Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,232 members, 7,849,851 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 10:43 AM

Why Are There No Pre-colonial Opposition Figures From Odua? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are There No Pre-colonial Opposition Figures From Odua? (4261 Views)

Stella Odua's Son Is Dead / From Odua To Oduastan Emirate. / Are There Any Pre-colonial Yoruba Opposition Figures? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are There No Pre-colonial Opposition Figures From Odua? by scholes0(m): 2:01pm On May 20, 2015
aguiyi:

are you this dumb?

what is brought to you and what is said about you are 2 different things. were did you graduate from

You will not accept what the white man says, yet you imbibed his ideas and his culture (which are basically a set of ideas) , and now practice it as if it was originally yours...
by the way, engage in a real discussion and stop asking infantile questions.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are There No Pre-colonial Opposition Figures From Odua? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 2:02pm On May 20, 2015
This is how Alaafin of Oyo sold out and pacified his kingsmen for 200 bags of cowries.

Treaty between Adeyemi, Alafin of Oyo and Head of Yoruba-land and Her Majesty, Queen of Great Britain and Ireland, July 1888

I, Adeyami, Alafin of Oyo and Head of Yoruba-land, the four corners of which are and have been from time immemorial known as Egba, Ketu, Jebu and Oyo, embracing within its area that inhabited by all Yoruba-speaking peoples, being desirous of entering into, and maintaining for ever, friendly relations with the subjects of Her Majesty, the Queen of Great Britain and Ireland, and of developing the resources of Yoruba by means of legitimate trade with the subjects of Her Majesty and those under her protection or who may hereafter come under her protection, and in gratitude for what the Queen has at so much expense and risk to life done from time to time for my country, have at this day at the city of Oyo in the presnece of witnesses declared my intention of abiding by the following articles:

I. From henceforth there should be peace and friendship between the subjects of Her Majesty the Queen and those under her protection, and the Alafin of Oyo and King of Yorubaland and his people, and all other peoples over whom he has authority and influence.

II. The subjects of the Queen may always trade freely with the people of Oyo, and the Yoruba-speaking countries in every article they may wish to buy and sell, in all towns, rivers, creeks, waters, markets and places within territories known as Yoruba: and I, Adeyemi, pledge myself to show no favour and to give no privilege to the traders or people of other countries which I do not give or show to those of the Queen.

III. British subjects and others under the Queen's protection are to have the first consideration in all trade transactions with my peoples.

IV. No tolls, duties, fees, imposts or charges shall be charged or levied upon the person or property of any British subject or other person under Her Majesty's prtoection other than and beyond that or those which are customary and reasonable, or may from time to time be agreed upon to be so levied or charged by the Governor of Lagos and myself.

5. I will not allow any disputes that may arise between people frequenting or visiting the markets in my territory to interfere with or stop the markets; and all differences or disputes that may arise other than trade disputes between my peoples and those of other nations and tribes visiting the markets shall be adjusted by me or referred for adjustment and settlement to the decision of an arbitrator appointed by the Governor of Lagos, and the decision and award of such arbitrator shall be finally conclusive.

6. I engage as far as in me lies to bring about new markets between the Oyos and toher Yoruba-speaking peoples, to promote the enlargement of existing ones, and to keep open all the roads through my kingdom to the Niger, and towards the coast.

7. It is hereby further agreed that no cession of territory and no other Treaty or Agreement shall be made by me other than the one I have now made without the full understanding and consent of the Governor for the time being of the said Colony of Lagos.

8. In consideration of the faithful observance of the foregoing Articles of the Agreement the Government of Lago will make unto me a yearly dash to the value of 200 (two hundred) bags of cowries, but such dash may upon breach or neglect of all or any one or more of the provisions of the Agreement and at the discretion of the Governor of the Colony of Lagos be altogether withdrawn or suspended.

Sealed and signed at Oyo this 23rd day of July 1888.

Betrayal is in their genes!

