Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,845 members, 7,810,255 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:57 AM

Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" (22636 Views)

Check Out My Son @1 / Picture Of My Son Preparing For School For The First Time / To Choose Btw Son's Birthday Or Step Son's School Fees! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by comprende: 2:20pm On Sep 16, 2013
My son is just 4 years five months old and has just moved to the Nursery two equivalent in his school.

I kind of worried about the level of education they are providing, as I feel it is far above what a child his age should be put through. My wife is ok with it though and has told be to stop fussing. I'm putting my concerns on this forum to find out if my fears are unfounded or if I need to move my son to another school. Let me explain further.

My belief is that a child in Nursery school should mainly be involved with rhymes, art, counting a few numbers, learning the alphabet and a few basic English words. But while in Nursery one, my son's school has been teaching him to write numbers from 1 - 120 for instance, reading words and making sentences, some little addition and subtraction. Now in Nursery two, they have started learning vowels and consonants, making sentences and writing them, and I don't know yet if they might introduce multiplication and division!!!

Maybe my I'm too old school but my memories of nursery school were painting, singing nursery rhymes and playing with plasticine. I don't want to agree with the idea that times have changed cos these schools copy the American and British syllabuses, yet they force these kids to learn stuff meant for classes a step or two higher.

I'm throwing this to parents out there. Please advice.

9 Likes

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by Nobody: 2:50pm On Sep 16, 2013
What school is that? Do you live in Spain? I have my reasons for asking.
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by Nobody: 3:52pm On Sep 16, 2013
since you've opened threads severally mentioning american, european and ghanaian universities as alternatives to nigerian education, why not do the same for your child if you're not happy with his current school's curriculum.

meaning change his school if you dont like it.

if however you're the "occupy" type, then by all means engage in a long wrangled discussion or fight with the school in order to get them to change.

3 Likes

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by comprende: 5:12pm On Sep 16, 2013
tpia.:
since you've opened threads severally mentioning american, european and ghanaian universities as alternatives to nigerian education, why not do the same for your child if you're not happy with his current school's curriculum.

meaning change his school if you dont like it.

if however you're the "occupy" type, then by all means engage in a long wrangled discussion or fight with the school in order to get them to change.

@tpia

Thanks for your thinly veiled insult. I'll just let it slide...and wait for reasonable contributions from parents who have proper suggestions and insight.

122 Likes

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by Nobody: 6:03pm On Sep 16, 2013
I don't think ur son's school is over-teaching as I am a teacher myself but for a Nursey 1 pupil writing 1-120. Mehn, that's too much sha. But in Nur2, he should leaarn to write 1-100, form simple sentences, do picture reading and basic addution not subtraction yet.

Any other questions u have, I'd be glad to answer.

4 Likes

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by mysticgal(f): 7:13pm On Sep 16, 2013
i teach nursery two and mainly if in Nigeria,its too much cos our curriculum, numbers stop at 100 or 120,till third term we stop at at tens and unit,,,english vowel letter i.e,a e i o u then till third term it stops at three letter words....you are the parent,if you're not happy change school.

2 Likes

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by AudreyI(f): 8:10pm On Sep 16, 2013
@topic: As incredible as it sounds(and I know this sounds far fetched) but, my daughter will be starting in at Nursery 1 on Monday and she writes 1 - 200 on her own. She's 3. She can also do basic additions, subtractions and can write two and three letter words. Just like your son, she's also been taught basic sentence construction. So your son's school is not over doing it.

While I understand your concerns about your child developing at a reasonable pace, I still feel you should be proud of him and the school, especially if he's recieving a well rounded education that includes mental, physical, social and moral developement.

Truth is, we live in a highly competitive world, and it isn't too early to begin to equip your child with much needed education, especially in this era where most employers operate a policy of 'the younger, the better.'

45 Likes

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by Nobody: 8:13pm On Sep 16, 2013
comprende:

@tpia

Thanks for your thinly veiled insult. I'll just let it slide...and wait for reasonable contributions from parents who have proper suggestions and insight.

You are sensitive to what YOU perceive as criticism, not to mention your chip on the shoulder makes you see every comment that doesnt tow your line, as an insult, yet you open a thread for people to rain abuse on your alleged child's school, on your behalf.

