Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,120 members, 7,818,361 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:34 PM

How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today (19140 Views)

"How I Escaped From Evans Cell After They Concluded To Kill Me" - Pharmacist / List Of Victims Kidnapped By Evans And Identities Of His Gang Members / 13-year-old Boys Who Fled Home And Lied About Being Kidnapped Nabbed In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by Hotstew(m): 9:45am On May 20, 2015
I had a harrowing experience with some agent of the Nigerian Police Force (NPF) this morning and this has prompted me to come to the conclusion that the percentage of bad eggs in the NPF is by far more than that of the good ones who stuck to the professionality of policing and maintaining law and order as stipulated by their job description. I am not a resident of Lagos State neither have I visited Lagos in a very long time. The occasional times I visit Lagos is either if I'm on an official assignment from my place of work or I'm visiting my sister (she works with an IT firm at Victoria Island).

I had to visit my sister in Lagos today. She has taken I'll for 3 days and my dad (who is resident in Ondo State) is really worried. He mandated me that I go see what's happening as he will join me later in the day because we live in different cities. (I work in Oshogbo, Osun State). I would have left him to go check my sister up but I'm not unaware of the stress the inherent traffic in Lagos can wreck on an old man. Going with my better judgment, I decided not to drive to Lagos.

For the trip, I packed my laptop bag with just a shirt, jeans trousers and a boxer short since I will be spending just 1 day. I boarded a commercial bus and by 5:31 AM, I was en route already. I call my old man to confirm if he has moved to which he asserted the affirmative.

My journey to Lagos was mostly uneventful and smooth. I never knew a rude awakening was waiting for me as soon as I alighted from the bus. I got off the bus at Berger immediately after the bridge. I'm sure Lagos residents know that this is one of the major terminals for commercial vehicles streaming into Lagos daily. On getting off the bus, I slung my small laptop bag over my shoulder and was descending one of those stairs to go chill out at any restaurant and eat breakfast and wait for my dad who said he as at that time has just gotten to Sagamu.

I was suddenly tapped on the shoulder my a man wearing a white lace sown in the Yoruba bùbá and sóró. He told me to follow him. By default I ignored him and kept going down the stairs. I have heard of several people who have been hypnotized and scammed by strangers in Lagos and I'm not ready to be a victim. All that was on my mind was to see my sister.

As I was walking away, a uniformed policeman ran past me on the stairs. When he got to the base, he corked his rifle and told me to go back to the road and explained why I disobeyed the "police officer" that first tapped me. I told him I didn't know he's a policeman because he didn't show me any identification and he wasn't wearing his uniform. He replied by say "that one na story. Go back up to the road. Respect yourself". I went back to the road. Even though people were much that was passing by, I don't know why these people selected me out of the multitude.

When I got back to the road, the one that previously tapped me asked me what was in my bag. I told him it's my change of clothes. I opened it and showed him the content. He ordered me to give it to him. I did. Then he poured the content on the ground. My shirt, jeans and spare boxers which were the only content of the bag was right there on the dusty ground. This really infuriated me. I asked him why he had to do that, he smiled wickedly and said in Yoruba "Orí ò pé" (literally meaning "your head is not correct"wink I picked up my stuffs and I guess this really pissed her off. He grabbed the bag and the dusty clothes and dropped it in the boot of a green Mazda 626 car. All these while, the uniformed officer has gone back to sit in the back seat of the car.

Then another man also dressed in mufti came and asked me for my phone.
New mufti man: Where are your phones?

Me: They are in my pocket.

New mufti man: Give them to me.

Me: Why? Are you looking for a lost phone?

New mufti man: (Laughs) You are asking me questions abi. Are you into internet fraud? Are you a yahooboy?

This question shocked me because I wasn't expecting such. I never knew this was what they are looking for. My instinct told me to cooperate with him since I don't have any incriminating thing on my phone. I told him I wasn't a fraudulent and unlocked my blackberry Q10 and handed it to him. He looked through. As he was doing that, the other guy on native was stopping other passersby and searching them.

After he looked through my phone, he said to the uniformed man that there was nothing in the phone. I was expecting him to give me my phone and bag and let me go. Then the unexpected happened. He ordered me to get into the car and at the same time, he switched off my phone. I was so angry, I swear if it wasn't that I was in an area where I don't know anybody, I would have punched the crap out of him.

Before he could put the phone in his pocket, I snatched it from him. One instinct said I should run but my better judgment was against it because I didn't do anything wrong. As I grabbed the phone, the guy lunged at me. That. Was how he started punching and shuffling me. I held his shirt at the neck very tight and I used my other hand to press the ON button on my phone. As the scuffle was going on, the other guy in native joined in dragging me. The were pulling me in the direction of their car. I started shouting that they were kidnappers but I kept an eye on the screen of my phone. By this time, people were gathered already by they typical Lagos crowd were just looking. Nobody interfered.

Immediately my phone showed 100% on the screen, this is an indication that it has fully booted, I used all my strength to break free from them, ran a bit because they pursued me. I opened my phone and started taking pictures of them. Though I didn't get any good shot because I was moving backwards and the pictures were blurry, I said I've sent it to my friends and siblings and that by evening, everybody on all social networks will see their faces and identify them.