1 Like

Re: Why Are There No Pre-colonial Opposition Figures From Odua? by scholes0(m): 2:03pm On May 20, 2015
aguiyi:

WHY DID THE YORUBAS ABANDON THE STRUGGLE OR THEIR FORBEARS

Oh so now the question has totally deviated from the original premise of the thread.... ?
Very soon you will be "schooled" again, and the question will deviate even further.
Re: Why Are There No Pre-colonial Opposition Figures From Odua? by sigain: 2:06pm On May 20, 2015
Oleeeeee, go look for your own lagoon in the east if there's any and stop dreaming in another tribes belonging. south south no belong to u. counterfeit pple.
AlfaSeltzer:

Ewu n'ebe akwa my host have mercy. I will soon remove myself from your midst and relocate to the lagoon. Just don't come and claim the lagoon later after I develop it.

Lazy, lazy, lazy, lazy.
Ose, ose baba, ose baba
Re: Why Are There No Pre-colonial Opposition Figures From Odua? by Nobody: 2:07pm On May 20, 2015
scholes0:

You will not accept what the white man says, yet you imbibed his ideas and his culture (which are basically a set of ideas) , and now practice it as if it was originally yours...
by the way, engage in a real discussion and stop asking infantile questions.

scholes biko hapum aka grin grin grin

am not the OP, i only gave my own answer and cautioned him on his insults until oduavanguard came with proofs to debunk my assertions.

he eventually went into insults and i returned it dose for dose cos he was targeting my tribe.

since you are matured and ready for discuss maturely, am good to go.

what was the pre-colonial struggle of the south westerners in Nigerian not continued by their descendants

1 Like

Re: Why Are There No Pre-colonial Opposition Figures From Odua? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 2:09pm On May 20, 2015
sigain:
Oleeeeee, go look for your own lagoon in the east if there's any and stop dreaming in another tribes belonging. south south no belong to u. counterfeit pple.

I though you people wanted us in the Lagoon? Anyway stop selling your land to us.

1 Like

Re: Why Are There No Pre-colonial Opposition Figures From Odua? by OduaVanguard: 2:11pm On May 20, 2015
aguiyi:

muppet , am not the op and pls stop been stupid. we all see how your states look when we return to ours for the yuletide so stop acting like you will suddenly jump into business and start having the experience.

one coward like you even asked in one thread how the biafrans will survive if the north and west refuse to sell food stuffs and livestocks to them. he eventually forgot that dubai imports most of are agricultural needs. he also forgot that the east and south share border with some other countries who are looking for export market desperately for their agricultural products.

any man who abandons the cause of his forbearers is either a coward or his forbearers were cowards for having a worthless cause .

which one will you and your fellow dimwits accept to be known for angry angry angry angry angry

You are a big ffool Mr. I have made my position about your desired secession from Nigeria clear. I don't give two ffucks about you or your people. You are not adding any value to me personally nor to Nigeria as a collective, IMHO. The Oil you keep blabbing about belongs to the South South peoples for the most part and the SE contribution is negligible (at best) -- at least it's not enough to raise you lot out of poverty.

Your SE is a depressing locale to inhabit as is evident in the way you all escape from that hell-hole at the slightest opportunity.

You talk about my "forbearers were cowards for having a worthless cause". That aptly describes the entire Biafra enterprise. A pipe-dream that resulted in the slaughter of an estimated 3million Igbos, who ended up losing the war, and your Ojukwu had to leave you all to your fate by absconding to the Ivory Coast (puts the 'C' in coward). My people refused to be duped into a war we weren't prepared to fight -- that was SMART -- while you all sacrificed yourselves over a WORTHLESS CAUSE. I call it worthless coz (1)it failed, (2)it failed (for emphasis) cheesy. Face it, you are nothing but a bunch of failures.

