Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,707 members, 7,809,687 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:10 PM

Certain Confusions About My Car. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Certain Confusions About My Car. (1593 Views)

Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage / Can I Replace My Car Engine Oil With A Road Side Measurement Oil? / My Car Makes Terrible Noise On Rough Roads (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Certain Confusions About My Car. by EHITZ(m): 9:56am On May 18, 2015
I use a Toyota Avensis 1999 Automatic salon Car.
its about 7 weeks old.
Now my worries are as follows:

1. I read in a thread that warming up a car is unnecessary and that it is better to move it slowly, and in the process, it gets warmed up. Is this position correct, if no, what is the best way to warm a car?

2. Do you fill in the coolant into the radiator or the plastic overflow container? Because I think my mechanic made a mistake by filling it into the container.

3.would like to know the recommended tyres for my car.

4. I would also like to have here a downloadable link to my owner's manual.

5. When I step on my break, a particular symbol comes up on my dash board. And I just changed my break pads.

Thanks in anticipation of your response.
Re: Certain Confusions About My Car. by ZIMDRILL(m): 12:37pm On May 18, 2015
the car warms up itself thats the job of the thermostat

for the brake issue take a picture of the symbol and show us

the manual check downloaded online all you need to take time and search the internet

the manual will tell you the recommend tyre size
Re: Certain Confusions About My Car. by EHITZ(m): 5:35pm On May 18, 2015
Those are the symbols on my dash board and when I step on my breaks.

thanks Zimdrill for your response.

Re: Certain Confusions About My Car. by mayor2013: 5:42pm On May 18, 2015
Re: Certain Confusions About My Car. by ZIMDRILL(m): 5:53pm On May 18, 2015
EHITZ:

those signs come on when you press the brakes while driving ?

from the picture it looks like the key in on position two

2 Likes

Re: Certain Confusions About My Car. by DGD1(m): 6:40pm On May 18, 2015
I don't think the engine is running.
the tachometer is on zero.

if you are not yet perfect in driving, have some one else snap while you drive the car, then pressing the brakes.

that was what ZIMDRILL required from you.

1 Like

Re: Certain Confusions About My Car. by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:43pm On May 18, 2015
EHITZ:

Is it the symbol on the extreem right?
Re: Certain Confusions About My Car. by ZIMDRILL(m): 9:50pm On May 18, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

thats a front fog light normal it should switch of once you switch of the engine

does it come on while you drive when you press the brakes ?
Re: Certain Confusions About My Car. by EHITZ(m): 10:27pm On May 18, 2015
ZIMDRILL:

thats a front fog light normal it should switch of once you switch of the engine

does it come on while you drive when you press the brakes ?
yes, it does when the car is running. And yes, it is the symbol on the extreme right.
Re: Certain Confusions About My Car. by EHITZ(m): 10:28pm On May 18, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

yes it is.
Re: Certain Confusions About My Car. by EHITZ(m): 10:31pm On May 18, 2015
And what do you guys think about the milage?
Re: Certain Confusions About My Car. by ZIMDRILL(m): 10:51pm On May 18, 2015
EHITZ:

yes, it does when the car is running. And yes, it is the symbol on the extreme right.

its the fog light normally it should switch off when you switch of the car, guess something wrong with your relay for that switch

now try to switch off by its button, the button is somewhere by drivers side check any button or sign of that fog light on the switches
Re: Certain Confusions About My Car. by Lexusgs430: 3:12am On May 19, 2015
EHITZ:
And what do you guys think about the milage?

Almost 237,000 km? The car don waka well well.
That's about 147,000 miles, expected from a car this age @ about 10k miles a year.
Expect little gremlins to show face, from time2time.
Re: Certain Confusions About My Car. by EHITZ(m): 8:50am On May 19, 2015
Lexusgs430:

Almost 237,000 km? The car don waka well well.
That's about 147,000 miles, expected from a car this age @ about 10k miles a year.
Expect little gremlins to show face, from time2time.

I really don't understand what you mean by gremlins. please explain.
Re: Certain Confusions About My Car. by honmusa(m): 2:27pm On May 20, 2015
EHITZ:
I use a Toyota Avensis 1999 Automatic salon Car.
its about 7 weeks old.
Now my worries are as follows:

1. I read in a thread that warming up a car is unnecessary and that it is better to move it slowly, and in the process, it gets warmed up. Is this position correct, if no, what is the best way to warm a car?

2. Do you fill in the coolant into the radiator or the plastic overflow container? Because I think my mechanic made a mistake by filling it into the container.

3.would like to know the recommended tyres for my car.

4. I would also like to have here a downloadable link to my owner's manual.

5. When I step on my break, a particular symbol comes up on my dash board. And I just changed my break pads.

Thanks in anticipation of your response.
u have short circuit issue ( short to power) in your wiring circuit that is why the dash symbol come up on applying brake.
u call contact autologic @ 08061166316 to address ur electrical issues.
Re: Certain Confusions About My Car. by ElFenomeno1: 2:35pm On May 20, 2015
EHITZ:

Gremlins = a few mechanical or electrical faults here and there due to the age and condition of the car.....

3 Likes

Re: Certain Confusions About My Car. by mayor2013: 2:43pm On May 20, 2015
honmusa:

u have short circuit issue in your wiring circuit that is why the dash symbol come up on applying brake.
u call contact autologic @ 08061166316 to address ur electrical issues.

I see
Re: Certain Confusions About My Car. by honmusa(m): 3:31pm On May 20, 2015
mayor2013:

I see
U ve got better clue?
Re: Certain Confusions About My Car. by Lexusgs430: 5:36pm On May 20, 2015
ElFenomeno1:

Gremlins = a few mechanical or electrical faults here and there due to the age and condition of the car.....

