Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,037 members, 7,818,067 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:45 AM

Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. - Sports (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. (248758 Views)

Nigeria Vs South Africa 2019 AFCON Qualifiers: 0 - 2 (Full Time) / Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) / Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (161) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 6:43pm On Jun 12, 2015
Chad Team In Bonus Crisis.
—Arrive In Kaduna For Eagles Clash.

Nigeria’s Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers opponents, Chad, arrived in Kaduna Friday morning in crisis ahead of Saturday’s Group E clash at the Ahmadu Bello stadium.
The Chadian FA are reportedly yet to pay the players’ bonuses for the CEMAC Cup they won recently and, according to comple tesportsnigeria.com Chadian source Nang Yadji Natabe, the squad got ejected from their hotel in Paris, where they prepared for the Super Eagles match.
“The Chad team have got some problems about money,” Natabe informed comple tesportsnigeria.com.
“Players were not paid enough. They were even put out from the hotel where they stayed because the delegation didn’t pay the bill.”
Chad, coached by Frenchman Emmanuel Tregoat, defeated Guinea 2-1 in preparatory game last week in Paris.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/chad-team-in-bonus-crisis/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 7:23pm On Jun 12, 2015
Nigeria vs. Chad: Key Questions for Super Eagles in Kaduna.
Stephen Keshi's men are overwhelming favourites against Les Sao, but a tendency to implode means their sternest test on Saturday may come from within.
The failure of Stephen Keshi’s Super Eaglesto qualify for the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations served as a timely reminder of his (and our) mortality. That said, to fail to qualify for two in a row would be truly unprecedented; it is not a record the Big Boss wants on his CV.
His slack-jawed, almost liquid drawl and insouciant demeanour does not lend itself to a man who looks too far ahead, but somewhere in the back of his mind lurks the spectre of Egypt, dancing like a mirage in the desert. By composition of the group, it is virtually impossible to escape the fact that qualification will come down to a duel with the Pharaohs, two rounds of poker with the inscrutable Sphinx led by the experienced Hector Cuper.
Chad will however come into Saturday’s opening qualifier intent on causing an upset. Les Sao cannot realistically expect to qualify; no, the aggregate of their aims is simply to constitute a nuisance, be a stone in the shoe. There will be no fairy-tale for Emmanuel Tregoat’s side – he is no Claude LeRoy, after all. Their game will focus on limiting the potential for damage.
This means the test for the Super Eagles will come from within. Here are three questions that must be addressed if Nigeria is to begin her qualification campaign on a proper footing.
Will Kaduna work for or against us?
The choice of Kaduna has generated a lot of debate, with opinion split on both sides. This writer has expressed the view previously that it actually has its merits, but the scepticism of others is justifiable. The temperatures in the old capital of the Northern region at this time of year are quite high, indeed Goal Nigeria Chief Editor Lolade Adewuyi referred to it as a “furnace belching”.
Allied to that, there are security concerns among the players, a point team captain Vincent Enyeama raised in speaking with the press. While his statement, admitting the players were grudging guests, was a PR no-no (it does not exactly endear the team to the fans), the concerns themselves are not unfounded.
However, the team has to get a handle on this, and prevent it from escalating into full-scale discontent. It would not do for them to wield it as a ready-made excuse, in the event of an unfavourable result – Nigerians would not go for it.
Will Keshi cast off restraint?
There are no morals in football tactics, and rectitude is determined after the fact by results. Still, it remains broadly accepted that reactive, dull football is the preserve of poor to average teams, while proactive, expansive fare is served at the table of top teams. What category Nigeria falls into can be debated endlessly, but what cannot be argued is the expectation from the Nigerian population of the latter.
Of course, they expect to win even more, and that is the term under which stodgy, functional football can be tolerated. This explains why the tide turned so swiftly against Keshi when the wheels started coming off: peel back the sheen of results and what is left is stodgy, un-functional football. The only thing worse than losing is losing while playing badly.
So, will his second stint be different?
Tomorrow may be only his first game back, but it will offer a window into what he is trying to do. The team has struggled for flair in the no. 10 zone, something Keshi has sought to remedy by rolling the dice on Rabiu Ibrahim. Will this be enough to get his team playing attractive football finally, especially against a Chad team that will concentrate on defence?
Can the team handle Mikel absence?
The Chelsea midfielder may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but within Keshi’s team he has played a role that not many can replicate. He is the passer from deep, dictating the tempo of the game and aiding ball retention. There may be doubts about his application, but never about his ability.
Which is why it was surprising to hear Keshi state he does not need Mikel for the game against Chad. This sounds like classic Keshi-speak; he spent over a year insisting Stoke forward Peter Odemwingie was in his plans in 2013, without actually calling him up!
Allowing that he was being honest, this is a huge show of faith in Estoril’s Anderson Esiti. The 21-year-old is very capable, but what this means is that the team could file out against Chad with an unfamiliar midfield. What this means, in terms of performance? Your guess is as good as mine.
www.goal.com

