Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,208 members, 7,822,074 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:41 AM

Go To The Netherlands Or Remain In Nigeria? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Go To The Netherlands Or Remain In Nigeria? (10337 Views)

7 Reasons Why You Should Remain In Nigeria / Students Coming To The Netherlands-things You Should Know / For Nigerian Illegals In The Netherlands, It Is A Tough And Risky Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Go To The Netherlands Or Remain In Nigeria? by megastu(m): 11:36am On Feb 12, 2009
Fellow Nairalanders, i need your candid opinion and also if it were you, what would you do.

A new policy just came out that allows people who have masters degree or PHD from holland to be able to get a residence permit and then move to holland to find work or become self-employed. Now i have been issued with a visa to go to holland to apply for the residence permit. The issue now is; do i leave my job in Nigeria and take my family to holland? i am still contemplating. ADVISE.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Go To The Netherlands Or Remain In Nigeria? by mikkyangel(m): 4:08pm On Feb 12, 2009
Megatsu,
please i want you to throw more light on what you just said, the resident permit you talked about is it TEMPORARY RESIDENCE PERMIT OR PERMANENT RESIDENT PERMIT?
If its permernet, men i would have advised you to move to holland for better opportunities, but then it depends on alot of factos:

1) your persent job in nigeria,are you comfortable with?

2) you need to be sure about the job you intend to do when you get to holland,which implies my saying that "have you gotten a job"?

3)Permanent residency(EU CITIZENRY) nor easy to get,if indeed it is PR and not TR,MEN if i were you i go enter holland.

*IF indeed what you just said is true,men na him be say i go look for school to holland aply go oh, Permanent residency nor be garri,i no people who are willing to pay 5000euros on contract marriage just to get it,it happening before my very eyes here in central europe.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Go To The Netherlands Or Remain In Nigeria? by josek: 5:29pm On Feb 12, 2009
hello,please can you tell me the procedures and the link.
thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Go To The Netherlands Or Remain In Nigeria? by funkybaby(f): 5:30pm On Feb 12, 2009
@poster

Can you speak Dutch or whatever language apart from English that is spoken there?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Go To The Netherlands Or Remain In Nigeria? by jacq(f): 7:19pm On Feb 12, 2009
where u heard this about staying permit ? shocked

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Go To The Netherlands Or Remain In Nigeria? by megastu(m): 1:50pm On Mar 23, 2009
It is called Hogopleiden. Its actually just a temporary permit for one year, where you are expected to find a job within that year or start an "innovative" business, or leave holland.

Anyway, i think i have made up my  mind to stay back in Nigeria.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Go To The Netherlands Or Remain In Nigeria? by adexchamp(m): 4:28pm On Mar 23, 2009
megastu:

It is called Hogopleiden. Its actually just a temporary permit for one year, where you are expected to find a job within that year or start an "innovative" business, or leave holland.

Anyway, i think i have made up my mind to stay back in Nigeria.

GOOD CHOICE, NAIJA GO BETTER SOON

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Go To The Netherlands Or Remain In Nigeria? by brownbonno(m): 4:34pm On Mar 23, 2009
Admission Scheme for Highly Educated Persons effective as of 1 January 2009
News report | 31-12-2008

In anticipation of the implementation of the new migration system, a new Admission Scheme for Highly Educated Persons will be introduced as of 1 January 2009. Pursuant to this scheme, highly-educated foreign nationals who have attained at least a Master's degree can obtain a residence permit with a maximum term of 1 year in the Netherlands in order to find a job as a highly-skilled migrant or to start an innovative company. This scheme can ensure that foreign exceptional talents (who currently do not yet come to the Netherlands, but who can create economical added value for the Netherlands) are more easily admitted to the Netherlands.

Which persons qualify for this scheme?
The foreign nationals who qualify for this scheme are those who are entering the country from abroad, and who have completed a course at a university listed in the top 150 of two internationally recognised rankings. This concerns top 150 universities in rankings as published in the Times Higher Education Supplement and by Jiao Tong Shanghai University in 2007.
In addition, foreign nationals who have completed a Master's degree at a recognised institution for higher education or who have received their Ph.D from a Dutch institution for higher education also qualify for this scheme. All the above-mentioned highly-educated persons will be able to make use of this scheme until three years after the date of their graduation.

The points system
In addition to the requirement regarding the attainment of a Master's degree at one of the above-mentioned educational institutions, the foreign national will also be assessed on the basis of a points system. This system will be used to assess the level of education, age and performance indicators for success in the Netherlands. The highly-educated person will qualify for a residence permit if he scores at least 35 out of 40 points. A Master's degree will allow the foreign national to attain 25 points and a Ph.D will allow him to attain 30 points. Another 5 points are awarded if the foreign national is between the ages of 21 and 40. Another additional 5 points are awarded if the highly-educated person has previously worked or studied in the Netherlands, speaks Dutch or English, or has obtained his diploma in a country that is party to the Bologna Declaration.
Highly-educated persons who wish to make use of this scheme will not be assessed as regards their means of existence. Making use of public funds during the 1 year term of the residence permit (the so-called orientation year) may have consequences for this residence right. If the highly-educated person wishes to bring his family members to the Netherlands as well, the regular requirements regarding family reunification (including sufficient means of existence) will apply.

