acquire Neighbouring Republic Of Benin by Lobolintin(m): 1:37pm On May 15, 2015
Already indirectly Nigeria has two Benin... One in Edo and one close to Ogun...hahahaha
Re: How Nigeria Could Acquire Neighbouring Republic Of Benin by canuck(m): 1:46pm On May 15, 2015
Lobolintin:
Already indirectly Nigeria has two Benin... One in Edo and one close to Ogun...hahahaha

Republic of Benin could be known as Benin West or given a brand new name.

After all, it used to be called Dahomey. "Republic of Benin" was only given to the country in 1990.
Re: How Nigeria Could Acquire Neighbouring Republic Of Benin by bsolo1(m): 2:23pm On May 15, 2015
canuck:

Hahahahahahahaaaaa!!! Dare to dream. . .and while you are at it, dream BIG! cheesy

supposing Nigeria's president is Putin by now Benin Republic would have been declared as Nigeria after dat statement from Yayi..
Re: How Nigeria Could Acquire Neighbouring Republic Of Benin by Ikengawo: 2:44pm On May 15, 2015
This an extremely stupid and irresponsible thing for a head of state to call his own country an unofficial state of another country. If i were from Benin Rep. I'd be very offended and worried. It shows how little African leaders know about what a country is or is supposed to be.
Re: How Nigeria Could Acquire Neighbouring Republic Of Benin by sunboy(m): 3:22pm On May 15, 2015
@op: please wake up from your slumbers!

1. Benin like most French colonies are still semi-soverign nations that the French government still controls up to their military, their central bank, and other strongest policies they make must past through their masters table.

2. About 2-3 years ago, the French President openly said and I quote "France needs Africa to survive" , this Africa he meant are their colonies.

3. If you have visited these French colonies, u will see how their natives are so poor and u see the French running the economy.

4. French Africa colonies are like annex or backyard for the French citizen till today.

5. French will do everything it can to retain in control in those colonies unlike the British and Portuguese that gave true freedom without any interference to its colonies.

6. Lastly, who will continue to pay the "colonization fees" that he French colonies are paying the France government just for colonizing them ?

I feel hurt in my heart when I see how wicked French is doing in Africa sad they run them so that they will never wake up, a few countries in the North Africa are waking up gradually but the likes in West Africa are still sleeping, and are caged already. If you try to annexation on a French Colony just accept that you declared war with France! Shikenan!

My opinion!

3 Likes

Re: How Nigeria Could Acquire Neighbouring Republic Of Benin by Orunto: 3:25pm On May 15, 2015
A referendum of their people should form the basis of their application to the UN for infomation and record purposes to annex to Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: How Nigeria Could Acquire Neighbouring Republic Of Benin by Alphaoscar: 3:47pm On May 15, 2015
This is a dream that will never come to pass. Just forget such a thought.
Re: How Nigeria Could Acquire Neighbouring Republic Of Benin by canuck(m): 9:46am On May 16, 2015
Ikengawo:
This an extremely stupid and irresponsible thing for a head of state to call his own country an unofficial state of another country. If i were from Benin Rep. I'd be very offended and worried. It shows how little African leaders know about what a country is or is supposed to be.

I hear you; President Yayi was neither presidential nor statesman-like by saying Rep of Benin is the 37th state of Nigeria.

I guess he knows Nigerians are generally pompous and he said what we'd like to hear grin

A Canadian Prime Minister who says the country is the 51st state of the US will be called back/impeached by his Riding (or constituency) ASAP. However, in international politics and global economics, Canada IS the unofficial 51st of the US - Even at US airports today, Canadians are directed to the "US Citizens Only" line and the Canadian passport works on the immigration scanning machines exactly like a US passport! So, who is fooling who now? LOL!

(1) (Reply)

Lagos And Life Expectancy (must Read) / Buhari Lied Against Us- Radio Biafra / PHOTOS: Senator Afikuyomi's Son Graduates With 1st Class In Economics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.