Typical nler.

The only thing i'm gleaning from your rant is you dont want anyone asking why dont you change your child's school ( lets assume you are not role acting), but instead are looking for who will help you abuse schools in general.

Boko haram things?

5 Likes

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by NosoChic: 8:13pm On Sep 16, 2013
We had same experience with my nephew,.In nursery one...He learnt to write 1 to 150 and then 200.
He just finished nursery two and can write to 500 unaided. Most schools now don't have nursery three anyways....I hope the school in question, is not in Surulere though.
For him we had to teach him beyond reciting the numbers at home and made sure he had fun while learning.
I advise you encourage and assist your son learning......but I don't doubt the ability of children to learn it.
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by baby124: 8:14pm On Sep 16, 2013
Is it doing any mental or physical harm to the child? No. I will rather pay that much money for a child to go to school and learn something. Rather than sit in class and just eat, poo and sleep. Abeg, what is the name of this school please. grin

6 Likes

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by pickabeau1: 10:06pm On Sep 16, 2013
More important than writing

Does the child understand what ten or twenty is

Or else its just rote

9 Likes

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by Nobody: 10:59pm On Sep 16, 2013
of course he can also discuss with the teacher and have them scale down whatever they're teaching his child, but clearly, to him, thats not an option.
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by Nobody: 11:07pm On Sep 16, 2013
My belief is that a child in Nursery school should mainly be involved with rhymes, art, counting a few numbers, learning the alphabet and a few basic English words

well, learning english is not necessarily a must, afterall about half of nl posters do not type in english, not sure what language they type in, could be their dialect.

but, they're still here posting, so, nothing spoil.

besides, the chinese dont speak english.

while in Nursery one, my son's school has been teaching him to write numbers from 1 - 120 for instance, reading words and making sentences, some little addition and subtraction.

yes, this is a bad thing, since you didnt bother teaching him those yourself.

Now in Nursery two, they have started learning vowels and consonants, making sentences and writing them, and I don't know yet if they might introduce multiplication and division!!!

if the child is turning five this year, he's supposed to at least learn how to write his own name.

however, if you feel he shouldnt be learning those, then just tell the school you'd prefer him to be in a lower class.

ko sija nbe.

3 Likes

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by pickabeau1: 11:15pm On Sep 16, 2013
lmao/// this tpia is just a poster on her own parallel wavelength

8 Likes

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by Rhythm(f): 11:18pm On Sep 16, 2013
tpia.:

well, learning english is not necessarily a must, afterall about half of nl posters do not type in english, not sure what language they type in, could be their dialect.

but, they're still here posting, so, nothing spoil.

besides, the chinese dont speak english.

yes, this is a bad thing, since you didnt bother teaching him those yourself.

if the child is turning five this year, he's supposed to at least learn how to write his own name.

however, if you feel he shouldnt be learning those, then just tell the school you'd prefer him to be in a lower class.

ko sija nbe.

Dear Tpia, you are always so full of poo. Do you smoke weed?

46 Likes

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by Nobody: 11:22pm On Sep 16, 2013
^no personal attacks, thank you.

shows you have deep seated issues if you cant address people without sounding like a gutter bred goat.

if you disagree with a post, learn to voice your opinion in a civilized way.

9 Likes

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by Rhythm(f): 11:33pm On Sep 16, 2013
tpia.:
^no personal attacks, thank you.

shows you have deep seated issues if you cant address people without sounding like a gutter bred goat.

if you disagree with a post, learn to voice your opinion in a civilized way.

I thought you said no personal attacks, you civilised weed smoking tart.

46 Likes

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by Nobody: 11:45pm On Sep 16, 2013
Lmao!

@Topic

Your LO is just about school-ager (kindergarten , 5yrs) , IMO learning numbers over 100 is a bit too much but some schools tend to go overboard and advance their curriculum farther than what other school divisions do ( this is prevalent in Private schools) , my kid started going in the chemistry lab @5, I know it's crazy. But hey I'm getting my money's worth and ain't complaining.

