Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,074 members, 7,818,215 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:30 AM

Speakership: I’m Not Tinubu’s Candidate, Says Gbajabiamila - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Speakership: I’m Not Tinubu’s Candidate, Says Gbajabiamila (11661 Views)

FFK: El-Rufai Didn't Oppose Muslim-Muslim APC Ticket, Wanted Fashola Not Tinubu / PDP Convention: Adeyanju Not My Candidate, Says Idris Wada / Tambuwal Betrayed Me, Says Gbajabiamila (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Speakership: I’m Not Tinubu’s Candidate, Says Gbajabiamila by jidoex66(m): 6:57am On May 21, 2015
The Minority Leader of the House of Representatives, Mr. Femi Gbajabiamila, denied on Wednesday that he was the candidate of National leader of the All Progressives Congress, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, for the speakership of the 8th Assembly.

Gbajabiamila, who is one of the leading contestants for the number four job, spoke in Abuja as he met with Peoples Democratic Party members-elect in continuation of his campaign for the position.

Other contenders include Chairman, Committee on House Services, Mr. Yakubu Dogara; Chairman, Committee on Agriculture, Mr. Mohammed Monguno; Chairman, Committee on Finance, Mr. Abdulmumini Jibrin; and Mr. Pally Iriase.

However, the race has lately narrowed down to Gbajabiamila and Dogara, seen as the front runners.

Speaking specifically on being Tinubu’s candidate, the Lagos lawmaker said he was often surprised when he heard or read about such insinuation.

He stated that, having led the opposition for eight years in the House, he wondered how people came about the idea that he did not have the capacity to lead the House unless he relied on Tinubu to make a case for him.

However, he admitted that prominent Nigerians, including the Emir of Kano, Lamido Sanusi, had pleaded with Tinubu to support him, but that he did not give them any answer until a few weeks back when the APC leader said “ maybe this man (Gbajabiamila) has some appeal.”

He spoke more, “I have led the opposition for the past eight years with the best of my ability. I have faced a lot of threats and intimidation to life right from the time of (Olusegun) Obasanjo up to about two weeks ago.

“The way I stick my neck for the opposition, I seek to do same for Nigeria as speaker. I want this campaign to be about issues and hoped it would be that way, but I heard a lot of many negative stories. I tried to maintain dignified silence, but I want to set the record straight now.

“I intend to be speaker not for anbody. Asiwaju Ahmed Bola Tinubu has not hand in it. Lamido Sanusi left his palace in Kano and pleadd with him to support me. He didn’t get a clear answer.

“Shortly after that, Senator Lawan Shuaibu went to Tinubu on the same issue. He still did not respond until when few weeks ago, Nasiru El-Rufai went to meet him, then he said maybe this man has some appeal.

“In 2011, some members from the North went to him to suggest that I should be Tambuwal’s deputy, but he said no to that.”

Gbajabiamila also spoke on how some lawmakers were demanding to be chairmen of particular committees as a condition for supporting him.

He alleged that such members were among the people going about town saying that he was Tinubu’s candidate.

He assured the PDP members that allocation of committees would be based on fairness, justice and quality.

The House Deputy Leader, Mr. Leo Ogor, who led the delegation, said the PDP members would go back and study his campaign promises to see how the caucus would key in into his agenda.

http://www.punchng.com/news/speakership-im-not-tinubus-candidate-says-gbajabiamila/

2 Likes

Re: Speakership: I’m Not Tinubu’s Candidate, Says Gbajabiamila by DickDastardly(m): 7:06am On May 21, 2015
Do you need to tell us?

2 Likes

Re: Speakership: I’m Not Tinubu’s Candidate, Says Gbajabiamila by Nobody: 7:08am On May 21, 2015
gbajabiamila deserves to be the speaker of the HORs for all his inputs to the APC. The man is a fearless politician who will always stand with the truth even in the face of impunity or threat to his life.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Speakership: I’m Not Tinubu’s Candidate, Says Gbajabiamila by alberto2k(m): 7:08am On May 21, 2015
Mtcheeew. . . . Liar Mohammad angry
Re: Speakership: I’m Not Tinubu’s Candidate, Says Gbajabiamila by oladele97: 7:16am On May 21, 2015
guy u and I knows Tinubu supported u to be the rep in surulere years ago, how can u come with this brutal lie
u are his candidate and no one is condemning u for that

14 Likes

Re: Speakership: I’m Not Tinubu’s Candidate, Says Gbajabiamila by Nobody: 7:19am On May 21, 2015
oladele97:
guy u and I knows Tinubu supported u to be the rep in surulere years ago, how can u come with this brutal lie

Same way Ambode denied the Oba's assertion even when it's glaring in the eyes of all. Is there anything wrong being the Jagaban candidate?

https://www.nairaland.com/2327502/convert-airtime-mtn-cash-20

6 Likes

Re: Speakership: I’m Not Tinubu’s Candidate, Says Gbajabiamila by Alphaoscar: 7:30am On May 21, 2015
oladele97:

They all have one godfather or more behind them so I don't understand the reason for singling him out of others.

Maybe because his own godfather is stronger than his opponents godfather.

