Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,730 members, 7,955,766 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 02:36 PM

10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs (43428 Views)

What Are Those Superstitious Beliefs You Once Believed In While Growing Up? / What Do You Think About Superstitious Beliefs? / 10 Silly Nigerian's Beliefs You've Heard/Belive (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by hensben(m): 4:27pm On May 21, 2015
-Never finger puss..y with your right hand else you begin to experience spasm.

- when someone is rinsing his/her hand don't place yours under, he will be collecting your blessings if you do so.

- dig a hole and urinate inside if you bed wet.

- if one eat in the dream it's a bad sign in reality.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by Jambsupport(f): 4:28pm On May 21, 2015
BTT:

A pregnant woman must attach a pin to her clothing when going out in the afternoon to avoid birthing an Ogbanje...

Lol
Lol. Like seriously?

1 Like

Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by isan(m): 4:30pm On May 21, 2015
Don't stand at the entrance of yur house when thunder is striking or else the house will collapsecheesy
Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by Nobody: 4:30pm On May 21, 2015
Texasquare:

YOU DONT HAVE DICTIONARY AHBI? undecided
YOU DONT HAVE DICTIONARY AHBI?

Earlier this morning...someone put up pictures of King Jaja's wives on this forum...and several Nigerians looked at them disdainfully. Some were thankful for civilization..which prompted the question from me.

Now...we have alist of superstitious beliefs....and some people are saying the same thing.

I think the problem I have is that civilization is not a permanent thing...and is not necessarily the white man's civilization.I am not saying we should go back to archaic practices....but what I am saying is....what you are giving thanks for today will look archaic in a hundred years from now.

The Ancient Romans built a lot of structures which have lasted centuries. They were ''civilized'' indeed. They also practiced slavery and infant exposure.

Today's Western civilization has brought great benefits. It also brought us things like Eugenics, and weapons of mass destruction that have killed and maimed millions.

African civilizations built great structures and monuments....and also practiced slavery and a host of other ''barbaric'' pracitices.

But back then...it was civilized. It was indeed civilization.

I think your problem is that you put too much trust in human progress...without keeping track of what goes on in human hearts.

The funny thing is that what we consider civilized behaviour today may be archaic and barbaric in the future. Keep that in mind.

And please you really really did not need to be so rude. I asked a philosophical question. I did not come to make crass comments...as I clearly indicated.

God bless.

12 Likes

Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by Mbediogu(m): 4:30pm On May 21, 2015
BTT:

A pregnant woman must attach a pin to her clothing when going out in the afternoon to avoid birthing an Ogbanje...

Lol

Dont wash plates inmediately after a meal. The food will not nourish your body.

1 Like

Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by blacq2009(m): 4:30pm On May 21, 2015
ebubey:
Superstition is the belief in supernatural
causality that one event causes another
without any natural process linking the two
events.

Here is a list of 10 superstitions chosen based
on how ridiculous, widespread and comical
they are:

1. Hitting your left leg on a stone is seen as
an evil omen or warning to turn back from
where ever the person might be going. This
omen is taken seriously and the journey is

Comical superstitions? This why this generation is wiping away at this alarming rate.
usually forfeited for the future. Failure to
heed the warning could lead to possibly loss
of life.

2. Don’t drink the water from a coconut else
you automatically become an olodo.

3. It is not a good idea to whistle at night.
There is this belief that such whistling
attracts snakes to the whistler.

4. Don’t allow people to crossover your hand
or leg,else you will give birth to a child with
one hand or leg.

5. Owls hooting on a rooftop or on a nearby
tree is a bad omen as it is believed that
someone in that house will soon die.

6. If your hands are itching without reason, it
is believed that some kind of fortune is about
to come your way.

7.Eating in the dark is forbidden. It is believed
that such act could give room to the dead to
eat with you and this could lead to your death
or grave ailments.