Highly-skilled Migrant Scheme
The foreign national can look for a job as a highly-skilled migrant in the Netherlands during his residence on the basis of the Admission Scheme for Highly Educated Persons. In this case, the employer will have to have been admitted to the Highly-skilled Migrant Scheme with the IND. The lowered income requirement in order to be considered a highly-skilled migrant then also applies to the highly-educated person. As soon as the highly-educated person has found a job making him eligible for highly-skilled migrant status, i.e. within a term of at most 1 year, he can convert the one-year residence permit into a residence permit as a highly-skilled migrant. The highly-educated person may also start an innovative company in the Netherlands within the orientation year. If he has succeeded within one year, he may request conversion of the residence permit into a residence permit to work on a self-employed basis. The requirements set in this respect do have to be satisfied.

Work permit
Foreign nationals who are awarded a residence permit pursuant to the Admission Scheme for Highly Educated Migrants are permitted to work as an employee during this orientation year if their employer has obtained a Work permit. Their family members are also permitted to work as employees if the employer has obtained a Work permit. The labour market position of the family members will change when the highly-educated person achieves the status of highly-skilled migrant or that of self-employed person. They will be completely free to seek employment as they see fit.

http://www.ind.nl/en/inbedrijf/actueel/Met_ingang_van_1_januari_2009_toelatingsregeling_voor_hoogopgeleiden.asp

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Go To The Netherlands Or Remain In Nigeria? by Pataki: 10:22pm On Mar 23, 2009
@ megastu,

Spreekt u nederlands? Where did you school in Amsterdam? There are international job offers mostly in the Hague and Amsterdam.

I love the Netherlands and I look forward to visiting that place sometime soon again. Can I stay there? NO, I don't think so for now. Most of my friends have left Netherlands, so it will be boring for me. undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Go To The Netherlands Or Remain In Nigeria? by omega25red(m): 1:17am On Mar 24, 2009
@ poster would they let you take a leave of absence from your job? that might help you not loose your job while you go and try the waters in Holland

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Go To The Netherlands Or Remain In Nigeria? by jerseyguy(m): 1:55am On Mar 24, 2009
Do you have children? If yes, then for their sakes, I will urge you to give them the opporunity to have solid western education like you. Based on the information you have provided, you qualified for this visa b/c of your graduate degree from Holland.

Even if you make a lot of moola in Naija to send your children to a foreign college, it may not be the same as giving them the opportunity of being "dual" residents. I still think Naija will have to really "implode" before we can start rebuilding for a better future. You and family will have that second country to live when we thinks really break down in Naija.

As a poster mentioned, if you can get the leave of absence to settle your family there and then back to work again in Naija - this will be a great option. I know you said you have decided to stay put, but if you have children, please think about their future!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Go To The Netherlands Or Remain In Nigeria? by mrsjohnson22: 5:24pm On Oct 12, 2016
Can temporary residence and work permit be used to get a job in netherland.also what are my changes as a trained it person?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Go To The Netherlands Or Remain In Nigeria? by JEMMYP(f): 7:45pm On Oct 26, 2016
Is Netherlands embassy still responsible for visa process for Netherlands shengen visa applicants? I read that France embassy is. I want to apply but kind of confused which embassy to use considering I am going to the Netherlands

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Go To The Netherlands Or Remain In Nigeria? by Pidggin(f): 9:49pm On Oct 26, 2016
megastu:
Fellow Nairalanders, i need your candid opinion and also if it were you, what would you do.

A new policy just came out that allows people who have masters degree or PHD from holland to be able to get a residence permit and then move to holland to find work or become self-employed. Now i have been issued with a visa to go to holland to apply for the residence permit. The issue now is; do i leave my job in Nigeria and take my family to holland? i am still contemplating. ADVISE.

Things were better during GEJ's administration so I won't fault you on your decision to remain in Nigeria but I am sure you are regretting now that Buhari is our president

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Go To The Netherlands Or Remain In Nigeria? by megastu(m): 5:12pm On Aug 31, 2019
My brother, remember this? Its 10 years now!
adexchamp:

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Go To The Netherlands Or Remain In Nigeria? by MrsInvisible(f): 6:29pm On Aug 31, 2019
Go for Netherlands. Is great there, good opportunities available and the school system is fine. Think about your kids!!

But there are 2 things to consider: do you understand Dutch? Have you seen a good job opportunity there already??

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Go To The Netherlands Or Remain In Nigeria? by suxes2005(m): 5:57am On Sep 01, 2019
megastu:
My brother, remember this? Its 10 years now!

