Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,592 members, 7,820,125 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:08 AM

Dr Akinwwunmi Adesina: How I Met President Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dr Akinwwunmi Adesina: How I Met President Jonathan (25820 Views)

EFCC Arrests Fake Femi Adesina (Photo) / Ondo PDP Guber Candidate, Jimoh Ibrahim Has Secretly Met President Buhari Twice / Femi Adesina: How Orji Kalu Reacted About My Leaving 'Daily Sun' To Serve Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dr Akinwwunmi Adesina: How I Met President Jonathan by BushidoBlue(m): 7:39pm On May 15, 2015
BY BENJAMIN NJOKU

When President Goodluck Jonathan appointed Dr Akinwumi Adesina as the Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, about four years ago, it was for the sole aim of revitalizing the agricultural sector such that it would become the major source of income for the country after oil.

Four years on, there are signs of progress in the agricultural sector.

The indefatigable minister has not only turned around the sector to become the major source of income for the country after oil.

As an agricultural development expert with 24 years of experience in developing and managing successful agricultural programmes across Africa, Adesina worked so hard to strengthen the nation’s agricultural economy, build vibrant rural communities and create new markets for the tremendous innovation of rural Nigeria. In the past four years, he functioned as the minister of Agriculture and Rural Development in the country, Adesina has worked to implement President Goodluck Jonathan’s agenda for the sector.

Before his appointment, the nation’s agricultural sector was recording low performance at all levels. Agriculture in Nigeria accounted for 65-70 per cent of total exports in the 1960s; it fell to about 40 per cent in the 1970s and crashed to less than two per cent in the late 1990s and late 2000. The sector, however, bounced back after Adesina was appointed the minister of agriculture few years ago. Till date, the non-oil sector has remained the major driver of growth recording a 7.50 per cent increase in contrast to the oil sector, which contracted by 0.73 per cent in the second quarter of 2012.

Apart from revolutionizing the agriculture sector during his four year tenure, Adesina ensured that agriculture remains the new mainstay of the nation’s economy. His recent disbursement of N122million grant to 27 Nagropreneurs across the six geo-political zones as a measure of boosting agricultural production and also promoting its newly established project, the Youth Employment in Agriculture Programme (YEAP) endeared to Nigerians at the grassroots. For Adesina, Nigeria’s greater future for inclusive growth lies in agriculture. This, he has demonstrated not only in words but also, in action as the various programmes he set up to instigate real growth in the sector are pointers to this claim. Today, food production had risen massively and as a nation, Nigeria has produced additional 21 metric tons of food within the last three years.

Under Adesina’s administration, the ministry also established Marketing Corporation, nationwide census of farmers and supply of subsidised fertilisers to 14 million farmers. In addition, Adesina ‘s innovative and effective electronic wallet system for Nigeria’s farmers, designed to increase access to and affordability of agricultural inputs is still being talked about till date across the country. His wealth of experience, achievement and bold reforms in Nigeria’s agriculture sector earned the Minister his selection as Forbes Africa Person of the Year in 2013.

It was not surprising, however, when he was recently awarded an Extraordinary Achievement Award by Silverbird Television. An award, many believed was well-deserved. Adesina, who was formerly the Vice President, Policy and Partnerships Alliance for Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), does not see himself as an extra-ordinary person. He told his story at the awards, revealing how President Jonathan appointed him minister without knowing him or meeting him. The President only heard about him, read about his profile and invited him to serve as minister. So, the man acclaimed to be the best minister in Jonathan’s administration is not a politician but a technocrat, some credit to the President.

“I just happened to be a public servant that was given the opportunity to serve my country which is an extra-ordinary country,”he said, while receiving his award.

He was one of Nigeria’s greatest exports to the outside world, who was relatively unknown back home until the Jonathan-led administration found him and consequently brought him back to serve the country.

According to him, “Obviously, you cannot serve unless somebody calls you to come and serve. I want to thank His Excellency, Goodluck Jonathan for his extra-ordinary gesture in actually asking me to leave my international career and come back home to serve my country. I never knew him and I never met him.”

“He simply heard about me and he brought me home to come and serve my fatherland. There are other people that played an important role in bringing me back to the country to serve my beloved country; former President Olusegun Obasanjo. But having arrived the country, I couldn’t have achieved anything without the extra-ordinary support I received from Nigerians. I am quite delighted that we have been able to reposition this sector well ahead of time before we got into the declining economic crisis that we are facing today.”

