Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,580 members, 7,958,792 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 01:00 AM

Marriage Without Bride Price - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Marriage Without Bride Price (22752 Views)

Man Insists On Paying Extra Bride Price After Seeing His Wife In This Dress / 2016 Bride Price In Umuahia, Abia State (photo) / How Some Ladies Are Destroying Their Marriage Without Knowing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Marriage Without Bride Price by ugoos15(m): 11:23pm On May 17, 2015
Well my brother according to my tradition, the bride price of the lady will not be mentioned/noted in the list giving to you. You only pay her bride price when you have come to fulfil her traditional right. And note there is no specific amount for that. It depends on your relationship with the family. I rest my case
angelo1111:
Dear house, I have been dating my girl for a while and we plan to get married. We did our introduction last month, and her family gave me a list. On the list[i][/i], they wrote (Bride Price - Nil) and that got me wondering if its possible to get married without paying bride price. Please I need reasonable contributions only. Thanx

2 Likes

Re: Marriage Without Bride Price by yumyspiced(f): 11:23pm On May 17, 2015
ouch...nairalanders and some mentality,they must alwaz condemn, op I have seen this kind of thing before, after the guy married the girl,he was so good to his in laws,he alwaz include dem in his agenda, don't be afraid, some educated family re like that,but u fit still find something give from your own church mind oo#winks# if I hear say dey refuse that one...
Re: Marriage Without Bride Price by Holadpearl(m): 11:26pm On May 17, 2015
in my family,you will pay the bride price,but it will be returned back to u after d ceremony with a msg,that 'we didn't sell our daughter.'
Re: Marriage Without Bride Price by missmalachi: 11:27pm On May 17, 2015
The issue of nig marriage is nt d bride price but d list given to u.am of d yoruba decent,bride price is usually 5k to 10k wc wil b return bak to u.d amount is immaterial compare to d list worth thousands of naira.

I await to hear d wedding wit no list given,then I wil knw tins r changin

1 Like

Re: Marriage Without Bride Price by harry509: 11:28pm On May 17, 2015
angelo1111:
Dear house, I have been dating my girl for a while and we plan to get married. We did our introduction last month, and her family gave me a list. On the list[i][/i], they wrote (Bride Price - Nil) and that got me wondering if its possible to get married without paying bride price. Please I need reasonable contributions only. Thanx
I guess is computer error, mayb d family b wor ryte different price of iterm's 2 buy. Aniway they meant b gud family 2 yu.
Re: Marriage Without Bride Price by Nyceguy92: 11:29pm On May 17, 2015
[quote author=angelo1111 post=33837767]

No! No! No! It does not mean you will not pay the bride price.

Pride price is a negotiable settlement so the column was left that way until the elders meet to discuss it.

Of course you don't expect to marry without paying the bride price.

It is symbolic, no matter how small, and is a sign of commitment.

In some cultures, women do not know their bride prices so putting it in the "To Do List" exposes it.

Or what do you think, readers?

2 Likes

Re: Marriage Without Bride Price by dre11(m): 11:30pm On May 17, 2015
AfricanApple:
that's d kind of family we need now in Nigeria. bride price is a waste of resources

I hope they won't ask during yoursgrin

Because...............lipsrsealed
Re: Marriage Without Bride Price by delishpot: 11:38pm On May 17, 2015
World people sha, dem put bride price, una curse them out, dem remove bride price una still see comma. Na wetin una come want kwanu?
Ehm OP, it means dem nor dey sell dia pikin. It means dem nor dey give you house girl or punching bag or slave, so take ya wife jejely and go and make her happy. I hope she make you happy too.
Happy married life in advance.
Re: Marriage Without Bride Price by Ariyke: 11:58pm On May 17, 2015
Common in yoruba land it's either they don't include it or they include and return it

1 Like

Re: Marriage Without Bride Price by NobleG1(m): 12:00am On May 18, 2015
angelo1111:

Maybe they saw you're a broke a*ass guy and decided to help you. NO I'm just kidding!

They probably just wanna help because they like you. They don't want you to be burdened while marrying their daughter.

When I did mine, my in-laws told me I shouldn't do everything on the list, that they would take care of the rest. But I refused and did far more than what was in the list.

