Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,303 members, 7,957,764 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 07:36 PM

How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today (19367 Views)

"How I Escaped From Evans Cell After They Concluded To Kill Me" - Pharmacist / List Of Victims Kidnapped By Evans And Identities Of His Gang Members / 13-year-old Boys Who Fled Home And Lied About Being Kidnapped Nabbed In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by IbroKG: 10:28am On May 21, 2015
Quite scary
Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by skytreader(m): 10:36am On May 21, 2015
I find it very alarming that some have either resorted to mocking the OP or saying he's lying. These things really happen and people get hurt or/and lose their properties as a result. Back in 2010, in Ife, just going from my uncle's house to the university campus, a policeman stopped my cousin and I, found my cousin's laptop in his car trunk and when my cousin told him the receipt wasn't on him, he told him he had to follow him to the police station. It took a plea from another policeman whom my cousin had called on the phone for him to let us go. If that can happen in the relatively quiet town of Ile-Ife, why not in Lagos? It is utterly shameful that people who claim to be well-read and knowledgeable about happenings in the country will ignorantly wave this aside.
I have taken a hint from the OP's experience and how his quick thinking saved him, though. These days, one can never tell...

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by Nobody: 10:36am On May 21, 2015
ziqqz:
Nigeria will be better if all police are executed, and fresh graduates recruited for a new NPF

grin grin Honestly, u're an animal, not different frm the police.

1 Like

Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by Nobody: 10:38am On May 21, 2015
That is what police is turning to in Nigeria.
Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by Bonapart(m): 10:40am On May 21, 2015
Codyt:

Were you forced to read it seriously? Ignorant buzz!
angry

Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by entparrot(f): 10:44am On May 21, 2015
Solution: find somebody that can write English, write petition to the IG and Lagos state command, then contact Samson folarin of punch newspaper, to publish what happen to you.

Punch don't ask a dime from you, they will publish your story.

10 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by Nobody: 10:53am On May 21, 2015
I had a similar experience, but i was with a photocopy of the receipt, but the bastard policeman was picking fault because it was not the original receipt.

skytreader:
I find it very alarming that some have either resorted to mocking the OP or saying he's lying. These things really happen and people get hurt or/and lose their properties as a result. Back in 2010, in Ife, just going from my uncle's house to the university campus, a policeman stopped my cousin and I, found my laptop's cousin in his car trunk and when my cousin told him the receipt wasn't on him, he told him he had to follow him to the police station. It took a plea from another policeman whom my cousin had called on the phone for him to let us go. If that can happen in the relatively quiet town of Ile-Ife, why not in Lagos? It is utterly shameful that people who claim to be well-read and knowledgeable about happenings in the country will ignorantly wave this aside.
I have taken a hint from the OP's experience and how his quick thinking saved him, though. These days, one can never tell...
Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by entparrot(f): 10:57am On May 21, 2015
If you have been victim of police brutality or extortion, it wont cost you anything to make complain. You don't need a lawyer, those lawyers will scare you with huge bills.

Write a petition to the IG, if you can't write find university student and give the person a tip to write for you.

Detail everything that happen in the petition, and contact Punch, or other media house, include both nairaland, linda ikeji and others.

Go to DHL or courier company, tell them you want to send the petition to the IG, I think it cost only 700naira

The top police bosses are afraid of the media, they will act properly, once they see the media is involve.

Please don't keep quite anymore, many more will be their victim, if we don't act. Even if you have been a victim since last year or 2years ago, you can still petition the IG.

We don't need lawyers anymore, we need punch and nairaland

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by Nobody: 11:00am On May 21, 2015
LARRYDKING:

grin grin Honestly, u're an animal, not different frm the police.

proffer a better solution rather than publicize your legendary imbecility
Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by pxdaniel(m): 11:02am On May 21, 2015
ziqqz:
Nigeria will be better if all police are executed, and fresh graduates recruited for a new NPF

Why not jst execute everyone on earth and create a new set of people?? Isn't that better?
Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by Nobody: 11:02am On May 21, 2015
Don't just complain and let them get away with it. On page 2 of this thread, entparrot has given you some ideas on how to push this case to the IG by writing a petition and sending your story to punch... Please do your part to ensure they stop extorting and kidnapping people at berger junction.

Hotstew:
I had...

