Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,615 members, 7,809,252 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:47 AM

10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs (42867 Views)

What Are Those Superstitious Beliefs You Once Believed In While Growing Up? / What Do You Think About Superstitious Beliefs? / 10 Silly Nigerian's Beliefs You've Heard/Belive (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by chisom18: 6:08pm On May 21, 2015
every culture including western ave their own urban mytjs or legend that would prolly scare the living shiiii out of anybody.take bloody mary for edample or the putting of pic n cat bone in a box n buried at a crossroads to summon a demon (oritameta) asin just lu all those sacrifice we see at roundabouts....crazy
Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by superfelix: 6:18pm On May 21, 2015
LoL grin .. No.3
Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by kissniyi(m): 6:18pm On May 21, 2015
Na 7 hilarious pass and na him one dumb pass grin
Remembered wen I was small. Wen nepa wud take light, I will begin shouting "ON d lantern"
A male voice will juz yell from his room (dad)
MY FRIEND DON'T YOU KNOW THE ROAD TO YOUR MOUTH smiley
Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by BadBullet(m): 6:19pm On May 21, 2015
Dont bend down while eating or else the food will cum out of your anus undecided
Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by DONOCHAS(m): 6:25pm On May 21, 2015
adepiero:
Its only in 9ja when an elder falls as a result of your hinderance, you have to kill seven cows before the elder can stand on his/her feet
he dnt wnt 2 get up or maybe cow de hungry am.
Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by Nobody: 6:41pm On May 21, 2015
MissIndependent:
Lool the topic should have been "Superstitious beliefs in Benin".
why Benin?
Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by Beface(m): 6:55pm On May 21, 2015
If you eat fish eyes (OJU EJA) you will have a dull brain (OLODU). Òlòdu ràpàtá òju éjà lò mà jé.
Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by ebizswit(f): 7:01pm On May 21, 2015
if u eat inside d pot, heavy rain will fall on ur wedding day....smh#
Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by adexmuhyi(m): 7:06pm On May 21, 2015
sonOfLucifer:
That A jewish carpenter died for my sins and his father needs 10% of my income every month.

Btw, he is his Father who is himself and sent his spirit to impregnate a14year old lady bethroted to someone else.

But dem write am for Bible, so na true.

Really sounds absurd and also hilarious

1 Like

Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by onlyson16(m): 7:34pm On May 21, 2015
ebubey:
Superstition is the belief in supernatural causality that one event causes another without any natural process linking the two events.
Here is a list of 10 superstitions chosen based on how ridiculous, widespread and comical they are:
1. Hitting your left leg on a stone is seen as an evil omen or warning to turn back from where ever the person might be going. This omen is taken seriously and the journey is usually forfeited for the future. Failure to heed the warning could lead to possibly loss of life.
2. Don’t drink the water from a coconut else you automatically become an olodo.
3. It is not a good idea to whistle at night. There is this belief that such whistling attracts snakes to the whistler.
4. Don’t allow people to crossover your hand or leg,else you will give birth to a child with one hand or leg.
5. Owls hooting on a rooftop or on a nearby tree is a bad omen as it is believed that someone in that house will soon die.
6. If your hands are itching without reason, it is believed that some kind of fortune is about to come your way.
7.Eating in the dark is forbidden. It is believed that such act could give room to the dead to eat with you and this could lead to your death or grave ailments.
8. If you spit on the floor and someone steps on it you will have sore throat.
9. Don’t bend over and look through your legs in public, you may see witches.
10. Hitting a man with a broom would make him impotent. It is believed that if a man is hit with a broom he becomes impotent until he retaliates by hitting the person back with a broom seven times.
OP UR RICE MY BOTHER
Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by askari01: 7:51pm On May 21, 2015
If you pee in the river, heavy rain is gonna fall on ur wedding day... ironoa

ebubey:
Superstition is the belief in supernatural
causality that one event causes another
without any natural process linking the two
events.

Here is a list of 10 superstitions chosen based
on how ridiculous, widespread and comical
they are:

1. Hitting your left leg on a stone is seen as
an evil omen or warning to turn back from
where ever the person might be going. This
omen is taken seriously and the journey is
usually forfeited for the future. Failure to
heed the warning could lead to possibly loss
of life.