You should see it as an appreciation for marrying their daughter.
Re: Marriage Without Bride Price by ernecy(m): 12:04am On May 18, 2015
angelo1111:
my elder Sister got married about three weeks ago, and in our tradition the bride-price is neva written on the marriage list, but discussed privately with immediate family head (Her father if alive or first-son) of the girl, and that is done after u do evrything on d list. But mind u will told to pay btw 150k to 50k, but u will tell then what u can pay, whatever u decide to pay as bride-price would use to buy her things she would use to follow u back home. So if ur wife to-be is an Ngwa chick these are what u shud expect..

So the is question, what is your wife worth..
Re: Marriage Without Bride Price by KanwuliaJara: 12:06am On May 18, 2015
Equals divorce with bride-price!
Equation BALANCE!!!!! wink
Back to SKWIA 1!
Re: Marriage Without Bride Price by Mystery007(m): 12:20am On May 18, 2015
For this country?? No bride price? Bros abeg where is she from? mek i begin scout for wife from dah region. Happy married life in advance
Re: Marriage Without Bride Price by baby124: 12:54am On May 18, 2015
Yoruba people are wise. They don't sell their daughters. They are telling you she is not your property. So if you do anyhow, you will see anyhow. So be warned! Treat that girl like an egg otherwise you may lose her as she has a family somewhere who did not sell her to you. You think the culture is not aware how crazy young men can be today. The culture has evolved. Good luck to you and your wife.

1 Like

Re: Marriage Without Bride Price by kikelomojessy(f): 1:04am On May 18, 2015
It was not started does not mean u will not pay bride price but usually not a big deal for some families. When my sisters did theirs, one BP was 15naira and another 6naira, and 35naira. It depends on the parents of the girl. So relax it not always a big deal! The big deal is with the list itself.
Re: Marriage Without Bride Price by M4gunners: 1:17am On May 18, 2015
This a/c was open last night , i smell something.
Re: Marriage Without Bride Price by chidifyn(f): 1:59am On May 18, 2015
No bride price, but u were given list? The list has covered the bride price cause bride price re generally cheap. In some areas in delta u(d guy) must not finish paying d bride price as this should be done when d woman dies( if u complete it at death u ll bury her @ ur place not not u ll return d dead body to her family). So do not ve deceived! Bride price can never be free! Is either u pay now or later, or directly or indirectly. Infact u should be suspecting the family. lol
Re: Marriage Without Bride Price by Kingbilo(m): 2:16am On May 18, 2015
Common in parts of Anambra too. My extended family has never collected above N500 for bride price. And most times its used to buy drinks and share right there and then. In addition to the drinks for receiving the grooms family
Re: Marriage Without Bride Price by claycares: 2:57am On May 18, 2015
Make sure you pay the dowry/bride price because that is what makes your union legal under Nigerian customary law. Do not do without the bride price.

Also the bride price consideration should be monetary so it can be returned to the family if you no longer want to continue in the marriage. This is the only way to end a marriage under native law and custom.
Re: Marriage Without Bride Price by Kingbilo(m): 3:20am On May 18, 2015
missmalachi:
The issue of nig marriage is nt d bride price but d list given to u.am of d yoruba decent,bride price is usually 5k to 10k wc wil b return bak to u.d amount is immaterial compare to d list worth thousands of naira.

Several females from my extended family have got married without list.. In fact na d father of the bride write list come buy most of the stuff lol

1 Like

Re: Marriage Without Bride Price by Kingbilo(m): 3:23am On May 18, 2015
claycares:
Make sure you pay the dowry/bride price because that is what makes your union legal under Nigerian customary law. Do not do without the bride price.

Also the bride price consideration should be monetary so it can be returned to the family if you no longer want to continue in the marriage. This is the only way to end a marriage under native law and custom.