1 Like

Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by pxdaniel(m): 11:03am On May 21, 2015
ziqqz:

Why not jst execute everyone on earth and create a new set of people?? Isn't that even better? Or do you think it is only graduates that have high morals?
Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by godwin120alex: 11:09am On May 21, 2015
Sorry bro you really had a bad experience.
Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by erico2k2(m): 11:16am On May 21, 2015
Hotstew:

It's because I was hot stew, that's why I was able to fight the harassment oooo grin
Bro if you have ani pic post them on here so we can all shame them
Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by yomzzy(m): 11:19am On May 21, 2015
southniyikaye:
The one that tried it with me will never forget in his life..I came to pick a friend at ojota,we we're leaving for akure and this police just jumped inside my car. I asked him what my offense was,he said I parked illegally and I will need to follow him to their station.to cut the long story short,na benin-ore express way I drop am after he Don beg tire
haha cheesy bros u harsh o.. nice one grin Serves the idio.t right.

1 Like

Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by Nelton(m): 11:20am On May 21, 2015
This is a normal occurence with people living around Ojodu area. The Grammer school police station is known for its notierity in harassing people and extorting money from them all in the bid of looking for yahoo boys. The truth is that they even know the yahoo boys bit they don't disturb them because those ones constantly drop moneyfor them. So it is innocent people like the OP they harass and if you're unlucky to fall into their trap you ate done for. They ate always around that Berger area or along Yakoyo road by the market stopping young men on Okada or if they see you driving any fine car. I see them everyday and it is so painful when you see them misbehaving like this. I wish the police commisoner or IG can do something about these guys from Grammerschool police station and Adigboloja police station.. Terrible set of people.

2 Likes

Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by Intendy: 11:21am On May 21, 2015
Very lucky you.it has happened to me before around ojuelegba in Lagos.but were definitely clever than the ones you encountered.
all they did was that I identify myself which I did with my national and voters card to make it tally.next they requested for my phone to check somethings which I obliged.
now I was told to enter their vehicle,then I asked y?
they just started their vehicle that if I don't enter they'll go with my phone and I.d card to implicate me in a crime incident.na so I open mouth enter.
no struggles @ all between us.
next na money settle am after patrolling with them for over five hours 9am to 2pm.
they settled for 5k cause they were ready to do an undo.
if you don't have much on you they know cause they would have searched you thoroughly.
NEVER EVER ARGUE WITH TRIGGER HAPPY POLICEMEN CAUSE THEY CAN Do ANYTHING

4 Likes

Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by denedene(m): 11:23am On May 21, 2015
even in benin, i remember when i was nearly put behind bars according to the policemen, i was young to be driving a jeep n i owed 3phones.... hian! wrote statement n all that crap which was later torn when they received the call.. undecided op sorry shaa! i pray the IG does something about it
Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by ibkgab001: 11:24am On May 21, 2015
Your laptop bag got you into all this mess .. They are yahoo police
Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by Horlufemi(m): 11:26am On May 21, 2015
I've said it before I'll say it again. We don't have police in this country. We have legit armed robbers who catch unregistered armed robbers and force innocent people to be robbers.

2 Likes

Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by Nobody: 11:28am On May 21, 2015
kazmanbanjoko:
False story. Hw can police kidnap d person wey he suppose to protect.

Pray it never happens to you bro,theres no iota of doubt to what the OP said,the police is not ur friend,even when theres no evidence against you,and you are cooperating they will still harass and molest you,just pray they dont set their eyes on you,like someone earlier said the only way to sanitize these current police force is by executing every one of them and recruiting graduates
Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by fireforfire: 11:36am On May 21, 2015
nig police is EVIL
Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by matingo(f): 11:38am On May 21, 2015
Dy are everywhere in Lagos now, a church member was robbed recently by two policemen on a bike, also abt a month ago two policemen on a bike stopped my husband and wanted to enter his car, his shouts of robbers attracted a lot of ppl so dy fled. When driving to work in the morning, I see dm, I just pray dat dy don't stop me because it's always confusing Wat to do once dy stop u and try to enter your car under the guise of taking you to the station, you end up being robbed.
Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by Occurstaem(m): 11:39am On May 21, 2015
May God save us from all evils.
Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by Nobody: 11:40am On May 21, 2015
kazmanbanjoko:
How is the story false? I feel like e-knocking of your teeth right now.
Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by elohorayodele: 11:46am On May 21, 2015
Hotstew:
I had a harrowing experience with some agent of the Nigerian Police Force (NPF) this morning and this has prompted me to come to the conclusion that the percentage of bad eggs in the NPF is by far more than that of the good ones who stuck to the professionality of policing and maintaining law and order as stipulated by their job description. I am not a resident of Lagos State neither have I visited Lagos in a very long time. The occasional times I visit Lagos is either if I'm on an official assignment from my place of work or I'm visiting my sister (she works with an IT firm at Victoria Island).

