Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,195 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:26 AM

North Would Have Regretted Nigeria's Break-up, Says Dikko - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / North Would Have Regretted Nigeria's Break-up, Says Dikko (2380 Views)

Why The North Would Continue To Lead! Photo / If Buhari Had Been Killed , The North Would Have Razed Nigeria Down / Boko-Haram Carnage Making Nigeria Break-up Less Likely - Soyinka (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

North Would Have Regretted Nigeria's Break-up, Says Dikko by comfort3: 5:02pm On Feb 12, 2009
North would have regretted Nigeria's break-up, says Dikko
From Saxone Akhaine, Kaduna

SECOND Republic Minister of Transport and Special Duties, Alhaji Umaru Dikko, yesterday revisited the events that preceded the Nigerian Civil War and the North's last minute withdrawal of support for the break-up of the country.

He said with the creation of more states, the strength of the East was weakened and urged the present leaders to encourage the policy to strengthen federalism and the nation's unity.

Dikko spoke at the occasion to commemorate the death of the former Premier of Northern region and Sardauna of Sokoto, Sir Ahmadu Bello. He accused the present leadership of the nation of pursing monetary gains rather than imbibing the legacies of Sardauna.

He pointed out that the North would have regretted the initial agenda mooted by some of its leaders and other prominent individuals from other parts of the nation under the regime of Gen. Yakubu Gowon to break the country, "but for the insistence by delegation from the defunct Midwestern region who vehemently supported that Nigeria should continue to remain as one entity.

"But through states' creation under the same Gen. Gowon, we were able to frustrate the agenda of Odumegwu-Ojukwu, who wanted the country to break up, so that he can have control of the oil region in the East and later deal with us. In fact, it was the creation of more states out of the former regions that save the situation, and also strengthened the nation's federalism. "

Dikko argued that "when Gowon took over government there was a constitutional conference, people from the Northern, Eastern and Western regions came together to say which way Nigeria should go. Because, at that time, the country was in turbulence and anything could have happened.

"So, we went, some people were saying Nigeria should break up. All the regions supported the idea, except Midwest (now Edo and Delta states), which said no, the federation should remain and continue. We went as Northern delegation, led by Sir. Kashim Ibrahim, Governor under the Sardauna to Lagos to discuss the matter."

According to him, the prompt intervention of himself (Dikko) and the former Secretary to the Government of the Northern Region, Alhaji Ali Akilu, after conferring with the Governor of the defunct Northern Region, the late Gen. Hassan Katsina that turned the tide against the agenda to disintegrate the nation by consensus.

Dikko also recalled how the head of state, Gen. Murtala Ramat Muhammed told Gowon that the reason why Sardauna was killed was "for us to loose the control of power in Nigeria totally, and he said this can never happen to us, the country would not break up, we shall continue under one nation and as a country in unity.

"The design was aborted. The design was that if Nigeria was allowed to break up, Ojukwu would have full control of the oil region and later turn back to deal with the North by subjugating us. So, we then decided that states must be created in the East, North and other parts of the country to weaken the power of Ojukwu and strengthen federalism."

He continued: "I can still remember vividly how one Emir in the North, he is still alive told some of us who went round to tell our people in all parts of the North why we should no longer support the idea of the country breaking up. The Emir told us that we have gone to collect money to suppress the idea to break up Nigeria. When the time comes I will mention his name that is when I am writing my book."

Dikko therefore advised the present leaders to be committed to states creation to strengthen the unity of the nation in the face of complaints of marginalisation.

Several retrenched workers of Kaduna Textiles Limited (KTL) were at the venue of the occasion to protest the lost legacies of Sardauna of Sokoto, while carrying placards demonstrating how the present political leaders destroyed the industry in the North.

The Textiles Workers Union Secretary-General and Vice President of Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Alhaji Issa Aremu, said that "the strategy of self- reliance of the late premier was to reverse this dependent strategy."
Re: North Would Have Regretted Nigeria's Break-up, Says Dikko by auwal87(m): 5:10pm On Feb 12, 2009
*comfort:

"So, we went, some people were saying Nigeria should break up. All the regions supported the idea, except Midwest (now Edo and Delta states), which said no, the federation should remain and continue. We went as Northern delegation, led by Sir. Kashim Ibrahim, Governor under the Sardauna to Lagos to discuss the matter."

