Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,572 members, 7,958,768 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 11:13 PM

Transparency Int’l Rates President Jonathan Govt As Best to Buhari, Obj Govt - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Transparency Int’l Rates President Jonathan Govt As Best to Buhari, Obj Govt (1190 Views)

PUNCH Newspaper Rates President Buhari's 1yr In Office / Real Reason I Resigned From Jonathan’s Govt As SURE-P Chairman – Christopher / Buhari, OBJ And Abdusalami In South Africa (realtime) - Cramjones (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Transparency Int’l Rates President Jonathan Govt As Best to Buhari, Obj Govt by anwo247: 3:15am On May 23, 2015
According to Transparency In­ternational’s data from 1979 till date, the tenures of both General Muhammadu Buhari and former President Olusegun Obasanjo were more corrupt than the tenure of President Goodluck Jonathan.

The data also showed that under the administration of President Jonathan, Nigeria has recorded its best score in the Corruption Perception Index (CPI) since 1979. This is in complete contrast to the sordid picture of rampant corruption being painted by the opposition, ardent critics of the Jonathan administration and much of the media in the last few years – especially in the build up to the general elections.

But the point that the figures from Transparency International make so clearly is that, in com­parative terms, Nigeria is actually much less corrupt today, and per­ceived globally to be much less corrupt today, than it has been in the last 35 years – including under the regimes of General Buhari and President Obasanjo, both of who wear the toga and chant the man­tra of anti-corruption. Shockingly, according to the TI data, President Obasanjo’s first tenure had the worst scale of corruption during the 35 years period between 1979 and 2015.

The TI Corruption Perception Index is a rating of countries from 1 to 100 showing their corruption scale. A rating of 1 is the worst and rating of 100 means a country is completely free of corruption. The pass mark is 50 and any country scoring below 50 is considered a corrupt country.

In the year 2000, Nigeria was ranked the most corrupt country in the world – and improved mar­ginally in 2001 and 2003 when it was rated the second most corrupt nation in the world in the TI’s Cor­ruption Perception Index. This was certainly not under the watch of President Jonathan.

Since 2012, Nigeria has made steady improvements in the CPI. Indeed, under President Jonathan, for the first time in decades, Nige­ria is not in the list of 1-10 most corrupt countries in the world.

In the 2014 Transparency In­ternational’s Corruption Percep­tion Index, issued in December, Nigeria was ranked 136 out of 175 countries surveyed in the re­port. This ranking placed Nigeria, alongside five other countries, as the 39th most corrupt country in the world. This is Nigeria’s best ranking in the last four years.

With this ranking, Nigeria leap­frogged eight countries within a space of one year – from the 31st most corrupt nation in 2013 to the 39th in 2014. This may be regard­ed by cynics as a small achieve­ment: but it represents a big step in the right direction.

Indeed, the administration of President Jonathan deserves some commendation for the positive steps it has taken, and the modest achievements it has made so far, in the war against corruption – rather than the vengeful knocks it is re­ceiving from various quarters.

http://scannewsnigeria.com/news/transparency-intl-rates-president-jonathan-govt-as-best-says-buhari-obasanjo-govts-worse/#.VV-jW7HhTCq.facebook

1 Like

Re: Transparency Int’l Rates President Jonathan Govt As Best to Buhari, Obj Govt by DaBullIT(m): 3:21am On May 23, 2015
Looks like transparency International is seeing an opaque view of Nigeria

Nigerians used to hear of millions , now they steal Billions and Trillions but you want US , WE living in Nigeria to believe your report?

I mean 1997-2007 Nigeria's budget was less than 2 trillion, Last 3 years budget stood at 4.5 trillion, so, a man spends half the nation's budget on campaign for election?

Park well abeg , We don dey see the truth

1 Like

Re: Transparency Int’l Rates President Jonathan Govt As Best to Buhari, Obj Govt by Israel5(m): 3:33am On May 23, 2015
Iro
Re: Transparency Int’l Rates President Jonathan Govt As Best to Buhari, Obj Govt by KingTom(m): 5:11am On May 23, 2015
Please step out, buy fuel for N250 per litre, go back home and read this, then scream Fuuuuuuuuuuuuucccccccckkk GEJ and Thunder will fire PDP, it won't change anything though, but you'll feel so much better. grin
Re: Transparency Int’l Rates President Jonathan Govt As Best to Buhari, Obj Govt by disloman(m): 5:44am On May 23, 2015
DaBullIT:

Nigerians used to hear of millions , now they steal Billions and Trillions but you want US , WE living in Nigeria to believe your report?

