Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,788 members, 7,817,276 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:16 AM

Inec, PDP Disenfranchised Me - Yinka Olaofe, UPN Ogun Assembly Candidate (pics) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Inec, PDP Disenfranchised Me - Yinka Olaofe, UPN Ogun Assembly Candidate (pics) (1035 Views)

Ondo People Dancing And Jubilating As Court Declares Jegede PDP Candidate (PICS) / APC House Of Assembly Candidate Killed / My Distasteful Experience With Nyesom Wike (PDP Rivers Guber Candidate)- Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Inec, PDP Disenfranchised Me - Yinka Olaofe, UPN Ogun Assembly Candidate (pics) by PerfectFortune: 1:53pm On May 20, 2015
Metro-TimesNG

The general elections conducted on March 28th and April 11th 2015 was adjudged to be free and fair by many observers. The United States of America’s president, Barack Obama also commended the INEC Chairman, Prof. Attahiru Jega for his outstanding and sterling performance during the elections saying what the professor of political science had done deserves emulation by all.

In a sharp contrast, the Unity Party of Nigeria (UPN) Ogun-state House of Assembly candidate for Yewa-South/Egbado constituency Mr. Dolapo Olayinka Olaofe has alleged his deliberate disenfranchisement by INEC to favour the PDP in the April 11th general elections.

In an exclusive interview with Metro-TimesNG at his residence in Ago-Eyo, Owo, Oke-Odan ward, Yewa-South, Abeokuta, Ogun-state, Yinka Olaofe expressed dissatisfaction over the deliberate removal of his name from the list of candidates contesting in the elections describing it (the election) as a sham.

May we meet you?

My name is Dolapo Olayinka Olaofe. I contested under the platform of the Unity Party of Nigeria (UPN) in the just concluded general elections for Yewa-South/Egbado-South, Ogun-state.

The last election was adjudged by many to be one of the freest and fairest in Nigeria’s history. America’s president, Barack Obama also commended the INEC boss, Prof. Jega for doing the magic. Do you share the same view with this set of people?

By Nigeria’s standard; by our past or pseudo-election standards, the 2015 election has much to praise but it will be overrating it to say it is free and fair. I mean, what are the criteria used in arriving at those conclusions? For instance in my own case, I realized late in the day (April 11th) that my name was not on the list of candidates that are supposed to contest in the election even though my party’s name and logo was on the ballot paper and I was duly voted for. There are so many issues here and there and we still have a lot to do terms of our electoral reforms. So, as far as I am concerned, the election was far from being free and fair.

You said your name was omitted from the list of contestants, why was that?

My name was omitted and it is a deliberate attempt to disenfranchise me in other to favour the PDP candidate. How else do you explain the fact that my party’s logo was printed on the ballot paper and I was voted en-masse but my votes were voided by INEC who refused to count all votes casted for me and UPN saying my name was not on the list of contestants? When I went to their (INEC) office in Ogun-state, I was told the mistake is from Abuja. INEC collaborated with PDP to steal my mandate and disenfranchise the good people of my constituency and am determined to get it back through the court.

Do you think your party UPN might have played a role in the entire scenario?

No….I honestly disagree with that because my party did all necessary things expected of it. We had our forms filled and submitted, we had our clearance on the 25th of December, 2014…….so I will not blame my party on this one.

How popular do you think you are when it comes to Ogun-state politics?

I am indeed very very popular and I believe that if my name was not “omitted” and the votes were counted I would have gotten more votes than the declared winner…….by that I mean I would have won the election.

How far are you willing to go with this case?

I am willing to go the extra mile; doing the right thing to ensure that justice is served. The case is at the tribunal at the moment and God willing we will get a date for the hearing very soon. Mandate belongs to the people and we cannot allow the electoral umpire to take it away from them.

What prompted your decision to go into politics?

I felt it is time to get directly involved in politics so I can bring about the desired change in Ogun-state. We cannot continue to sit on the fence and watch things go bad while we complain. I mean, it is our duty to serve our people and that prompted my decision to go into politics. It is about service for me.

http://metrotimesngr..com/2015/05/inec-collaborated-with-pdp-to.html

Re: Inec, PDP Disenfranchised Me - Yinka Olaofe, UPN Ogun Assembly Candidate (pics) by BubbleFire: 5:48pm On May 20, 2015
Politicians and mandate

PDP is synonymous to fraud. They colluded with INEC to stop him from contesting. I hope you will be able to get your mandate back.

There is hope for a possible re-run I guess

1 Like

Re: Inec, PDP Disenfranchised Me - Yinka Olaofe, UPN Ogun Assembly Candidate (pics) by PerfectFortune: 5:57pm On May 20, 2015
BubbleFire:
Politicians and mandate

PDP is synonymous to fraud. They colluded with INEC to stop him from contesting. I hope you will be able to get your mandate back.

There is hope for a possible re-run I guess

Lol...PDP can steal anything stealable.

I understand the Hon's plight. Having spent a lot of money campaiging and canvassing only to be denied the right to be voted for by INEC.

If he has enough evidence to back his claim, they may have a re-run

1 Like

Re: Inec, PDP Disenfranchised Me - Yinka Olaofe, UPN Ogun Assembly Candidate (pics) by BubbleFire: 6:01pm On May 20, 2015
PerfectFortune:

Lol...PDP can steal anything stealable.

I understand the Hon's plight. Having spent a lot of money campaiging and canvassing only to be denied the right to be voted for by INEC.

If he has enough evidence to back his claim, they may have a re-run

I don't trust Naija tribunals. The man must be ready to spend money and must be patient as well. Let's wait and see the outcome.
Re: Inec, PDP Disenfranchised Me - Yinka Olaofe, UPN Ogun Assembly Candidate (pics) by LamLam15: 9:59pm On May 21, 2015
This can only happen in Nigeria. It is cheap to run a political campaign and after everything INEC had the guts to say he cannot be voted for.

He should do everything needful to get it back o. We must not allow impunity to continue to rain in this country.

(1) (Reply)

I Donate To My Good People Of Osun State / Governor El Rufai Of Kaduna To Introduce Green Cabs In The State / Atiku's Son React To Dangote's Claim Of Not Owning A House Outside Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.