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 7:33pm On Jun 12, 2015
Rabiu Looks to Shake off Okocha Burden.
The burden of Okocha’s heir - Rabiu Ibrahim looks to a brighter Nigeria career
The AS Trencin midfielder hopes to play a big part in Stephen Keshi’s new reign after almost a decade of trying to transit from youth team star to adult hero.
Many people could swear that they had seen the next Austin ‘Jay Jay’ Okocha when Rabiu Ibrahim burst onto the scene in 2007 as a member of the victorious Nigeria U17 side.
The diminutive 5’7in tall midfielder had it all – the swift turn, the array of juggling skills, the gait, vision and joy to watch that made for comparison with the Nigeria legend.
All that was left for him after the Golden Eaglets triumphed in South Korea was to take his place in the Super Eagles and coolly replace Jay Jay.
However, his fate was not written so smoothly and the now 24-year-old would have to go through difficulty before reaching for the stars.
A spell in Portugal with Sporting Lisbon without making it to the senior side led to further travels across Europe as he moved to PSV, Celtic and Kilmarnock in search of fulfillment.
After nearly seven years in the wilderness and a shocking incident where he collapsed on a pitch in Scotland, Ibrahim made his way to the cold of Slovakia where he found a home with AS Trencin.
He ended last season with his first true silverware since that victory in Asia in 2007. Playing 17 games (12 starts) and scoring four goals in a team that had compatriots Kingsley Madu and Emmanuel Edmond, Ibrahim and Trencin won the Slovakian Super Liga for the first time.
He also scored a goal in the Slovak Cup final as Trencin defeated Senica via penalties after full time ended 2-2.
With this confidence, Ibrahim arrived the Super Eagles camp after being called up by coach Stephen Keshi for Friday’s 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying game against Chad in Kaduna.
“I had a great time last season where we won the League and Cup in Slovakia. I did very well and I’m happy about it,” Ibrahim told Goal at the Africa Continental Hotel. “I have overcome the injuries, I’m very fit now and there are no problems.
“I feel very happy to be invited and if given the opportunity I would give my best and work hard for the team to help it win more trophies,” he said.
Finally emerging from the burden of being compared to the great Okocha at the beginning of his career, Ibrahim talks about a bitter-sweet experience.
“I felt so happy and at the same time it was quite heavy for me because Okocha was a huge player and one of the best in the world,” he said.
“I always looked at him as my legend but at the same time the task was big because he was a great player. “
He goes philosophical about the past and its problems. “I take everything as part of life but I’m happy I’m back and better now.”
The spirit in the Nigeria camp is very positive, says Rabiu Ibrahim
Under Keshi who has not had a traditional creative midfielder since taking over the role, Ibrahim could be set to fill in that gap.
“I have this strong feeling that I would have the opportunity to play as a playmaker or elsewhere, all I really need is the opportunity to prove myself,’ he said.
Ibrahim’s confidence is backed by the knowledge that there is a lot of positive vibes among the players after Nigeria’s failure to qualify for the last Afcon.
“I like the spirit in the camp, everybody seems to be nice and there’s no group in the team.
“The captain is a great leader and he carries everyone along. It helps the young and the new players to be treated equally. Team work starts from the camp before we take it to the field,” he said.
Born in Kano, about three hours away from Kaduna in Nigeria's arid north, Ibrahim is feeling at ease with local fans cheering his impressive feints during training inside the Ahmadu Bello Stadium.
“It’s like I’m back home to play in front of my northern people and I’m really pleased with the support they have given us during training. I am happy and I would say we need more support on Saturday,” he said.
Many hope that Ibrahim can finally cast off the shadows of Okocha and become his own man.
m.goal.com/x/en-ng/news/12642742

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 7:24am On Jun 13, 2015
Keshi keeps Eagles’ List Against Chad Secret.

Super Eagles’ Chief Coach Stephen Keshi is keeping his players and most especially his assistants guessing as regards the first eleven that will do battle against Chad in today’s first match of the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON).
SportingLife investigations revealed that none of the coaches could say with all confidence the line-up of the Super Eagles that will face Chad today.
An Assistant Coach of the team confessed to SportingLife yesterday that nobody can lay claim to having knowledge of the players that will play the match today with the exception of team Captain Vincent Enyeama.
“Let me tell you, honestly speaking, that nobody among the technical crew can beat his chest to reel out the line-up that will play tomorrow’s (today’s) match against Chad. The Boss (Stephen Keshi) is keeping the line-up very secret. He has even told us that the team list will be known tomorrow (this) morning. We all have input in the list but the final verdict lies with the Chief Coach”, the Assistant Coach disclosed.
Another backroom staff of the team that watched Friday morning’s close door training also confirmed the report when he told SportingLife:“This morning’s training did not leak the possible line up. There was nothing like two aside where one can deduce the possible players and the probable ones. The Chief Coach lined up all defenders on one side, midfielders on another side and attackers on another side. The line-up for tomorrow’s (today’s) match is a top secret my brother”, the source disclosed.
Some of the few sports reporters that came to cover the morning training even alleged that Keshi fenced the journalists off from the morning training so that they won’t go and sell the tape to Chad before today’s match.
thenationonlineng.net/new/keshi-keeps-eagles-list-against-chad-secret/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 7:39am On Jun 13, 2015
Eagles Ready to Crush Chad-Oboabona.

