Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,248 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:17 AM

Students Coming To The Netherlands-things You Should Know - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Students Coming To The Netherlands-things You Should Know (13694 Views)

Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK / For Nigerian Illegals In The Netherlands, It Is A Tough And Risky Life / Any Nigerian Studying In The Netherlands? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Students Coming To The Netherlands-things You Should Know by wurajone(f): 3:47pm On Aug 04, 2012
When you have made the decision to come and study in Holland, you will need to prepare for your stay. As an international student You will probably need a visa and/or a residence permit. In addition, you must make sure you have adequate insurance and arrange for accommodation and proper funding for your stay.

*EXPENSES..
Your daily expenses include food, public transport, books, clothes, cinema tickets. etc, But you also need to take into account the costs for housing and insurance. Experience has shown that students living and studying in Holland for one year spend between €800 and €1,100 a month.

*FOOD..
Food is estimated to take third of your income. Many cities have pubs (eetcafés) where you can get a good meal at a good price. But the cheapest way to eat is to do your own cooking.
Some average prices: a cup of coffee/tea in a café: €2, a cheese sandwich: €3, dinner in a typical student restaurant: €10. Most supermarkets offer a variety of brands. It is worth comparing the prices to find the cheapest option.

*HOUSING..
In Holland, students usually do not live on campus but have their own room.
Holland does not have a tradition of on-campus accommodation. Most students live in or near their university town.
There are many options for arranging the accommodation that suits you best, but make sure you start looking for a room as soon as possible.
Make sure you check at your university whether they can arrange a room.

*What to expect...
You may have to share the shower, toilet, kitchen and living room with other students. Also, the rooms may be quite small in comparison to what you are used to.

*RENT & BILLS:
The costs depend on the city where you study, what is included in the rent and the arrangements made by the institution. Housing in Amsterdam for example is more expensive than in smaller towns.
An average room in Holland costs somewhere between €300 to €600 a month.
Before you take on a room, make sure you check what bills are included in the rent, as this may have a large impact on your budget. Some accommodations include gas, electricity, TV and Internet in the rent, for others you are expected to pay them separately.
Most rental contracts run for at least six months or a year when you are enrolled on a course programme.

Furnished or unfurnished?

Find out if the room is furnished or unfurnished. The quality can vary greatly, and furnishings may range from just a bed and a chair to a fully-equipped room with an internet connection. If you decide to go for an unfurnished room, you can buy cheap furniture at second-hand shops in your city.

You can also take a look at *Marketstuff*, a website where students can buy and sell furniture and other second-hand goods like bikes, household equipment and text books.

*Check your contract

Make sure you read your rental contract before signing it. Check what you are allowed to do with your room, for example, you may not be allowed to paint the walls. Also ask who you should speak to if you have a problem, for example a blocked drain.

If you have a complaint about your accommodation, you should speak first to the person directly responsible. If you need help, you can ask the housing officer or accommodation coordinator at your university.
If you want to look for accommodation yourself, you can try these websites: easykamer.nl, erasmate .

*WORKING WHILE STUDYING:

if you are from the EU/EEA, you are free to work without restrictions.
If you are from a country outside the EU/EEA there are some restrictions if you want to take a job next to your studies. You need a permit (your employer needs to apply for a work permit for you), and you can only work for a maximum of ten hours a week or, instead, you can work full-time during the summer months June, July and August.

STICK TO THE RULES…

Some students take jobs in, for example, cafes and restaurants through unofficial channels, where the employer does not pay any social security contributions for them. The pay for such jobs is usually higher than for regular
jobs, but it is important to realize that this practice (called zwartwerken, or ‘working in the black’) is illegal, and means that you cannot claim any rights as an employee. Moreover, you will not be insured in the event of a work-related accident. You should also be aware that if you need a work permit and your employer lets you work without one, he or she risks a high fine in the event of discovery. In the worst case you
might even lose your residence permit.

