Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,181 members, 7,953,647 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 09:43 PM

Lending Money To Friends Who Hardly Pay Back: how to get your money back - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Lending Money To Friends Who Hardly Pay Back: how to get your money back (20866 Views)

Explaining The New Bank Charges, Lending And Deposit Rates Announced By The CBN / CBN Reduces Lending Rate To 11 Percent / Cash Shortage Hits Banks, Overnight Lending Rate Jumps (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lending Money To Friends Who Hardly Pay Back: how to get your money back by denitro(m): 9:27pm On May 26, 2015
Chinese Proverb:
Never lend money to a friend. You will end up losing both.

2 Likes

Re: Lending Money To Friends Who Hardly Pay Back: how to get your money back by MissIndependent(f): 9:27pm On May 26, 2015
Debtors can be so annoying ...two people are owing me right now the first one is since October last year na me do myself o babe asked for an amount because of the pity I had on her, I gave her more than what she asked to pay back my money now na wahala the funny thing is that she keeps quiet about it pretending nothing happened until I ask. She will keep telling me to send my account number I have sent it many times. I have already made up my mind to forget it. The issue strained our relationship the last time she called, 11missed calls I didn't even pick wetin she wan discuss? Rubbish!!! If she like make she no pay dats her fucking business I have tines 50 of that amount ...the other debtor a guy really bleeped up with all him shakara and ego, I can't believe he couldn't pay me back the small change he is owing me since February lool they all make me laugh. I have vowed never to lend anyone money if you like, crawl cry or beg me I no dey give you lool...

I wonder how they sleep knowing fully well that they are owing someone..honestly my mind is not always at rest when I owe someone no matter how small...I remember when I needed money to do something last year I borrowed 5k from someone in one week I paid back 7k to the person...it would have been nice if the debtors come back to say reasons why they can't pay back on time not keeping silent on the issue its very annoying.

1 Like

Re: Lending Money To Friends Who Hardly Pay Back: how to get your money back by MissIndependent(f): 9:42pm On May 26, 2015
Another rule is this: "Never lend money to anyone who have no means/source of income". Jobless peeps take note!!!

1 Like

Re: Lending Money To Friends Who Hardly Pay Back: how to get your money back by nerodenero: 9:48pm On May 26, 2015
Thats the way to gogrin
Luckygurl:

Very true, I learnt it from Mum.
Don't give it out if you can't bear the thought of not getting it back otherwise a firm no will suffice smiley smiley
Re: Lending Money To Friends Who Hardly Pay Back: how to get your money back by franklingud(m): 9:53pm On May 26, 2015
I have friends that owe me lotta cash buh till now they've not paid back... some for 10 yrs, some 12 yrs.. what man gwan do bouy?
Re: Lending Money To Friends Who Hardly Pay Back: how to get your money back by AnnieBeyonce(f): 10:36pm On May 26, 2015
missKiffy:
My own opinion is never to borrow anybody money, what you should rather do is to give, if for instance someone wants to borrow 50,000, Jst give d person about 5k or 10k or more if you can and let the person know you are giving him and not borrowing him and source for the rest. Rather than borrowing him and he will be giving you stories
nice one