Super Eagles defender Godfrey Oboabona has revealed that he is ready to give a top notch performance to ensure that the team defeats Chad at the Ahmadu Bello Stadium in Kaduna for the 2017 AFCON qualifier.
“The players, coaches and staff are like one family and we train, we give 100% and make sure that we really work hard so that we can achieve good result,” he toldfootballlive.ng.
Eagles have camped in Kaduna since the start of the week putting finishing touches to their preparation towards the crunch tie and the Rizespor defender attests to the fact that all the players in camp are ready to give more than 100%, but says critics are always too quick to judge the performance of players.
“Any time I get invited to play for the national team, I always make sure I give my very best, it’s just that some people don’t know what players are going through, but I still manage to do my best.”
Oboabona, 24, made 19 league appearances scoring one goal in the 1-1 draw with Erciyesspor in the TurkishSuper Liglast season. He was able to help Rizespor to a 15th place finish thereby, missing out on European football.
thenationonlineng.net/new/eagles-ready-to-crush-chad-oboabona/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 7:46am On Jun 13, 2015
AFCON Qualifiers Get Underway

Plenty of goals but few upsets are likely outcomes when the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) qualifying competition kicks off Friday.
All the first and second seeds in the 12 four-team groups enjoy home advantage, giving them a distinct early edge as they compete for 15 places at the tournament in Gabon.
Recently appointed Senegal coach and former captain Aliou Cisse said “favourites” in football matches are a figment of journalists’ imaginations.
“Favourites belong in newspapers,” he said, scornfully dismissing the popular term as he announced a squad to play Burundi in Dakar.
But what other tag could be stuck on former African champions Tunisia when the country host tiny Djibouti, the third lowest ranked national football team in the world and 178 places behind the North Africans?
Damage limitation will surely be the loftiest ambition for Djibouti, a nation that has conceded nine goals in Kenya and eight in Malawi in past qualifiers, supersport.com says.
Algeria at home to the Seychelles is another fixture that has a home victory and a glut of goals written all over it.
166 places divide them on the world rankings and while Algeria is a regular AFCON participant, Seychelles has never come close to qualifying.
Seychelles coach Ulrich Mathiot admitted his team will likely defend with 10 men for most of the match in Blida, south of Algiers.
“We have no choice,” he conceded. “All-out attack would be suicidal against Algeria, a great team with great individual footballers.” Seychelles has been a little more successful than Djibouti when it comes to containing powerful opponents with five-goal losses in Zimbabwe and Tunisia the worst defeats.
Ghana, runners-up to the Ivory Coast in the 2015 Cup of Nations last February, and three-time champions Nigeria are other countries facing countries ranked far lower. Mauritius goes to Accra with goalkeeper Kevin Jean-Louis in excellent form, but there is no evidence to suggest the team can bridge a 142-place gap in the rankings. Arch-predator Asamoah Gyan has recovered from injury to lead the Ghana attack, although injured creator Andre Ayew misses out.
There is considerable excitement among Ghanaians over Bernard Mensah, a 20-year-old midfielder with a venomous shot who plays in Portugal and is reportedly being watched by Manchester United.
Nigeria has been on a Cup of Nations roller-coaster, eliminating favourites Ivory Coast en route to lifting the trophy in 2013, but failing to qualify for the tournament this year.
Stephen Keshi is back in charge of the team and respects Chad, who lies 129 places lower in the world. “Football in Africa today is dynamic and we have to respect all teams and prepare well,” stressed the coach affectionately called “Big Boss.”
Keshi has dismissed reports that he axed John Obi Mikel, insisting the Chelsea midfielder is being “rested.”
thenationonlineng.net/new/afcon-qualifiers-get-underway/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 7:51am On Jun 13, 2015
Eagles Prepared for Chad – Shorunmu.

Goalkeeper Trainer of the Super Eagles, Ike Shorunmu, has voiced it loud and clear that the team is ready to take on Chad in the first qualifying match of the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) at the Ahmadu Bello Stadium, Kaduna, today.
The shy but amiable former Eagles goal tender told SportingLife in an exclusive chat at the Ahmadu Bello Stadium, Kaduna, that the Chief Coach of the team has worked hard on putting the team on a good level to deliver the goods against Chad today.
“The response of the players in the trainings we have had so far has been very encouraging. We only hope and pray that it will be reflected in tomorrow’s (today’s) game.
“As regards the blending of the newly invited players with the ones already in the team, it has been okay. But it is certain that we can’t have 100 percent blending now since the time is too short to achieve that. I would say right now we have gotten to the stage of 70 percent, blending-wise and the team will continue to gel as the players have more time together. But for tomorrow’s game I think we are in a good position and form to get the needed victory against Chad.
“As for the fight for shirts in the goalkeeping area of the team, it has been very interesting because all the invited goalkeepers have been proving themselves in the training sessions we have had.
“One thing I want people to understand is that if you are called to the national team, that means you are very good and very important too. I never pray for any bad thing to happen to our goalkeepers, but as it stands now Vincent (Enyeama) is our number one goalkeeper”, Shorunmu told SportingLife in Kaduna yesterday.
Team Coordinator and former international Patrick Pascal has revealed that the Eagles will be banking on the full support of Kaduna fans to beat visiting Chad in today’s match.
“The support of the Kaduna fans has been massive for the team since we arrived in Kaduna on Monday. So I can tell you without mincing words that Kaduna fans will be Eagles’ 12th man on the field of play and we are counting on them to throw their full weight behind the team in tomorrow’s match so that we can beat Chad convincingly”, Pascal told SportingLife in Kaduna yesterday.
thenationonlineng.net/new/eagles-prepared-for-chad-shorunmu/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 7:59am On Jun 13, 2015
Omeruo to Eagles: No Mercy for Chad.