You'll be amazed what these small kids will learn before high school, they navigate the keyboard without looking I fear sometimes shocked

Amazing what money can do grin cool

Ops , sorry my advice; if you don't like it, talk to the school authorities to tone it down ( in other words, put lo in nursery 1 sad) or just listen to your wife and trust the school. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by veave(f): 7:55am On Sep 17, 2013
@OP... time changes yesterdaycheesy. i believe its the mordern curriculumn. just make sure he understands w@ they mean.
@tpia... you were rude to the Op. apologise. when people ask for opinion from others, iit takes a whole lote of guts to do that. sarcasm shouldnt be your response ok?

6 Likes

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by comprende: 8:59am On Sep 17, 2013
Thanks to those who had proper responses, suggestions and advice. I learnt from what you had to say, especially the two teachers. Of course I could have spoken with friends, colleagues or associates around to find out what they think about the issue. But I put my post on Nairaland to enable me sample a wider range of opinion.

I initially felt like taking on @tpia, but I decided to just let it go. He made it obvious from his posts that he needs to put up snide remarks on a faceless forum like Nairaland to get high. Such people like him are better ignored. There are others who have the time to respond to his vituperations. I'm sure they won't disappoint him.

15 Likes

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by hob200: 10:16am On Sep 17, 2013
I am an educationist and I run a school and i can tell you categorically they are over doing it. That time between the age of 0-6 is meant for children to learn thru play, they need to learn sensorial abilities, develop their physical and social life and try to understand the world we leave in not burden them with so much numbers and alphabet. Research has shown that it is wrong to do that to a child. If you need more clarification just ask I will be willing to give you base on a professional point of view.

35 Likes

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by blank(f): 10:19am On Sep 17, 2013
I am in support of what the school is doing I believe that children should be pushed to the maximum so they get used to working at that level. If the kid is not coping and you will be able to tell, let the kid go back a class.

The world is getting more competitive, no place for slackers and late bloomers. Be happy. If you like, when your kid gets home, u can bring out the play stuff and let him have fun. Btw, the schools still teach rhymes, dance etc, whilst teaching the nos and stuff.

1 Like

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by comprende: 11:32am On Sep 17, 2013
hob200: I am an educationist and I run a school and i can tell you categorically they are over doing it. That time between the age of 0-6 is meant for children to learn thru play, they need to learn sensorial abilities, develop their physical and social life and try to understand the world we leave in not burden them with so much numbers and alphabet. Research has shown that it is wrong to do that to a child. If you need more clarification just ask I will be willing to give you base on a professional point of view.

I felt this way too but I was swayed by the responses I got. I am interested in getting more clarification on your point of view.
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by nora544: 11:57am On Sep 17, 2013
hob200: I am an educationist and I run a school and i can tell you categorically they are over doing it. That time between the age of 0-6 is meant for children to learn thru play, they need to learn sensorial abilities, develop their physical and social life and try to understand the world we leave in not burden them with so much numbers and alphabet. Research has shown that it is wrong to do that to a child. If you need more clarification just ask I will be willing to give you base on a professional point of view.

That is how it should be.

Please don't go the way they make it in Japan because they start with this early learning programm and they have much problems.

A child should be a child and a child has time to learn when he is 6 years old and not before.

3 Likes

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by Nobody: 1:20pm On Sep 17, 2013
blank: I am in support of what the school is doing I believe that children should be pushed to the maximum so they get used to working at that level. If the kid is not coping and you will be able to tell, let the kid go back a class.

The world is getting more competitive, no place for slackers and late bloomers. Be happy. If you like, when your kid gets home, u can bring out the play stuff and let him have fun. Btw, the schools still teach rhymes, dance etc, whilst teaching the nos and stuff.

We tend to forget that a child is nothing but a child. U over push it, it bounces back. Sociology 101.
Let's take real life example, MJ- even after all the super hits and success, he was never happy.
Poster, if u rnt comfortable, change school. The brain shouldn't be exerted beyond its capacity especially a developing brain. There is a limit.

8 Likes

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by Nobody: 2:28pm On Sep 17, 2013
blank: I am in support of what the school is doing I believe that children should be pushed to the maximum so they get used to working at that level. If the kid is not coping and you will be able to tell, let the kid go back a class.