They will be the first to say YES now.
Re: North Would Have Regretted Nigeria's Break-up, Says Dikko by Eziachi: 5:39pm On Feb 12, 2009
*comfort:

One day the truth and nothing but the truth will be told and its gradually coming out.
1. Mutilation of Nigeria through meaningless state creation has nothing to do with development but a ploy to wage a division between Igbos and their brainless cousins/neighbours, especially the hostile Ijaws people.

2. The war against Biafran people was all about oil and not about keeping Nigeria united.

3. Edo/Delta non Igbos, I wonder were your bright idea of One Nigeria then has got you today? You must have enjoyed it so much. And I wonder what your answer would had been today. ("When a man on travelling poowed in the middle of the road, on his return, flies will welcome him back home"wink A lesson for all of us!!!
Re: North Would Have Regretted Nigeria's Break-up, Says Dikko by asha80(m): 5:43pm On Feb 12, 2009
Eziachi don land cheesy
Re: North Would Have Regretted Nigeria's Break-up, Says Dikko by Eziachi: 5:57pm On Feb 12, 2009
asha 80:

Eziachi don land cheesy
@asha 80,
My goodfriend, I am still in mid air, I haven't even landed yet. You spoke too soon.
Re: North Would Have Regretted Nigeria's Break-up, Says Dikko by asha80(m): 6:01pm On Feb 12, 2009
@asha 80,
My goodfriend, I am still in mid air, I haven't even landed yet. You spoke too soon.[/quote]

shocked shocked

Re: North Would Have Regretted Nigeria's Break-up, Says Dikko by Jakumo(m): 6:03pm On Feb 12, 2009
The only worthwhile act ever attempted by General "The Loser" Buhari, throughout his miserable life, was the time when the then military dictator of Nigeria assigned kidnappers to track former minister Umaru Dicko down in London, sedate him like an escapee game animal, seal him in a wooden crate and load that crate in the cargo hold aboard a Nigeria-bound aircraft positioned at Gatwick Airport.

Umaru Dicko had embezzled a MASSIVE fortune from the Nigerian state treasury during his tenure as Federal Minister of Transport in the doomed Shagari regime in the 1980's, and Buhari, having just seized power from that gang of villains in a military coup, was determined to reel in a Big Fish from among the departing sea of looters that occupied key government positions in the overthrown Shagari regime.

Umaru Dicko is living proof that CRIME PAYS in Nigeria, but his ramblings are still quite entertaining nonetheless.
Re: North Would Have Regretted Nigeria's Break-up, Says Dikko by naijaking1: 7:37pm On Feb 12, 2009
Strategy to weaken the East by state creation: a blind but barely educated person could have seen this idiotic ploy since the 1970s. The ploy continues today, with the Igbos having only 5 states, despite having the largest numerical strenght of all the political zones.

Even here on N/L, many people have not made the connection between tribal subjugation of the Easterners/Igbos and the Hausa Fulani desire to control all other tribes in Nigeria. Igbos- first, now is the Niger Deltans(who insisted on federalism and sabotaged the Igbos with all their power), next--maybe Yoruba, or the Benue/Plateau regions.

Bye the way, anybody remembers the 2.8 billion scandal involving Dikko and Saraki at a time when the national budget was about 5.2 billion? When you give too much power to anyone person or region, you give them the opportunity to steal more than half of the national budget in one swipe.

That's what I mean by true federalism grin
Re: North Would Have Regretted Nigeria's Break-up, Says Dikko by comfort3: 11:01pm On Feb 12, 2009
wink
Re: North Would Have Regretted Nigeria's Break-up, Says Dikko by udezue(m): 12:05am On Feb 13, 2009
The Midwest non Igbos were too smart.

NOT.
Re: North Would Have Regretted Nigeria's Break-up, Says Dikko by RichyBlacK(m): 12:21am On Feb 13, 2009
Alhaji Umaru Dikko is a goat!