1 Like

Re: Lending Money To Friends Who Hardly Pay Back: how to get your money back by AnnieBeyonce(f): 10:42pm On May 26, 2015
I really do not like asking for d money back..i feel I'm embarrassing them, which I don't like...but not wen its a huge sum sha wink
Re: Lending Money To Friends Who Hardly Pay Back: how to get your money back by valicious1(m): 11:16pm On May 26, 2015
nkemdi89:
Have lend friends money in the past and they have refused to pay me, there is one of our 5 yrs 25k till now na story it got to a stage he stopped picking my calls. One thing have learnt lend only your colleagues in the office so that if the person refuses you table the issue officially, even if the person dies the death benefit can provide your moneyand have a written document incase, even before I give I will warn you that am shirlock who is ready to cut a pound of flesh.
Girl sincerely speaking I just viewed your profile pic and I must say you are the UGLIEST looking creature I've ever seen in my life. Please kindly remove/delete that monster pics you put there inform of display pic. Thanks.
Re: Lending Money To Friends Who Hardly Pay Back: how to get your money back by Mzflexydeeva(f): 1:09am On May 27, 2015
That reminds me. I am a victim. Borrowed some1 Money(23,000) for over a year & d person stopped talking to me. I was bothered initially but on 2nd tot I decided to forget it since nothing was working @ getting it back but I just said: let's hope the day you really need life saving favour it does not backfire. Lending money is easy paying back well impossible. So these day if I give out money it's a 50/50 risk. If u pay, fine! If you don't fine..wetin God don take bless me nobody fit take am and wen I feel bad about it, I just tell myself it's a way to help the less privileged in our society

1 Like

Re: Lending Money To Friends Who Hardly Pay Back: how to get your money back by chax100(f): 1:13am On May 27, 2015
denitro:
Chinese Proverb:
Never lend money to a friend. You will end up losing both.
ee

That proverb is mean, if I can't lend a friend, who else would I? A friend in need is a friend indeed. That help could just be their saving grace. Money come and go, don't get it twisted. Givers never lack. God will surely reward every kind gesture.

2 Likes

Re: Lending Money To Friends Who Hardly Pay Back: how to get your money back by tsmall(m): 1:53am On May 27, 2015
pheyhi:
this is ma situation gat lotta pple owing me buh m nt d kind of person to ask pple for d money wen its due

do u think i avent tried all dose methods buh when they come ma resistance just fails

lord i need help ASAP
You aren't the kind of person that ask people for your own money o when its due, abi? OK the the lord is your strength.
Re: Lending Money To Friends Who Hardly Pay Back: how to get your money back by pinkshell(f): 1:58am On May 27, 2015
Hun?
Plz can we be frıends? #shınesTeeth!
ProfyJay:
In my opinion...any money borrowed to my friend is like a dash

Your relationship is more important than the money.

1 Like

Re: Lending Money To Friends Who Hardly Pay Back: how to get your money back by Goodnuel: 7:57am On May 27, 2015
Ekpekus:

Exactly my thought grin
cheesy cheesy
Re: Lending Money To Friends Who Hardly Pay Back: how to get your money back by obiak4(m): 8:02am On May 27, 2015
justirich:
A friend recently complained about a colleague who cried that his wife was going into labour and needed a loan of N100, 000 with a promise to repay by the end of the month. One year down the line and the stories keep changing. In fact, the matter has threatened to ruin their relationship with my friend considering taking the matter to the human resource department of the company.
How often do you find yourself in a position where you lend money to a friend or family and never get it back? They approach you with cries of desperation and promise to pay back after a specified period only to come up with stories when its time to repayment time. I get approached too and often fall victim. I have learnt from being a victim and often use the following tips to avoid falling again.

1. Number one rule is to remember it is easier to borrow and lend than to return after lending.
If you have this at the back of your mind all the time then your default response will always be a NO. But there are cases that require compassion too. When they arise your adamant nature will warrant that you reverse the notion by making it difficult to lend and easier to refund after lending.

2. Create a barrier by introducing third parties to the transaction.
People who borrow money or seek your money for investment always come with compelling and convincing tales. They are also very much in a hurry to get the money from you giving you the impression that all hell is about to let loose if you don’t act quickly. The problem however is that, when it comes to getting your money back, that urgency is suddenly transformed into pestering. So for those who are vulnerable to sweet talks, one way of deal with a suitor is to refer him or her to a third party. Tell your borrower you understand the situation and want to genuinely help but your lawyer or accountant has to work out the details. That way someone else who is neutral and less biased is suddenly the decision maker in all of this. Whilst in real terms the final decision lies with you, a third party may help you see other risks that you may have missed and also put the borrower under pressure to convince another person.