8. If you spit on the floor and someone
steps on it you will have sore throat.

9. Don’t bend over and look through your legs
in public, you may see witches.

10. Hitting a man with a broom would make
him impotent. It is believed that if a man is
hit with a broom he becomes impotent until
he retaliates by hitting the person back with a
broom seven times.
Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by mattonnairaland: 4:33pm On May 21, 2015
Even till now people still believe these trash.
Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by smartprodigy: 4:34pm On May 21, 2015
adepiero:
Its only in 9ja when an elder falls as a result of your hinderance, you have to kill seven cows before the elder can stand on his/her feet
Oya na make him dey ground dey wait cow
Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by LeSulk(m): 4:36pm On May 21, 2015
I don't think having superstitious beliefs is primitive as some ppl on this thread think.In the West,they have superstitious 'taboos' like walking under a ladder,breaking glass/mirror etc
Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by LeSulk(m): 4:37pm On May 21, 2015
I don't think having superstitious beliefs is primitive as some ppl on this thread think.In the West,they have superstitious 'taboos' like walking under a ladder,breaking glass/mirror etc.Superstitious beliefs differ from place to place and does not limit to our society
Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by mirob(f): 4:38pm On May 21, 2015
Surprisingly, No. 1 and 6 works for me, whenever I hit my left leg on something while going to somewhere, that journey always turned futile, also whenever my right palm is scratching me I will always get money, I mean all the time so to me they really work.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by olaglamour(f): 4:39pm On May 21, 2015
efilefun:
Most of this stuffs are just to instill discipline in us and also to caution us, a kid could get injured while trying to drink water from the coconut. Someone eating in the dark could mistakenly swallow those stubborn fish bones and flogging someone with broom doesn't look nice cuz definitely you will have to remove broken broom sticks from your skin after the whipping.. Spitting about aint hygienic at all and that "superstition" actually helped a lot. Bending over could send blood straight to the brain and you know what can happen after that.......
I support you, I saw one book like that states the origin of the superstitions.
But seriously, they really help.
Imagine, someone eating at door step, dirt's can easily enter it
Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by eleko1: 4:44pm On May 21, 2015
sad undecided undecided Nah everyday ur own offer they closes soon?
ogarsm202:
Do you want to become a professional web developer and make social websites like
Facebook Learn it now in just 2 weeks!
Visit this link and start learning for FREE! >>
http://tulzmast2321..com/ Hurry Now!
Offer Closes Soon!
make the offer close now biko sad grin wink undecided

1 Like

Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by delors(m): 4:52pm On May 21, 2015
No 6 kinda tends to be true...it happens almost all the time.
Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by Nobody: 4:54pm On May 21, 2015
Hitting a man with broom? Which culture in Naija believes in that one...
Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by caprini1: 4:56pm On May 21, 2015
A woman must not eat the gizzard and anus of a chicken when slaughtered and cooked,its only for the head of the family....its an abomination in my village,lol!
Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by ivili(m): 4:57pm On May 21, 2015
Lagusta:
I hear say if you eat mango with garri you go die.... undecided

Abeg shey na true.... embarassed

Because the food dey hungry me well a cheesy
I tried it twice in front of my friends and both times they were waiting for me to drop dead,lol.I do believe that rumor was spread to alter the price of mango and garri at the time.
Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by lordprosh(m): 4:59pm On May 21, 2015
Lagusta:
I hear say if you eat mango with garri you go die.... undecided

Abeg shey na true.... embarassed

Because the food dey hungry me well a cheesy

Well tat is not superstition.. Its very tru nd its science eating an UNRIPE mango and GARRI is a deadly combination... Both will end up as a very strong acid in ur system nd will KILL you if proper care is not given

1 Like

Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by maspero22(m): 5:05pm On May 21, 2015
If u pour eleganza biro ink onto a stagnant water, mami water will come out...lol

2 Likes

Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by LasoulMacuby(m): 5:05pm On May 21, 2015
That No 9 is real.
I witnessed it at Karmo in Abuja during their Tuesday market. Two Gbagi boys were arguing about it and the other bent down and looked between his legs
Baba, it looked like film tricks but I saw magic that day, the guy just fell down and his neck turned sideways. He couldn't talk. Just laid down like a slowpoke. People had to carry him to one native healer.
No 9, I no go ever try am. If u like believe it or go to a market Square and try it

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by SeverusSnape(m): 5:07pm On May 21, 2015
RichDad1:
Japanese Cars are the Best. angry angry angry angry
#Ironla

German cars all the way... cheesy

1 Like

Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by lordprosh(m): 5:08pm On May 21, 2015
hensben:
-Never finger puss..y with your right hand else you begin to experience spasm.

- when someone is rinsing his/her hand don't place your hand under, he will be collecting your blessings if you do so.

- dig a hole and urinate inside if you bed wet.

- if one eat in the dream it's a bad sign in reality.

Actually eating in the dream is a very bad thing..
Am talking from experience tr was a time I use to eat in the dream for 4years I was trying to achieve sometin wish I couldn't I had to seek help... Bro I prayed nd fast ehn... The eating in d dream stop nd I got wat I was striving for for four years last year..

Also av seen nd heard terrible tinx happen to pple after eating in the dream.. Its also same with avin sex in the dream *not wet dreams oo*

1 Like

Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by SeverusSnape(m): 5:08pm On May 21, 2015
efilefun:
Most of this stuffs are just to instill discipline in us and also to caution us, a kid could get injured while trying to drink water from the coconut. Someone eating in the dark could mistakenly swallow those stubborn fish bones and flogging someone with broom doesn't look nice cuz definitely you will have to remove broken broom sticks from your skin after the whipping.. Spitting about aint hygienic at all and that "superstition" actually helped a lot. Bending over could send blood straight to the brain and you know what can happen after that.......
Bros, So you have sense like this?... Or my eyes are deceiving me.
Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by Nobody: 5:09pm On May 21, 2015
adaybayor:

You be coward oo
waz wrong with wat he just said...quick to insult...na wa o
Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by SeverusSnape(m): 5:12pm On May 21, 2015
bushdoc9919:

Earlier this morning...someone put up pictures of King Jaja's wives on this forum...and several Nigerians looked at them disdainfully. Some were thankful for civilization..which prompted the question from me.