8 Likes

Re: Why Are There No Pre-colonial Opposition Figures From Odua? by iboTOTOdeySM3LL: 2:12pm On May 20, 2015
aguiyi:

WHY DID THE YORUBAS ABANDON THE STRUGGLE OR THEIR FORBEARS
the same way ojuku of cursed memory abandoned your starving biafran parents when he ran away to abidjan.

See as kwashiorkor take finish your useless mama

5 Likes

Re: Why Are There No Pre-colonial Opposition Figures From Odua? by OduaVanguard: 2:13pm On May 20, 2015
AlfaSeltzer:
This is how Alaafin of Oyo sold out and pacified his kingsmen for 200 bags of cowries.

Betrayal is in their genes!

If you call that betrayal, what do you then call Ojukwu's abandonment of his people for the safe comforts of the Ivory Coast? You people are hopeless. Period. Smh.

6 Likes

Re: Why Are There No Pre-colonial Opposition Figures From Odua? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 2:14pm On May 20, 2015
OduaVanguard:

You are a big ffool Mr. I have made my position about your desired secession from Nigeria clear. I don't give two ffucks about you or your people. You are adding any value to me personally nor to Nigeria as a collective, IMHO. The Oil you keep blabbing about belongs to the South South peoples for the most part and the SE contribution is negligible (at best) -- at least it's not enough to raise you lot out of poverty.

Your SE is a depressing locale to inhabit as is evident in the way you all escape from that hell-hole at the slightest opportunity.

You talk about my "forbearers were cowards for having a worthless cause". That aptly describe the entire Biafra enterprise. A pipe-dream that resulted in the slaughter of an estimated 3million Igbos, who ended up losing the war, and your Ojukwu had to leave you all to your fate by absconding to the Ivory Coast (puts the 'C' in coward). My people refused to be duped into a war we weren't prepared to fight -- that is SMART. While you all sacrificed yourselves for a WORTHLESS CAUSE. I call it worthless coz (1)it failed, (2)you were soundly defeated. Face it, you are nothing but a bunch of failures.

If "a bunch of failures" can get you worked up like this, you are worse than failure. Of what use is your existence if I may ask?

1 Like

Re: Why Are There No Pre-colonial Opposition Figures From Odua? by Eshinwaju: 2:14pm On May 20, 2015
a pipul with no known history or development....want to talk... cheesy..

3 Likes

Re: Why Are There No Pre-colonial Opposition Figures From Odua? by scholes0(m): 2:15pm On May 20, 2015
aguiyi:

scholes biko hapum aka grin grin grin

am not the OP, i only gave my own answer and cautioned him on his insults until oduavanguard came with proofs to debunk my assertions.

he eventually went into insults and i returned it dose for dose cos he was targeting my tribe.

since you are matured and ready for discuss maturely, am good to go.

what was the pre-colonial struggle of the south westerners in Nigerian not continued by their descendants

Okay, since you choose to show your maturity , back to your questions...
What exactly is a "struggle".... A struggle is dictated by the prevailing conditions of the time.
If the conditions change, needs follow suit, and if needs change, the definition of a "struggle" will undergo a proportional and almost instant metamorphosis .... Are you following?
The struggle of the Yoruba in Today's Nigeria is not the same as the struggle of the 1800's or 19'00s ..... that should be obvious.

So unless you are talking about something else, I believe i have adequately nourished your hunger for answers..... if at all it is genuine.

1 Like

Re: Why Are There No Pre-colonial Opposition Figures From Odua? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 2:15pm On May 20, 2015
OduaVanguard:

If you call that betrayal, what do you then call Ojukwu's abandonment of his people for the safe comforts of the Ivory Coast? You people are hopeless. Period. Smh.

Ojukwu fought a war with his own money. Alaafin sold out his people for 20 bags of cowshit.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are There No Pre-colonial Opposition Figures From Odua? by Babalegba(m): 2:15pm On May 20, 2015
WombRaiders:
The SS and SE where a bedrock of opposition figures against British occupation with the likes of Jaja of Opobo, Nana of Itsekiri and even an OBA of Bini who was deposed and sent into exile.

