Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,698 members, 7,820,434 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:45 PM

How To Win At Interviews - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Win At Interviews (1291 Views)

How DND Made Me Miss So Many Interviews / Issues With Birth Certificate At Interviews / How To Create The Confidence That Will Help You Succeed At Interviews (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Win At Interviews by OkunrinMeta: 9:32am On May 21, 2015

How to Win at Interviews

Interviews can be very scary for a lot of us, especially for the fresh graduate. Entering into the already saturated labor market to search for jobs can be very scary. Getting an interview is hard enough, but when you do, you may find yourself completely confused about how to prepare and what to expect. We have listed here a few tips and tricks to doing well in interviews. If follow the blueprint set out below, you can be sure to excel in interviews even if you are completely freaked out, scared or afraid of Interviews.

We will provide answers to important questions like:

How do I succeed at Interviews?
How do I prepare for Interviews?
What are the top/ frequent interview Questions?

Preparation is Key:
You probably already know this, but we cannot really emphasize it enough. You need to know as much as you can about the company you are going for interview in. Back in the days, I was once asked who the Chairman of the Board was in an interview I went for and I didn’t know the answer. In fact, I practically failed every question including industry specific questions.
To avoid such embarrassments, learn the name of the important officers in the company you want to interview with, be familiar with news regarding the company, learn a few things about the industry they are in, etc. Learn! Learn!! Learn!!! Even if you don’t end up getting the Job, the knowledge acquired will not leave you and it might come in handy in the future.

Dress the Part:
I once had a friend that wore a dirty shirt to an interview. Funny enough, it wasn’t obvious that the shirt was dirty but the knowledge he had that the shirt wasn’t clean made him self-conscious, so he started acting like a fish out of water.
You need to invest in good clothes and shoes if you want to get serious in your Job search, Yes, we know you may not have much money as a fresh graduate but you just have to have at least one decent interview wear. Get one at all cost! Dress well and smell nice, make sure you feel good about yourself by making sure your outfit is well cleaned and ironed. It’s a really good confidence boost.

Google Common Interview Questions: Many employers are not very creative in their interview questions, so you find a few questions repeated in your interview experiences. You should actually practice answering questions like “Tell me about yourself”, “what are your career aspirations?”, “What are your weaknesses?” etc. I mean practice like actually reciting the answers to yourself if you have to. This will help you overcome interview tension or fright that paralyses many fresh graduates.

Relax:
This is probably the most important point. You need to learn to relax in interviews, fear makes many people end up putting up a woeful performance that does not represent their abilities. Fear paralyses you and sentences you to making stupid blunders and acting all childish. Your employer wants to have a professional not a shy little boy. If you are not the confident type, you need to start developing the required confidence to face and succeed at Interviews. When it comes to the subject of confidence during interviews, a friend of mine has a quote I love so much: “Fake it until you make it!”. This means you should pretend you are confident until you are actually confident. If you think about it it should make sense to you too.

If you are a fresh graduate, you can see more articles that are written to guide you through the process of job seeking at our blog
Source:
http://www.freshgraduatetrainee..com
Modified
Re: How To Win At Interviews by OkunrinMeta: 11:26am On May 21, 2015
I look forward to reading your comments. Don't be silent....
Re: How To Win At Interviews by obinna2nv(m): 3:21pm On May 21, 2015
Nice Write ups brother, I must say I've learnt a lot reading this. More grease to your elbow!!
Re: How To Win At Interviews by LaurelP(m): 3:48pm On May 21, 2015
The need to be confident cannot be over-stressed.
Re: How To Win At Interviews by Nobody: 5:15pm On May 21, 2015
space booked. Beware of my son Kabiru - Omo ale jati jati. angry
Re: How To Win At Interviews by OkunrinMeta: 8:55pm On May 21, 2015
obinna2nv:

Nice Write ups brother, I must say I've learnt a lot reading this. More grease to your elbow!!

Thanks bro, happy i could help in some little way. best of luck at your next interview.
Re: How To Win At Interviews by OkunrinMeta: 8:57pm On May 21, 2015
LaurelP:
The need to be confident cannot be over-stressed.
You are absolutely correct!
Re: How To Win At Interviews by OkunrinMeta: 8:59pm On May 21, 2015
FriedPlantain:
space booked. Beware of my son Kabiru - Omo ale jati jati. angry
lol Shey kabiru don dey nairaland ni?

1 Like

Re: How To Win At Interviews by Venom104: 8:52pm On May 23, 2015
OkunrinMeta:

You are absolutely correct!

Really it is.. I have my first interview in a few days and i am already terrified

(1) (Reply)

Admin Assistants / Vacancy In Lagos For The Post Of An Architect. / Current Vacancies At Diageo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.