I had to visit my sister in Lagos today. She has taken I'll for 3 days and my dad (who is resident in Ondo State) is really worried. He mandated me that I go see what's happening as he will join me later in the day because we live in different cities. (I work in Oshogbo, Osun State). I would have left him to go check my sister up but I'm not unaware of the stress the inherent traffic in Lagos can wreck on an old man. Going with my better judgment, I decided not to drive to Lagos.

For the trip, I packed my laptop bag with just a shirt, jeans trousers and a boxer short since I will be spending just 1 day. I boarded a commercial bus and by 5:31 AM, I was en route already. I call my old man to confirm if he has moved to which he asserted the affirmative.

My journey to Lagos was mostly uneventful and smooth. I never knew a rude awakening was waiting for me as soon as I alighted from the bus. I got off the bus at Berger immediately after the bridge. I'm sure Lagos residents know that this is one of the major terminals for commercial vehicles streaming into Lagos daily. On getting off the bus, I slung my small laptop bag over my shoulder and was descending one of those stairs to go chill out at any restaurant and eat breakfast and wait for my dad who said he as at that time has just gotten to Sagamu.

I was suddenly tapped on the shoulder my a man wearing a white lace sown in the Yoruba bùbá and sóró. He told me to follow him. By default I ignored him and kept going down the stairs. I have heard of several people who have been hypnotized and scammed by strangers in Lagos and I'm not ready to be a victim. All that was on my mind was to see my sister.

As I was walking away, a uniformed policeman ran past me on the stairs. When he got to the base, he corked his rifle and told me to go back to the road and explained why I disobeyed the "police officer" that first tapped me. I told him I didn't know he's a policeman because he didn't show me any identification and he wasn't wearing his uniform. He replied by say "that one na story. Go back up to the road. Respect yourself". I went back to the road. Even though people were much that was passing by, I don't know why these people selected me out of the multitude.

When I got back to the road, the one that previously tapped me asked me what was in my bag. I told him it's my change of clothes. I opened it and showed him the content. He ordered me to give it to him. I did. Then he poured the content on the ground. My shirt, jeans and spare boxers which were the only content of the bag was right there on the dusty ground. This really infuriated me. I asked him why he had to do that, he smiled wickedly and said in Yoruba "Orí ò pé" (literally meaning "your head is not correct"wink I picked up my stuffs and I guess this really pissed her off. He grabbed the bag and the dusty clothes and dropped it in the boot of a green Mazda 626 car. All these while, the uniformed officer has gone back to sit in the back seat of the car.

Then another man also dressed in mufti came and asked me for my phone.
New mufti man: Where are your phones?

Me: They are in my pocket.

New mufti man: Give them to me.

Me: Why? Are you looking for a lost phone?

New mufti man: (Laughs) You are asking me questions abi. Are you into internet fraud? Are you a yahooboy?

This question shocked me because I wasn't expecting such. I never knew this was what they are looking for. My instinct told me to cooperate with him since I don't have any incriminating thing on my phone. I told him I wasn't a fraudulent and unlocked my blackberry Q10 and handed it to him. He looked through. As he was doing that, the other guy on native was stopping other passersby and searching them.

After he looked through my phone, he said to the uniformed man that there was nothing in the phone. I was expecting him to give me my phone and bag and let me go. Then the unexpected happened. He ordered me to get into the car and at the same time, he switched off my phone. I was so angry, I swear if it wasn't that I was in an area where I don't know anybody, I would have punched the crap out of him.

Before he could put the phone in his pocket, I snatched it from him. One instinct said I should run but my better judgment was against it because I didn't do anything wrong. As I grabbed the phone, the guy lunged at me. That. Was how he started punching and shuffling me. I held his shirt at the neck very tight and I used my other hand to press the ON button on my phone. As the scuffle was going on, the other guy in native joined in dragging me. The were pulling me in the direction of their car. I started shouting that they were kidnappers but I kept an eye on the screen of my phone. By this time, people were gathered already by they typical Lagos crowd were just looking. Nobody interfered.