All this talk and he failed to mention the senseless murder of Igbo civilians all across Nigeria? angry
Re: North Would Have Regretted Nigeria's Break-up, Says Dikko by naijaking1: 2:54am On Feb 13, 2009
Assuming it was true that Midwesterners prevailed on the northerners to "weaken" the Igbos. The action of midwestern elites like Adaka Boro, Saro wiwa, Clark, and others might be supportive of this assumption, but after 30 years, Niger delta devastated, Saro-wiwa hanged, do you think anybody has learnt any lesson? I heard Enaharo was just pleading for regional autonomy, too late, if you ask me.
Re: North Would Have Regretted Nigeria's Break-up, Says Dikko by adconline(m): 4:39am On Feb 13, 2009
Revisionists trying to rewrite history. Was the war caused because of oil or innocent killing of Igbos? What was the contribution of oil to Naija's economy before the war?
Re: North Would Have Regretted Nigeria's Break-up, Says Dikko by osisi2(f): 4:46am On Feb 13, 2009
wind don blow
we don see chicken nyash
Re: North Would Have Regretted Nigeria's Break-up, Says Dikko by Dede1(m): 5:09am On Feb 13, 2009
When Gowon took over power in the jungle called Nigeria, there is nobody from the Eastern Region that attended constitutional conference. Where did the delegates hold the constitutional conference this scumbag was talking about? There were peace missions held in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and Aburi, Ghana. The only region bent on secession was the east if the orderly succession of C-in-C was not followed.

The Western Region supported the so-called One-Nigeria. The elimination of one of the progressive army officers of Yoruba extraction during the coup of July 29, 1966 moved the region solidly behind the Northern Region and British conspiracy.

The truth and nothing but the truth will come to surface in the jungle called Nigeria sometime in future. My people say that “when an adult takes an object that belongs to a toddler and raises his/her hand up, when the hand starts to ache the adult, he/she must bring the toddler’s object down”.

I hope that the Efulefus among the Ndigbo are listening to the ranting of the ants.
Re: North Would Have Regretted Nigeria's Break-up, Says Dikko by Dede1(m): 5:34am On Feb 13, 2009
adconline:

Revisionists trying to rewrite history. Was the war caused because of oil or innocent killing of Igbos? What was the contribution of oil to Naija's economy before the war?

Some people with dilapidated social order above their shoulders have constantly displayed a wanton ignorance of history when issues surrounding pre-1968 colonial contraption called Nigeria are being discussed.

The pogrom that took place in Northern Region of Nigerian and lack of safety for Eastern Nigerians in certain corners of Nigeria led to the declaration of Biafra.  It must be recalled that the war declared on Biafra by Gowon-led Nigeria was wholly necessitated by the Crude Oil in Eastern Region of Nigeria.

The same manner and reason Patrick Lumumba declared war against Katanga. It is very funny that many dumb Africans would hold Lumumba in high political esteem.
Re: North Would Have Regretted Nigeria's Break-up, Says Dikko by Nobody: 5:58am On Feb 13, 2009
I really wish they could kick these people out of the country. I think I should be consulting Becomerich now angry angry angry angry angry. Statements like these just weakens my faith in Nigeria. Now Becomerich please bring the maps angry angry angry angry. I can't defend Nigeria with statements like these made by an Hausa man. Kick the Hausas out now!! If the Hausa people want a better life after been kicked out, they should start a revolution like MEND is starting.These idiots actually think it's OK for them to enjoy at the detriment of Southerners?. Either allow each state to manage their resources or let the Southerners go cause it seems these people think they are entitled to Nigeria more than others. angry angry angry angry Damn he should've at least kept it to himself.
Re: North Would Have Regretted Nigeria's Break-up, Says Dikko by dayokanu(m): 6:51am On Feb 13, 2009
Why was there pogrom in the first place? Did people just wake up to start killing Igbos all over?