3. Ask for a guarantee or security.
Just as above, to make it difficult for the suitor or borrower, give them conditions that must be fulfilled before you part with your money. For example, ask for a collateral or a guarantee from a recognised cleric. You will be shocked that even a common request for an application letter can often be difficult for a borrower to produce which in no small measure sends them away naturally. A borrower who doesn’t show seriousness to meet this conditions will more often that not break their promise to refund.

4. Confirm as reasonably as you can proof of need for the money.
This can be difficult and not applicable in some cases but if applied it can help avoid any incidence of fraud or default. For example, if they come to you for money to finance a Local Purchase Order, simply ask for a copy of the LPO. If they do not have it then don’t give and if they do, ensure that it is the borrower’s name that is on it and not a third party.

5. Obtain quasi security documents like post dated cheques.
Most loans to friends and family hardly get covered by collateral. However, you can still request for other documents such as post dated cheques, promissory notes etc. While they are subordinate to registered collateral such as land, they can be quite useful in terms of settlement. A bounced cheque for example is an offence punishable by law. A serial borrower who issues a dud cheque is therefore at risk of going to jail which serves as a good deterrent.

6. Keep in touch regularly and pester where necessary.
Most of us make the mistake of not keeping in touch with our debtors. Because they are friends we hesitate to bring up the issue even when we are constantly in touch. Finance experts advise that we continue to pester and remind our debtors that they owe us. This creates a lingering sense of responsibility, which can only help you recover your money.

7. Never lend to a previous defaulter.
Once beaten twice shy. Ironically borrowers are often shameless and will not think twice about coming back to you again for another loan. If the borrower is someone who never repays or takes time to then you may do yourself a lot of good by not lending to them again no matter the circumstance.

8. If you are soft hearted then only lend what you can afford to let go.
Some of us are very vulnerable to bad debts because we are just too compassionate to say no. However, being compassionate does not mean we loose all sense of responsibility. If you are compassionate then just lend what you can afford to let go.

#WiseUp my goodhearted people

http://www.punchng.com/business/am-business/lending-money-to-friends-who-hardly-pay-back-2/
have learn't it d hard way borrowed a friend 100k till date na story story
Re: Lending Money To Friends Who Hardly Pay Back: how to get your money back by obiak4(m): 8:12am On May 27, 2015
Funny enough i just borrowed someone although he is a friend last week 10k and today again 15k a family man sha
just expecting he pay as @ when due?
Sometimes it not easy to see a friend or relation suffer and you have the money to help.
Some of you here are just saying trash except probably if you like money pass person life
Re: Lending Money To Friends Who Hardly Pay Back: how to get your money back by nkemdi89(f): 11:00am On May 27, 2015
valicious1:

Girl sincerely speaking I just viewed your profile pic and I must say you are the UGLIEST looking creature I've ever seen in my life. Please kindly remove/delete that monster pics you put there inform of display pic. Thanks.
Insulting me does it add any revenue to your pocket? Or do you think am the type that you can deter with your meaningless comment? Sorry please mind how you approach people on social forum, I believe am more matured than you that I won't trade insults with you. Make a constructive criticism and be matured about your approach. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Lending Money To Friends Who Hardly Pay Back: how to get your money back by Truman155(m): 11:05am On May 27, 2015
hahn:

Exactly.

Another way is, when you notice the person doesn't want to pay, don't mention about it for a while probably 2-5months. Humans tend to forget their mistakes and you can take advantage by asking for a loan of the same amount.