Nigeria defender Kenneth Omeruo says they have to start with a win in their 2017 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) qualifier against Chad today.
The 21-year old, a member of the Super Eagles’ that failed to qualify for the last AFCON, says the first game is always important.
“I think the first thing is to try to win this game, the first game,” he toldNews24, “The first game is always very important and everyone knows what is at stake.
“We all know the reaction we will get if we perform badly, so we are going to give everything to make sure we win the game,” he said.
The Super Eagles, three-time African champions, begin their quest to qualify for the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations to be staged in Gabon, after failing to make the last edition in Equatorial Guinea as defending champions.
They will play Chad’s Le Saoat the Ahmadu Bello Stadium in Kaduna today in their first game of the series.
The Chadians arrived in Abuja on yesterday morning from France, where they camped ahead of the game and travelled to Kaduna, where they had a feel of the Stadium yesterday evening.
thenationonlineng.net/new/omeruo-to-eagles-no-mercy-for-chad/

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Nobody: 1:27pm On Jun 13, 2015
Wao, Ibrahim Rabiu is cute. . I fear for the young man highly talked about to replace Okocha. I personally think, he will do better with Haruna Lukman in midfield. There is this synergy between them. they will make a perfect combo..

I pray he does not end up like Ramon Azeez who is a Zidane in training but does woefully in midfield. ..

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Nobody: 1:28pm On Jun 13, 2015
Wao, Ibrahim Rabiu is cute. . I fear for the young man highly talked about to replace Okocha. I personally think, he will do better with Haruna Lukman in midfield. There is this synergy between them. they will make a perfect combo..

I pray he does not end up like Ramon Azeez who is a Zidane in training but does woefully in a match . ..

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by adegwurulez(m): 6:34pm On Jun 13, 2015
Daninya11:

I pray he does not end up like Ramon Azeez who is a Zidane in training but does woefully in a match . ..
He was one of the bright spots in today's match, i think he'll do great but we should drop the okocha comparison for now, it does no good.

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 7:58am On Jun 14, 2015
Enyeama Begs Nigerians Don’t Call Us Super Chickens.

Super Eagles’ first choice goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama has appealed to Nigerians for total support, as he stressed that the team is starting afresh and the task of getting the desired result is a collective responsibility.
He lamented that the tag Super Chickens normally referred to the Super Eagles after a poor outing dampens the morale and confidence of the players.
“All we need Nigerians to understand is that we’re starting a new phase, we want Nigerians to start with us afresh, everything brand new .
“Not the super chickens thing that is bygone. When you call the players super chicken it does not inspire confidence to play. We need to put it behind us and forge ahead. The entire country needs to be one team and go for the kill against opponents not turn on your own,’ the Eagles Captain told www.footballlive.ng.
thenationonlineng.net/new/enyeama-begs-nigerians-dont-call-us-super-chickens/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 8:01am On Jun 14, 2015
Omeruo Thanks Keshi for Believing in Him.

Chelsea defender Kenneth Omeruo has thanked national team boss Stephen Keshi for believing in him after he was selected in the 2-0 win over Chad yesterday as Nigeria began their 2017 AFCON qualifiers on a clean slate.
The 21-year-old, who spent last season on loan at Championship side Middleborough was paired alongside debutant William Troost-Ekong and together they marshaled the three-time Nations Cup Champions defense to a clean sheet in Keshi’s first game in charge after he was reappointed as manager of the team.
Warri Wolves powerhouse Gbolohan Salami opened scoring for the Nigerian team in the 63rd minutes before Watford striker Odion Ighalo scored from the penalty spot to make it 2-0 for the Super Eagles despite Ogenyi Onazi seeing red in the encounter.
Omeruo posted on his Twitter handle: ‘Am so happy for today’s victory especially for the manager Stephen Keshi for his believe in me and on the team. I can only give my heart out.’
Omeruo also hailed the support of fans inside the Ahmadu Bello stadium who cheered the team on even after a goalless first half.
‘Great atmosphere today..Great support..3 points claimed..Thanks to all our fans,’he tweeted.
Nigeria will next be in action on September 4 when they travel to Tanzania to face the Taifa Stars.
thenationonlineng.net/new/omeruo-thanks-keshi-for-believing-in-him/

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 10:46am On Jun 14, 2015
Eagles Get $5000 Winning Bonus Each.

General Secretary of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), Sanusi Muhammed has showered praises on the Super Eagles for beating the resilient Chad national team 2-0 in yesterday’s first qualifying match of the 2017 Africa Nations Cup decided at the Ahmadu Bello Stadium, Kaduna.
“We are happy that the team fought very hard to break the very resilient Chad national team. This is a good start and it will help the confidence of the players to continue to forge ahead in the qualifiers. The NFF will continue to provide the enabling environment for the growth of football in this country. We will continue to do everything humanly possible to ensure the national team takes its special place in not only African football but in the world too”, the energetic scribe of the NFF said.
He also disclosed to SportingLife that each member of the Super Eagles that beat Chad in yesterday’s game would be paid a winning bonus of $5000.
“Yes I can confirm to you that each member of the Super Eagles team that played against Chad yesterday is entitled to $5000”, he disclosed.
thenationonlineng.net/new/eagles-get-5000-winning-bonus-each/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 11:29am On Jun 14, 2015
Keshi hails Ekong’s, Rabiu’s, Igalo’s Contribution.