Why is there no such figures against British occupation from odua?

Simply because the Yoruba welcomed the British to thwart the ongoing Jihad.

It is from the cowardly South West that the British got a foothold into Nigeria from where they besieged Bini and spread their empire eastward and northward.

Yoruba your jihad is about to restart. Say allah akbar marafarkers
Clownish thread. What exactly did your forefathers agitation achieve, total and unconditional surrender.Ibos were extremely primitive in those days and lacked central leadership, a prerequisite for civilization so any agitation was purely primitive primal instinct.

6 Likes

Re: Why Are There No Pre-colonial Opposition Figures From Odua? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 2:18pm On May 20, 2015
scholes0:

What exactly is a "struggle".... A struggle is dictated by the prevailing conditions of the time.
If the conditions change, needs follow suit, and if needs change, the definition of a "struggle" will undergo a proportional and almost instant metamorphosis .... Are you following?
The struggle of the Yoruba in Today's Nigeria is not the same as the struggle of the 1800's or 19'00s ..... that should be obvious.

So unless you are talking about something else, I believe i have adequately nourished your hunger for answers..... if at all it is genuine.

I agree with the bolded but it is the same yoruba gene that is doing the struggle and the only thing it is good at is taking bribes to betray. From your alaafin in 1888 to today's turncoat SW pdp, passing through awolowo, the obas against Abiola, etc, etc.

1 Like

Re: Why Are There No Pre-colonial Opposition Figures From Odua? by iboTOTOdeySM3LL: 2:20pm On May 20, 2015
AlfaSeltzer:

Ojukwu fought a war with his own money. .
You ibos are so foolish, an ant is wiser than you all. Ojuku fought a war with his own money, he and his family were eating well and looking healthy while you foolish biafrans were begging those whom you were fighting against to give you food

4 Likes

Re: Why Are There No Pre-colonial Opposition Figures From Odua? by scholes0(m): 2:21pm On May 20, 2015
AlfaSeltzer:

I agree with the bolded but it is the same yoruba gene that is doing the struggle and the only thing it is good at is taking bribes to betray. From your alaafin in 1888 to today's turncoat SW pdp, passing through awolowo, the obas against Abiola, etc, etc.

Lol.... you are below me.....
Hence, I will not engage you in any tangible exchange of Ideas.
Re: Why Are There No Pre-colonial Opposition Figures From Odua? by scholes0(m): 2:23pm On May 20, 2015
iboTOTOdeySM3LL:
You ibos are so foolish, an ant is wiser than you all. Ojuku fought a war with his own money, he and his family were eating well and looking healthy while you foolish biafrans were begging those whom you were fighting against to give you food

looool.... How ironic
well... such is life. Sometimes The people thought to be heroes, are actually the real villains of the fold.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are There No Pre-colonial Opposition Figures From Odua? by OduaVanguard: 2:26pm On May 20, 2015
AlfaSeltzer:

Ojukwu fought a war with his own money. Alaafin sold out his people for 20 bags of cowshit.

Alaafin as paramount ruler of his people represented them by cutting a deal with the Brits, to spare them from an unnecessary war and further needless loss of lives. You call that cowardly, I call that PRAGMATIC LEADERSHIP/WISDOM! ATLEAST HE WAS FORTHRIGHT AND HONOURABLE ENOUGH TO KNOW WHEN TO STOP FIGHTING!

Ojukwu RAN AWAY!!!! He didn't even negotiate a peaceful end to the suffering of his helpless people, whom he duped into a NEEDLESS and WORTHLESS war! In the end nothing was achieved that couldn't have been achieved via negotiations. Think about it -- those 3-million souls could be alive today and living productive lives. Use your brain for once!