*HOW TO FIND A PART-TIME JOB

The easiest way to find a job is through an employment agency, or uitzendbureau. Some agencies specialize in jobs for students. The student affairs office at the Dutch institution where you are enrolled can provide
addresses or may even have their own job agency. Of course you can also respond to advertisements or search for a job on the Internet. The following websites may be helpful:
www.undutchables.nl
www.international.monsterboard.nl
www.dutchisnotrequired.nl/
www.studentenbaan.nl (in Dutch)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Students Coming To The Netherlands-things You Should Know by pdesmond1(m): 5:36pm On Aug 04, 2012
wurajone: When you have made the decision to come and study in Holland, you will need to prepare for your stay. As an international student You will probably need a visa and/or a residence permit. In addition, you must make sure you have adequate insurance and arrange for accommodation and proper funding for your stay.

*EXPENSES..
Your daily expenses include food, public transport, books, clothes, cinema tickets. etc, But you also need to take into account the costs for housing and insurance. Experience has shown that students living and studying in Holland for one year spend between €800 and €1,100 a month.

*FOOD..
Food is estimated to take third of your income. Many cities have pubs (eetcafés) where you can get a good meal at a good price. But the cheapest way to eat is to do your own cooking.
Some average prices: a cup of coffee/tea in a café: €2, a cheese sandwich: €3, dinner in a typical student restaurant: €10. Most supermarkets offer a variety of brands. It is worth comparing the prices to find the cheapest option.

*HOUSING..
In Holland, students usually do not live on campus but have their own room.
Holland does not have a tradition of on-campus accommodation. Most students live in or near their university town.
There are many options for arranging the accommodation that suits you best, but make sure you start looking for a room as soon as possible.
Make sure you check at your university whether they can arrange a room.

*What to expect...
You may have to share the shower, toilet, kitchen and living room with other students. Also, the rooms may be quite small in comparison to what you are used to.

*RENT & BILLS:
The costs depend on the city where you study, what is included in the rent and the arrangements made by the institution. Housing in Amsterdam for example is more expensive than in smaller towns.
An average room in Holland costs somewhere between €300 to €600 a month.
Before you take on a room, make sure you check what bills are included in the rent, as this may have a large impact on your budget. Some accommodations include gas, electricity, TV and Internet in the rent, for others you are expected to pay them separately.
Most rental contracts run for at least six months or a year when you are enrolled on a course programme.

Furnished or unfurnished?

Find out if the room is furnished or unfurnished. The quality can vary greatly, and furnishings may range from just a bed and a chair to a fully-equipped room with an internet connection. If you decide to go for an unfurnished room, you can buy cheap furniture at second-hand shops in your city.

You can also take a look at *Marketstuff*, a website where students can buy and sell furniture and other second-hand goods like bikes, household equipment and text books.

*Check your contract

Make sure you read your rental contract before signing it. Check what you are allowed to do with your room, for example, you may not be allowed to paint the walls. Also ask who you should speak to if you have a problem, for example a blocked drain.

If you have a complaint about your accommodation, you should speak first to the person directly responsible. If you need help, you can ask the housing officer or accommodation coordinator at your university.
If you want to look for accommodation yourself, you can try these websites: easykamer.nl, erasmate .

*WORKING WHILE STUDYING:

if you are from the EU/EEA, you are free to work without restrictions.
If you are from a country outside the EU/EEA there are some restrictions if you want to take a job next to your studies. You need a permit (your employer needs to apply for a work permit for you), and you can only work for a maximum of ten hours a week or, instead, you can work full-time during the summer months June, July and August.

STICK TO THE RULES…

Some students take jobs in, for example, cafes and restaurants through unofficial channels, where the employer does not pay any social security contributions for them. The pay for such jobs is usually higher than for regular
jobs, but it is important to realize that this practice (called zwartwerken, or ‘working in the black’) is illegal, and means that you cannot claim any rights as an employee. Moreover, you will not be insured in the event of a work-related accident. You should also be aware that if you need a work permit and your employer lets you work without one, he or she risks a high fine in the event of discovery. In the worst case you
might even lose your residence permit.

*HOW TO FIND A PART-TIME JOB

The easiest way to find a job is through an employment agency, or uitzendbureau. Some agencies specialize in jobs for students. The student affairs office at the Dutch institution where you are enrolled can provide
addresses or may even have their own job agency. Of course you can also respond to advertisements or search for a job on the Internet. The following websites may be helpful:
www.undutchables.nl
• international.monsterboard.nl
www.dutchisnotrequired.nl/
www.studentenbaan.nl (in Dutch)

Nice information, its really wonderful reading a detailed explanation. Hope to get more update from guys and girls who ar either studying/working or living in the Netherlands.