• Chad Coach Tregoat surrenders to Eagles’ superiority
Super Eagles’ Chief Coach Stephen Keshi has hailed the contributions of striker Odion Ighalo, midfielder Rabiu Ibrahim and William Troos Ekong in Nigeria’s 2-0 victory over hard fighting visiting The Les Sao of Chad in yesterday’s 2017 Africa Cup of Nations (Afcon) qualifier held at the Ahmadu Bello Stadium, Kaduna.
The coach of the team Emmanuel Tregoat also succumbed to the superior fireworks of the Eagles in the match praising them for working hard to beat his team while promising a tough return leg match for the Nigerians.
“About the defense that I have today, the thing is that they played to instruction and they were disciplined in their marking. They did what we trained in the training section although William Troos Ekong is a very good player, and I have been watching him and when the opportunity arose for me to bring him in we brought him in. Now he is a player and a very good addition to what we have on ground. We hope that we get more of such performances from the team, if they play into the other department in the team.
“The game picked up when we made the substitution of Odion Ighalo and Rabiu Ibrahim. We started clicking. We hope we have more of that in the next couple of games coming up,” “The thing is that if you have a team of five to six years you will still have one or two additions and subtractions to make in a team. So, you will always be looking for that balance or something. So, having two to three new defenders playing in today’s match did not pose any problems to the team but solidified it.
“These are players that I have been studying for long time and Vincent Enyeama is not worried to be playing always with some set of new players. The thing is that we have to do what we have to do and I have confidence in this group of players. There are a lot of potentials but we have to keep going, keep giving them more opportunities,” Keshi disclosed after the match.
The coach of Chad national team, Emmanuel Trezgoat said he wasn’t disappointed with the outcome of the match because Chad is just a small nation, coming up in African football. We came to Nigeria to learn the game.
“We were in Nigeria to learn and Nigeria is the best and they won so we are comfortable with the result. Nigeria is a strong football playing nation with many of their players playing for top football clubs in Europe so we are not disappointed. We will go back home and work hard for the remaining matches in our group”, the Chadian coach promised.
thenationonlineng.net/new/keshi-hails-ekongs-rabius-igalos-contribution/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Nobody: 5:03pm On Jun 14, 2015
please let their spirit be high.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 6:11pm On Jun 14, 2015
AFCON Qualifier: Nigerians In South Africa Commend Eagles’ Win

Some Nigerians resident in South Africa have hailed the Super Eagles’ 2-0 victory over Chad in the 2017 AFCON qualifier, as a good start for the team.
The Vice-President of Nigeria Union (NUSA), South Africa, Anthony Usembo, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Pretoria, South Africa, that the match was difficult for the Eagles.
“The match was difficult because the Chadians were physical, even though in the end, the Eagles won; that is important,’’ he said.
Adetola Olubajo, Secretary of the Union, commended the Eagles for the win and called for continuity in their game plan.
“I am impressed with the new players fielded by Coach Stephen Keshi. I also appeal to Nigerians to give the coach a chance as he tries to re-build the new National team.
“The team played well, given the fact that they were playing together for the first time in a long while,’’ he said.
Chris Ifeacho, a lecturer at the Kwazulu Natal University, said the Eagles utilised the chances that came their way in the second half to asure victory.
“We are happy over this victory. Having won this match, it is a welcome development.
“It is a good start and I hope the team keeps it up and ensures they qualify for the next AFCON tournament,’’ he said.
Odunze Samuel, Vice-Chairman of the Eastern Cape chapter of the Nigerian Union, urged the Eagles to remain focused and win in their other matches.
“I urge them to win in the other matches in the group,’’ he said. (NAN).
leadership.ng/sports/440429/afcon-qualifier-nigerians-in-south-africa-commend-eagles-win

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by adegwurulez(m): 8:09pm On Jun 14, 2015
Egypt won their match 3-0, meaning we're second on the log.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Nobody: 7:07am On Jun 15, 2015
Nigeria coach Stephen Keshi was ecstatic about the win against Chad in Kaduna on Saturday. After the game he spoke to the media and shared his thoughts on various aspects of the game.

Here are excerpts:

On William Troost-Ekong’s defending

I don’t know if there’s anything perfect about the defense that we had today. The thing is that they played to instruction – they were very disciplined in their marking.

William is a very good player, I’ve been watching him so when the opportunity arrived to bring him in, I brought him in.

He’s a very good addition to what we have on ground. We hope we get more of that quality in other departments in the team.

What changed between the first and second halves after Chad closed down the attack?

In the first half, we didn’t know each other properly yet. This was our second game after the one against Kaduna United. There was a lot of caution among the players because nobody wanted to make mistakes, there was a lot of anxiety.

In the second half we made them relax and changed a little bit of positioning in the game and we made substitutes of Rabiu and Odion, it clicked. We hope we have more of that in the next couple of games.