Bros!U no c d source?Na wa ooooo.
Re: Transparency Int’l Rates President Jonathan Govt As Best to Buhari, Obj Govt by disloman(m): 5:46am On May 23, 2015
anwo247:
According to Transparency In­ternational’s data from 1979 till date, the tenures of both General Muhammadu Buhari and former President Olusegun Obasanjo were more corrupt than the tenure of President Goodluck Jonathan.

The data also showed that under the administration of President Jonathan, Nigeria has recorded its best score in the Corruption Perception Index (CPI) since 1979. This is in complete contrast to the sordid picture of rampant corruption being painted by the opposition, ardent critics of the Jonathan administration and much of the media in the last few years – especially in the build up to the general elections.

But the point that the figures from Transparency International make so clearly is that, in com­parative terms, Nigeria is actually much less corrupt today, and per­ceived globally to be much less corrupt today, than it has been in the last 35 years – including under the regimes of General Buhari and President Obasanjo, both of who wear the toga and chant the man­tra of anti-corruption. Shockingly, according to the TI data, President Obasanjo’s first tenure had the worst scale of corruption during the 35 years period between 1979 and 2015.

The TI Corruption Perception Index is a rating of countries from 1 to 100 showing their corruption scale. A rating of 1 is the worst and rating of 100 means a country is completely free of corruption. The pass mark is 50 and any country scoring below 50 is considered a corrupt country.

In the year 2000, Nigeria was ranked the most corrupt country in the world – and improved mar­ginally in 2001 and 2003 when it was rated the second most corrupt nation in the world in the TI’s Cor­ruption Perception Index. This was certainly not under the watch of President Jonathan.

Since 2012, Nigeria has made steady improvements in the CPI. Indeed, under President Jonathan, for the first time in decades, Nige­ria is not in the list of 1-10 most corrupt countries in the world.

In the 2014 Transparency In­ternational’s Corruption Percep­tion Index, issued in December, Nigeria was ranked 136 out of 175 countries surveyed in the re­port. This ranking placed Nigeria, alongside five other countries, as the 39th most corrupt country in the world. This is Nigeria’s best ranking in the last four years.

With this ranking, Nigeria leap­frogged eight countries within a space of one year – from the 31st most corrupt nation in 2013 to the 39th in 2014. This may be regard­ed by cynics as a small achieve­ment: but it represents a big step in the right direction.

Indeed, the administration of President Jonathan deserves some commendation for the positive steps it has taken, and the modest achievements it has made so far, in the war against corruption – rather than the vengeful knocks it is re­ceiving from various quarters.

http://scannewsnigeria.com/news/transparency-intl-rates-president-jonathan-govt-as-best-says-buhari-obasanjo-govts-worse/#.VV-jW7HhTCq.facebook
Story! story!! Stooooryyyyy.won so e pe won le ta e l'agege.
Re: Transparency Int’l Rates President Jonathan Govt As Best to Buhari, Obj Govt by eedriyz(m): 5:55am On May 23, 2015
If they just compare it to the OBJ's democracy tenure, then nothing would have been wrong. Comparing a Military system of Govt with Democracy is craziness.

And of what effect were these transparency, we just hear money is missing, nothing ever got returned... no changes

1 Like

Re: Transparency Int’l Rates President Jonathan Govt As Best to Buhari, Obj Govt by illmatic101(m): 6:06am On May 23, 2015
Goodluck remains my hero, BMB my role model
Re: Transparency Int’l Rates President Jonathan Govt As Best to Buhari, Obj Govt by oluwafemi113(m): 6:17am On May 23, 2015
Rubbish talk......

Am so such non of them haven't been to Nigeria before
Re: Transparency Int’l Rates President Jonathan Govt As Best to Buhari, Obj Govt by realtestament(m): 6:59am On May 23, 2015
Most nigerians won't accept dis, GEJ was d best we ever had...

#GOD BLESS YOU GEJ

3 Likes

Re: Transparency Int’l Rates President Jonathan Govt As Best to Buhari, Obj Govt by kemdaniels: 7:32am On May 23, 2015
DaBullIT:

you disagree when they say nigeria is less corrupt and jump to conclusion from your lame opinion bt accept every negativity they spue at nigeria.I tell you man that the love of your country is all she wants from you.
PEACE
Re: Transparency Int’l Rates President Jonathan Govt As Best to Buhari, Obj Govt by anwo247: 9:08am On May 23, 2015
DaBullIT:

Truth like?
Re: Transparency Int’l Rates President Jonathan Govt As Best to Buhari, Obj Govt by anwo247: 9:09am On May 23, 2015
realtestament:

#GOD BLESS YOU GEJ

I personally do agree with you.
Re: Transparency Int’l Rates President Jonathan Govt As Best to Buhari, Obj Govt by chernest2002: 10:10am On May 23, 2015
Wether any one believe it or not gej is still the best since time of corrupt Gowon,obj,shagari,buhari,ibb,Abacha
Re: Transparency Int’l Rates President Jonathan Govt As Best to Buhari, Obj Govt by DaBullIT(m): 12:37am On May 24, 2015
disloman:
Bros!U no c d source?Na wa ooooo.