I could not have explained it any better!!!!
Re: Certain Confusions About My Car. by Lexusgs430: 5:36pm On May 20, 2015
ElFenomeno1:

Thank you. I could not have explained it any better!!!
Re: Certain Confusions About My Car. by EHITZ(m): 10:55am On May 21, 2015
EHITZ:

It seems you are right. Because I also noticed for the past two days now, if I leave my car overnight, it will not start without me hitting on the battery. It also happens when my engine isnot running and use my AC, the engine does not come on after that. Could this be the reason?
Re: Certain Confusions About My Car. by Nobody: 10:33pm On May 21, 2015
ZIMDRILL:

It's the rear foglamp indicator, Zim. Front fog lamps are indicated by a similar symbol, in green. It's also reversed, and the beam is slanted downwards.

To the thread starter: That indicator will only illuminate when you depress the brake pedal, if the brake lamp and rear fog lamp 12V+ feeds are interconnected. Most likely an incorrect connection at the rear of the car.

Has any wiring been carried out recently?

Lastly...make yourself understood better, by giving correct details about your car. A 1999 Toyota Avensis is 16-years-old. You may well have owned / registered it 7 weeks ago, but that does NOT alter the age of the car. A 7 week old car is brand new, very different from a 16-year-old example. The age of a vehicle is determined by the date of FIRST registration in whatever country it was originally sold in.

1 Like

Re: Certain Confusions About My Car. by betterbest: 12:10am On May 22, 2015
Re: Certain Confusions About My Car. by EHITZ(m): 7:46pm On May 22, 2015
Siena:

It's the rear foglamp indicator, Zim. Front fog lamps are indicated by a similar symbol, in green. It's also reversed, and the beam is slanted downwards.

To the thread starter: That indicator will only illuminate when you depress the brake pedal, if the brake lamp and rear fog lamp 12V+ feeds are interconnected. Most likely an incorrect connection at the rear of the car.

Has any wiring been carried out recently?

Lastly...make yourself understood better, by giving correct details about your car. A 1999 Toyota Avensis is 16-years-old. You may well have owned / registered it 7 weeks ago, but that does NOT alter the age of the car. A 7 week old car is brand new, very different from a 16-year-old example. The age of a vehicle is determined by the date of FIRST registration in whatever country it was originally sold in.

thanks for your response. Yes, someone worked on the break lights sometime ago. I would ask another rewire to check.
when I said 7 weeks old, I actually meant 7weeks old as a second owner, as it was bought as tokunbo. Thanks all the same, that was very helpful.
Re: Certain Confusions About My Car. by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:08pm On May 22, 2015
EHITZ:

thanks for your response. Yes, someone worked on the break lights sometime ago. I would ask another rewire to check.
when I said 7 weeks old, I actually meant 7weeks old as a second owner, as it was bought as tokunbo. Thanks all the same, that was very helpful.
The wrong type of bulbs were fitted in your brake light holders, normally it should come with 2pins (one for brake lights, the other for parking lights). First pic is what should be there.
[img]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRTTdnzFrjwqOrx8Ukbdtx3MI6Drwb8QtmUHl09I9jyxoZcoYIRGctTYV3z2g[/img]

This is the wrong bulb that was fixed [img]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRb6KA-B_oNQlQpt-fTKFbcMKsT6HBz1ROeOWiDEuXwLqt7MwMg9AnDU1wC[/img]

What happens when you step on the brakes now is feed back from the brake lights to the parking lights.

1 Like

Re: Certain Confusions About My Car. by Nobody: 2:21pm On May 24, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

The wrong type of bulbs were fitted in your brake light holders, normally it should come with 2pins (one for brake lights, the other for parking lights). First pic is what should be there.
[img]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRTTdnzFrjwqOrx8Ukbdtx3MI6Drwb8QtmUHl09I9jyxoZcoYIRGctTYV3z2g[/img]

This is the wrong bulb that was fixed [img]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRb6KA-B_oNQlQpt-fTKFbcMKsT6HBz1ROeOWiDEuXwLqt7MwMg9AnDU1wC[/img]

What happens when you step on the brakes now is feed back from the brake lights to the parking lights.

This would be true for the brake/tail lamps.

However, the foglamp bulb holder is not shared with either the tail or brake lamps. The scenario you've described will only illuminate the tail AND side lamps when the brake pedal is depressed.

Unless the foglamp has been wired to share a twin-terminal bulb holder with the brake lamp...

1 Like

Re: Certain Confusions About My Car. by pappyshun(m): 6:10pm On May 24, 2015
Auto gurus in the house should please help a friend of mine who intends buying a Mitsubishi Outlander 04 due to his budget with useful advice on the aforementioned CUV. His fears are if this CUV is worth buying considering the nature of our roads and availabilty of professionals whenever the vehicle develops any issue.The engine strength , ruggedness, comfortability and fuel efficiency is also a factor to be addressed.Feel free to contribute to enable him make a positive decision
Re: Certain Confusions About My Car. by EHITZ(m): 10:08pm On May 24, 2015
Waoooooh! Thanks to all the gurus, at least I now know where my problem lies, would go back and change those bulbs.

(1) (Reply)

Abuja To Calabar 13032016 / Between Mitsubishi L300 Bus And Nissan Vanette Bus Which Is More Economical / What Happens If Lightning Carrying 600k To 1m Volt Of Electricity Strikes A Car?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.