3 Likes

Re: Speakership: I’m Not Tinubu’s Candidate, Says Gbajabiamila by Nobody: 7:33am On May 21, 2015
Keep on lying @ that your age, who doent know that you say your Good Morning @ Bourdillon daily

2 Likes

Re: Speakership: I’m Not Tinubu’s Candidate, Says Gbajabiamila by Sweetcollins: 7:59am On May 21, 2015
Who cares
Re: Speakership: I’m Not Tinubu’s Candidate, Says Gbajabiamila by Nobody: 7:59am On May 21, 2015
This guy name sef... If I dey call am the thing dey sound like trailer wey dey fall on top keke napep grin

2 Likes

Re: Speakership: I’m Not Tinubu’s Candidate, Says Gbajabiamila by ichidodo: 7:59am On May 21, 2015
He must think us buffons to believe this crap but you must understand his need to do away with thieffnubu's influence at this point given his antecedents playing opposition and denying the South west Speakership years back.Since the chicken is about to roost,we expect him to go down fighting insteading of whining like a b**tch.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Speakership: I’m Not Tinubu’s Candidate, Says Gbajabiamila by kingstylo01(m): 7:59am On May 21, 2015
I love Naija politics eh! cheesy

TODAY: them say..
TOMMORROW: no be them say o!
NEXT TOMMORROW: you see, na them say..

1 Like

Re: Speakership: I’m Not Tinubu’s Candidate, Says Gbajabiamila by jaybee3(m): 7:59am On May 21, 2015
Does it really matter?
Endorsement is only relevant if you are deemed sound and capable
Re: Speakership: I’m Not Tinubu’s Candidate, Says Gbajabiamila by callmeSwit(m): 7:59am On May 21, 2015
shey oro niyen?
Re: Speakership: I’m Not Tinubu’s Candidate, Says Gbajabiamila by folabayo1(f): 8:00am On May 21, 2015
Did anyone take him for tinubu's candidate? Mshew lipsrsealed
Re: Speakership: I’m Not Tinubu’s Candidate, Says Gbajabiamila by ultrazone(m): 8:00am On May 21, 2015
ss
Re: Speakership: I’m Not Tinubu’s Candidate, Says Gbajabiamila by Nobody: 8:01am On May 21, 2015
IF YOU LIKE DENY Tinubu,DOGARA WOULD BE LECTED SPEAKER.THE PDP REPS FROM THE LOWER NIGERWOULD TEAM UP WITH THEIR APC COUNTERPARTS FROM THE NORTH TO ACHIEVE THAT

4 Likes

Re: Speakership: I’m Not Tinubu’s Candidate, Says Gbajabiamila by Atmmachine(m): 8:01am On May 21, 2015
Who wants to be a candidate to an international drug lord ??

2 Likes

Re: Speakership: I’m Not Tinubu’s Candidate, Says Gbajabiamila by loomer: 8:02am On May 21, 2015
I beg, wetn be the meaning of the man name?

2 Likes

Re: Speakership: I’m Not Tinubu’s Candidate, Says Gbajabiamila by Emmahunk(m): 8:02am On May 21, 2015
Too early for noise making
Re: Speakership: I’m Not Tinubu’s Candidate, Says Gbajabiamila by hypertension(m): 8:02am On May 21, 2015
nonsense..
who is tinibu..
all these yoruba people thinking they are God of nigerian politic..
im waitin when the northerners wil deal with u..
any senate presidency to south south..
OR ELSE?

4 Likes

Re: Speakership: I’m Not Tinubu’s Candidate, Says Gbajabiamila by Edwardhead(m): 8:02am On May 21, 2015
Even if you are, you have that experienced to be Speaker
Re: Speakership: I’m Not Tinubu’s Candidate, Says Gbajabiamila by akinola107(m): 8:02am On May 21, 2015
hoo-kay
Re: Speakership: I’m Not Tinubu’s Candidate, Says Gbajabiamila by datola: 8:03am On May 21, 2015
Gbajabiamila deserves to be speaker
He has got the intellectual capacity and being no man's puppet including Tinubu because this is the first I have heard an APC man saying he doesn't give damn about Tinubu.

2 Likes

Re: Speakership: I’m Not Tinubu’s Candidate, Says Gbajabiamila by tiamiyukunle69(m): 8:03am On May 21, 2015
Whatever.....time will tell if you are his candidate or not
Re: Speakership: I’m Not Tinubu’s Candidate, Says Gbajabiamila by uwa1(m): 8:03am On May 21, 2015
Must u tell us
Re: Speakership: I’m Not Tinubu’s Candidate, Says Gbajabiamila by lwsfd: 8:03am On May 21, 2015
Tell them
Re: Speakership: I’m Not Tinubu’s Candidate, Says Gbajabiamila by VISTIN(m): 8:03am On May 21, 2015
Our concern is for whoever emerges to have the interest of Nigerian masses in mind
Re: Speakership: I’m Not Tinubu’s Candidate, Says Gbajabiamila by dotna(m): 8:04am On May 21, 2015
Political score

(1) (2) (Reply)

Profile Of Jafiya Lydia Shehu, Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) Member / ICC May Issue Warrant On Boko-Haram / El-Rufai Presenting 2017 Budget At The Kaduna State Assembly (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.