6 Likes

Re: Why Are There No Pre-colonial Opposition Figures From Odua? by Nobody: 2:26pm On May 20, 2015
scholes0:

are you sure it is not fear that led to this change you are talking about?.

going by your logic, your aims wear reached hence you backed down, is it wrong for those whose target is yet to be reached to keep striving ?

1 Like

Re: Why Are There No Pre-colonial Opposition Figures From Odua? by Nobody: 2:26pm On May 20, 2015
Babalegba:
Clownish thread. What exactly did your forefathers agitation achieve, total and unconditional surrender.Ibos were extremely primitive in those days and lacked central leadership, a prerequisite for civilization so any agitation was purely primitive primal instinct.

I am not ibo you slave

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are There No Pre-colonial Opposition Figures From Odua? by Nobody: 2:27pm On May 20, 2015
aguiyi:

the south west did not resist the white that much probably because they were interested in adventure or something similar. the south east hard so many autonomous communities even till date they seem to be the only ones with autonomous communities in the country. they have always been independent minded and have not stopped craving for it.

Odua is not the name of any region in Nigeria and they have never tried to make it a region.

Fool I am not ibo
Re: Why Are There No Pre-colonial Opposition Figures From Odua? by Nobody: 2:29pm On May 20, 2015
The slaves are yet to mention one pre colonial figure from their slave empire
Re: Why Are There No Pre-colonial Opposition Figures From Odua? by hahn(m): 2:30pm On May 20, 2015
OduaVanguard:

You are loser and a failure, that much I believe is obvious. You've been put to shame for being stewpid enough not to put Google to use and educate yourself adequately before embarrassing yourself by opening this thread.

You can go ffuck yourself and your "Crude Oil". Matter of fact, you can drink that worthless piece of shytt you call oil coz it won't be worth much in the near future any way. And oh, while you're at it you can also put your money where you mouth is by relocating yourself and your entire clansmen from Nigeria territory back to your cursed erosion-infested waste-land, maybe then we'll begin take you seriously. Ode oshi.

Touche!

3 Likes

Re: Why Are There No Pre-colonial Opposition Figures From Odua? by Nobody: 2:32pm On May 20, 2015
WombRaiders:

Fool I am not ibo

wake up pls, nody cares whether you are ibo or not.

stop the insults, that was my first reponse to you on this thread.
Re: Why Are There No Pre-colonial Opposition Figures From Odua? by scholes0(m): 2:32pm On May 20, 2015
aguiyi:

are you sure it is not fear that led to this change you are talking about?. Going by your logic, your aims wear reached hence you backed down, is it wrong for those whose target is yet to be reached to keep striving ?

Did you read my rebuttal at all?
Aims change, Goals change, and targets change as well..... Once upon a time, USA southern states were fighting for secession, today they are almost all fully integrated in the USA, except for a few 0.5 percenters here and there.....
Once upon a time, Maasai were the dominating culture of Southern Kenya, Today, they are fighting for cultural preservation.... hundreds of examples out there.
So unless you come out explicit and explain what exactly you are trying to get at, I will not be able to give you the reply you might need.
And what fear are you talking about exactly?

4 Likes

Re: Why Are There No Pre-colonial Opposition Figures From Odua? by after1: 2:40pm On May 20, 2015
Yeeboes and there foolishness. They will open a thread to insult other tribes and still scream "people hate us and jealous of us" Yeebhoes are cursed hypocrite.

5 Likes

Re: Why Are There No Pre-colonial Opposition Figures From Odua? by after1: 2:44pm On May 20, 2015
OduaVanguard:

You are a big ffool Mr. I have made my position about your desired secession from Nigeria clear. I don't give two ffucks about you or your people. You are not adding any value to me personally nor to Nigeria as a collective, IMHO. The Oil you keep blabbing about belongs to the South South peoples for the most part and the SE contribution is negligible (at best) -- at least it's not enough to raise you lot out of poverty.