Starting with three debutants and getting them to work as a team

Even if you have a team for five or six years, you will still have one or two additions and subtractions to make because you are always looking for that balance. Having two new defenders, these are players that I have studied for a long time and their quality of play. I know if we have time to work together, it would just be as if they’ve been together for a long time.

We have to do what we have to do to have a very solid team and I have confidence in this group of players there’s a lot of potential we have. We have to keep going and giving them the opportunity.

On Ogenyi Onazi’s red card

In the heat of the moment you will probably act the same. But the only fault I saw in Onazi was that he knew if you go with retaliation you’re going out.

What happened was that the [Chadian] elbowed him in his eyes and he hit back. I wouldn’t blame Onazi, I probably would do more than that. It’s just that we’re going to miss him for two or three matches because it was a straight red card.

On Rabiu Ibrahim’s creative quality

We know his quality and we’ve been watching him, he’s been playing great football for his club and that’s why he is here. We also have Michael Babatunde. The more players we have in all departments, the better for us. I welcome him, he’s a good player.

On Aaron Samuel’s substitution due to injury

Aaron has muscle tear but we hope that it is not too pronounced, by the time they finish the scan we will know how bad it is.

On Kaduna security and fans encroachment

We have not had better security than the one we have in Kaduna. The people of Kaduna have shown us great love. So whatever is said in the newspapers is not something that we need to deal with. We need to move together, it’s a great thing that we came to Kaduna to play and to see the Kaduna people. At this point, let us move and think how we can unite ourselves and make Nigeria a great country.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 7:24am On Jun 15, 2015
Pharoahs Dethrone Eagles in Group G.

•Egypt ahead of Nigeria on goals difference.
Super Eagles’ temporary leadership of Group G of the AFCON 2017 qualifiers lasted just for a day after the Pharoahs of Eqypt zoomed to the summit of the log after they mauled the Taifa Stars of Tanzania Cairo 3-0 in Cairo last night.
The Stephen Keshi led team laboured to a 2-0 win over the Les Sao of Chad at the Ahmadu Bello stadium, Kaduna on Saturday with goals from enterprising Gbolahan Salami in the 61st minute and the second from the penalty spot in the 80th minute from Watford’s Odion Ighalo.
By virtue of Saturday’s victory, the Eagles led the group with three points and plus two goals difference since they did not concede any goal against the Chadians.
Like the Eagles, the Pharoahs had to wait till the second half to grind out a 3-0 victory against Tanzania, with all the goals coming within a spate of nine minutes.
Rami Rabia broke the deadlock in the 61st minute and barely four minutes later, Basem Morsi added the second goal with Fiorentina forward, Mohammed Salah netting the the third in the 70th minute of the encounter.
With three points and three goals, Egypt have the same three points with Nigeria but lead on superior goals difference.
The next round of qualifiers comes up in September with Nigeria travelling to Dar es Salaam to battle Tanzania while Egypt face a difficult trip to N’Djamena against Chad.
thenationonlineng.net/new/pharoahs-dethrone-eagles-in-group-g/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 9:37am On Jun 15, 2015
adegwurulez:
Egypt won their match 3-0, meaning we're second on the log.
From the matches played so far Egypt has the most clinical strike force. Just hope our SE find a way of neutralizing their threat when we meet.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 10:08am On Jun 15, 2015
Onazi’s Red Card, Rabiu’s Quality and Kaduna Security - Keshi talks about Chad victory.

The Big Boss was affirmative that his team started shakily but grew into the game as they won 2-0 against les Sao in Saturday’s game at the Ahmadu Bello Stadium.
Nigeria coach Stephen Keshi was ecstatic about the win against Chad in Kaduna on Saturday. After the game he spoke to the media and shared his thoughts on various aspects of the game.
Here are excerpts:
On William Troost-Ekong’s defending
I don’t know if there’s anything perfect about the defense that we had today. The thing is that they played to instruction – they were very disciplined in their marking.
William is a very good player, I’ve been watching him so when the opportunity arrived to bring him in, I brought him in.
He’s a very good addition to what we have on ground. We hope we get more of that quality in other departments in the team.
What changed between the first and second halves after Chad closed down the attack?
In the first half, we didn’t know each other properly yet. This was our second game after the one against Kaduna United. There was a lot of caution among the players because nobody wanted to make mistakes, there was a lot of anxiety.
In the second half we made them relax and changed a little bit of positioning in the game and we made substitutes of Rabiu and Odion, it clicked. We hope we have more of that in the next couple of games.
Starting with three debutants and getting them to work as a team
Even if you have a team for five or six years, you will still have one or two additions and subtractions to make because you are always looking for that balance. Having two new defenders, these are players that I have studied for a long time and their quality of play. I know if we have time to work together, it would just be as if they’ve been together for a long time.
We have to do what we have to do to have a very solid team and I have confidence in this group of players there’s a lot of potential we have. We have to keep going and giving them the opportunity.
On Ogenyi Onazi’s red card
In the heat of the moment you will probably act the same. But the only fault I saw in Onazi was that he knew if you go with retaliation you’re going out.
What happened was that the [Chadian] elbowed him in his eyes and he hit back. I wouldn’t blame Onazi, I probably would do more than that. It’s just that we’re going to miss him for two or three matches because it was a straight red card.
On Rabiu Ibrahim’s creative quality
We know his quality and we’ve been watching him, he’s been playing great football for his club and that’s why he is here. We also have Michael Babatunde. The more players we have in all departments, the better for us. I welcome him, he’s a good player.
On Aaron Samuel’s substitution due to injury
Aaron has muscle tear but we hope that it is not too pronounced, by the time they finish the scan we will know how bad it is.
On Kaduna security and fans encroachment
We have not had better security than the one we have in Kaduna. The people of Kaduna have shown us great love. So whatever is said in the newspapers is not something that we need to deal with. We need to move together, it’s a great thing that we came to Kaduna to play and to see the Kaduna people. At this point, let us move and think how we can unite ourselves and make Nigeria a great country.
m.goal.com/x/en-ng/news/12723692