When the person asks you to pay back, you can remind hin/her of their previous debt
you are the best

1 Like

Re: Lending Money To Friends Who Hardly Pay Back: how to get your money back by Nobody: 11:15am On May 27, 2015
nkemdi89:

Insulting me does it add any revenue to your pocket? Or do you think am the type that you can deter with your meaningless comment? Sorry please mind how you approach people on social forum, I believe am more matured than you that I won't trade insults with you. Make a constructive criticism and be matured about your approach. Thanks.
he's immature. pls ignore that fool

1 Like

Re: Lending Money To Friends Who Hardly Pay Back: how to get your money back by nkemdi89(f): 12:02pm On May 27, 2015
justirich:
he's immature. pls ignore that fool
Thanks bro I will.
Re: Lending Money To Friends Who Hardly Pay Back: how to get your money back by cocaineaddict(m): 12:41pm On May 27, 2015
nkemdi89:

Jokes apart, you are not good looking. Ugly might be an extreme word but you are nt good looking
Re: Lending Money To Friends Who Hardly Pay Back: how to get your money back by pheyhi(f): 1:46pm On May 27, 2015
cocaineaddict:

Jokes apart, you are not good looking. Ugly might be an extreme word but you are nt good looking

hehen so everybody was born to b extra ordinarily beautiful why are u all so vain?
pls not fair u guys r all gonna av kids smeday

3 Likes

Re: Lending Money To Friends Who Hardly Pay Back: how to get your money back by tunday4real(m): 2:04pm On May 27, 2015
One of my business partner was owning me 2.5m for more than a year. I petitioned the commissioner of lagos for investigation. Sars are working, less than 72hrs they got him arrested on Friday, and he paid on Tuesday. So my advice goto Sars for ikeja and your money will be retrieved.
N. B. Ready to spend also. Thanks
Re: Lending Money To Friends Who Hardly Pay Back: how to get your money back by BobUg28(m): 2:59pm On May 27, 2015
I don't see borrowing money to people as a problem cos I have a personal strategy which I usually apply when I want to retrieve my money.
Re: Lending Money To Friends Who Hardly Pay Back: how to get your money back by BobUg28(m): 3:00pm On May 27, 2015
tunday4real:
One of my business partner was owning me 2.5m for more than a year. I petitioned the commissioner of lagos for investigation. Sars are working, less than 72hrs they got him arrested on Friday, and he paid on Tuesday. So my advice goto Sars for ikeja and your money will be retrieved.
N. B. Ready to spend also. Thanks
Lol...

Has it gotten to that extend?
Re: Lending Money To Friends Who Hardly Pay Back: how to get your money back by cocaineaddict(m): 7:47pm On May 27, 2015
pheyhi:

hehen so everybody was born to b extra ordinarily beautiful why are u all so vain?
pls not fair u guys r all gonna av kids smeday

Lol!! Lovely pic you got here dear, keep up the natural look. cheesy
Re: Lending Money To Friends Who Hardly Pay Back: how to get your money back by Chinum: 10:10am On Jun 06, 2015
@ lalasticlala, sorry for mentioning u here, but u closed the other thread so I didn't hv anyother choice.

Abeg no vex again, I was only trying to air my discontentment & not provoke you. Even this thread was created after I did mine. But it's all good. Afterall you can't be everywhere @d same time.

Now bye & don't vex again.
Re: Lending Money To Friends Who Hardly Pay Back: how to get your money back by Adesiji77: 1:42pm On Oct 03, 2015
justirich:
A friend recently complained about a colleague who cried that his wife was going into labour and needed a loan of N100, 000 with a promise to repay by the end of the month. One year down the line and the stories keep changing. In fact, the matter has threatened to ruin their relationship with my friend considering taking the matter to the human resource department of the company.
How often do you find yourself in a position where you lend money to a friend or family and never get it back? They approach you with cries of desperation and promise to pay back after a specified period only to come up with stories when its time to repayment time. I get approached too and often fall victim. I have learnt from being a victim and often use the following tips to avoid falling again.

1. Number one rule is to remember it is easier to borrow and lend than to return after lending.
If you have this at the back of your mind all the time then your default response will always be a NO. But there are cases that require compassion too. When they arise your adamant nature will warrant that you reverse the notion by making it difficult to lend and easier to refund after lending.