You talk about my "forbearers were cowards for having a worthless cause". That aptly describes the entire Biafra enterprise. A pipe-dream that resulted in the slaughter of an estimated 3million Igbos, who ended up losing the war, and your Ojukwu had to leave you all to your fate by absconding to the Ivory Coast (puts the 'C' in coward). My people refused to be duped into a war we weren't prepared to fight -- that was SMART -- while you all sacrificed yourselves over a WORTHLESS CAUSE. I call it worthless coz (1)it failed, (2)it failed (for emphasis) cheesy. Face it, you are nothing but a bunch of failures.

Yeeboes are trouble makers. They will scream to the mod soon, people from that worthless tribe are hypocrites.
Re: Why Are There No Pre-colonial Opposition Figures From Odua? by ayokellany: 3:06pm On May 20, 2015
aguiyi:

any man who abandons the cause of his forbearers is either a coward or his forbearers were cowards for having a worthless cause .

which one will you and your fellow dimwits accept to be known for angry angry angry angry angry

Just the your father with each n every Igbo that's a father who abandoned the starvation n death the retard of a general Ojukwu put your entire trip through by leading your tribemen to their doom without having the initiative to make adequate provision for food. What a foolishh set of human n race.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are There No Pre-colonial Opposition Figures From Odua? by Nobody: 3:14pm On May 20, 2015
aguiyi:

wake up pls, nody cares whether you are ibo or not.

stop the insults, that was my first reponse to you on this thread.

Shatap and give me a single name

Now that was my real intention

Slave
Re: Why Are There No Pre-colonial Opposition Figures From Odua? by Nobody: 3:15pm On May 20, 2015
ayokellany:

Just the your father with each n every Igbo that's a father who abandoned the starvation n death the retard of a general Ojukwu put your entire trip through by leading your tribemen to their doom without having the initiative to make adequate provision for food. What a foolishh set of human n race.

Mention one pre colonial figure coward slave
Re: Why Are There No Pre-colonial Opposition Figures From Odua? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 3:37pm On May 20, 2015
OduaVanguard:

Alaafin as paramount ruler of his people represented them by cutting a deal with the Brits, to spare them from an unnecessary war and further needless loss of lives. You call that cowardly, I call that PRAGMATIC LEADERSHIP/WISDOM! ATLEAST HE WAS FORTHRIGHT AND HONOURABLE ENOUGH TO KNOW WHEN TO STOP FIGHTING!

Ojukwu RAN AWAY!!!! He didn't even negotiate a peaceful end to the suffering of his helpless people, whom he duped into a NEEDLESS and WORTHLESS war! In the end nothing was achieved that couldn't have been achieved via negotiations. Think about it -- those 3-million souls could be alive today and living productive lives. Use your brain for once!

Pragmatic wisdom to you guys is surrendering without firing a single bullet as soon you saw Hausa soldiers.

Governor Carter was not the man to leave his work half done. The refractory and irreconcilable Ijebus had been subjeugated; the Egbas had submitted and their apologies accepted. He now proceeded to the further interior to put an end to the protracted war, fraught with so much evil to the country. The measure adopted for this purpose was the only one capable of dispersing suchfierce combatants, viz., an armed intervention advocated for by the writer all through these wearisome years. Although it might not be necessary to pull a trigger, yet a display of force offered a far more convincing weight of argument than volumes of treaties, faultless though these may be in aim and purpose. The presence of the Governor himself gave additional weight and importance to the Mission. Governor Carter left Lagos on the 3rd January 1893, for his tour. He was accompanied by a posse of Hausa soldiers, with Captain Bower, one of the officers who came out for the Ijebu war. The Maxim gun was en evidence throughout the whole way.

Samuel Johnson, History of the Yorubas, 1921

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

They Said Virgin Mary Appeared In Kaduna (photo) / Breaking: Court Of Appeal Expels Senator Ighoyota Amori Of The PDP / Breaking News: Why I May Soon Quit APC – Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.