Just like magic, they stopped harassing me. The one in uniform now came down as said give him his bag. Let him go. That's how I escaped being kidnapped by men of the NPF this morning at Berger. As I write the update, waiting for my dad to arrive so I can take him around, I'm looking at them across the road. They are still at Berger bus top harassing people and extorting money from unfortunate people who fall into their trap.

I hope the new IGP and the incoming govt will do something abt this. Really, Nigeria in the hands of these present crop of police me has gone to the dogs.

82 Likes 10 Shares

Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by ladyteska(f): 9:51am On May 20, 2015
Wetin i neva read?
Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by Maxymilliano(m): 9:54am On May 20, 2015
Thank goodness you didn't end up in hot stew as your moniker depict. wink

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by Hotstew(m): 10:00am On May 20, 2015
Maxymilliano:
Thank goodness you didn't end up in hot stew as your moniker depict. wink

It's because I was hot stew, that's why I was able to fight the harassment oooo grin

13 Likes

Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by Tunami(m): 10:00am On May 20, 2015
the nigeria police needs total reorientation. Anyway tank God for u.

1 Like

Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by femiero: 10:05am On May 20, 2015
These policemen are animals. If dem see arm robbers now, dem go run. Na innocent people dem fit harass. Buhari shd find a way to sanitize dem. They are one of the major problem this country has.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by Maxymilliano(m): 10:08am On May 20, 2015
Hotstew:

It's because I was hot stew, that's why I was able to fight the harassment oooo grin

Good for you Hot Stew ... grin

Had similar experience in 2004 at same place, it was like a walk in the park. No form of harassment or whatsoever.
Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by nifemi25(m): 10:27am On May 20, 2015
I live in ojodu Berger. That's how they used to Harass anybody with laptop bag. Either you are a yahooboy or not so far you carry a laptop bag.

They called themselves police antiyahoo.

1 Like

Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by femiero: 10:38am On May 20, 2015
nifemi25:
I live in ojodu Berger. That's how they used to Harass anybody with laptop bag. Either you are a yahooboy or not so far you carry a laptop bag.

They called themselves police antiyahoo.

So after they've searched people and didn't find anything, the next thing is to try steal their phones or kidnap them abi? #ThisNeedsToStop

6 Likes

Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by azpekuliar: 10:52am On May 20, 2015
Where are the blurry pictures you managed to take?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by kowema(f): 2:03pm On May 20, 2015
Useless Nigerian Police. Thank God u wia smart nd u pulled out of their grasp, the one dat is reigning for dos weed polices men is to shoot at innocent people
Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by gulfer: 8:58am On May 21, 2015
This is FP-worthy, @Lalasticlala cool cool cool

1 Like

Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by tociano009(m): 9:32am On May 21, 2015
O ma se o, and aregbesola never pay salary
Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by Nobody: 9:32am On May 21, 2015
Nigeria will be better if all police are executed, and fresh graduates recruited for a new NPF

27 Likes

Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by Bonapart(m): 9:32am On May 21, 2015
Too long
Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by loomer: 9:32am On May 21, 2015
Godwin
Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by niceguy7(m): 9:33am On May 21, 2015
Jeez so even police that supposed to protect the citizens too dey kidnap? shocked

1 Like

Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by vickyO(f): 9:33am On May 21, 2015
I can attest to the fact that a larger percentage of the Police are bunch of jokes...

They urge me to give them a little something for the boys most times I pass through their checkpoints... The females amongst then are even joining the man must chop movement.... It's so appalling and makes me respect them less..
Sorry for the harassment. If true, could you please share their pictures?

3 Likes

Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by kliq(m): 9:33am On May 21, 2015
By Police shocked say that again undecided
Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by Nobody: 9:33am On May 21, 2015
Police? shocked
Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by Nobody: 9:34am On May 21, 2015
When has the Nigerian police turned into a kidnapping syndicate
Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by Nobody: 9:34am On May 21, 2015
kowema:
Useless Nigerian Police. Thank God u wia smart nd u pulled out of their grasp, the one dat is reigning for dos weed polices men is to shoot at innocent people

Pls read my sig
Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by uwa1(m): 9:34am On May 21, 2015
thank God
angry
Police Anti-Yahoo?? undecided undecided undecided
What, in the name of heavens, is that?? I wish you got a clear pix of them! angry angry
Armed Robbers in police uniform!

3 Likes

When the protector becomes the one to be feared.

All the Vices in the world are in the Police Force

1 Like

Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by Nobody: 9:35am On May 21, 2015
Things are happening. Thank God for your life!

Happy Birthday suxxman !! How many likes for my Bro? God bless y'all

2 Likes

Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by Nobody: 9:35am On May 21, 2015
Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by umarc19: 9:36am On May 21, 2015
Kidnapped by Police shocked?

How ridiculous undecided
Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by publicenemy(m): 9:37am On May 21, 2015
Loil
Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by wiringdpt(m): 9:37am On May 21, 2015
Yahoo police
Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by kazmanbanjoko(m): 9:37am On May 21, 2015
False story. Hw can police kidnap d person wey he suppose to protect.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

NGO Founder Remanded For Sodomising His Twin Children / Police Parade Teenager And Pastor Over Alleged Murders / Police Demolish Criminal Hideouts In Ishawo Creeks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.