1 Like

Re: North Would Have Regretted Nigeria's Break-up, Says Dikko by mogentle(m): 2:50pm On Feb 13, 2009
So this stooge & bastard is still alive.
God is merciful sha. Umaru Dikko. A shameless thief. shocked
Re: North Would Have Regretted Nigeria's Break-up, Says Dikko by Lagosboy: 3:17pm On Feb 13, 2009
We should remember that at that time £1 was 78 kobo and Dikko stole 2.8 Billion naira sumthin like £3billion pounds or am i wrong here?

Kai Nigeria suppose don crash tey tey
Re: North Would Have Regretted Nigeria's Break-up, Says Dikko by Eziachi: 3:59pm On Feb 13, 2009
Dede1:

When Gowon took over power in the jungle called Nigeria, there is nobody from the Eastern Region that attended constitutional conference. Where did the delegates hold the constitutional conference this scumbag was talking about? There were peace missions held in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and Aburi, Ghana. The only region bent on secession was the east if the orderly succession of C-in-C was not followed.

The Western Region supported the so-called One-Nigeria. The elimination of one of the progressive army officers of Yoruba extraction during the coup of July 29, 1966 moved the region solidly behind the Northern Region and British conspiracy.

The truth and nothing but the truth will come to surface in the jungle called Nigeria sometime in future. My people say that “when an adult takes an object that belongs to a toddler and raises his/her hand up, when the hand starts to ache the adult, he/she must bring the toddler’s object down”.

I hope that the Efulefus among the Ndigbo are listening to the ranting of the ants.

You are very right. When you think of it, Dikko was Mr nobody during that period and wasn't at Aburi, when Ojukwu was surprisingly a lone voice asking or even begging Ogundipe or Adeyinka Adebayo to take over as head of state as the two most senior officers in the army after IRONSI but the two out of fear refused and allow a very low junior officer Gowon to take over ahead of them of which Ojukwu warn them what the outcome will bring the army in the future if you neglect the chain of command.

In Aburi Ojukwu made it clear that he wanted a confederation, where each region will do their own thing with a weak centre and not once was secession mentioned and when you read the munites of Aburi, the word secession was first suggested by Sir Usman Katsina.

Declaration of Biafra stems not only from the pogrom in the north but total dumping of Aburi accord by the north, West and some midwestern elements like Ed Clarke, Enahoro and Saro Wiwa.
Having seen Enahoro spending the last vestige of his old age calling for the same thing he vigorously helped to kill and seeing Saro Wiwa murdered by the Nigerian state, Ed Clarke made to look irrelevant today and the old midwest ravaged, pillaged, tramped, looted and destroyed, the pin has finally dropped.
I wonder what they make of Dikko's comment?
Re: North Would Have Regretted Nigeria's Break-up, Says Dikko by naijaking1: 5:04pm On Feb 13, 2009
Eziachi:

You are very right. When you think of it, Dikko was Mr nobody during that period and wasn't at Aburi, when Ojukwu was surprisingly a lone voice asking or even begging Ogundipe or Adeyinka Adebayo to take over as head of state as the two most senior officers in the army after IRONSI but the two out of fear refused and allow a very low junior officer Gowon to take over ahead of them of which Ojukwu warn them what the outcome will bring the army in the future if you neglect the chain of command.

In Aburi Ojukwu made it clear that he wanted a confederation, where each region will do their own thing with a weak centre and not once was secession mentioned and when you read the munites of Aburi, the word secession was first suggested by Sir Usman Katsina.

Declaration of Biafra stems not only from the pogrom in the north but total dumping of Aburi accord by the north, West and some midwestern elements like Ed Clarke, Enahoro and Saro Wiwa.
Having seen Enahoro spending the last vestige of his old age calling for the same thing he vigorously helped to kill and seeing Saro Wiwa murdered by the Nigerian state, Ed Clarke made to look irrelevant today and the old midwest ravaged, pillaged, tramped, looted and destroyed, the pin has finally dropped
I wonder what they make of Dikko's comment?