2. Don’t drink the water from a coconut else
you automatically become an olodo.

3. It is not a good idea to whistle at night.
There is this belief that such whistling
attracts snakes to the whistler.

4. Don’t allow people to crossover your hand
or leg,else you will give birth to a child with
one hand or leg.

5. Owls hooting on a rooftop or on a nearby
tree is a bad omen as it is believed that
someone in that house will soon die.

6. If your hands are itching without reason, it
is believed that some kind of fortune is about
to come your way.

7.Eating in the dark is forbidden. It is believed
that such act could give room to the dead to
eat with you and this could lead to your death
or grave ailments.

8. If you spit on the floor and someone
steps on it you will have sore throat.

9. Don’t bend over and look through your legs
in public, you may see witches.

10. Hitting a man with a broom would make
him impotent. It is believed that if a man is
hit with a broom he becomes impotent until
he retaliates by hitting the person back with a
broom seven times.

1 Like

Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by KMB: 7:55pm On May 21, 2015
Itchy feet means you are travelling

Black butterflies or moths means you are about to have guests.

Ringing ears means someone is talking about you
Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by FlySly05: 7:56pm On May 21, 2015
bushdoc9919:

What exactly is civilization?

I am not a troll...i am serious.

You my brother are a troll in its purest form. grin
Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by doreenvee(f): 8:12pm On May 21, 2015
If a pregnant woman sees a masquerade, she will give birth to an ugly baby wearing masquerade's costumes.

If a young child bends and looks backward between his or her legs , he or she is calling his or her unborn siblings and the mum would soon be pregnant.

If u accidentally kill a cat or dog- bad omen.

If vultures don't attend your ceremony, u have a big problem.

If you wear a white overall outside in the night, ghost will follow u.

If you break firewood on Sunday , the moon will descend and ascend with you to the sky.

If you sweep the compound from the bush or road to the house instead of sweeping from your house to the bush or wherever,u r inviting evil spirits.

If you plant maize without eating, it will bring forth empty comb.

If you hear your name and u answer to it without seeing the person that called u, u have answered a ghost's call.

If you drop a mirror in the market and look at it, u will see ghosts walking in the air.

If you carry a stone on your head or someone knocks your head, u will not grow taller than the way u are.

If you swallow any fruit seed, it will grow on your head.

If your food falls on the ground, don't eat it again because Satan has touched it.

If a lizard swallows your shed milk tooth, no other tooth will grow and replace it.

# the list is endless#

1 Like

Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by whitestar01(m): 8:22pm On May 21, 2015
That When u snize someone is calling ur name
Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by adexmuhyi(m): 8:28pm On May 21, 2015
But i know of one superstition which has always come to pass anytime it is done...just VOTE TOMMOROW FOR SUBBIE D AS MISS NAIRALAND 2015 and watch as anytin corruption fades away in ur life coz of that one honest thing u jst did
Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by netmillionaires(m): 8:42pm On May 21, 2015
Most ot those superstittions are not really superstitions. They are just a way of frighten children so that they stop doing bad things. You no say little children no dey hear word. If u no frighten them dem no go stop.
When people say if someone step on ur spit u ll have sore throat. It is just to make a child clean up his spit or stop spitting everywhere altogether.
When they say,' if u beat someone with a broom, his pen1s will shrink'. It is because broom in d hand of children is a dangerous weapon. They can mistakingly blind themselves with it.
Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by sochima1989(m): 8:53pm On May 21, 2015
bushdoc9919:

What exactly is civilization?

I am not a troll...i am serious.
civilisation is some white men coming into our country to tell us we are archaic, naïve and barbaric.....civilization is exploiting our resources, making us slaves through colonialism and neo-colonialism, civilisation is making us depend on their failed but called modern ways of life. Civilisation is modern slavery..
Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by Holmes07(m): 8:55pm On May 21, 2015
delishpot:
Dont look in the mirror at night you may see a ghost.
In the night
Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by oluwasegun007(m): 8:55pm On May 21, 2015
Not all are superstition....d fact dat d west doesn't support it make it untrue, some are 'Ancient wisdom'....#NEOcolonialism

1 Like

Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by Nobody: 8:55pm On May 21, 2015
ebubey:
Superstition is the belief in supernatural
causality that one event causes another
without any natural process linking the two
events.