Adeshina also talked about his background which he said was a humble one. And since he hit the international limelight he has dedicated his life to helping the poor people around the world.

“Many of you may not know that I came from a poor background. I attended a village school. My dad, and grandfather worked as labourers in other people’s farms. My dad could not read and write until he was 15 years when an uncle of his took him to Lagos, where he went to Igbobi College and later, got a job as a civil servant. That was how I got educated, otherwise I wouldn’t be getting this award if I wasn’t standing on the shoulder of my father who sacrificed so much for me.”

“I have always dedicated my life to helping the poor people around the world because poverty must not become something we are comfortable with. This is because I have followed the path, and I know that there is no comfort in poverty at all. I want to thank the fathers of Nigeria for their tremendous work. I want to thank the private sector that helped us to mobilized $5.6billion to this sector within three and half years. The federal government supported all the state governors in realizing our mission to make food like the democratic right of every citizen of this country. We are not going to play politics with it. And Mr. President asked us to go in that direction.”

As this administration prepares to hand over to the incoming one on May 29, one thing that it will be remembered for, is its ability not only to revolutionized the agricultural sector but also, restore the dignity of Nigerian farmers, bringing them to the limelight and to the attention of government, where previously it had been a master-servant relationship
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/05/akinwumi-adesina-how-i-met-president-jonathan/

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dr Akinwwunmi Adesina: How I Met President Jonathan by kestolove95(m): 7:45pm On May 15, 2015
D only minister in gej regime

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dr Akinwwunmi Adesina: How I Met President Jonathan by HIGHESTPOPORI(m): 8:45pm On May 15, 2015
kestolove95:
D only minister in gej regime
because he is a yorroba abi?

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Dr Akinwwunmi Adesina: How I Met President Jonathan by delpee(f): 9:23pm On May 15, 2015
He's done so well. His humble background obviously had a positive impact on his life. God bless him more.

7 Likes

Re: Dr Akinwwunmi Adesina: How I Met President Jonathan by AhmedMustapha(m): 9:33pm On May 15, 2015
One of the few decisions Pres Jonathan got right.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dr Akinwwunmi Adesina: How I Met President Jonathan by briefness: 9:36pm On May 15, 2015
On the media he has done very well. I am yet to see the impact of the good job done. Rice,the most common staple food in the country is still being imported.

12 Likes

Re: Dr Akinwwunmi Adesina: How I Met President Jonathan by slys(m): 9:36pm On May 15, 2015
Let's what he has to offer once again... because his impact can only be view on media....
Re: Dr Akinwwunmi Adesina: How I Met President Jonathan by naijainfogalery: 9:37pm On May 15, 2015
I wanted to place a comment but the thought of those pained people just made me gentle, I am tired of all these unnecessary clueless mentions and abuses. But they wont stop me from commenting,

This Adesina seems to be the Only GEJ minister that people generally respect

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dr Akinwwunmi Adesina: How I Met President Jonathan by godofwar666(m): 9:37pm On May 15, 2015
undecided
Re: Dr Akinwwunmi Adesina: How I Met President Jonathan by Nobody: 9:37pm On May 15, 2015
smiley ii barely know that adesina guy sad
Re: Dr Akinwwunmi Adesina: How I Met President Jonathan by lilwayneme(m): 9:38pm On May 15, 2015
will comment when I park my range rover
Re: Dr Akinwwunmi Adesina: How I Met President Jonathan by OCTAVO: 9:38pm On May 15, 2015
smiley
Re: Dr Akinwwunmi Adesina: How I Met President Jonathan by Abeos(m): 9:39pm On May 15, 2015
One of d most active minister in GEJ administration

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dr Akinwwunmi Adesina: How I Met President Jonathan by Nobody: 9:39pm On May 15, 2015
Sentiments apart, God gave d yorubas wisdom than any other tribe in this Country.. Wherever u find a yoruba man U find progress, U find development and innovation.. Checkout fasola, akinwunmi and others they achieve d greatest things other sees as a mirage.. Try a yoruba man to handle electricity and education d difference will be like 7up to Origin..