1 Like

Re: Students Coming To The Netherlands-things You Should Know by newacca: 9:03pm On Aug 04, 2012
Great work. well done. This is a rich information. Dank u smiley
Re: Students Coming To The Netherlands-things You Should Know by emmerks(m): 11:49pm On Aug 04, 2012
@wurajone,

Thanks for ur comment on the other thread about getting admission In the Netherlands, I will really appreciate ur assistance, most especially since the person who wants to accomodate me over there is in amsterdam. I don't mind other cities though.

Pls wurajone I will really appreciate ur assistance.
My pin is 21BF5CC9
Re: Students Coming To The Netherlands-things You Should Know by wurajone(f): 12:33pm On Aug 05, 2012
emmerks: @wurajone,

Thanks for ur comment on the other thread about getting admission In the Netherlands, I will really appreciate ur assistance, most especially since the person who wants to accomodate me over there is in amsterdam. I don't mind other cities though.

Pls wurajone I will really appreciate ur assistance.
My pin is 21BF5CC9
Ok! No problems.
Re: Students Coming To The Netherlands-things You Should Know by learn(f): 4:36pm On Aug 05, 2012
j
Re: Students Coming To The Netherlands-things You Should Know by wurajone(f): 5:05pm On Aug 05, 2012
learn: wurajone, pls can u mail me at Schoolgirl352@yahoo.nl am a student here too
I'll do that.takia
Re: Students Coming To The Netherlands-things You Should Know by pdesmond1(m): 6:53pm On Aug 05, 2012
learn: wurajone, pls can u mail me at Schoolgirl352@yahoo.nl am a student here too

Were are you studying? Do you have a different opinion? Thanks for coming by
Re: Students Coming To The Netherlands-things You Should Know by wurajone(f): 7:29pm On Aug 05, 2012
p.desmond:

Were are you studying? Do you have a different opinion? Thanks for coming by
desmond,why the beef now,c'mon close your eyez. grin grin grin
Re: Students Coming To The Netherlands-things You Should Know by learn(f): 11:27pm On Aug 05, 2012
hi desmond, dont have a different opinion she is correct, dont have a lot of naija students here, exicted hearing from a female student . babe u havent mailed me , i dey wait ohhh
Re: Students Coming To The Netherlands-things You Should Know by pdesmond1(m): 11:32pm On Aug 05, 2012
wurajone:
desmond,why the beef now,c'mon close your eyez. grin grin grin

No I wasn't beafing anyone, I just asked if she have a different opninion regarding student life over there in Netherlands. For the records, my eyes are open grin
Re: Students Coming To The Netherlands-things You Should Know by wurajone(f): 11:47pm On Aug 05, 2012
learn: hi desmond, dont have a different opinion she is correct, dont have a lot of naija students here, exicted hearing from a female student . babe u havent mailed me , i dey wait ohhh
Mailed you,Check ur mail
Re: Students Coming To The Netherlands-things You Should Know by wurajone(f): 11:51pm On Aug 05, 2012
p.desmond:

No I wasn't beafing anyone, I just asked if she have a different opninion regarding student life over there in Netherlands. For the records, my eyes are open grin
Ok.just kidding though,howz it going?update me tomorrow,hope we go pop somtin. lolz
Re: Students Coming To The Netherlands-things You Should Know by pdesmond1(m): 11:26am On Aug 06, 2012
wurajone:
Ok.just kidding though,howz it going?update me tomorrow,hope we go pop somtin. lolz