My point exactly! I still don't see any seasoned Midwestern politician (Enahoro, etc) publicly regret their position during the Biafran crises, instead they go about repeating the same very lines Ojukwu, Soyinka, and others used in the 1960s.
Re: North Would Have Regretted Nigeria's Break-up, Says Dikko by Bialegend(m): 11:41pm On Feb 13, 2009
Umu igbo, did you notice how ndi awusa, their ass kissers, the Yorubas, edos and other minorities have perfectly avoided this thread? Not to talk about the efulefus. Umaru Dikko have opened the can of worms that they never wanted to hear. Yeye dey smell oo.
Re: North Would Have Regretted Nigeria's Break-up, Says Dikko by bawomolo(m): 5:14am On Feb 14, 2009
The same manner and reason Patrick Lumumba declared war against Katanga. It is very funny that many dumb Africans would hold Lumumba in high political esteem.

i hope your dumbass realizes katanga was a proxy of the Belgian Armed forces.  Belgium basically annexed katango while placing a crony (thsombe) in power

It must be recalled that the war declared on Biafra by Gowon-led Nigeria was wholly necessitated by the Crude Oil in Eastern Region of Nigeria.

war was declared after ojukokoro annexed the midwestern region.  it was only a police action before that.  Why wasn't the neutrality of a sparsely defended midwestern region respected??

1 Like

Re: North Would Have Regretted Nigeria's Break-up, Says Dikko by Moonstone(f): 5:24am On Feb 14, 2009
Is this rocket science or what? The North would be of little power without oil and that is concentrated in the southern part.
On second thought, after seeing some of the replies on this thread, I will hold my tongue. I don't know why Igbos are so against having one Nigeria. If those resources were concentrated elsewhere, they would be fighting tooth and nail  to keep themselves in the loop. That's what i absolutely cannot stand. I can't wait to see the book.
Re: North Would Have Regretted Nigeria's Break-up, Says Dikko by dayokanu(m): 6:35am On Feb 14, 2009
The selective Killing of political leaders of other tribes by Igbo from the 1st coup and The Biafran attack of the Mid west are sensitive topics Easterns would rather avoid when discussing the civil war and these two events were very important in the history of this country and the civil war

1 Like

Re: North Would Have Regretted Nigeria's Break-up, Says Dikko by SamMilla1(m): 10:22am On Feb 14, 2009
Moonstone:

Is this rocket science or what? The North would be of little power without oil and that is concentrated in the southern part.
On second thought, after seeing some of the replies on this thread, I will hold my tongue. I don't know why Igbos are so against having one Nigeria. If those resources were concentrated elsewhere, they would be fighting tooth and nail  to keep themselves in the loop. That's what i absolutely cannot stand. I can't wait to see the book.

Exactly, This has always brought me to my senses,
Why is it difficult for us IgboS to understand that we would have done the same if the so called oil is concentrated in the northern or western region. My only regret so far is that at this stage, the oil funds are not being managed properly.
The masses are suffering. The Poor are getting Poorer. The govt which includes the same igbos and westerners are conspiring to steal money and ship overseas. Everybody is greedy. I believe in one Nigeria. No need crying over a spilled milk. The illusion of ''igbos would have been so rich if on our own hunted me a lot when i was a kid.
It was planted into our subconscious minds by our fathers.
To move forward, we must erase that from our minds and understand that our destinies depends on working together for now.
I will remind everyone of us how happy we always are when Nigeria is playing soccer against other countries. Everyone of us jumps up when garba lawal, obafemi martins, kanu nwankwo or rashidi yekini scores.
No one recalls that they come from different tribes of the nation.
Now people, That is how happy we will be if our oil money is properly managed.
If every region is properly given their share of the revenue.
Not some educated and greedy people seizing power and buying mansions all over the world.
Re: North Would Have Regretted Nigeria's Break-up, Says Dikko by Dede1(m): 1:06pm On Feb 15, 2009
bawomolo:

i hope your dumbass realizes katanga was a proxy of the Belgian Armed forces. Belgium basically annexed katango while placing a crony (thsombe) in power

war was declared after ojukokoro annexed the midwestern region. it was only a police action before that. Why wasn't the neutrality of a sparsely defended midwestern region respected??

If you do not have any regards for an extinct maggot such as yourself, which I strongly believed, you should have shown some sense of consideration to other forum community contributors before posting those vestiges of a drooling jackass.