35 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Dr Akinwwunmi Adesina: How I Met President Jonathan by Chimaritoponcho: 9:39pm On May 15, 2015
Father: Rose, I noticed u now call me 'Dad'
instead of
'Papa' why?
Rose: yes dad. Calling u 'Papa' spoils ma
lipstick!!!
I knw u wud try it. Lol..

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dr Akinwwunmi Adesina: How I Met President Jonathan by godofwar666(m): 9:40pm On May 15, 2015
delpee:
He's done so well. His humble background obviously had a positive impact on his life. God bless him more.
can you please elaborate what u mean by he has done so well?
Re: Dr Akinwwunmi Adesina: How I Met President Jonathan by Nobody: 9:41pm On May 15, 2015
How a genius met a clueless dullard

2 Likes

Re: Dr Akinwwunmi Adesina: How I Met President Jonathan by teebabsman(m): 9:41pm On May 15, 2015
a
Re: Dr Akinwwunmi Adesina: How I Met President Jonathan by Nobody: 9:43pm On May 15, 2015
BushidoBlue:

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/05/akinwumi-adesina-how-i-met-president-jonathan/

I met this man last year face to face
Very very handsome and speaks beautifully
Very intelligent man he is
He is the sexiest man in GEJ's administration
I even took a picture of him sef wink
I am tired of all these ugly people parading The news
Buhari had better retain him in his cabinet o

7 Likes

Re: Dr Akinwwunmi Adesina: How I Met President Jonathan by adconline(m): 9:44pm On May 15, 2015
How about 10m phones he gave "away" to farmers?
What was the price of a cup of garri/rice 6 years ago??

1 Like

Re: Dr Akinwwunmi Adesina: How I Met President Jonathan by Nobody: 9:45pm On May 15, 2015
HIGHESTPOPORI:
Must everything be a tribal war matter? Change!

15 Likes

Re: Dr Akinwwunmi Adesina: How I Met President Jonathan by Ura: 9:45pm On May 15, 2015
AKINWUMI ADESINA My Role Model! If GEJ had Five other Ministers like you, Nigerians would have been begging him for continuity. I say it again that I can testify your good works anywhere and anytime. wink

5 Likes

Re: Dr Akinwwunmi Adesina: How I Met President Jonathan by skullbaba: 9:48pm On May 15, 2015
To me he is just marketting himself as usual. He is good at dosing out figurs from his head/paper without correlation/reflection with reality. With all his big numbers we are still importing rice, so what did do ? I believe he was 'successful' because he was media friendly and he has a good oratory skill. That all. People are going to agricylture using the old obsolete skills because of poverty, we need a sound government backed agricultural sector

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dr Akinwwunmi Adesina: How I Met President Jonathan by missionmex(m): 9:50pm On May 15, 2015
Me I no dey comment untill I read everything unlike the people above me grin
Re: Dr Akinwwunmi Adesina: How I Met President Jonathan by olasmith10(m): 9:50pm On May 15, 2015
HIGHESTPOPORI:

Not because he is Yoruba, buh because his hardwork was quite evident in dis administration compared to his counterparts.. buh really don't u guys get worn out of ethnic bigotry and tribalism...what has Yoruba got to do with dis?

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dr Akinwwunmi Adesina: How I Met President Jonathan by Ura: 9:50pm On May 15, 2015
HIGHESTPOPORI:

I am not yoruba but I can testify for him anywhere. And mind you, I have never collected a dime from him before you will say he paid me. Agriculture is a different story in Nigeria today because of him. cool

15 Likes

Re: Dr Akinwwunmi Adesina: How I Met President Jonathan by HonEmeritus(m): 9:51pm On May 15, 2015
This man ought to have been in that ministry since the era of Obasanjo and nt that dumb Okonjo Iweala... undecided
Re: Dr Akinwwunmi Adesina: How I Met President Jonathan by gbaskiboy: 9:53pm On May 15, 2015
K for Kudos
Re: Dr Akinwwunmi Adesina: How I Met President Jonathan by zimoni(f): 9:53pm On May 15, 2015
How I Met President Jonathan..............

Mr Oga, how did you meet Oga Jonah nah?

He performed though. Wish him best of luck.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Friday Nwosu Challenges Uche Ogah's Declaration As Abia Governor / Adeyemi, Ocheni, Audu, Ajaka Reject Kogi APC Primary Election Results / NLC/TUC Continue Talks With FG Today At 6pm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.