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 11:31am On Jun 16, 2015
NFF query Keshi, Enyeama
Keshi in Kaduna on Saturday.

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) have fired queries to both coach Stephen Keshi and captain Vincent Enyeama over issues surrounding Super Eagles AFCON qualifier against Chad.
Keshi has been asked by his employers to explain why non-league striker Gabriel Okechukwu made the Eagles substitute bench, while Enyeama has to explain his comments regarding the safety of match venue Kaduna.
Striker Okechukwu features for non-league Water FC of Abuja and he failed to make the final cut for the U20 World Cup in New Zealand after he was named on a 35-man provisional squad.
The unknown striker was even handed jersey No.10 once made famous by the likes of Austin “Jay Jay” Okocha.
Super Eagles 2 Chad 0
Enyeama, on the other hand, has been queried over his comments that Kaduna was unsafe for the AFCON qualifier against Chad.
The NFF were forced to issue an official statement after Enyeama’s quotes went public.
NFF president Amaju Pinnick was quoted in the statement as saying:
“Kaduna State has always been a perfect ground for all National Teams, and a city in love with football. We are excited anytime we bring a match of the National Team to Kaduna, because we are always sure of massive support for our team.”
This must have been a damper on the day when he became the most capped Nigeria star at full international level with 101 appearances, one more than what Joseph Yobo achieved at last year’s World Cup.
africanfootball.com//news/539096/NFF-query-Keshi-Enyeama

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Nobody: 11:55am On Jun 16, 2015
Register on 1960bet and enjoy unlimited flow of money by staking highly on your favourite football teams(including live betting), virtual games, casino etc. There is no limit on the source of making money with an online sports betting account with 1960bet(one of the best in Nigeria with high odds and fast payment of cash).
All it requires is to register online with your computer or smart phone and put your prediction to work; instead of wasting time arguing with your friends about the outcome of football matches you can simply go online and stake on them and your bank account will be rolling with cash. To sign up for an online sports betting account visit
https://www.1960bet.com/Odds/registration/affiliate393684
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Krasid(m): 12:52pm On Jun 16, 2015
Who will Nigeria be playing next in the AFCON qualifiers and when will the match be played?

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by mensdept: 3:16pm On Jun 16, 2015
Playing Chad in Kaduna? Sounds like a home game for Chad

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 4:19pm On Jun 17, 2015
Krasid:
Who will Nigeria be playing next in the AFCON qualifiers and when will the match be played?

Tanzania vs Nigeria in September.
Thanks.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 4:21pm On Jun 17, 2015
mensdept:
Playing Chad in Kaduna? Sounds like a home game for Chad

Walahi
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by terzurum5(m): 4:49pm On Jun 17, 2015
See This Madrid Star Who Wants to Play for Nigeria.

Young Spanish defender, Derik Osede Prieto has revealed why he is dumping
the opportunity to play for the Spanish senior team for Nigeria, his native country. Derik, who has played at all youth levels for Spain told BBC Sport that he is ready to represent Nigeria at any stage he may be needed to feature.
www.arewamobile.com/see-this-madrid-star-who-wants-to-play-for-nigeria/#more-849

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:37am On Jun 18, 2015
Ogenyi Onazi
Super Eagles Midfielder Pictured at Newspaper Stand in Benue State.

The 22-year-old midfielder took to his official Instagram account to post a photo of himself buying a newspaper.
Ogenyi Onazi's football tournament kicks of tomorrow (today) in Benue State.
After helping Nigeria to a 2-0 win in their first 2017African Cup of Nations qualifying game agains Chad, Super Eagles midfielder is in his home state, Benue for the holiday.
It seems the Lazio of Italy star wants to be current with the happenings in the country as he hit a newspaper stand in the state.
The 22-year-old midfielder took to his official Instagram account to post a photo of himself buying a newspaper.
"Looking into the papers to see what is happening in town. Very lovely feeling to be treated as a regular guy,"Onzi tweeted.
The midfielder also announced the kick off of his five aside tournament in Benue State tomorrow, Thursday, June 18.
"#Onazi 5 Aside Challenge about to kick off tomorrow. We are about to unearth the next Super Stars in Benue State," Onazi said about the tournament.
pulse.ng/sports/football/ogenyi-onazi-super-eagles-midfielder-pictured-at-newspaper-stand-in-benue-state-id3876570.html