One would have thought that this compound fool understood the primary history of the topic in discussion. Why do you not read to, at least, understand the phrases you have foolishly employed in your write-up? After reading through these disjointed rubbish or self-defecating acts it is not difficult to ascertain that you are one sex-starved and imbecilic simpleton.

For the sake of your skewed and wild intuition, if Katanga was a proxy of Belgium armed forces, the entire nation of Congo Kinshasa, the provinces of Stanleyville and South Kasai were also the proxies of Belgium armed forces. Was it not Belgium that granted Congo Kinshasa her independence in 1960? It did not take more than two years after Congo Kinshasa’s independence for the center to fall apart.

What actual does this fool know about the phrase “Police Action”? I have tried to fathom the misguided relevance few deranged monkeys have tried to attach to Mid-western region and the so-called her inversion by Biafran armed forces. Was it not the same region Awolowo decided to let go rather than fight to keep? Believe me Awolowo could be many things to certain people but he was certainly not a fool and never left any opportunity to chance.
Re: North Would Have Regretted Nigeria's Break-up, Says Dikko by naijaking1: 7:18pm On Feb 15, 2009
Sam Milla:

Why is it difficult for us IgboS to understand that we would have done the same if the so called oil is concentrated in the northern or western region. My only regret so far is that at this stage, the oil funds are not being managed properly.
The masses are suffering. The Poor are getting Poorer. The govt which includes the same igbos and westerners are conspiring to steal money and ship overseas. Everybody is greedy. I believe in one Nigeria. No need crying over a spilled milk. The illusion of ''igbos would have been so rich if on our own hunted me a lot when i was a kid.
To move forward, we must erase that from our minds and understand that our destinies depends on working together for now.
I will remind everyone of us how happy we always are when Nigeria is playing soccer against other countries. Everyone of us jumps up when garba lawal, obafemi martins, kanu nwankwo or rashidi yekini scores.
Not some educated and greedy people seizing power and buying mansions all over the world.

No, no and no. No plausible logic holds that I shouldn't be angry because my neighbor stole from when I was paid, because if he had been paid, i would have stolen from him too. It's ok to make idealistic statements about One Nigeria, and all, but proclaiming that position while ignoring the reality on the ground is simply living in fool's paradise. Igbos alone cannot make one Nigeria, and you can't make one Nigeria by ignoring issues detrimental to the so-called one Nigeria.
Re: North Would Have Regretted Nigeria's Break-up, Says Dikko by Dede1(m): 8:38pm On Feb 15, 2009
Sam Milla:

This is another efulefu that found his or her way to Nairaland forum. The plank of your argument and the logic it conveyed seriously begged for sanity. Please speak for yourself not for the entire Ndigbo. I can not fathom from which part of your bloody arse you pulled out the unfounded allegation you termed illusion that “igbos would have been so rich if on our own”. In the present configuration of Nigeria, where the government of Nigeria has ceded crude oil producing areas to Igbo people’s neighbor, it will fascinate you to know that the quest for sovereign independent state of Biafra is raging as ever.

The people of Igboland have never sought directly or indirectly to takeover or usurp the natural resources located in certain section of the jungle called Nigeria.

I indulge you to read the history of Nigeria properly and you will definitely stumble into the fact that both Northern and Western Regions of Nigeria were very wealthy and thumped Eastern Region of Nigeria before 1951. The people of Eastern Nigeria never cooked up a political machination to destabilize the then mineral resources and agricultural rich regions.

Again, try to read up the early attempts of crude oil exploration in Nigeria by Shell D’Arcy. Northern Region of Nigeria may have a reason to pursue a stake in the oil but has no reason to sow the seeds of political destabilization in Eastern Region. The shameless culprit behind planting seeds of political chaos in the East was Western Nigeria.

(1) (Reply)

Obasanjo Loses His Cool On BBC Over Allegations Of Corruption / Ijaw Expansionism (both To Yorubas, Igbo And Ibibio) / Amnesty: Aggrieved Ex-militants Plan Showdown With Fg

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.