Lolz, hope and pray dearie.
Re: Students Coming To The Netherlands-things You Should Know by Nobody: 4:48pm On Aug 06, 2012
wurajone:

did you move to the netherlands from nigeria? are you studying there? i'll like to have your contact for further information i need for someone. thanks
Re: Students Coming To The Netherlands-things You Should Know by wurajone(f): 8:20pm On Aug 06, 2012
diluminati:

did you move to the netherlands from nigeria? are you studying there? i'll like to have your contact for further information i need for someone. thanks
Yes!I moved from naija.work,skool,and live here.if its what we can discuss here,pls ask so other pple can learn,and if its not, drop ur contact and I'll get back to u.
Re: Students Coming To The Netherlands-things You Should Know by Nobody: 11:20pm On Aug 06, 2012
wurajone:
Yes!I moved from naija.work,skool,and live here.if its what we can discuss here,pls ask so other pple can learn,and if its not, drop ur contact and I'll get back to u.
thanks sis. nameenp@yahoo.com. Pls let me know its from you. Il ask you some questions then.
Re: Students Coming To The Netherlands-things You Should Know by wurajone(f): 7:29am On Aug 07, 2012
diluminati:
thanks sis. nameenp@yahoo.com. Pls let me know its from you. Il ask you some questions then.
Yu welcom.check your mail pls.
Re: Students Coming To The Netherlands-things You Should Know by Maxymilliano(m): 8:39am On Aug 07, 2012
Hi WJ, sent U a Pm earlier, got few questions to ask... Cheers.
Re: Students Coming To The Netherlands-things You Should Know by wurajone(f): 8:49am On Aug 07, 2012
To interact with other students In the Netherlands,its advisable you join the official Facebook page for prospective, admitted and current students, alumni and staff of your institutions. You can ask questions,comment and post your own discussions.
Re: Students Coming To The Netherlands-things You Should Know by wurajone(f): 8:52am On Aug 07, 2012
Maxymilliano: Hi WJ, sent U a Pm earlier, pls can U drop me a line at Maxyma10@gmail.com, got few questions to ask... Cheers.
Oh ok!
Re: Students Coming To The Netherlands-things You Should Know by goodtalk(m): 11:39am On Aug 08, 2012
Hi wj.
your tread is quite enlightning, i have some important questions to ask. cheers!! grin
Re: Students Coming To The Netherlands-things You Should Know by justwise(m): 11:46am On Aug 08, 2012
Guys how about sharing info here for others to benefit rather than private chat? The purpose of the forum is defeated if everybody goes offline to discus.

2 Likes

Re: Students Coming To The Netherlands-things You Should Know by Nobody: 3:16pm On Aug 08, 2012
justwise: Guys how about sharing info here for others to benefit rather than private chat? The purpose of the forum is defeated if everybody goes offline to discus.

there are some questions i rather not ask in an open forum
Re: Students Coming To The Netherlands-things You Should Know by pdesmond1(m): 7:47pm On Aug 08, 2012
diluminati:

there are some questions i rather not ask in an open forum

Like what questions?
Re: Students Coming To The Netherlands-things You Should Know by wurajone(f): 10:15pm On Aug 08, 2012
justwise: Guys how about sharing info here for others to benefit rather than private chat? The purpose of the forum is defeated if everybody goes offline to discus.

Noted! Tnx
Re: Students Coming To The Netherlands-things You Should Know by wurajone(f): 10:16pm On Aug 08, 2012
p.desmond:

Like what questions?
@desmond Congratulations dear,hope to see u in Netherlands soon,
Re: Students Coming To The Netherlands-things You Should Know by pdesmond1(m): 10:31pm On Aug 08, 2012
wurajone:
@desmond Congratulations dear,hope to see u in Netherlands soon,

Ofcourse you will.....
Re: Students Coming To The Netherlands-things You Should Know by wurajone(f): 11:51pm On Aug 08, 2012
goodtalk: Hi wj.
your tread is quite enlightning, i have some important questions to ask. cheers!! grin
Ok.and what are the important questions?
Re: Students Coming To The Netherlands-things You Should Know by Nobody: 6:33am On Aug 09, 2012
@wura

you've got mail.
Re: Students Coming To The Netherlands-things You Should Know by wurajone(f): 3:16pm On Aug 09, 2012
diluminati: @wura

you've got mail.
Aiit.
Re: Students Coming To The Netherlands-things You Should Know by Nobody: 6:51pm On Aug 09, 2012
thanks wura. you've got a reply

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

A Nigerian, Adebayo Ogunlesi,  has Acquired The London Gatwick Airport / How Much It Cost To Charter A Private Jet / Tanker Drivers Cause Traffic Gridlock In Lagos This Morning (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.