2. Create a barrier by introducing third parties to the transaction.
People who borrow money or seek your money for investment always come with compelling and convincing tales. They are also very much in a hurry to get the money from you giving you the impression that all hell is about to let loose if you don’t act quickly. The problem however is that, when it comes to getting your money back, that urgency is suddenly transformed into pestering. So for those who are vulnerable to sweet talks, one way of deal with a suitor is to refer him or her to a third party. Tell your borrower you understand the situation and want to genuinely help but your lawyer or accountant has to work out the details. That way someone else who is neutral and less biased is suddenly the decision maker in all of this. Whilst in real terms the final decision lies with you, a third party may help you see other risks that you may have missed and also put the borrower under pressure to convince another person.

3. Ask for a guarantee or security.
Just as above, to make it difficult for the suitor or borrower, give them conditions that must be fulfilled before you part with your money. For example, ask for a collateral or a guarantee from a recognised cleric. You will be shocked that even a common request for an application letter can often be difficult for a borrower to produce which in no small measure sends them away naturally. A borrower who doesn’t show seriousness to meet this conditions will more often that not break their promise to refund.

4. Confirm as reasonably as you can proof of need for the money.
This can be difficult and not applicable in some cases but if applied it can help avoid any incidence of fraud or default. For example, if they come to you for money to finance a Local Purchase Order, simply ask for a copy of the LPO. If they do not have it then don’t give and if they do, ensure that it is the borrower’s name that is on it and not a third party.

5. Obtain quasi security documents like post dated cheques.
Most loans to friends and family hardly get covered by collateral. However, you can still request for other documents such as post dated cheques, promissory notes etc. While they are subordinate to registered collateral such as land, they can be quite useful in terms of settlement. A bounced cheque for example is an offence punishable by law. A serial borrower who issues a dud cheque is therefore at risk of going to jail which serves as a good deterrent.

6. Keep in touch regularly and pester where necessary.
Most of us make the mistake of not keeping in touch with our debtors. Because they are friends we hesitate to bring up the issue even when we are constantly in touch. Finance experts advise that we continue to pester and remind our debtors that they owe us. This creates a lingering sense of responsibility, which can only help you recover your money.

7. Never lend to a previous defaulter.
Once beaten twice shy. Ironically borrowers are often shameless and will not think twice about coming back to you again for another loan. If the borrower is someone who never repays or takes time to then you may do yourself a lot of good by not lending to them again no matter the circumstance.

8. If you are soft hearted then only lend what you can afford to let go.
Some of us are very vulnerable to bad debts because we are just too compassionate to say no. However, being compassionate does not mean we loose all sense of responsibility. If you are compassionate then just lend what you can afford to let go.

#WiseUp my goodhearted people

http://www.punchng.com/business/am-business/lending-money-to-friends-who-hardly-pay-back-2/
Re: Lending Money To Friends Who Hardly Pay Back: how to get your money back by ediaro: 2:26am On Apr 10, 2018
True, lending people money sometimes can be doubting. Infact, it's often said that don't borrow people what you can't dash them, but in reality it's not possible. Below are ideas you can make your debtors pay:
http://www.ediarosms.com/resource/case-studies/overdue-invoice-sample-sms-payment-reminders/
Re: Lending Money To Friends Who Hardly Pay Back: how to get your money back by yellowgarri2(m): 10:00am On Apr 21, 2023
hahn:

Exactly.

Another way is, when you notice the person doesn't want to pay, don't mention about it for a while probably 2-5months. Humans tend to forget their mistakes and you can take advantage by asking for a loan of the same amount.

When the person asks you to pay back, you can remind hin/her of their previous debt
This can only work on a debtor that has and refuses to pay, not on a debtor that doesn't have. The same debtor will still come back to borrow more. Just give what you can dash out

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste / Naira Tumbles To 980/Dollar, FX Shortage Worsens / Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.