Immediately my phone showed 100% on the screen, this is an indication that it has fully booted, I used all my strength to break free from them, ran a bit because they pursued me. I opened my phone and started taking pictures of them. Though I didn't get any good shot because I was moving backwards and the pictures were blurry, I said I've sent it to my friends and siblings and that by evening, everybody on all social networks will see their faces and identify them.

Just like magic, they stopped harassing me. The one in uniform now came down as said give him his bag. Let him go. That's how I escaped being kidnapped by men of the NPF this morning at Berger. As I write the update, waiting for my dad to arrive so I can take him around, I'm looking at them across the road. They are still at Berger bus top harassing people and extorting money from unfortunate people who fall into their trap.

I hope the new IGP and the incoming govt will do something abt this. Really, Nigeria in the hands of these present crop of police me has gone to the dogs.

maybe na your name de follow you. men of the NPF and armed robbers are in the same class. only difference is the police rob wit a uniform and are paid salaries monthly by govt
Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by antiscamservice: 11:52am On May 21, 2015
Thanks to the Op for the thread.
The Police harassment i experienced that readily comes to mind happened in Ile-Ife in 2011, during the yahoo-yahoo boom in the ancient town.

This was a very interesting time in ife, as the main duty of cops in the town was the tracking of yahoo boys.
Once you drive a fairly clean car, you automatically
become a target.
What they did was to trail you to your destination and harass you by threatening to take you to the station or position themselves at eateries, bars, banks and business centres to arrest unsuspecting 'yahoo boys'.
So on this particular day, I drove to shopping complex in Mayfair (city centre) to collect a printing job.
As I got to the entrance and made to drive in, two uniformed policemen armed with their normal Ak-47 assault rifles just appeared out of the blues and ordered me to open the door. I did and they jumped into the backseat.
They shouted that we were going straight to the station. I said for what, they just shouted that I should zoom straight to the station.

I said no problem but I must accomplish my mission there first- that is, to pick up my printing work.
Before they knew what was happening, I parked the car and walked staright to my printer's shop, leaving them in the car.

I started some unnecessary discussions with the printer infront of his shop. After about five minutes, they got out of the car and signalled to me that I was wasting their time. I told them i was coming.
By this time, people had gathered and were watching keenly.

I kept on talking without even looking at them; some minutes later their patrol van just zoomed into the premises and their boss got out and beckoned to me.

He said I was embarrassing his men. I told him I came to do something and must accomplish my mission. A lot of people were watching us at this point. Because he talked to me with decorum, I gave them 500 naira and hey left in shame.

Let me just drop this too.
I was stopped on the highway at a checkpoint manned by the police.
They demanded for my papers and i promptly gave them.
The guy that checked my papers said I didnt have ECMR; so for that reason we were going to the station.
Fortunately, I was not in a hurry that day.
He said I should turn the car around and park, that we were heading back to their station in town.
Without arguing with him, I did what he said.

Two of my friends were in the car, so I told them to come out so that we can be gistin. So we were enjoying ourselves, gisting outside. We didnt even send them. We were making and receiving calls, unconcerned. Other travellers were looking at us, wondering what was happening.

After some minutes, the cops just told us to leave.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by vikeyz(m): 11:53am On May 21, 2015
the poster above me is not frm Nigeria, meanwhile no weapon formed against any nairalander shall not prosper
Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by seankay(m): 11:53am On May 21, 2015
kazmanbanjoko:
Do you live in Nigeria at all?
Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by kazmanbanjoko(m): 11:56am On May 21, 2015
seankay:

Do you live in Nigeria at all?
go and find out from google.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by seankay(m): 11:59am On May 21, 2015
kazmanbanjoko:
go and find out from google.
Okay
Re: How I Escaped Being Kidnapped By "Police" In Lagos Today by teemy(m): 12:13pm On May 21, 2015
For the benefit of those who are doubting the OP's story a similar event happened to me at oshodi market when I travelled to lagos to repair two PS2 games even though I was picked up quite close to where I bought one of them. The cops were not willing to investigate anything ('cos there was nothing to investigate in the first place) and one of them bundled me from the main courtyard into the station when I was trying to make a phone call even though I was not under arrest. That was the day I discovered there is another market at oshodi - The Nigerian Police Force PLC Oshodi branch.

Without cause there was never any reason for the searches in the first place.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Customs Officer Shoots Man Coming Back From Church Dead In Ogun (Graphic Pics) / Man Kills His Only Brother Over N100,000 Debt / Gunmen Kidnap Three Pastors On Their Way To Crusade In Kogi, Demand N80m Ransom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.