Here is a list of 10 superstitions chosen based
on how ridiculous, widespread and comical
they are:

1. Hitting your left leg on a stone is seen as
an evil omen or warning to turn back from
where ever the person might be going. This
omen is taken seriously and the journey is
usually forfeited for the future. Failure to
heed the warning could lead to possibly loss
of life.

2. Don’t drink the water from a coconut else
you automatically become an olodo.

3. It is not a good idea to whistle at night.
There is this belief that such whistling
attracts snakes to the whistler.

4. Don’t allow people to crossover your hand
or leg,else you will give birth to a child with
one hand or leg.

5. Owls hooting on a rooftop or on a nearby
tree is a bad omen as it is believed that
someone in that house will soon die.

6. If your hands are itching without reason, it
is believed that some kind of fortune is about
to come your way.

7.Eating in the dark is forbidden. It is believed
that such act could give room to the dead to
eat with you and this could lead to your death
or grave ailments.

8. If you spit on the floor and someone
steps on it you will have sore throat.

9. Don’t bend over and look through your legs
in public, you may see witches.

10. Hitting a man with a broom would make
him impotent. It is believed that if a man is
hit with a broom he becomes impotent until
he retaliates by hitting the person back with a
broom seven times.
No6 is real. Always get itchy palm whenever I'm about to receive money. There's no scientific explanation for it nd it not coincidence
Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by Graccccccccy(f): 8:58pm On May 21, 2015
When i ws much younga, was fond f No. 2 dat after drinkin wud immediately recite A-Z...lol.. Den wud smile and say "Shey olodo can recite ABC ni"
Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by sochima1989(m): 9:01pm On May 21, 2015
sonOfLucifer:
That A jewish carpenter died for my sins and his father needs 10% of my income every month.

Btw, he is his Father who is himself and sent his spirit to impregnate a14year old lady bethroted to someone else.

But dem write am for Bible, so na true.

you and this your father ehn........... Show me a son who doesn't why his father act as such but follows Him: I will show u a young man still searching for a father....you don't know lucifer a bit......so stop the publicity
Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by Nobody: 9:27pm On May 21, 2015
Lagusta:
I hear say if you eat mango with garri you go die.... undecided

Abeg shey na true.... embarassed

Because the food dey hungry me well a cheesy
I tried it unconsciously and hours lata, I started vomiting...didn't know wah was wrong wiv me buh am alive today...halleluyahgrin
Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by kipesco(m): 10:02pm On May 21, 2015
Lagusta:
I hear say if you eat mango with garri you go die.... undecided

Abeg shey na true.... embarassed

Because the food dey hungry me well a cheesy

Try am na experiment. If e kill u, let us know if e no kill u make we no too.
Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by lomprico(m): 10:17pm On May 21, 2015
adaybayor:

You be coward oo
Dumb!

1 Like

Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by adaybayor(m): 10:48pm On May 21, 2015
lomprico:

Dumb!

I bet sarcasm aint your strong point
Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by Shegricho: 10:58pm On May 21, 2015
India beat Nigeria 99-1:
Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by Timijo(m): 11:30pm On May 21, 2015
Another superstition is that tokunbo things are better than new ones.
Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by Ben1975(m): 4:30am On May 22, 2015

grandstar:
I am from Ondo Town.

It is a bad omen for a dog to dig the ground here. I know of two dogs that were gotten rid of (probably eaten as Ondo's eat dog grin grin grin grin grin)
Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by lordtim001(m): 7:13am On May 22, 2015
Dat one of coconut,if i child no knw anytin,no be coconut head dem go call am grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ooni Of Ife And Oluwo Of Iwo Clash At Traditional Rulers’ Council Meeting / What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area / Masquerade In Imo Takes A Selfie With Iphone6 Plus (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.