How’s it ?

You said you were staying back in Nigeria, hope it went well as planned?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Go To The Netherlands Or Remain In Nigeria? by ednut1(m): 7:14am On Sep 01, 2019
adexchamp:

wild dreams

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Go To The Netherlands Or Remain In Nigeria? by ednut1(m): 7:14am On Sep 01, 2019
suxes2005:

How’s it ?

u know the answer to this

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Go To The Netherlands Or Remain In Nigeria? by suxes2005(m): 7:21am On Sep 01, 2019
ednut1:
u know the answer to this

Nop, I do not.

Fine, so many bad shit happened within that ten years - Nigeria literarily deteriorated ...

But then, nah my side I see, some people dey cash out big time.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Go To The Netherlands Or Remain In Nigeria? by DexterousOne(m): 8:01am On Sep 01, 2019
jerseyguy:

Do you have children? If yes, then for their sakes, I will urge you to give them the opporunity to have solid western education like you. Based on the information you have provided, you qualified for this visa b/c of your graduate degree from Holland.

Even if you make a lot of moola in Naija to send your children to a foreign college, it may not be the same as giving them the opportunity of being "dual" residents. I still think Naija will have to really "implode" before we can start rebuilding for a better future. You and family will have that second country to live when we thinks really break down in Naija.

As a poster mentioned, if you can get the leave of absence to settle your family there and then back to work again in Naija - this will be a great option. I know you said you have decided to stay put, but if you have children, please think about their future!

Just like you

I really see Nigeria imploding as well

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Go To The Netherlands Or Remain In Nigeria? by megastu(m): 11:12pm On Feb 03, 2020
Yes its been all good.

It pains me how the security situation has deteriorated so badly. You cant enjoy road trips as before. It's all good.

When I wanted to start my second masters, I had option of going abroad but didn't opt for it. I am currently doing my MBA at the Lagos Business School. By the way, the school is better ranked and more expensive that very many schools abroad.

suxes2005:

How’s it ?

2 Likes

Re: Go To The Netherlands Or Remain In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:02am On Feb 04, 2020
[quote author=adexchamp post=3632274]

GOOD CHOICE, NAIJA GO BETTER SOON[/quote
Hmmm u made this comment since 2009 when Nigeria never worst.....Are you still in 9ja, vision 2020 is here

2 Likes

Re: Go To The Netherlands Or Remain In Nigeria? by laivwire(m): 10:48am On May 16, 2020
adexchamp:

It's 2020 now, are you still confident about this statement?

2 Likes

Re: Go To The Netherlands Or Remain In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:50pm On May 16, 2020
laivwire:

It's 2020 now, are you still confident about this statement?
grin

1 Like

Re: Go To The Netherlands Or Remain In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:51pm On May 16, 2020
Netherlands is the greatest country in the world. You have to learn how to speak Dutch if you want to achieve your full potential.
Re: Go To The Netherlands Or Remain In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:10pm On May 16, 2020
suxes2005:

How’s it ?

1 Like

Re: Go To The Netherlands Or Remain In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:58am On Sep 14, 2021
adexchamp:

Wow...and you said it...Naija don better!
Re: Go To The Netherlands Or Remain In Nigeria? by megastu(m): 10:53am On Sep 14, 2021
Hahahahahahaha.

I Just saw this post and laughed. We came back from school in Europe when $ was still $1-N120. Now you know what $ is today.
feckos:

Wow...and you said it...Naija don better!
Re: Go To The Netherlands Or Remain In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:50am On Sep 14, 2021
megastu:
Hahahahahahaha.

I Just saw this post and laughed. We came back from school in Europe when $ was still $1-N120. Now you know what $ is today.

So are you still in Nigeria now?

Honestly some of us believed so much in Naija...my wife won't even forgive me for all the ignored opportunities abroad...here I am today desperately looking for an escape route by all means at least for my kids.

Naija is looking hopeless by the day.

1 Like

Re: Go To The Netherlands Or Remain In Nigeria? by Limassol(m): 2:10pm On Sep 14, 2021
feckos:

So are you still in Nigeria now?

Honestly some of us believed so much in Naija...my wife won't even forgive me for all the ignored opportunities abroad...here I am today desperately looking for an escape route by all means at least for my kids.

Naija is looking hopeless by the day.
You should be forgiven for your miscalculations and missteps,however, you should be noted as an individual with little foresight ,morever, you are not alone - alot of people who actually have the means to leave never did mainly due to wishful thinking that "the country will get better in the foreseeable future". Am glad such people are now learning the hard way. Additionally, i sincerely hope young people take note and make hay while the sun shines.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Embassies In Romania, Hungary Receive Over 200 Nigerians From Ukraine / Motives Behind The Constant Desire To Travel Abroad / Airlines Will Now Compensate Passengers For Delay, Cancelled Flights - Minister

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.