Seriously? undecided

That makes no sense. If you didn't give bride price in the first place how can the so called customary law join you together if you must collect it back to end d marriage..
Re: Marriage Without Bride Price by Kingbilo(m): 3:25am On May 18, 2015
All this talk about how igbos no dey play with bride price tho.. Wonder where y'all get your news.. It's not even common in my area and I'm from deep inside anambra lol. Na just formalities
Re: Marriage Without Bride Price by calcal: 3:32am On May 18, 2015
Child seller of Nigeria (CSN)
Re: Marriage Without Bride Price by claycares: 4:11am On May 18, 2015
Kingbilo:

Seriously? undecided

That makes no sense. If you didn't give bride price in the first place how can the so called customary law join you together if you must collect it back to end d marriage..
My dear the law need not make sense. I just stated the law, its up to the op and other readers to seek legal advise if they are in doubt.

The law is clear in this area, payment of bride price is prerequisite for a valid marriage under native law and custom in Nigeria.

Let me depart a bit and like I always advise clients, there are lots of marriages in Nigeria that will fail this test and I believe they may be invalid. The implication of this is better imagined than to be experience. The validity of a marriage extends to inheritance of properties after the death of a partner. If a marriage is decleared invalid, the surviving partner gets nothing.

So there's the need to follow the custom stricto sensu. All customs in Nigeria require the payment of bride price and it must be paid for there to be a valid marriage under native law and custom. This custom has not changed overtime and just in case it has, there is no judicial notice of this as being of acceptable usage.
Re: Marriage Without Bride Price by claycares: 4:16am On May 18, 2015
missmalachi:

Please take precaution before posting on forums as there are people who will rely heavily on your post.

Payment of bride price is sine qua non for a valid marriage under native law and custom.

1 Like

Re: Marriage Without Bride Price by Jilo83(m): 4:35am On May 18, 2015
This is new and ugly trend now in Nigeria most especially in Christian west. It mean their daughter is not for sale by rejecting a token of #5000 or there about from d list of over #200000. If truly she is not for sale, you shouldn't collect anything. Afterall d bride price is for d bride not for family. They will reject what belong to my wife after taking theirs.
Re: Marriage Without Bride Price by Nobody: 4:39am On May 18, 2015
angelo1111:
Dear house, I have been dating my girl for a while and we plan to get married. We did our introduction last month, an
d her family gave me a list. On the list[i][/i], they wrote (Bride Price - Nil) and that got me wondering if its possible to get married without paying bride price. Please I need reasonable contributions only. Thanx
I hope no epilepsy.
Re: Marriage Without Bride Price by ajalaolanr(m): 4:56am On May 18, 2015
The yorubas do not collect bride price, others put it like a blank cheque and on engagement day, they say it publicly that their daughter is not for sale and no amount of money can buy her but they expect her to be treated with love care and compassion.

It's just their tradition. ..

1 Like

Re: Marriage Without Bride Price by hassymo5(m): 5:05am On May 18, 2015
just telling u their daughter is not for sale.....they are not after materials things....
Re: Marriage Without Bride Price by Kingbilo(m): 5:26am On May 18, 2015
claycares:
My dear the law need not make sense. I just stated the law, its up to the op and other readers to seek legal advise if they are in doubt.

The law is clear in this area, payment of bride price is prerequisite for a valid marriage under native law and custom in Nigeria.

Let me depart a bit and like I always advise clients, there are lots of marriages in Nigeria that will fail this test and I believe they may be invalid. The implication of this is better imagined than to be experience. The validity of a marriage extends to inheritance of properties after the death of a partner. If a marriage is decleared invalid, the surviving partner gets nothing.

So there's the need to follow the custom stricto sensu. All customs in Nigeria require the payment of bride price and it must be paid for there to be a valid marriage under native law and custom. This custom has not changed overtime and just in case it has, there is no judicial notice of this as being of acceptable usage.

shocked incredible.. In this day and age sha....
Re: Marriage Without Bride Price by Nobody: 5:30am On May 18, 2015
I married my wife for #25 and after the wedding proper the money was refunded back to me.
Re: Marriage Without Bride Price by Tallesty1(m): 5:42am On May 18, 2015
Seems like you are sitting on the last seat in a "One chance bus".

Some parents will write heaven and earth in the list but will not add bride price so that you will not get a penny back from them if your wife decides to leave you in the future.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" / Missing Girl In Kaduna: Walida Found In Kano / Boy Becomes Child Beggar’s Friend In Calabar; Wants Him In School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.