Now...we have alist of superstitious beliefs....and some people are saying the same thing.

I think the problem I have is that civilization is not a permanent thing...and is not necessarily the white man's civilization.I am not saying we should go back to archaic practices....but what I am saying is....what you are giving thanks for today will look archaic in a hundred years from now.

The Ancient Romans built a lot of structures which have lasted centuries. They were ''civilized'' indeed. They also practiced slavery and infant exposure.

Today's Western civilization has brought great benefits. It also brought us things like Eugenics, and weapons of mass destruction that have killed and maimed millions.

African civilizations built great structures and monuments....and also practiced slavery and a host of other ''barbaric'' pracitices.

But back then...it was civilized. It was indeed civilization.

I think your problem is that you put too much trust in human progress...without keeping track of what goes on in human hearts.

The funny thing is that what we consider civilized behaviour today may be archaic and barbaric in the future. Keep that in mind.

And please you really really did not need to be so rude. I asked a philosophical question. I did not come to make crass comments...as I clearly indicated.

God bless.
Sir, you're an epitome of intelligence, A rare gem. You're one Nairalander I hold in high esteem...kudos!

1 Like

Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by efilefun(m): 5:16pm On May 21, 2015
SeverusSnape:

Bros, So you have sense like this?... Or my eyes are deceiving me.
You need serious deliverance....lmao sure you've been reading most of my posts with biased mind
Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by dmedalion25: 5:18pm On May 21, 2015
Nice Tablet Below grin

Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by panpan(m): 5:24pm On May 21, 2015
ebubey:

What I was told was that if you look between your legs in a public place such as a market, you would notice that the feet of non-living persons do not touch the ground.

Even though I was not told of any negative effect of looking between my legs in public, I have not yet tried it.
Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by datjukunboi(m): 5:39pm On May 21, 2015
ITbomb:
Not for me

Can anyone tell me the real deal behind not allowing a girl to sleep on the outside of the bed?
Anything superstitious?

I went to visit a friend, the gf told me he has been vexed, he came back while she was sleeping and he woke her to shift for him. She sleepily told him to enter the other side of the bed and sleep and then wahala started.
I tink its all an alpha male ego issue. Just as is expected of a younger person to sleep on the inside of d bed. I remember back then when I was growing up dat wen u eat in group, its d eldest dat washes his hands first, picks d meat or shares it among u, and u're not allowed to wash ur hands before him after eating even when u're satisfied and he's still eating. #timeshavechanged # boiz are men
Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by Ephemmm: 5:50pm On May 21, 2015
'If your hands are itching without reason, it
to come your way'

No wonder, na stone I dey even use to scratch my hands nowadays: God I dey hail ooo....
Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by yusufbida(m): 5:52pm On May 21, 2015
ebubey:
Superstition is the belief in supernatural
causality that one event causes another
without any natural process linking the two
events.

Here is a list of 10 superstitions chosen based
on how ridiculous, widespread and comical
they are:

1. Hitting your left leg on a stone is seen as
an evil omen or warning to turn back from
where ever the person might be going. This
omen is taken seriously and the journey is
usually forfeited for the future. Failure to
heed the warning could lead to possibly loss
of life.

2. Don’t drink the water from a coconut else
you automatically become an olodo.

3. It is not a good idea to whistle at night.
There is this belief that such whistling
attracts snakes to the whistler.

4. Don’t allow people to crossover your hand
or leg,else you will give birth to a child with
one hand or leg.

5. Owls hooting on a rooftop or on a nearby
tree is a bad omen as it is believed that
someone in that house will soon die.

6. If your hands are itching without reason, it
to come your way.

7.Eating in the dark is forbidden. It is believed
that such act could give room to the dead to
eat with you and this could lead to your death
or grave ailments.

8. If you spit on the floor and someone
steps on it you will have sore throat.

10. Hitting a man with a broom would make
him impotent. It is believed that if a man is
hit with a broom he becomes impotent until
he retaliates by hitting the person back with and
broom seven times.

Ur write-up sound YORUBALISTIC

All d 10point above are mostly used and believed in yoruba land wia I come from.

Thank God for Civilisation

Omo for sure no dey carry last again.
Re: 10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs by chisom18: 5:54pm On May 21, 2015
BOWOTO:
Thank God for civilization.
Every xulture even westernhave their own urban myths and legends that would scare the living shhhh out of you...take bloody mary for example.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Oba Saheed Ademola Elegushi Of Ikate Land Marries A Second Wife / Nigeria Most Influential Monarch / CARNIVAL CALABAR 2012: Post Your Pictures!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.