I see am nah
Re: Transparency Int’l Rates President Jonathan Govt As Best to Buhari, Obj Govt by DaBullIT(m): 12:38am On May 24, 2015
kemdaniels:

you disagree when they say nigeria is less corrupt and jump to conclusion from your lame opinion bt accept every negativity they spue at nigeria.I tell you man that the love of your country is all she wants from you.
PEACE

I beg to differ, with 2 trillion on campaign, madueke, farouk and Co I think the rating is wrong
Re: Transparency Int’l Rates President Jonathan Govt As Best to Buhari, Obj Govt by Obijulius: 12:41am On May 24, 2015
Good morning Nigeria.
Re: Transparency Int’l Rates President Jonathan Govt As Best to Buhari, Obj Govt by otr1(m): 12:49am On May 24, 2015
You mean the same Jonathan, who by his cluelessness and ineptitude, has reduced the Nigerian masses to the direst condition and by his tolerance of corruption and impunity, exalted crooks and thieves to the highest National/Economic position/status possible?

All indicators point to the opposite direction of the title of this thread.
Re: Transparency Int’l Rates President Jonathan Govt As Best to Buhari, Obj Govt by otr1(m): 12:59am On May 24, 2015
realtestament:

#GOD BLESS YOU GEJ
If GEJ's regime is the first you've experience since you knew your left hand from the right, it's understandable. But then, you can not be excused, because you can read about the past you didn't witness.
Re: Transparency Int’l Rates President Jonathan Govt As Best to Buhari, Obj Govt by kemdaniels: 9:25am On May 24, 2015
DaBullIT:

I beg to differ, with 2 trillion on campaign, madueke, farouk and Co I think the rating is wrong
I dont care how much this politicians spend.T.I is trying to let you know that they are stealing less of our money compared to what they did before(i.e if they used 2tr in 2015 then they used 4tr ten yrs ago),bt i guess we have just realised the effect of corruption to nigeria.
PEACE.
Re: Transparency Int’l Rates President Jonathan Govt As Best to Buhari, Obj Govt by DaBullIT(m): 11:39am On May 24, 2015
kemdaniels:

I dont care how much this politicians spend.T.I is trying to let you know that they are stealing less of our money compared to what they did before(i.e if they used 2tr in 2015 then they used 4tr ten yrs ago),bt i guess we have just realised the effect of corruption to nigeria.
PEACE.

I beg to differ ,

Nigeria's budget in 2005

President Obasanjo

Presented N1.618 trillion October 14, 2004.

Passed – April 12, 2005

Authorized N1.8 trillion.

You are telling me that someone used a whole 2 trillion which is more than Nigeria's budget from 1997-2007 has actually done better ?

Or that They have been stealing more than the whole country's budget in the past ?

Riddle me that
[b][/b]
Re: Transparency Int’l Rates President Jonathan Govt As Best to Buhari, Obj Govt by kemdaniels: 2:54pm On May 26, 2015
DaBullIT:

I beg to differ ,

Nigeria's budget in 2005

President Obasanjo

Passed – April 12, 2005

You are telling me that someone used a whole 2 trillion which is more than Nigeria's budget from 1997-2007 has actually done better ?

Or that They have been stealing more than the whole country's budget in the past ?

Riddle me that
[b][/b]
Stealing more than the countries budget is not what i meant bt an analysis to show that there is a reduction according to T.I.We just need to rid this country of these goons and move forward.
Re: Transparency Int’l Rates President Jonathan Govt As Best to Buhari, Obj Govt by kemdaniels: 2:57pm On May 26, 2015
DaBullIT:

I beg to differ ,

Nigeria's budget in 2005

President Obasanjo

Passed – April 12, 2005

Riddle me that
[b][/b]
Stealing more than the countries budget is not what i meant bt an analysis to show that there is a reduction according to T.I.We just need to rid this country of these goons and move forward.And dont think i wont skin this guys alive if i were to be in the helm of affairs in this country.
PEACE

(1) (Reply)

APC Wins 22 LGA Seats In Rivers Council Polls / Origin Of APC Dilemma ( 'must Read') / BREAKING: Bomb Blasts Rips Through Potiskum, Yobe State, 10 Reportedly Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.