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Nobody: 11:07am On Jun 18, 2015
Sports betting have been tagged by most people as being highly risky to get involved but it is not so when you know how to stake and tend not to be greedy; in fact the gain is far more higher than the risk involved. What i am about to share is for those who are willing to stake high and double or triple their money fast. Most people involved in sports betting want to accumulate 10 to 30 games on one slip and play with #100, now their reason for accumulating such amount of games is because they want the money to increase but the chance of winning the money is very very low. Here is how i double or even triple my money with less risk; in sports betting there are so many options but the safest and easiest is playing "OVER 1.5" What this means is that in a particular football match there must be two goals and above and we all know that it is very easy to score two goals in football.
Now the odd attached to this is between 1.20 to 1.30, now if you are to accumulate 4 or 5(preferably 4) matches with this kind of odd the total odd will be from 2.0 to 3 and you place a bet of #10,000 in a space of two hours you will be having extra #10,000 or #20,000 as your profit from the game. it is very easy and simple, you don't need to bother yourself about who wins the match all you know is that they must score two goals and you will get fast cash. This method is beneficial to only those who are willing to stake highly not by betting with #100.
Now you can register with 1960bet; as they offer high odds for staking
https://www.1960bet.com/Odds/registration/affiliate393684
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:20am On Jun 18, 2015
Enyeama's Lack of Tact Jeopardizes His Legacy.

The veteran goalkeeper felt he was within his rights to speak up on behalf of his team-mates, but in doing so displayed a worrying lack of understanding and tactfulness.
Vincent Enyeama, who on Saturday earned his 101st cap and, in doing so, set an appearance record for the Super Eagles, is in bad odour with the NFF. First of all, let us begin with what we know.
We know that, three days before the 2017 Afcon qualifier against Chad, the national team captain made the following statement in an interview with Brila FM: “I am not satisfied with the choice of Kaduna; you know I’m a very outspoken person and I say what I want to say at any time.
“I don’t like the choice of Kaduna based on what is happening in the country but then the Government knows exactly what to do to make us safe.
“My concern is not because it’s Kaduna but because of the security thing because I really don’t care where we play as long as there is going to be security; safety of the players and everyone coming to watch the match.”
We know that on Monday, two days after the game, the NFF issued a query to Enyeama, asking that he report to them and explain his utterances.
This is unfortunately the limit of what we know. From here, the story diverges into two parallel narratives. In the one, Enyeama issues a public apology and backs down; in the other, he tears the NFF query into multiple pieces in defiance.
By the way, we know something else. NFF Head of Media, Demola Olajire, refused to engage on the subject when contacted by Goal.
The pressing question here, going on the facts we can certify to be accurate, is whether or not Enyeama should have said what he did. It is not, as some have construed, whether he was justified in raising concerns. He is the team captain, and entirely within his responsibility to act as an emissary between the team and, first the coach, and in certain cases, the NFF.
Were his concerns valid? In many ways, yes. There have been bombings in Northern Nigeria, Kaduna specifically; the latest being on the 23rd of July last year, believed to have targeted the President Muhammadu Buhari, then on the campaign trail. Naturally, it is expected there would be some concerns in the back of some players’ minds.
However, both his timing and tact can be called into question.
Enyeama |Concerns about Kaduna should've been kept out of the public sphere
To begin with, it is unclear what he felt this statement could possibly achieve. It was never a possibility that the venue of the game would be changed three days prior. Was this intended as some kind of storm warning then, a rallying cry to security operatives? What good did Enyeama feel would come of this? The only thing this would accomplish is potentially alienate the local fans; imagine paying money to see your national team stars who have gone on record saying they would rather be playing somewhere else.
Secondly, as captain of the team, he is in a very unique position. In as much as he feels the need to be outspoken, the flipside is that his statements carry greater weight, as he is rightly perceived to speak for the team. So, what he was really saying was that the team was not satisfied with Kaduna.
This indicates some break in communication somewhere, considering the fact that it was national team coach Stephen Keshi who himself selected the venue. What gain was there in contradicting his coach in public? As national team captain, Enyeama should know he is not in a position to “say what he wants to say at any time.” He has responsibilities and obligations to the team, and that includes the coaching staff as well.
Finally, his statements displayed a lack of diplomacy and political nous. As a result of the NFF’s financial situation (whether this is self-inflicted is another day’s matter), the Super Eagles effectively play games as guests of the state government. If there were any concerns, they could have been addressed and allayed privately. Making a public declaration of dissatisfaction with security arrangements was not only a barb at the NFF, but also at the government of Kaduna State. In this light, it is no wonder that the Governor is believed to have been deeply displeased, and had to be coaxed to attend the game at all.
NFF President Amaju Pinnick also saw fit to issue a statement smoothing things over and stating his belief that Kaduna would hold no problems at all. You do not receive a man’s hospitality and spit his food in his face.
It is a shame that this sort of ugliness has escalated to the point where it now threatens Enyeama’s international future. Already, he has stated his desire to retire after the 2017 Afcon, and he will do so as (one of) Nigeria’s finest ever goalkeeper(s). To sully his legacy in this way this close to his curtain call leaves a bad taste in the mouth.
m.goal.com/x/en-ng/news/12791112

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (161) (Reply)

Difference Btw Handicap 0:1 And Handicap 1:0 / Official NPFL Thread. (nigerian Professional Football League) / Are World Wrestling Entertainment Fights Real or Just Acting?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 141
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.