@bolded is the cold hard truth. I have an 18-yr old in my class...clinical phase of medicine (that's like part 4 in Nigeria)...she's a very intelligent girl and people are alwayz envying her. I'm sure she must have learnt 1-200 before she was 6 for her to have made it that far. Whether we like it or not, the world has gone beyond a 21-yr old child still struggling with JAMB. The truth is our brain can take a lot of tinz, we're d ones that under-estimate it. I think if the child can handle it, let him/her be! The competition out there is not a joke!

9 Likes

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by Nobody: 3:00pm On Sep 17, 2013
parents should also not underestimate the importance of them sitting down with their young kids and actually teaching them something.

there is nothing wrong with your child learning his first letters, words or alphabets from YOU at home, before he or she ever starts school.

play teach or teach play, the focus here is on the child learning through either means.

dont just leave everything to the teacher alone, especially in the early years.

nursery rhymes, numbers, letters etc do not have to be left until the child starts school.

some westerners even go the extra mile and homeschool their kids into the teenage years.

if the child has an environment that is not conducive to learning, at home, (eg the parent fighting against education), then it makes it much more difficult for the kid to value such.

there is no need for a fuss- if you have an idea exactly what you want your son learning, then DISCUSS IT WITH HIS TEACHER. if you dont want to change his school.

4 Likes

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by PassingShot(m): 3:14pm On Sep 17, 2013
Audrey I: @topic: As incredible as it sounds(and I know this sounds far fetched) but, m[b]y daughter will be starting in at Nursery 1 on Monday and she writes 1 - 200 on her own. She's 3.[/b] She can also do basic additions, subtractions and can write two and three letter words. Just like your son, she's also been taught basic sentence construction. So your son's school is not over doing it.

While I understand your concerns about your child developing at a reasonable pace, I still feel you should be proud of him and the school, especially if he's recieving a well rounded education that includes mental, physical, social and moral developement.

Truth is, we live in a highly competitive world, and it isn't too early to begin to equip your child with much needed education, especially in this era where most employers operate a policy of 'the younger, the better.'

I very much doubt the bolded. A three year old is barely communicating to be understood perfectly! And yours is already writing 1 to 200?
Say something else abeg!

8 Likes

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by tpia5: 3:21pm On Sep 17, 2013
most 3 year olds are not that advanced, although it depends.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090302100608AAZ5R87

kids can have different rates of development, although in america, they have to stay with their peers, and whatever level their peers are, in general, not individually.

so, a kid who, in nigeria, is doing work that's ahead of his/her grade, would, if he or she travels out, most likely be placed back in the grade where his or her peers are, since placement is by age, not schoolwork or abilities.

however, if the kid does most of his/her schooling in nigeria, then starting early is a plus, because you're not discouraged from such,and in addition, the system is more conducive to both studying and socializing meaning one does not always have to rule out the other.

2 Likes

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by benedicta0(f): 4:59pm On Sep 17, 2013
Your son's school is" over teaching",and that is what most private schools are doing,they just want to make you feel you are getting the worth of your money.Normally,the nursery school is supposed to be a preparation class for basic classes but now,i wonder what they will teach them when they get to that stage,nowadays private schools are teaching more than the children can comprehend; which is very bad. Learning comes with wisdom,they should allow the child to grow up first when it is the right age the child will understand.

8 Likes

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by blank(f): 5:28pm On Sep 17, 2013
I, personally, dont think the school is "over-teaching" or "teaching what the kid's do not comprehend". There are kids there that understand and are enjoying the class. If you feel your child is not coping with school work or not comprehending, simply ask for your child to be placed in a lower class. By the time your child reaches the next class, he will be able to follow.

Also, don't forget to teach your child as well while at home.

4 Likes

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by Nobody: 6:43pm On Sep 17, 2013
^^ Simple.

Go to spelling Bee and see a 3rd grader beat a 5th grader at his game... na yam?

To you and your owns.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Missing Girl In Kaduna: Walida Found In Kano / It is a Confession Hour , I'm Sleeping With My Pastor's Wife . / Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.